BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Consider protecting your rocker panel

12-06-2016, 11:23 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Consider protecting your rocker panel

My car has about 3,200 miles on it and I live in AZ where the environment is pretty hostile to cars paint so I had Xpel put on the entire front of my car including the entire hood. On the rear haunches I had them remove the factory protective stuff and put a much larger piece of Xpel but I am now realizing that perhaps the most vulnerable area of the car is those lower rockers which flare out quite a bit in front of the rear wheels. For those of you who live in hostile areas or are a bit OCD like me and don't want chips you might want to consider having those rockers covered in your preferred protective film.

I will try to post some photos but it looks like rocks have blasted a small area of that rocker just before the rear tire and to a lesser extent behind the front so doing the whole rocker probably makes the most sense. Thought I would share it here rather than the cosmetic area because so many are getting new cars and might not make it over there.
Appreciate 2
zenmaster1576.50
Whatup30.50
      12-06-2016, 11:38 PM   #2
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
My car has about 3,200 miles on it and I live in AZ where the environment is pretty hostile to cars paint so I had Xpel put on the entire front of my car including the entire hood. On the rear haunches I had them remove the factory protective stuff and put a much larger piece of Xpel but I am now realizing that perhaps the most vulnerable area of the car is those lower rockers which flare out quite a bit in front of the rear wheels. For those of you who live in hostile areas or are a bit OCD like me and don't want chips you might want to consider having those rockers covered in your preferred protective film.

I will try to post some photos but it looks like rocks have blasted a small area of that rocker just before the rear tire and to a lesser extent behind the front so doing the whole rocker probably makes the most sense. Thought I would share it here rather than the cosmetic area because so many are getting new cars and might not make it over there.
Exactly what my installer recommended also. It's ridiculous the car comes with such a small patch
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 01:40 AM   #3
Prodigy.
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Am keen to see some pics, thankfully mine doesn't appear to be too badly hit in that area thus far however i had some additional film applied behind the rear wheels as this area was taking a bashing.
Appreciate 1
Whatup30.50
      12-07-2016, 02:36 AM   #4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: always changing

had it done during my bumper protection film went on. it's a no-brainer. still amazes me how BMW would just throw a piece on the fender but leaving the rocker alone...
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 06:44 AM   #5
Whatup
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2045 View Post
had it done during my bumper protection film went on. it's a no-brainer. still amazes me how BMW would just throw a piece on the fender but leaving the rocker alone...
I felt that piece wasn't even big enough for adequate coverage either. My installer also recommended a strip behind the rear wheel so definitely something to consider
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 08:41 AM   #6
Detailers Domain
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 20 M2C / 22 X3MC

Yes for sure do the rockers, the strip on the doors, and increase coverage of the rock guards, and of course at the least the rear bumper behind the rear tires.

These items are a must including your full front.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:00 PM   #7
swilliams
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

So what I'm hearing is...wrap the entire car.
Appreciate 2
nd2002178.50
MMMBRAP975.50
      12-07-2016, 07:10 PM   #8
Aust350z
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Is a "rocker" panel just the side skirt?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 07:19 PM   #9
///M-pressed
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aust350z View Post
Is a "rocker" panel just the side skirt?
Yep!
F82 M4 | 6-speed manual | PP performance Stage 2 tune | Re-valved Bilstein B16s | VRSF midpipe | OEM CS front splitter | OEM GTS hood | OEM M-performance rear diffuser| Evolve tuning catless downpipes | 310rwkw (415rwhp)
Appreciate 1
Aust350z243.00
      12-07-2016, 08:07 PM   #10
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

I'm planning to cover whole vehicle which likely be only 10% of the initial vehicle value. I think $5,000 will be worth of spending me being OCD about paint flaws and the hassle of possibly repainting the car later.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 03:08 PM   #11
mokrunka
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2, 2011 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
I'm planning to cover whole vehicle which likely be only 10% of the initial vehicle value. I think $5,000 will be worth of spending me being OCD about paint flaws and the hassle of possibly repainting the car later.
'Only 10%?' Don't get me wrong, I like clean paint as much as the next guy, but man, that is a lot to spend on a protective film...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #12
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokrunka View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by juyeop View Post
'Only 10%?' Don't get me wrong, I like clean paint as much as the next guy, but man, that is a lot to spend on a protective film...
Depends how long you're going to keep this car. A few years? Probably not worth it. 5-6+ years? Then maybe. Up to the driver whether it's worth protecting the paint or not and the road hazards he/she encounters on a daily basis.

I plan to keep this car for at least a good 6-7 years so keeping the paint looking pristine with xpel is an easy choice.
      12-08-2016, 07:19 PM   #13
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM2 View Post
Depends how long you're going to keep this car. A few years? Probably not worth it. 5-6+ years? Then maybe. Up to the driver whether it's worth protecting the paint or not and the road hazards he/she encounters on a daily basis.

I plan to keep this car for at least a good 6-7 years so keeping the paint looking pristine with xpel is an easy choice.
What this dude said

I only keep cars for a few years so it's not worth it to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #14
Diver21
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:

DCM2, let me know if you have any experience with XPEL dealers in Austin. I'm not sold on having it done yet, but am thinking about it. That said, I'm nervous about getting a marginal application done by some shop. Thx.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
atxsk8r
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver21 View Post
DCM2, let me know if you have any experience with XPEL dealers in Austin. I'm not sold on having it done yet, but am thinking about it. That said, I'm nervous about getting a marginal application done by some shop. Thx.
Hit up confusion , he got his car wrapped in the ATX, he can tell you which shop he used.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #16
Rupes
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 (current), E90 330xi (w

Maybe you can help me understand protective film. My experience has been that it almost always yellows slightly and creates a visible line over time as dirt gets trapped along the edge of the film. It also can't be removed without damaging the paint, right? think I'd rather a few touch ups than what is certainly going to be an eye sore 10+ years from now. Have things changed where these aren't really an issue anymore?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 04:13 AM   #17
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
Maybe you can help me understand protective film. My experience has been that it almost always yellows slightly and creates a visible line over time as dirt gets trapped along the edge of the film. It also can't be removed without damaging the paint, right? think I'd rather a few touch ups than what is certainly going to be an eye sore 10+ years from now. Have things changed where these aren't really an issue anymore?
X-pel is suppose to be good for 10 years and will not damage the paint when removing the film.
      12-09-2016, 04:19 AM   #18
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

Quote:
I'm only doing the front bumper and the hood with X-pel...that is already freaking expensive and more then I ever did on any car. IMO more X-pel is not worth it as you see what the price of the M2 is... But there are a lot of OCD people who wash & wax there car every week and when they see a scratch then want to sell the car. So for them to spend $5.000 for full X-pel coverage is probably the best thing to have a relax life
      12-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #19
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsk8r View Post
Quote:
Hit up confusion , he got his car wrapped in the ATX, he can tell you which shop he used.
I believe he used Xpel Austin and got the full satin wrap and couldn't be happier with their work. I plan to do the same but Ultimate instead of Stealth.
      12-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #20
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupes View Post
The install makes a huge difference on Xpel or any of the protective films. Most get a partial hood done which creates a very clear line that cannot be hidden. I got the entire front of my car done including the entire hood. My guy wraps the edges so unless you know exactly where to look you cannot tell it has anything on the paint at all. If I lived in an environment that was friendlier to cars I probably would not go to this extent but I live in AZ and our cars get beat up terribly from the small rocks that end up on the road after monsoon rains. I didn't have my E90 protected and I ended up regretting it. I am 100% sure that what I have invested in Xpel will pay off down the road when in 8-10 years I peel that stuff off and have perfect (or near perfect) original paint on the front of my car. The cost of doing all of the work on my car is less than what it costs to have the bumper cover repainted from a good shop so for AZ it makes sense.

Xpel is guaranteed for 10 years, against yellowing or any fading, that guarantee includes labor. It's not a lifetime product its a 10 year product. You put it on for 10 years and than redo it if you want or enjoy perfect paint at the end of that 10 years when your car goes from daily driver status to something you cherish for weekend drives.

Within 48 hours of having my car protected by Xpel I had a rock come off a tow truck and go across my hood. Avoiding 2-3 chips on the hood of my brand new car was worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 03:27 PM   #21
juyeop
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 13 STI & 13 E92 M3

Quote:
It is a lot to spend in a financial perspective, but I really really value clean paints with no flaw and that alone to me is worth of spending $5,000. I might go whole different wrap of color (Matte White prob) instead of PPF. Still debating on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 07:05 PM   #22
bim2er
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Quote:

Would anyone in Austin consider going to Xpel directly in San Antonio rather than an installer?
'74 2002tii, Sienna Braun Metallic, Manual, Sold; '84 e28 533i, Burgundrot Metallic, Manual, Sold; '95 e36 M3, Avus Blau Metallic, Manual, Sold; '06 e60 M5, Silver Grau Metallic, SMG, Sold; '09 e82 135i MSport, LeMans Blue, Manual, Sold
Appreciate 0