BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bm3 tune question.

10-24-2019, 11:49 PM   #1
raywhey
Rep
Drives: M2

Bm3 tune question.

Hey everyone.

It's been an amazing year with my 18' DCT LBB and it's time to get serious.
I've recently installed a Fabspeed sport cat and started looking into performance upgrades. Also I have I never had any of my cars tuned but am ready to pop that cherry.

I pretty much settled on BootMod3 but not sure if I should go with the VRSF FMIC/charge pipe or Evolution Racewerks. Which one is better?
And is it safe to flash stage 2 93 oct OTS w/ GTS tune as a daily driver?

No tracking but occasional street race here and there.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 12:13 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywhey View Post
Hey everyone.

I've recently installed a Fabspeed sport cat and started looking into performance upgrades. Also I have I never had any of my cars tuned but am ready to pop that cherry.

I pretty much settled on BootMod3 but not sure if I should go with the VRSF FMIC/charge pipe or Evolution Racewerks. Which one is better?

I like the CTS turbo and BMS option due to the great pricing. If you were to compare ER and VRSF I'd say go with ER since it has two bungs for WMI and the bungs are place far away from the MAF and vacuum plug which allows more time for adequate atomization, the same can be said for the CTS turbo and BMS option, but not the VRSF option.

I have also heard on some facebook groups the VRSF pipe fouling on the steering linkage causing damage to the chargepipe but have yet to hear if this was due to poor install or fitment issues.

For intercooler the VRSF options are cheaper and quite good from what I have heard so I would go that route. But if you want max performance CSF has probably the best intercooler for the F series N55 imo. But the reason why I hate to spend so much money on intercoolers is because they often get destroyed by rocks and road debris, well atleast in my experience anyways.

In regards to the tune, if you have all the mods and octane that are required for the tune you should have no issues. Make sure you take data logs to ensure everything is ok. I'm not familiar with OTS tunes or BM3 tunes so I can't comment on driveability.
      10-25-2019, 08:24 AM   #3
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
For intercooler the VRSF options are cheaper and quite good from what I have heard so I would go that route. But if you want max performance CSF has probably the best intercooler for the F series N55 imo. But the reason why I hate to spend so much money on intercoolers is because they often get destroyed by rocks and road debris, well atleast in my experience anyways.
Be careful which VRSF intercooler you choose. The larger ones require that you either modify or remove the structural bracing in front of the condenser. In fact all intercoolers that have the 3" deep upper step will require that.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 08:52 AM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Be careful which VRSF intercooler you choose. The larger ones require that you either modify or remove the structural bracing in front of the condenser. In fact all intercoolers that have the 3" deep upper step will require that.
+1
      10-25-2019, 10:24 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by raywhey View Post
Hey everyone.

Great start

Both VRSF and Evolution are really good options.

Evolution Racewerks products are hand built in the US. their quality is second to none.

VRSF offer the best value for their mods, all their items come with lifetime warranty against defects or fitment problems at an unbeatable price.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #6
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

I prefer the Wagner Evo 2 Competition intercooler but it's more expensive.

If you're not tracking the Evo 2 Performance might be a better choice.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #7
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Great start

all their items come with lifetime warranty against defects or fitment problems at an unbeatable price.
That wasn't my experience with VRSF. Mine did not fit as advertised and I got a small partial refund only. They advertise that the existing cooling fan will fit in the tabs on the intercooler and they weren't even close. They advertise no modifications needed yet if you don't remove or modify the front cross brace the intercooler is jammed against the brace on one side and condenser on the other which would rub holes in both of them over time.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
That wasn't my experience with VRSF. Mine did not fit as advertised and I got a small partial refund only. They advertise that the existing cooling fan will fit in the tabs on the intercooler and they weren't even close. They advertise no modifications needed yet if you don't remove or modify the front cross brace the intercooler is jammed against the brace on one side and condenser on the other which would rub holes in both of them over time.
That sucks to hear man.

I only heard alot about fitment issues in regards to their charge pipes but I thought their intercooler was ok.

Was yours the street core or race?
      10-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That sucks to hear man.

I only heard alot about fitment issues in regards to their charge pipes but I thought their intercooler was ok.

Was yours the street core or race?

Race. That's what was recommended as I was going with a Dinan turbo, Fabspeed cat, tune etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:03 PM   #10
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1654219
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 01:29 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Yeah the racecore definitely needs modifications to make it fit.
      10-25-2019, 01:59 PM   #12
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah the racecore definitely needs modifications to make it fit.
I could have saved some money if I knew that prior to purchase as I didn't want to have to modify or remove anything. I asked all the right questions but got incorrect answers. I was even told at first by VSRF that the intercooler could be installed without removing the bumper cover. That was incorrect as well.

My advice to anyone that purchases any aftermarket product is to be sure that the manufacturer has an actual phone number to call for technical support. Once you have that, call them and ask for a list of authorized vendors for their products. Purchase from that list only. I'll never buy another part without doing that prior to purchasing ever again.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2019, 05:28 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I could have saved some money if I knew that prior to purchase as I didn't want to have to modify or remove anything. I asked all the right questions but got incorrect answers. I was even told at first by VSRF that the intercooler could be installed without removing the bumper cover. That was incorrect as well.

My advice to anyone that purchases any aftermarket product is to be sure that the manufacturer has an actual phone number to call for technical support. Once you have that, call them and ask for a list of authorized vendors for their products. Purchase from that list only. I'll never buy another part without doing that prior to purchasing ever again.
Yeah that really does suck man.