BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > June 2016 BMW M2 lease rates - residual and money factor

10-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #265
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
Agreed.

I very much like "last of a kind" cars for long term value. Not every last of a kind car sees massive appreciation, but they do tend to hold up well. This, of course, is predicated on the fact that it was a good car to begin with.

I think this effect is going to come to bear on the E92 M3, for example. It's the last naturally aspirated M3. Even though the F8x out performs the E9x, I think that there are factors that will prop up E9x values to a greater degree that we will see with the F8x cars:

1) Naturally aspirated heritage linking the car back to the original E30 M3. Collectors of the appropriate age for the E92 will have grown up on naturally aspirated race cars, and many bemoan the shift to turbocharging as a fuel economy driven compromise.

2) The proliferation of the S65 engine in motorsport. To understand this factor, we can look at other "legendary" BMW engines, like the S14. The S14 served as the basis for the incredibly successful E30 M3 Group A car, but also shares lineage (through the M10) with the BMW Megatron F1 engine. The S65 serves as the basis for a staggering number of racing engines, ranging from BMW's own P65, to a variety of engines from Judd, KMS, and other sources. Major components from the S65 found their way into racing cars ranging from LM prototypes, to relatively stock GT4 configurations, and everything in between.

But that's an entirely separate digression

If the M2 does turn out to be the last non-hybrid M-car developed, I think it will play a major factor in long term value.

Another aspect that will bolster the M2's long term value is the "sweetheart" and "underdog" factors. The F8x series of M3/M4 are perceived as the penultimate refinement of the performance aspects of the M brand, but regardless of one's individual feelings about the cars, the broader sentiment is that they are somewhat clinical in their execution. The language used to describe the M2 makes much greater usage of terms like "fun" and "engaging". The market perception of the M2 will be that of a car built for drivers. It makes no difference whether the M3/M4 are also drivers cars; value is affected by market perception.
I thought some of those race engines were actually derived from the S62, not the S65. Anyway...

Your analysis doesn’t take into consideration the switch to the S55 engine mid way through the M2’s lifecycle. N55 based models will always be less valuable in the market in a few years, than the S55 based models - similar situation to the 2001 M Coupes and Roadsters.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2017, 02:55 PM   #266
bradleyland
TIM YOYO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
I thought some of those race engines were actually derived from the S62, not the S65. Anyway...
I haven't looked into the S62, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were race derived engines. I am confident that the engines I listed are S65 derived though. There's a great thread about many of them over on M3Post.com.

Quote:
Your analysis doesn’t take into consideration the switch to the S55 engine mid way through the M2’s lifecycle. N55 based models will always be less valuable in the market in a few years, than the S55 based models - similar situation to the 2001 M Coupes and Roadsters.
That's a great point. However, we have to keep in mind that resale value is a percentage of original value, and cars that have a higher original price tag often suffer the worst depreciation (as a percentage). The 2001 M Coupe/Roadster didn't see a massive price bump.

We don't have concrete details on how the S55 will come to the M2. If BMW puts a price premium on the M2 CS, that car might struggle to hold its value in a market where cars like the less expensive base M2 exist.

I'm in "wait and see" mode on that front.
Past: 2010 135i - TiAg Coral Red 6MT ///M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2017, 12:59 PM   #267
oalvarez
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mercedes C63s AMG Coupe

FYI....(and hello to all).....received a lease quote over the weekend that suggested current residual rates of

24mo @ 57%
30mo @ 54%

I did not receive a 36mo quote but i'd assume that it was closer to 50% than not.

Hope this helps some,
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2017, 01:22 AM   #268
champignon
Disrupter
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M;Z3M Cp;135is Vert, 996TT

Quote:

I own a 2000 M Coupe, and think I should point out that there was an ENORMOUS difference in the HP of the S54 M Coupes vs. the S52 version, 315 vs 240. For a car of that size and weight, the difference is huge. When you take the N55 M2, you are already dealing with so much HP that any additional risks being superfluous, other than for use on a track, plus the additional HP is unlikely to amount to that much as a percentage. The switchover in the case of the M Coupe was for additional power and performance, whereas the reputed reason for switching over to the S55 in the M2 is supposedly improved emissions, not the same compelling rationale to the owner of a sports vehicle.

One cannot predict how the market will judge these two versions a decade or two from now. For one thing, the total production of all (Z3) M Coupes sold in the N. American market was around 3000 vehicles, so the S54, which represented only a small fraction of that total (six or seven hundred vehicles, approximately) was a very rare car, indeed.

Neither the N55 nor the S55 based M2 models will approach that level of rarity. Plus, the clownshoe was an ugly and atypical car, which ultimately endeared itself to collectors. The M2 will not have that to draw upon.
Appreciate 1