BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Switchable Fuse 145 or 162 for dash cams

04-21-2019, 02:41 AM   #1
jksgoh
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2008 E82 125i  [0.00]
Switchable Fuse 145 or 162 for dash cams

Hi guys,

I've tried searching this but can't seem to find a clear answer.

If someone knows of another thread with the answer then if you could please direct me to it it would be much appreciated.

Ideally i wanted to use a Switchable fuse which would turn off as soon as i turned my engine off.

I've tried hard wiring my dash cam (blackvue DR900s-2CH) with a cellink neo battery to fuse 162 as most of the threads i can find about hard wiring a dash cam into a 2 series or M2 seem to use fuse 162, which i think is a fuse for a cigarette lighter or an accessory of some sort - presumably something not so important. (i've attached the fuse box diagrams).
This fuse seems to be a delayed switchable fuse - it maintains 12V for about 3-4 mins after turning off the car and then the voltage will slowly drop (over about 15-20 mins) - i managed to check this with the cellink neo app which shows the voltage/amps in real time.

Over in the M3/3 series section they use Fuse 145, which on their diagram (looks very similar, if not the same, as the m2 one) is a fuse with an engine symbol next to it, and seems to switch off as soon as they turn off the engine. https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=24171108

So I have two questions:

- If I use fuse 162, does it even matter that the car battery is supplying the cellink neo/dash cam for a short period after ive turned the car off? (note it turns on every time i unlock the car as well) I was thinking that in the long run it may decrease the life of my battery ???

- If i use fuse 145 (assuming it is similar to the M3 one), will this be an issue given it is probably supplying some engine component? (general advice about tapping a fuse seems to suggest to try and choose a non important fuse incase something goes wrong)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
crvz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C, '21 F150 Tremor

I used one of the radio fuses (I can't remember specifically, but it was something like 123 or 126). It does stay on for ~10 minutes after the car cuts off, but I'm not worried about that as a general rule, and honestly for when I'm running into a store for a few minutes I like the idea of have captured footage while I'm in a parking lot. I can't imagine it would have a significant impact over the life of the battery, but if someone wants to argue that it means a couple months less overall battery life I would not offer a rebuttal.

I would personally avoid running it along with something that is controlling aspects of the drivetrain, but the point of the fuse is to protect hardware should something fail. If you blew a fuse it shouldn't result in catastrophic engine failure... just replace the fuse and you'd be back up and running (though you might have some engine codes to clear).
Appreciate 0