BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > Not a good day for this

12-07-2016, 06:04 PM   #45
nd2002
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiaming927 View Post
This is really long and TBH I didn't finish that.. I am not arguing whether winter tire is needed or not. All my question is what are you guys putting on your M2 as winter tires for my reference and that's it, not asking should I or should anyone else LOL. But in my opinion, I feel it's okay these few days (~35F and sunny) driving the car with PSS on. I do agree that it's not worth it to risk my brand new car for $2000. But in my case I will just work from home when it gets more serious. if I am in a situation where it has or might have rain or snow on the road at this temperature and I have to drive, I will definitely put winter tires on.
I'm in Seattle. Have snows on the wife's car since we go over the pass in the holiday season. Had A/S on my Audi for winter tires--was perfect for the "winter" we get here.

I think we're fine for the amount of snow we get (none). Ice is a concern but snows aren't going to help there, like someone pointed out above.

As for brands if you do decide to pick some up, I have Blizzaks on my wife's car (Prius ) and they're awesome for actual snow/ice, but pretty squishy otherwise (read most of the time here). Heard nothing but good things about Michelin Alpins or Pirelli Sottozeros as far as "non-snow" performance goes. Can't go wrong with either, and honestly, A/S tires would also do just fine here.

The only experience I have with summers+snow is when I got caught with my pants down in deep snow in a freak Mar snowfall (3? years ago) on I-90W with the Audi on summers (after track event) and although AWD did help me move, was scary for sure and couldn't exceed 10-15mph at most.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 02:58 AM   #46
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezm2 View Post
I thought one of the main benefits was braking distance? Absolute no brainer on Snow / Ice in the event of needing to brake quickly.
https://tyres.theaa.com/seasonal-tyres/winter-tyres/
Exactly this. BUT if it's just dry and around zero on a dry tarmac road braking distances for wintertyres are increasing, keep that in mind. It's always a compromise. And the loud pedal is not an on/off switch. On snow traction and braking distances are 'excellent'. In other circumstances you have to be aware of the issues a wintertyre can have vs the PSS(good summertyre)

Also, invest in yourself(winterdriving course/antiskid school whatever) because anxiety to drive in winterconditions often makes worse drivers because they don't know what to do even with wintertyres.

EDit: And off course: If you're expecting snowy conditions on your journey/trip and or you know you live in a somewhat snowy area with hills etc: wintertyres! Nobrainer!

Cheers
Robin

Last edited by Robin_NL; 12-08-2016 at 03:06 AM..
Appreciate 1
kezm231.00
      12-08-2016, 04:25 AM   #47
amdmaxx
My gift Registry: M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: Future Mowner of Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post
We got 4 inches that day
This could mean anything..
Appreciate 1
flyaway140.50
      12-08-2016, 06:21 AM   #48
Sunny_M240I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240ix Sunset Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Oh for sure, I wouldn't dare drive with MPSS when temp is < 50F, much less with a dusting of snow on the ground.

But having had an 18" dumping of snow last week, I had to take a jab at his snowstorm comment haha.

EDIT: here is a photo from this morning. It's outfitted with the M2 specific winter set with Michelin Pilot Alpin4s.
did the dealer throw the winter tires and rims in the deal for free? if not how much did you pay? ottawa boy here. i LOVE rear wheel drives in the winter. SOOOO much fun. car looks good with those rims. cheers mate.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 07:16 AM   #49
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M2_ View Post
did the dealer throw the winter tires and rims in the deal for free? if not how much did you pay? ottawa boy here. i LOVE rear wheel drives in the winter. SOOOO much fun. car looks good with those rims. cheers mate.
Yes. As for the price of the rims + tires set, I think it's under $3,000 but don't remember it off the top of my head.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2016, 11:35 AM   #50
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

My quote was: € 2400,00
640M incl Pilot Alpin 235 40 18F and 255 35(?) 18R in total.

Partsmanager told me with a smile: You know Robin, those are only allowed up to 240kmh(149mph) max haha.

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 02:34 AM   #51
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Tim Schrick tests the M2 , 18inch wintersetup 640M if I'm not mistaken. Wintertyres not only are nice in snowy conditions, going sideways and keeping it there is easier too

http://www.n-tv.de/mediathek/videos/...e19240006.html

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:09 AM   #52
Sunny_M240I
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 m240ix Sunset Orange

Quote:
Oh for sure, I wouldn't dare drive with MPSS when temp is < 50F, much less with a dusting of snow on the ground.

But having had an 18" dumping of snow last week, I had to take a jab at his snowstorm comment haha.

EDIT: here is a photo from this morning. It's outfitted with the M2 specific winter set with Michelin Pilot Alpin4s.
me again. r u getting your car oil sprayed?
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:20 AM   #53
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M2_ View Post
me again. r u getting your car oil sprayed?
Nope. I had it ceramic coated when I bought it new and I rinse it in my garage every day after work and full wash every couple of days.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 06:56 AM   #54
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Check back in once you have a car totaled by some idiot driving in the winter with summer rubber. Then we can talk.

The other thing no one here wants to address is this: ok you leave in the morning, temp is below 0C, pavement is dry. It snows while you're at work...now what?

But I digress. This thread has me worked up because people don't take this stuff seriously enough until they get hurt, so I'm bowing out of the discussion.
You are WAY WAY over-hyping this. Like a person so brainwashed by fear mongering or something.

Go to an autox on a 45 degree day, even at a national level, you'll see all the guys still running summer tires vs. winters.

While not operating near their potential in the warm, of course, they have plenty of grip to safely drive down the road on a cold day. If you can't manage to drive to work on summer tires when it's 40 degrees out, you have some serious, serious issues. There are literally millions of cars driving around in cold, dry conditions on summers. They're not flying off the road so just stop.

Wouldn't dare drive on PSS under 50 degrees? Holy cow man, be more of a drama queen.

BTW: I run winter tires on all my cars. That doesn't mean that you're not being entirely over dramatic.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)

Last edited by PrematureApex; 12-09-2016 at 07:01 AM..
Appreciate 2
Robin_NL8717.00
Corinne1171.00
      12-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #55
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpics80 View Post
2 M2s and 1 M4 got dropped off in the middle of a snow storm

certainly an opportunity for the dealer...

Finance guy...

that is one beautiful car...this should only take a few minutes...<discusses warranties>...oh, wanted to mention one more thing...we're offering a new service offering to our customers...we have a wonderful BMW winter tire/wheel package that includes removing and storing your summer wheels/tires and mount your winter wheels and vise-versa in the spring...that is one beautiful car...
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #56
Corinne
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: M2 2018 LBB 6MT

I do actually have a lot of experience driving on snow in the mountains and always use winter tyres for that. When I say I'm going to keep my M2 on summer tyres that does not mean I'm going to use it when there's a risk of snow. I use my Lotus Elise SC in winter sometimes when the sun is shining and the roads are completely dry and it's fine. I can't believe that an M2 will any less capable. Of course it's necessary to slow down when on a road which is in the shade when there's a risk of ice but a road basking in Alpine sun with dried salt on it ? Quite safe as far as I'm concerned.
2011 Lotus Elise SC, 2002 BMW 330d, 1990 Caterham Super 7 HPC (sold), 1985 Porsche 911 Carrera SC (sold), 1978 Caterham Super 7 (sold), 1972 Triumph TR6 (sold), 1972 Jensen Healey (sold), 1965 Triumph TR4A (sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 01:48 AM   #57
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
You are WAY WAY over-hyping this. Like a person so brainwashed by fear mongering or something.

Go to an autox on a 45 degree day, even at a national level, you'll see all the guys still running summer tires vs. winters.

While not operating near their potential in the warm, of course, they have plenty of grip to safely drive down the road on a cold day. If you can't manage to drive to work on summer tires when it's 40 degrees out, you have some serious, serious issues. There are literally millions of cars driving around in cold, dry conditions on summers. They're not flying off the road so just stop.

Wouldn't dare drive on PSS under 50 degrees? Holy cow man, be more of a drama queen.

BTW: I run winter tires on all my cars. That doesn't mean that you're not being entirely over dramatic.

50 degrees Fahrenheit is 10 degrees Celsius. That's the average daytime temperature through the year here in the Netherlands ...

At the moment its 44,6 Fahrenheit overhere(7 C). I wanted to take my M2 for a spin, but I'd better stay home I guess...

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 02:25 AM   #58
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Now listen to me...classic IPCRESS file syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
50 degrees Fahrenheit is 10 degrees Celsius. That's the average daytime temperature through the year here in the Netherlands ...

At the moment its 44,6 Fahrenheit overhere(7 C). I wanted to take my M2 for a spin, but I'd better stay home I guess...

Cheers
Robin
I don't take any notice until the snowdrop shows on the dash indicating 4 C and below
Appreciate 0