BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > First impressions - first M car, moving from 135i

11-16-2016, 03:29 PM   #23
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
Lots of heads turning on the road (especially the twenty-something males, but not always).
Crap! Wrong demographic!
That works for some of us M2 owners.
      11-16-2016, 06:15 PM   #24
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Annnnnd the M Division succeeds again!
Congrats on the car!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 09:04 PM   #25
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenose-2er View Post
The suspension is obviously a lot firmer than my 135i. Not rock hard, but noticeably firmer. I would not say the engine is a world better, but definitely more power and smoother delivery. Where it really shines is the cornering, especially under acceleration. I really liked my 135i handling, but this car is so much better at putting the power to the pavement around a corner.

I still haven't opened her up fully (break in), so I won't be able to compare apples to apples for a while. Plus I am still learning the difference in power curves between this and my old N54. But you can do a lot under 5500 rpm, and I can really feel the difference.

Bottom line is I expected it to be an upgrade (in driving experience) in every way to the 135i, and it delivered. Slightly less so in the engine, but it is still an upgrade and the other gains more than make up for that lesser one.

To answer Kern417, no, it does not feel much bigger in the interior. And not much more comfortable than my old car, though a bit. The new tech is obviously an upgrade, but I would not say that the interior is a huge step up in terms of comfort (I do miss the cruise control stalk in my old car). The 40/20/40 fold down rear seat is a nice bonus though.

Looks-wise, it is worlds better to me. I liked the 135i profile, but it was always a bit too cute from the front and rear, and I like aggressive lines. The M2 has a much meaner look.
Once you go through the break-in there is an engine re-map to lift all the break-in safety stuff and then you will feel its full fury.

It was a much bigger difference than I was expecting.
It's the first time I've heard this. I was under the impression that the features of only overboost and launch control will be enabled after the 1200mile/2000km break in. There is no mentioning of throttle character change from any sources that I am aware of.

No offense but is it just the peace of mind letting it rev to 5500+ that makes the difference, or is there a true remapping (I am assuming via dealer's software updates?) that affects its behavior throughout the rpm range?

Can you give more details on the difference you are feeling? Can anyone else confirm that remap?
      11-17-2016, 06:33 AM   #26
reppucci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 04A6 2.7T(DD), 16M2 BSM MT EP

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
1995 M3  [0.00]
2006 Mini Cooper S ...  [0.00]
2004 A6 2.7T  [0.00]
1994 325is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I have also noticed the attention the car gets with younger guys, I am 50 so I feel like that old guy I hated when I was young because he had the car I lusted after but could not afford, I always thought the car was being wasted on an old guy. At cars and coffee my M2 gets more attention then most Ferraris and McLarens, probably because it is rare and because it is more attainable than those other cars. Up In Scottsdale cars and coffee is like an exotic supercar show and to see a 57k car get all of that attention was pretty interesting.
^^This. I am 58 and agree completely. The M2 does attract a lot of attention! I have BSM, biased, but I think the sharpest looking of the 4 colors.

And to the OP, yes I do keep looking at my M2 after parking, usually as far away as possible from anyone else, so i do get a good look! After 6 months I still look at it.
Appreciate 1
F87LUV3689.00
      11-17-2016, 06:35 AM   #27
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Pee View Post
Annnnnd the M Division succeeds again!
Congrats on the car!
Thanks! It sure is nice to look forward to that commute home after a long day, even look forward to the morning commute in. Its that pesky work day in the middle that gets in the way! (but then, it pays for the car, so I guess I can live with it

It gets more fun with each passing day, as I get tuned in to the way the car handles, throttle response and shifting.

It will sure be nice in the spring to not have 'break in period - be nice' lingering in the back of my mind whenever I want to goose it.
Appreciate 1
DCM278.00
      11-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #28
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Technically, yes there is. It's nothing major like a full remap, but they remove certain RPM limiters, enable launch mode, enable turbo overboost and some other minor stuff that I don't remember.

I was there when it was done.
Have no evidence of overboost or launch control (6 spd) but I know for a fact there were no rpm limits before break-in. I buried that tach a few times lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 08:37 AM   #29
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Quote:
Technically, yes there is. It's nothing major like a full remap, but they remove certain RPM limiters, enable launch mode, enable turbo overboost and some other minor stuff that I don't remember.

I was there when it was done.
Have no evidence of overboost or launch control (6 spd) but I know for a fact there were no rpm limits before break-in. I buried that tach a few times lol.
Have you had the 1200 mile maintenance and did they say anything about it?

My tech advisor spun something about voiding the warranty if you go over 5500 rpm even once... I find that hard to believe
      11-17-2016, 10:03 AM   #30
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCM2 View Post

My tech advisor spun something about voiding the warranty if you go over 5500 rpm even once... I find that hard to believe
Very unlikely... as that would require the limitation to be clearly communicated during the purchase. I did not get any communication about break in procedure and limits - I had to research those myself. So I cannot see how they would be able to enforce that without communicating it to all owners.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:32 AM   #31
OG///M
Always +10MPH
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

Quote:

That's crazy talk. Finished break in period in like 3 weeks, hit over 5500rpm 3 times and over 107mph 2 times. These cars are not made of glass.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 10:34 AM   #32
DCM2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis///M View Post
Quote:

That's crazy talk. Finished break in period in like 3 weeks, hit over 5500rpm 3 times and over 107mph 2 times. These cars are not made of glass.
That's what I figured. But being my first BMW / M / nice car in general, I'm overcautious. Thanks for clarifying!
      11-17-2016, 11:50 AM   #33
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
It's the first time I've heard this. I was under the impression that the features of only overboost and launch control will be enabled after the 1200mile/2000km break in. There is no mentioning of throttle character change from any sources that I am aware of.

No offense but is it just the peace of mind letting it rev to 5500+ that makes the difference, or is there a true remapping (I am assuming via dealer's software updates?) that affects its behavior throughout the rpm range?

Can you give more details on the difference you are feeling? Can anyone else confirm that remap?
Ok, so let me clear some things up since my original post seems to have been misunderstood (and I'm partly to blame for how I worded it).

Features that are "enabled" after the break-in: launch control, overboost, MDM (will depend on your transmission)

The engine does not undergo a full remap - what I meant is that, in order to enable some of the above features, minor tweaks are done, which can be felt.

The rpm limiter is not a hard-stop. You can rev it up all you want, but I found power to be lacking in that range compared to after break-in. Keeping it under 5,500 rpm is proper break-in procedure (should note a caveat here: BMW can refuse service and/or void warranty if you abuse the car during break-in. Very rare but it can happen).

With regards to how the car responds, a big part of it is likely due to viscosity of rear diff fluid. There is a big jump between the break-in fluid and regular diff fluid viscosities, which probably make the car feel "snappier".

Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion that I'm mostly responsible for haha
Appreciate 2
      11-17-2016, 05:11 PM   #34
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Features that are "enabled" after the break-in: launch control, overboost, MDM (will depend on your transmission)
Thanks for the clarification. But what's the difference with the MDM after break in? Thought it's already available (mine is a DCT).
      11-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Super happy for you!! It's been a long wait but now my car has it's twin in the city... and I can blame "the other guy" if someone sees an m2 driving around too fast
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 05:19 PM   #36
patrickoccasionallydrives
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. But what's the difference with the MDM after break in? Thought it's already available (mine is a DCT).
i'm pretty sure he's just made another assertion that's incorrect, there is likely no difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 05:51 PM   #37
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Features that are "enabled" after the break-in: launch control, overboost, MDM
I logged boost during my European Delivery and the overboost is available as well as MDM prior to the 1200mi service.

I can't speak to launch control as I have a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:19 PM   #38
jose_sonictuning
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley89 View Post
You won't regret it. I also went back and forth between LBB and MG. Ended up with MG and I am SO HAPPY. [IMG][/IMG]
But honestly, I can't imagine being upset with any color.
Both colors are amazing. I think color's the hardest choice to make! LOL!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #39
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickoccasionallydrives View Post
i'm pretty sure he's just made another assertion that's incorrect, there is likely no difference.
Please enlighten us with your M2 experience then. I'd love to hear other people's experience.
Appreciate 1
swagon13521.00
      11-18-2016, 01:30 PM   #40
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I felt the car to be a little snappier and more willing to let loose the back end.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 07:16 AM   #41
patrickoccasionallydrives
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Please enlighten us with your M2 experience then. I'd love to hear other people's experience.
my m2 doesn't arrive until december, but your claims aren't consistent with normal bmw break-in behavior. launch control and mdm are available during the break-in period as evedent by the many videos showcasing these features with low mileage cars, and another owner in this thread mentioned that they have been logging boost levels and overboost is enabled as well.

it's fine to speculate, but these are machines with real measurable properties and characteristics.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2016, 10:15 AM   #42
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I felt the car to be a little snappier and more willing to let loose the back end.
Maybe it's just you I know I start eying the tach when I get near 5K during break in... perhaps it is more snappy because you are revving freely without any concerns. Just speculating
Appreciate 1
D CHOI581.00
      11-20-2016, 01:47 PM   #43
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickoccasionallydrives View Post
my m2 doesn't arrive until december, but your claims aren't consistent with normal bmw break-in behavior. launch control and mdm are available during the break-in period as evedent by the many videos showcasing these features with low mileage cars, and another owner in this thread mentioned that they have been logging boost levels and overboost is enabled as well.

it's fine to speculate, but these are machines with real measurable properties and characteristics.
Correct, BMW has never done anything like this on any car during break in. All the press cars in mag tests would be pretty slow if that was the case. Combine that with the boost measurement from an above poster, it is probably 100% psychological.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2016, 08:14 AM   #44
mitoda
Private
Rep
Drives: WRX 11' - M2 LBB MT

I agree, the M2 is more a dick magnet rather than a chick magnet. Probably biased as there are in general more car guys than gals overall. I've noticed though that women in their 40's look at the car a lot more than younger gals.
Appreciate 0