BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW dealer puts 54 KM. on my M2

12-10-2016, 09:36 AM   #1
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: e46 M3 + G05 X5

BMW dealer puts 54 KM. on my M2

I took my m2 for service this friday to my local BMW dealer, the only 1 in the Dominican Republic. The reason I went in for service is that I wanted my DIFF oil changed since it still had the original break in oil on it. My DIFF (recall) was replaced this summer. My car had 3206 KM when it went in for service. And to my surprise my car had 3260 km on the clock when I picked it up. I was PISSED.

So after complaining to a bunch of people at the dealer. The only explanation the service supervisor could give me was "QUALITY CONTROl" WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Quality control? He drove 54 KM on my car. I wanted to punch him on the face...

I work on saturdays so I did not want to waste more time over there. I left.
What should I do? Not happy. Dont trust their service department.
Anybody think this is normal?
      12-10-2016, 10:35 AM   #2
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Of course it's not needed for diff oil change. In fact no road testing is needed for that service.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep
Drives: Passat R36

No, it's not normal. I had a similar experience when I took my Mk5 GTI in for it's first service (about 2007)..it had an extra 60km on it when I got it back. Not sure what recourse you have in the DR though.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jevi Javi View Post
I took my m2 for service this friday to my local BMW dealer, the only 1 in the Dominican Republic. The reason I went in for service is that I wanted my DIFF oil changed since it still had the original break in oil on it. My DIFF (recall) was replaced this summer. My car had 3206 KM when it went in for service. And to my surprise my car had 3260 km on the clock when I picked it up. I was PISSED.

So after complaining to a bunch of people at the dealer. The only explanation the service supervisor could give me was "QUALITY CONTROl" WTF!!!!!!!!!!!
Quality control? He drove 54 KM on my car. I wanted to punch him on the face...

I work on saturdays so I did not want to waste more time over there. I left.
What should I do? Not happy. Dont trust their service department.
Anybody think this is normal?

Next time do not leave the dealer, wait for 2 hours.

When I take my M2 for service I will specifically say no test drives and take a pic of the ODO!
Appreciate 1
gds52886.00
      12-10-2016, 10:52 AM   #5
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=763491
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2016, 10:56 AM   #6
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Get a dash cam and make sure those fu**heads know about it. At the very least, it acts as a deterrent. At most, it provides evidence.
Appreciate 2
      12-10-2016, 11:06 AM   #7
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stage IV View Post
Get a dash cam and make sure those fu**heads know about it. At the very least, it acts as a deterrent. At most, it provides evidence.
Fantastic advice.

Ever since my experience I take my laptop to the dealership/garage and setup office while they work on the car. I take a photo of the odometer before hand and check on progress regularly. It's a shame such action is needed but what can ya do?
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      12-10-2016, 02:00 PM   #8
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
Of course it's not needed for diff oil change. In fact no road testing is needed for that service.
thats what I thought. I talked to the manager over the phone. He said he was going to investigate if BMW states a test drive is necesary, and how many KM should they drive it. Plus this dealer places GPS on the cars being serviced. So he was going to check if this was a joy ride. Anyways, he said he would fire the guy responsible. Which at the very minimum they should. But thats it. Not happy...
      12-10-2016, 02:02 PM   #9
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Next time do not leave the dealer, wait for 2 hours.

When I take my M2 for service I will specifically say no test drives and take a pic of the ODO!
Yeah, I might just have to do this...
      12-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #10
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenmaster View Post
this thread makes me angry. I feel like my car was raped...
      12-10-2016, 02:06 PM   #11
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Ugh, one can only imagine how they drove the car during those 54 km.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:10 PM   #12
Jevi Javi
Second Lieutenant
Dominican Republic
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashrawr View Post
No, it's not normal. I had a similar experience when I took my Mk5 GTI in for it's first service (about 2007)..it had an extra 60km on it when I got it back. Not sure what recourse you have in the DR though.
I dont know. Just complain to BMW...
      12-10-2016, 02:46 PM   #13
Apex_Slayer
Rep
Drives: M2

This is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Generally, with several exceptions, you can't sue unless your car was actually damaged while under their care. Possible negligence and bailment issues come in. Even if they prove it was necessary to test drive the car afterwards, they obviously cannot rag on the car while testing. Was the car actually harmed? It might be too soon to tell but time is also against you. The longer it takes for harm to manifest itself, the weaker your case because it'll be harder for you to prove they caused the harm and not you, which you'd need to do anyhow. If your car was a DCT, I wouldn't worry much aside from a few possible launches. I'd lose sleep if it was a manual though. Firestone did this to my Evo back in the day. I had to let it go because there was no damage. The only thing I could prove was that he floored the car after the alignment was done based on the boost logs.

Edit, yea, since this was not in the US, disregard everything I just typed.
Appreciate 1
No Boost4021.00
      12-10-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

I would be pissed also. I doubt they did any damage to your car but there is a principle involved, its not their property to use as they choose. I would call BMW customer care and file a complaint with them. The factory tends to have a fair amount of leverage on dealerships so perhaps that will ensure they take this seriously. It sounds like the manager is going to fire the guy if the drive wasn't appropriate so I don't know what else he can do short of offering up something for free as an act of good will. You have the only M2 in the country so I am not surprised that the techs were tempted to take it for a spin. It is amazing how much attention these cars get from car guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #15
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Does the M2 have an "always on" cigarette lighter? Most of the dash cams I've seen work off the cars cigarette lighter, and it would be a pain to remember to disconnect each time before I let the car sit for a while.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 05:55 PM   #16
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex_Slayer View Post
This is not legal advice and should not be construed as such. Generally, with several exceptions, you can't sue unless your car was actually damaged while under their care. Possible negligence and bailment issues come in. Even if they prove it was necessary to test drive the car afterwards, they obviously cannot rag on the car while testing. Was the car actually harmed? It might be too soon to tell but time is also against you. The longer it takes for harm to manifest itself, the weaker your case because it'll be harder for you to prove they caused the harm and not you, which you'd need to do anyhow. If your car was a DCT, I wouldn't worry much aside from a few possible launches. I'd lose sleep if it was a manual though. Firestone did this to my Evo back in the day. I had to let it go because there was no damage. The only thing I could prove was that he floored the car after the alignment was done based on the boost logs.
Edit, yea, since this was not in the US, disregard everything I just typed.
Many decades ago, further to the 'nullum crimen' legality principle, joyriders couldn't be prosecuted for 'theft of a car' under the Belgian criminal law system, when the car was returned in pristine condition. Those folks could only be prosecuted (criminal procedure) for 'theft of fuel'. The law was changed. Same happened for folks who enjoyed a meal in a restaurant and subsequently dashed off without paying: law was changed to close the loophole. And folks who hacked a primitive governmental network in the 80s: prosecuted for 'theft of electricity'. Law was changed too. But apart from criminal action, also civil action could/can be taken.

It's not the mileage as such that would upset me. It's how those folks handled the car during those miles, that would be my major source of concern. Dealer should be asked to commit to awarding additional warranty: "if you are convinced that no harm was done to my car, well then you should not be reluctant to agree to extend the warranty".
      12-10-2016, 06:17 PM   #17
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Taking a pic of the odo shouldn't be an issue, the dealer will record the mileage coming in and the mileage going out. The most aggravation is that there is probably absolutely nothing you can do about it. And if that is the only dealer in the DR, you'll just alienate them and they'll joyride the car for sure next time too. I'll say that you're in the DR, so you have some risk, even leaving it at a BMW dealer.

Keep in mind in these situations what you ultimately hope to accomplish. If it is yelling at someone, getting someone fired there, think twice. This really doesn't get YOU anything and will alienate someone you may need to deal with another time. Would be great to say you get a free service, but these stupid cars have that included! Could they GIVE you something? I kinda doubt it. They are never going to give you MONEY. Perhaps a full tank of gas would be nice. Be thankful nothing happened to the car.

I would recommend just to move on. Awarding additional warranty? How could they do that? They are NOT going to CPO the car for a 60 km joyride. Short of that, they are not going to go into the system and change the purchase date on your car.

We place trust in our dealers and it is total BS to be screwed over by one. Like when I recently had a car shipped to me and it had 120 miles on it more than when it went on the truck. Totally sucked. But basically nothing I could do. You can yell, threaten, try to get money, but in the end they aren't going to give you anything. Keep it in mind when you negotiate. What can you win? What will you lose trying to get something? Very tough.
Appreciate 1
zmo105.50
      12-10-2016, 06:23 PM   #18
ryem3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 MB M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I would call BMW customer care and file a complaint with them.
I can't confirm this, but I've heard that the dealer will get the complaint and they'll know you made it. They could "black ball" you, i.e. try not to service your car. In the US, they basically do this if you don't give the dealer "all fives" on the reviews.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:34 PM   #19
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I hate so say it but I think BMW sees this as a problem to be handled by the local dealer, and will not do anything to help you.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #20
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

I would be really pissed if someone took my car out however;

there is no way driving one of these cars 57km is going to do any damage, unless it was done with the mineral oil in it! If it was done before the service I would kick right off, if it was done after I'd be pissed but it's not going to affect the car in any way whatsoever. It's totally wrong they done this - unless there was a genuine reason- but I wouldn't get hung up on it to much. Ask for a Boro scope of the cylinders to prove no damage,?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 07:36 PM   #21
slashrawr
Private First Class
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
It's not the mileage as such that would upset me. It's how those folks handled the car during those miles, that would be my major source of concern. Dealer should be asked to commit to awarding additional warranty: "if you are convinced that no harm was done to my car, well then you should not be reluctant to agree to extend the warranty".
Exactly! The mileage itself is not the issue, its how it was driven during that time. If they were using launch control and lighting up the rear end at every traffic light that's a problem.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
2M
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey M2

When I picked up my car it had 20 miles on the dash. I didn't make a big deal out of it though because they performed the differential swap in house before delivery. I figured they had to take it on the highway and such to test it out.