BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > What would you do if someone drove your M2 like this?

Closed Thread

12-17-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Em-Two View Post
In most cars you have to floor it to hit 60 in 9 seconds? Wow. I've never seen these most cars.

It's hardly a joyride at 1.3 miles and 9 minutes and zero interstate driving. That said, there's no reason for them to drive the car. This is odd indeed. I'd mention it to the manager and demand some sort of explanation/free swag.
Well I'm glad you wouldn't be concerned however it was absolutely a joyride. I've driven a hundred miles without a hard accel flag. This area is also pothole ridden and crowded. He was basically flooring it from light to light. There's zero open road there.

"We use velocity to calculate G-forces. And to achieve a hard brake or acceleration, Automatic needs to calculate about 0.3 Gs from the velocity data. I believe around 8 to 10 mph in one second."
      12-17-2016, 12:05 PM   #24
CommitConfirm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: The Bus

Garage List
It's the USA, sue somebody

But seriously, like the other member who had his car taken for a 'joyride' by the dealer. Once you had them the keys there will always be those who look to take advantage. This is one of the reasons I had a tracker & dashcam installed; I always make a point to telling them and I take a photo of the odometer in front of them.

Simple vote with your feet and don't shop there again. Write them a 'lawyer letter' with your proof and ask the management for a written response. Probably won't get you anywhere but it is a record in case there is any future issues.

Also, your cars not made of glass, everything will be ok. Enjoy & let it go.
Appreciate 3
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 12:16 PM   #25
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 991.2 Porsche GT3, BMW E46 M3

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2018 Porsche 911 GT3  [10.00]
1974 BMW 2002tii  [10.00]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EL BAN View Post
You should always wait on it.
ok, so you're in the dealer lounge and they take car out and do the exact same thing. Duh!
My car went in for the 1200 break in service and went from the parking lot to the garage lift and back to the parking lot as instructed. No test drive, no hand wash.. after reading all the crap that has happened to people here one can never trust too much. The connected app also gives you details of the car movement and position with time.
D CHOI581.00
      12-17-2016, 12:46 PM   #26
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87LUV View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54 View Post
Quote:
I had my winter tires installed yesterday. I usually wait for my car but I had some things to take care of so I left it there and came back a couple hours later. I reset my trip meter when I pulled into the shop so the first thing I noticed was that there was 1.3 miles on it which I thought was odd. My 'automatic' wasn't syncing so I figured I'm just being crazy so I left. A short while later, I get home and app updates and this is what I found:
Not only was it a joyride, it was a joyride with no regard for warmup or respect for you or your car.
Yup. Car was sitting there for an hour+ and it was like 20 degrees yesterday with a real feel of way colder. I went down to the shop after I saw it and spoke to the manager. It was some punk ass kid that took it to make sure the censors weren't tripping. The manager tried to console me and was very apologetic but it doesn't really make me feel any better. He pulled the kid aside to show him he got busted and I didn't see his face again. I also had some customers wait outside for me to leave to ask me what happened so I filled them in. There's no recourse here. It's not like it's reversible. I bought this car and I always take care of it. It's so frustrating.
Leaving the keys to your 50k sports car ( the one that you aren't quite sure you love or not right ? ) immediately disqualifies you from making a statement like " I take care of it "

Sorry that you trusted teenagers at a tire shop.

And of course they shouldn't be taking your car for a joyride ...

I would push for them to fire that kid.

Great app and thanks for the info however I don't need it. Valet my 1M? Are you kidding me ? I wouldn't valet my daughter's e46.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 12:53 PM   #27
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Leaving the keys to your 50k sports car ( the one that you aren't quite sure you love or not right ? ) immediately disqualifies you from making a statement like " I take care of it "

And of course they shouldn't be taking your car for a joyride ... I would push for them to fire that kid.
That's quite a ridiculous comment. So because I'm not in love with my car that means I must have no regard for my property? That's a joke right? More condescending commentary from you as per usual. I've been to the shop many times and never had an issue.

Also, I never gave my keys to any teenager to drive my car. The "teenager" or whatever age he may be, isn't the owner/manager of the shop that I left it with. Thanks.

And ps it's a $60k+ car.
      12-17-2016, 12:55 PM   #28
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I had my winter tires installed yesterday. I usually wait for my car but I had some things to take care of so I left it there and came back a couple hours later. I reset my trip meter when I pulled into the shop so the first thing I noticed was that there was 1.3 miles on it which I thought was odd. My 'automatic' wasn't syncing so I figured I'm just being crazy so I left. A short while later, I get home and app updates and this is what I found:
Not only was it a joyride, it was a joyride with no regard for warmup or respect for you or your car.
Yup. Car was sitting there for an hour+ and it was like 20 degrees yesterday with a real feel of way colder. I went down to the shop after I saw it and spoke to the manager. It was some punk ass kid that took it to make sure the censors weren't tripping. The manager tried to console me and was very apologetic but it doesn't really make me feel any better. He pulled the kid aside to show him he got busted and I didn't see his face again. I also had some customers wait outside for me to leave to ask me what happened so I filled them in. There's no recourse here. It's not like it's reversible. I bought this car and I always take care of it. It's so frustrating.

And of course they shouldn't be taking your car for a joyride ... I would push for them to fire that kid.
That's quite a ridiculous comment. So because I'm not in love with my car that means I must have no regard for my property? That's a joke right? More condescending commentary from you as per usual. I've been to the shop many times and never had an issue.

Also, I never gave my keys to any teenager to drive my car. The "teenager" or whatever age he may be, isn't the owner/manager of the shop that I left it with. Thanks.

And ps it's a $60k+ car.
Not now - it's been for a joyride and has internet fame.

FYI- I just got tires for my X1. They pulled my car out of discount tire and said " those TPMS sensors will reset in a few miles"

They don't need to take it for a Test drive at Tire shop.

Condescending ? I call it TOUGH LOVE.

Both you and that kid need some. That kid should be out of a job with a lesson learned. At least you've still got your car intact ...
Appreciate 1
ryem31042.00
      12-17-2016, 01:24 PM   #29
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
My car went in for the 1200 break in service and went from the parking lot to the garage lift and back to the parking lot as instructed. No test drive, no hand wash.. after reading all the crap that has happened to people here one can never trust too much. The connected app also gives you details of the car movement and position with time.
The 1200 break in doesn't call for a test drive. For my DCT, it was a simple oil change and rear diff fluid change. You simply don't test drive the car for that. As for the service wash, my SA asked me up front if I wanted it done "as a lot of M owners don't want their cars touched." Of course I declined and appreciated the question. They got "5 stars" from me.

I have checked my dash cam videos in the past after service visits and they haven't shown a problem. Did show a tech used the car to make a short trip to the gas station convenience store once, but that's fine as long as they don't abuse it.

Interestingly, my connected app still works fine on my old car's VIN which I sold months ago. scary.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 01:29 PM   #30
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
The 1200 break in doesn't call for a test drive. For my DCT, it was a simple oil change and rear diff fluid change. You simply don't test drive the car for that. As for the service wash, my SA asked me up front if I wanted it done "as a lot of M owners don't want their cars touched." Of course I declined and appreciated the question. They got "5 stars" from me.

I have checked my dash cam videos in the past after service visits and they haven't shown a problem. Did show a tech used the car to make a short trip to the gas station convenience store once, but that's fine as long as they don't abuse it.

Interestingly, my connected app still works fine on my old car's VIN which I sold months ago. scary.
I hear you my friend, and not arguing. And I feel for the OP because I am sure he had pressing matters which did not allow him to wait for it.

Makes me mad that sometimes we trust shops and they go and do stuff like this. Car stays nowhere that I cant have it in eyesight. And any service to be done I take the day off to address being there just to make sure its only me beating on this car.

I bought it to enjoy it.. not to look at it all pretty in my driveway. But if someone is going to be running it hard it will definitely be the guy paying it.
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 01:36 PM   #31
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I hear you my friend, and not arguing. And I feel for the OP because I am sure he had pressing matters which did not allow him to wait for it.

Makes me mad that sometimes we trust shops and they go and do stuff like this. Car stays nowhere that I cant have it in eyesight. And any service to be done I take the day off to address being there just to make sure its only me beating on this car.

I bought it to enjoy it.. not to look at it all pretty in my driveway. But if someone is going to be running it hard it will definitely be the guy paying it.
Exactly. I even went as far as questioning if they felt the need the take advantage of me because I'm a woman and perhaps I wouldn't pay attention to such things but he's messing with the wrong one. The manager just continued to apologize and said he would do anything to make it right but like I said, nothing to fix. The kid is lucky the car is broken in and he didn't cause any damage or kill anyone. I hope he gets fired. Lesson learned, I will wait with my car for its service this week at BMW.
      12-17-2016, 02:56 PM   #32
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

My first comment was joking.

That said, if you install wheels on a car, it should be test driven. Is ANYONE going to drive the car slowly for a test drive? Probably not.

Just like the other guy that had the 60km joyride - a horse of a different color! However, there is nothing you can do about it. Consider the consequences of the complaint. Firing the punk kid? Who cares? That won't make a difference. I'd make them do the switch back to summer tires for free. Now, that's a benefit and they would probably do it. Just complaining and showing them the test route doesn't really do anything for you. I wouldn't hold out for royal treatment if you go back to that shop either.

When you wait for your car at BMW they're going to take it out too. And they're going to mash the gas pedal. And they won't let you join them on the ride. In the big scheme of things, these cars are not a Hurrican, GT3 or Porsche turbo. Had they gone for a 15 mile ride, that's something to be pissed about, but the only way to express your displeasure is with your feet - going to another shop.

Last edited by ryem3; 12-17-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 03:03 PM   #33
BAN_M2C
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
1987 BMW 325is  [10.00]
2004 BMW X3  [6.50]
2004 BMW M3  [10.00]
@F87LUV I apologize for saying "he had pressing matters", I did not realize yo were a lady.
F87LUV3689.00
gds52886.00
      12-17-2016, 03:12 PM   #34
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryem3 View Post
My first comment was joking.

That said, if you install wheels on a car, it should be test driven. Is ANYONE going to drive the car slowly for a test drive? Probably not. I'll have to add, this is a $60k car, BFD. Take your car to a shop that has $200k cars. They have very little interest in joy riding your car. However, they are still going to take the car out and mash the throttle though.

Just like the other guy that had the 60km joyride - a horse of a different color! However, there is nothing you can do about it. Consider the consequences of the complaint. Firing the punk kid? Who cares? That won't make a difference. I'd make them do the switch back to summer tires for free. Now, that's a benefit and they would probably do it. Just complaining and showing them the test route doesn't really do anything for you. I wouldn't hold out for royal treatment if you go back to that shop either.

When you wait for your car at BMW they're going to take it out too. And they're going to mash the gas pedal. And they won't let you join them on the ride. In the big scheme of things, these cars are not a Hurrican, GT3 or Porsche turbo. Had they gone for a 15 mile ride, that's something to be pissed about, but the only way to express your displeasure is with your feet - going to another shop.
Why does BMW need to drive the car for an oil change?

I don't expect the "royal" treatment but at least now they know they can't go around abusing people's property without the owner's knowledge. Businesses rely on the internet for reviews and reputation so it should matter if the business wants to maintain its good standing.

And God forbid, he crashed my car or killed someone. That becomes a big problem for me even if the shop is insured. Yes- luckily nothing happened THIS time. It doesn't mean it can't another time with someone else's car. I don't care what he offers for free. I'm not going there again. Maybe my compliant saves someone else some grief.

I'm just going to have to figure out how to change a tire myself I guess.
      12-17-2016, 03:46 PM   #35
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

I need to look into a tracking device like this. Cool!

If it makes you feel any better, this engine could probably be driven hard and put away wet for thousands of miles without any real problem. 8 hard pulls sucks, but won't hurt anything.

Sounds like you got a chance to vent your disappointment with the manager, which is about all you can do in this situation.

P.S - you haven't recorded any hard pulls yourself (0-60 < 9 seconds)? Come on! Live a little and put down that right foot from time to time!!
Appreciate 2
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #36
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
I need to look into a tracking device like this. Cool!

If it makes you feel any better, this engine could probably be driven hard and put away wet for thousands of miles without any real problem. 8 hard pulls sucks, but won't hurt anything.

Sounds like you got a chance to vent your disappointment with the manager, which is about all you can do in this situation.

P.S - you haven't recorded any hard pulls yourself (0-60 < 9 seconds)? Come on! Live a little and put down that right foot from time to time!!
Haha well.....I wouldn't incriminate myself on a public forum now would I?
      12-17-2016, 04:01 PM   #37
///MIKE M
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

Please post the shop.

Personally, I would be more concerned with if they bent one of the rims or damaged a tire on their 'test drive' with how the roads are around here.

I'm sure this kid really didn't care about the pot holes he was banging over as he was driving. At least it's early in the pot hole season around here
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 04:09 PM   #38
Jackie Chiles
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

As a former service manager I understand your concern, but I would prefer that almost every car gets test driven unless the customer specifically requested otherwise.

Techs make mistakes, parts can be defective. A short test drive helps ensure proper operation.

I'm not concerned about the acceleration stats shown by the app. The car can certainly handle it.

BTW, you probably have no legal recourse if you signed a standard form repair order. Back in the day, most ROs included permission for the tech to drive the vehicle, and they probably still do today.

I have more thoughts, but I don't want to make it seem like I'm criticizing you, because I'm really not.

Don't let this get to you. It's really a very minor annoyance.
2023 M4CX - RIP - WGI Turn 9
2024 M4CX - Week 39
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #39
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I think you have every right to be pissed. A test drive is one thing but looking at those stats its clear this went beyond so anyone calling this minor or routine is being silly. I would submit a letter to the owner, corporate or otherwise sharing your concern. I run an organization and I am sometimes surprised to hear that something was reported to my managers and appropriate action is not taken, sometimes there are trends of poor behavior that are ignored. The best way to ensure that this doesn't happen again is to elevate the issue to someone higher in the pecking order. When the big boss makes it clear something like this is unacceptable then that tends to send a message that is lasting.
Appreciate 2
D CHOI581.00
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 05:18 PM   #40
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

And ps it's a $60k+ car.
Not now - it's been for a joyride and has internet fame.

FYI- I just got tires for my X1. They pulled my car out of discount tire and said " those TPMS sensors will reset in a few miles"

They don't need to take it for a Test drive at Tire shop.

Condescending ? I call it TOUGH LOVE.

Both you and that kid need some. That kid should be out of a job with a lesson learned. At least you've still got your car intact ...
There's tough love and there's condescending comments. I don't need a safe place, I don't need an apology, in this day and age I see a lot of Generation Xers using these as excuses to act like, or what I would call, "assholes".

In your defense, simple text posts are hard to read, your intentions may not come across via forum banter. I'm just explaining the way I read these comments and others made by you. No hard feelings!
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 05:39 PM   #41
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
No. This story is about legitimate expectations and breach of trust. The tyre shop is deemed to know that the customer would have refused if told in advance what they planned to do. They took advantage of the situation of the owner not being around and acted in bad faith.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Chiles View Post
As a former service manager I understand your concern, but I would prefer that almost every car gets test driven unless the customer specifically requested otherwise.
Techs make mistakes, parts can be defective. A short test drive helps ensure proper operation.
I'm not concerned about the acceleration stats shown by the app. The car can certainly handle it.
BTW, you probably have no legal recourse if you signed a standard form repair order. Back in the day, most ROs included permission for the tech to drive the vehicle, and they probably still do today.
I have more thoughts, but I don't want to make it seem like I'm criticizing you, because I'm really not.
Don't let this get to you. It's really a very minor annoyance.
Extreme comparison to point out why your reasoning is flawed IMHO: rapists sometimes plead a similar reasoning ("Come on, we went out, had a few drinks, so in a way, (s)he agreed to what happened later that night."). As I said, it's not merely about expectations - no, it's about legitimate expectations, the difference between appropriate/proper and clearly inappropriate/improper.

See also this thread ("BMW dealership joyride?"):
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1231807
      12-17-2016, 08:57 PM   #42
Smiley1175
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

According to the app it calculated the 'joyride' at $0.39 ... and it's now being compared to a rapist ...
I'm cancelling my Netflix, this shit's just too good.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      12-17-2016, 09:02 PM   #43
Sideshow
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

Call your credit card company and refuse to pay for the service and then call BMW USA.....
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 09:21 PM   #44
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

I mean really, this was a 1 mile service drive. Seriously. I've had issues after wheels were installed. Pretty rare, but possible. I've also had snows put on by my shop many times and they never take the car out. Come up to westchester, I can show you a better tire shop.

No calling bmw USA, this was an independent tire shop. Oh, if you want to call bmw about a dealer, be prepared to be black balled.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
Closed Thread