BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Is the M2 raw?

12-20-2016, 01:24 PM   #23
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommitConfirm View Post
In a word, No.

I too was worried (and still am) about how a car makes you feel. It's less about top trumps and more of an emotional responce for me. The M2 is quick, capable and confident but for me is missing that 'je ne sais quio'
Agreed,same here and the reason I bailed.It's a great car at US prices but overpriced for the UK imo.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 02:27 PM   #24
DETRoadster
Space Force - 4 Star General
Rep
Drives: M2 MG 6MT / Moto Guzzi V7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
See, it's all relative. To me, your E92 M3 is not at all "raw" when compared to my old E86 Z4 M Coupe. You don't even need to use a key to turn it on!

Is the M2 as raw as the Z4MC? No. Is the M2 raw enough to make passengers uncomfortable and still be a better daily driver? Absolutely.
Exactly. It all depends on what you are putting it up against. I feel mine is considerably less "raw" than my 370Z. It's quieter, more comfortable, less twitchy lighter steering, is easier to see out of, lighter clutch and shifting, builds power in a more linear fashion, has 10x the tech and creature comforts. The only place where I find the M to be more "raw" than the Z is in the suspension compliance. The M is stiffer and bounces more over bumps.

All things considered I would not call the M2 "raw", but it is the perfect car for someone who has spent a lot of seat time in far more raw cars and is looking to give up a little of the edge without giving up any of the fun.

Now for the true "raw" experience, i'd have to look to the 1968 Datsun roadster I built. 300+ Hp turbo running 16 pounds of boost, 1800 pound curb weight, 1960s era drum brakes in back, single piston discs up front, convertible, built on what was essentially a 1960s Datsun truck ladder frame with impossibly stiff suspension. Now THAT was a raw driving experience!
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 11:31 PM   #25
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

I've had an E36 M3 as my daily driver for over 20 years, for the past few years fitted with Dinan suspension, exhaust, airbox, slotted rotors and brake caliper upgrades, and a short shift kit. Using that as my benchmark for 'raw,' the M2 is quite a way from it... but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I think like all newer cars, the M2 has too many distracting toys, like that damned idrive and lcd display; I miss using a real physical ignition key; I would prefer no piped in sound but honestly don't think I can differentiate the 'real' from the piped in engine noise. The stock exhaust sounds pretty damned gutsy from outside the car, I'm not sure why BMW felt obligated to mess with phony cabin noise. But it isn't a deal breaker. The car does not sound like a vacuum cleaner... which alas the M3/M4 does.

It's a different driving experience than a car from the 90s, that's certain. Faster than my M3, but it gets moving more effortlessly with the turbo and somehow there is less intimacy between driver and machine as a result. However, there is still plenty of feedback and with a manual still plenty of driver involvement, esp. with the various nannies shut off in sport+ mode -- which is the only 'mode' in my M3. Again, I chuckle when I read commenters moan because the M2 lacks the panoply of driving mode adjustments of the M3/M4. My E36 has no traction control, no 'modes' but one. And I get along just fine. Most of the time, I have my M2 in sport+, unless I'm driving in foul weather, when I'll go to sport and take advantage of the safety/traction nannies. Why anyone would buy this car and toodle around in 'comfort' mode is beyond me.

I do not like the shift throws and will go with a short shift kit soon. It's not as flubby as the stock shifter on my E36 was, but still not the satisfyingly short, precise, flick of the wrist shifting I've gotten accustomed to. I'm going to stick a 'stop' under the clutch pedal to tighten up the range of travel. But other than that, I'm not inclined to start doing mods, at least not until I've spent ten or twenty thousand miles with the car and decided whether it suits me as is or not.

It's definitely a more refined driving experience than my M3; and after the Dinan suspension on my E36, I have to chuckle when I read reviews that call the ride in the M2 'a bit harsh.' It's sufficiently firm, but pretty damned civilized by comparison.

All in all, I like the car. It's the only new BMW I've been inclined to buy for myself for a long time, and I'm not sure another will come along for a long time to come.
Appreciate 3
AYurch50.00
Destroya371.00
      12-21-2016, 09:12 AM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by auf Deutsch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Attuale View Post
My girlfriend has a 228 and I hear you about the throttle and electric steering. It feels so different to my M2 that I hate driving her car. The steering feel is just so weird.

My M2 is not like this at all and feels a lot more raw and connected. Almost like my E46 M3, but you can feel it has electric steering. I'd say the M engineers made sure to make it feel as raw as possible as that is what an M car is about in my opinion.
I am so glad I never experienced the god-like hydraulic steering in a performance car that so many talk about. That said, the M2 steering is crisp, direct, perfectly balanced/weighted with no dead spot off center.

Thus far, my biggest gripe is losing sport throttle mapping when DCT is off.
" I am so glad I never experienced the god-like hydraulic steering in a performance car that so many talk about"

That is TRULY a damn shame ! And it reads as follows

"I am so glad I never experienced the god like feeling that is sex without a condom" that people talk about .
Appreciate 3
gmzanatta1823.00
reppucci339.50
      12-21-2016, 11:41 AM   #27
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
e36 to M2

I came to an M2 from the only other bmw's I have owned (and still own). Both are e36's. 94 325is and 95M3 stock. Very basic cars; more so than your e92 325is. Well balanced, perhaps underpowered, but just right! Feel very connected to the road.

The M2 is bigger and heavier than the e36. The handling, despite the electrical steering, is excellent, perhaps not as fluid as the e36, the extra 120+ horses are welcome and it looks and sounds as if it means business.

You will NOT find it to be a "raw" car at all.

Get it and enjoy it. You will not be disappointed.
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      12-21-2016, 11:42 AM   #28
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
" I am so glad I never experienced the god-like hydraulic steering in a performance car that so many talk about"

That is TRULY a damn shame ! And it reads as follows

"I am so glad I never experienced the god like feeling that is sex without a condom" that people talk about .
lmao!! but sooo true!
Appreciate 0