BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

11-21-2016, 03:35 PM   #133
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackholescion View Post
Does anyone have a drone at 2750-3250 with either flaps open or closed? Outside of that range, everything is great but that 500 RPM range sounds kind of bad....
MPE installed yesterday and I'm surprised I haven't read more about the drone levels at freeway speeds. Right at 3k rpm's, drone is terrible. Why haven't I read about this in all the reviews?
I rarely drive on the highway at sustained speeds so I didn't initially notice the drone but it is present. I do think, however that it might be a result of the ASD kicking in and not necessarily traditional drone. I've had several exhausts with drone and this somehow sounds different and artificial. That being said, it's just as annoying in that range. Luckily it's a very small window that I seldom stay in.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 06:14 PM   #134
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
I rarely drive on the highway at sustained speeds so I didn't initially notice the drone but it is present. I do think, however that it might be a result of the ASD kicking in and not necessarily traditional drone. I've had several exhausts with drone and this somehow sounds different and artificial. That being said, it's just as annoying in that range. Luckily it's a very small window that I seldom stay in.
I'm installing the ASD bypass with my next round of mods, hoping it will help a little. If that doesn't help, I'm going to research some kind of sound deadening between the exhaust/undercarriage or potentially in the trunk. I'll keep everyone updated.
      11-21-2016, 11:11 PM   #135
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I did ASD bypass and it's SOOOO much better.

Now on to the bad news: my MPE keeps closing the valves on its own. It's really pissing me off. It's intermittent too. Sometimes it'll stay open for a whole hour of driving, and sometimes it closes in 30 seconds. It's stupid. What's the point of ~$3000 exhaust if it's no lighter than stock, doesn't add power, and isn't any louder because the stupid valves keep closing on their own? Ugh.

I need to record video of the behavior because of course it didn't act up when I took it in the the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:43 AM   #136
srleadjb
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
I did ASD bypass and it's SOOOO much better.

Now on to the bad news: my MPE keeps closing the valves on its own. It's really pissing me off. It's intermittent too. Sometimes it'll stay open for a whole hour of driving, and sometimes it closes in 30 seconds. It's stupid. What's the point of ~$3000 exhaust if it's no lighter than stock, doesn't add power, and isn't any louder because the stupid valves keep closing on their own? Ugh.

I need to record video of the behavior because of course it didn't act up when I took it in the the dealer.
Check the remote battery?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #137
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srleadjb View Post
Check the remote battery?
Yeah it's fine, and it's still closing. It sucks because it's intermittent.

I need to break out my multimeter/scope and do some probing. Shouldn't be hard to just hard-wire the valves.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 08:58 PM   #138
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
I did ASD bypass and it's SOOOO much better
How is the drone in the 2750-3250 range? Still present just less of it?
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2016, 10:48 PM   #139
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
How is the drone in the 2750-3250 range? Still present just less of it?
yeah, still drones, just much less of it

At ~73 mph it drones a bit, but at ~79mph it gets very quiet (if valves are closed). For some reason, at 79 mph, "sport/sport+" is more quiet than "comfort". It must be something to do with resonant frequencies. (i have the DCT).
Appreciate 1
      11-24-2016, 12:06 AM   #140
itf joegun
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: G29 Z4 M40i; G05 X5 M50i

I drove now 3000 km with the MPE and the drone gets less over the time...it is nearly not present any more. The only thing left is a sligh vibration if you come to the drone range which quickly goes away if rpm rises...

Click signature for current and previous cars.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:18 AM   #141
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Looks like everybody drones at 3K. Is there anyone here with MPE that do not have drone?????
      11-26-2016, 03:29 PM   #142
blackholescion
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG M2

Quote:
yeah, still drones, just much less of it

At ~73 mph it drones a bit, but at ~79mph it gets very quiet (if valves are closed). For some reason, at 79 mph, "sport/sport+" is more quiet than "comfort". It must be something to do with resonant frequencies. (i have the DCT).
One more followup. What about during acceleration? I find under low/medium acceleration (i.e. just driving in traffic from a stop) I get drone that goes away as RPMs rise. Can you confirm if it's less under these conditions too?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 04:35 PM   #143
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
One more followup. What about during acceleration? I find under low/medium acceleration (i.e. just driving in traffic from a stop) I get drone that goes away as RPMs rise. Can you confirm if it's less under these conditions too?
It's a bit less, but a lot of the drone in that range is still from the exhaust. If the valves are closed it's really not that bad, but with them open it's loud. But good loud. (and if your valves are open, it's most likely because you want them open)
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2016, 10:40 PM   #144
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

My last couple cruises involved putting my wife on valve duty because the stupid things kept closing every 30 seconds for no apparent reason. (fresh batteries)

This time, I got smart and opened the valves in my driveway, then unplugged the harness from the valve control unit. They were open the ENTIRE time. I wish I would've done that the last two cruises. It's hard to hear my own engine over the vipers and vettes with their aftermarket exhaust in our group.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2016, 07:17 PM   #145
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
My last couple cruises involved putting my wife on valve duty because the stupid things kept closing every 30 seconds for no apparent reason. (fresh batteries)

This time, I got smart and opened the valves in my driveway, then unplugged the harness from the valve control unit. They were open the ENTIRE time. I wish I would've done that the last two cruises. It's hard to hear my own engine over the vipers and vettes with their aftermarket exhaust in our group.
Have you tried opening the valves then removing batteries from the remote? Could be a faulty remote that is shorting out.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:55 PM   #146
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

I picked up car yesterday and it has the MPE - however being in Canada I was told by the dealer it doesn't come with the bluetooth module to control the track and sport options?? What the heck? Can you other canadian members confirm this? gmzanatta I know has one and not sure on any others.

Also for the rest with the MPE how do you like that little BT controller? is track mode awesome?

For myself I have to say I love the sound and look of the MPE so far. On a little highway part of the drive home I have to say there was barely any drone IMO.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:58 PM   #147
gmzanatta
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: LBB 6MT M2 # 660/713

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
I picked up car yesterday and it has the MPE - however being in Canada I was told by the dealer it doesn't come with the bluetooth module to control the track and sport options?? What the heck? Can you other canadian members confirm this? gmzanatta I know has one and not sure on any others.

Also for the rest with the MPE how do you like that little BT controller? is track mode awesome?

For myself I have to say I love the sound and look of the MPE so far. On a little highway part of the drive home I have to say there was barely any drone IMO.
I actually don't but Benzima does and I'm pretty sure he's got the remote...
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:11 PM   #148
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Yes you're right, sorry I got the two of you confused. I try to keep the Canadian guys nicknames in my head when I need to ask a Canadian specific question
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 10:16 PM   #149
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:

That's totally false. I've got the BT controller with it.

And track mode is awesome! Surprisingly stop and go traffic is amazing with a manual transmission. Best money I ever spent!
      11-30-2016, 10:34 PM   #150
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

That's a bunch of BS, I have MPE, the BT remote was in my glove box brand new in the box.

Track Mode rules !!
      12-01-2016, 02:55 AM   #151
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
Have you tried opening the valves then removing batteries from the remote? Could be a faulty remote that is shorting out.
So what you mean is by taking out the battery when valves are open, you will make the valves permanently open?
      12-01-2016, 04:57 AM   #152
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
So what you mean is by taking out the battery when valves are open, you will make the valves permanently open?
I thought his problem was the valves repeatedly/randomly closing, the cause so far unknown. I just thought that maybe the remote is faulty and randomly transmitting the 'close' signal without a press of the button (ie an internal short).
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #153
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
Quote:

Yes it comes with remote! My dealer was not aware of the remote until I showed them. I guess we are too passionate here !

It should be in glove box.
      12-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #154
jiaming927
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB DCT MPE

I am 100% happy with the MPE. Tunnel has become my favorite part of the highway
Appreciate 1
Corinne1171.00