BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > AFE Twisted Steel Down-pipe, poor QA?

02-12-2019, 09:41 PM   #1
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

AFE Twisted Steel Down-pipe, poor QA?

Need some opinions on this piece... least to say that I am very unimpressed with AFE all the way on this one. Ordered the pipe in October of 2018, I was told it was on the shelf and would be sent out that week..... its now Feb. 12th and I now just get it.

It looks like some trash out of China. Being that I paid a premium, they have since lowered the price, it should have at least been cleaned out properly and inspected closer before shipping.

Here are pics, am I being too picky or does something seem off about it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

China makes the best welding in the world and craps at the same time. And charge accordingly.

It's up to the middleman that gets to decide the price to ask customer.

I'll be kind enough to comment that the problem with your downpipe isn't the welding, nor the cleaning of it. They shouldn't do the 'sleeve and weld' way to begin with, if you know what I mean.

I hope you try to learn a bit more before stereotyping, especially on the quality of the manufacturing, where China is the absolute global leader in terms of both volume AND QUALITY. And we don't even have a close second.
      02-13-2019, 01:33 PM   #3
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Figure of speech, dont lean so far left... but you get my drift. The quality on this piece just seems subpar.

From the design standpoint, I'm curious if their method here will have any drawbacks. I'm feeling iffy on even installing it.

Last edited by Saintjah; 02-13-2019 at 01:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 01:24 PM   #4
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

There's no debating the volume China produces but the quality on certain products varies greatly from very good to trash. The welds look fine but it wasn't cleaned properly and the design (this could be dictated by the vendor) is poor. If a company puts their name on a product it's on them to ensure it's designed properly and of good quality. AFE kind of failed on this one.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #5
NitroBMW
Rep
Drives: M2 & M240i

I don't care for the smaller dimensions of the inner welded pieces. If you were to perform a computer aided visible flow test you'd see that air is very turbulent at each step effectively reducing the diameter of the slip pipe by at least .125 -.200 of an inch.

Nitro
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #6
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Those welds look quite good, basically nickels laid over on one another. The depicted stepping of the pipes isn't going to disrupt flow because the flow is exiting on that side. I'd reach in there to clean out the manufacturing debris.

Lastly, looking at the AFE website, you got exactly what you bought. The pictures show the same exact DP. Plus, these DPs aren't a "premium" price. The list price is $966 and most are selling for $100 less. The Fabspeed catted DP is $1,400. I just paid for $1,450 for the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-48-36...-pipe#overview
      02-17-2019, 09:33 PM   #7
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Those welds look quite good, basically nickels laid over on one another. The depicted stepping of the pipes isn't going to disrupt flow because the flow is exiting on that side. I'd reach in there to clean out the manufacturing debris.

Lastly, looking at the AFE website, you got exactly what you bought. The pictures show the same exact DP. Plus, these DPs aren't a "premium" price. The list price is $966 and most are selling for $100 less. The Fabspeed catted DP is $1,400. I just paid for $1,450 for the HJS Euro 6 300-cell DP.

https://afepower.com/afe-power-48-36...-pipe#overview
You are right on that note. They have since lowered the price since I bought it. Back when I ordered it, it was around 1295. If I had know any better at the time then I would have went with the Fabspeed instead.
Appreciate 0