BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 Charge Pipe ??

10-23-2019, 05:16 PM   #45
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
Which charge pipes have the best fit with wagoner intercoolers?
I have VRSF charge pipe and Wagner Evo 1 Competition FMIC and the install and fit was not a problem. It is a 2 piece charge pipe connected by a rubber tube and 2 clamps, so making it fit is easy as long as you tighten those rubber clamps last during install.
Appreciate 2
JTO245246.50
      04-30-2020, 06:38 PM   #46
greasypeanut
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87

my charge pipe cracked today while getting some food. was full throttle on an onramp and boom, i thought my left front tire had popped. but then didnt notice the wobbles and then noticed the complete lack of power.

ordered a vrsf cp from xph once i got home.

i have a wagner dp and ic, no tune. also 8 or 9 track days. 30k miles
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #47
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Charge Pipe

To OP, why would anyone go through the effort of installing an aftermarket IC, and not upgrade the flimsy cheap plastic Charge Pipe? You have to disconnect the CP from IC to install new IC. Why re-install the weak link?
      05-01-2020, 01:51 AM   #48
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasypeanut View Post
my charge pipe cracked today while getting some food. was full throttle on an onramp and boom, i thought my left front tire had popped. but then didnt notice the wobbles and then noticed the complete lack of power.

ordered a vrsf cp from xph once i got home.

i have a wagner dp and ic, no tune. also 8 or 9 track days. 30k miles

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2020, 07:52 AM   #49
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Garage List
Mine is coming on in about two months. Then I will go BM3 Stage One to start with...

I'm gonna look at my stock CP for cracks because I've been a bit underwhelmed over the acceleration of the OG M2. Even though it a lot faster on paper than my previously tuned 335 E92 the tuned 335 felt faster... Maybe because of the turbo lag and sudden kick but still...

I would have expected more, therefore I'm going with a Forge Motorsport CP and BM3 Stage 1 to start with. Maybe an intercooler in the future, I know it's money well spent, but time will tell..
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2020, 10:56 AM   #50
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedorov View Post
Mine is coming on in about two months. Then I will go BM3 Stage One to start with...

I'm gonna look at my stock CP for cracks because I've been a bit underwhelmed over the acceleration of the OG M2. Even though it a lot faster on paper than my previously tuned 335 E92 the tuned 335 felt faster... Maybe because of the turbo lag and sudden kick but still...

I would have expected more, therefore I'm going with a Forge Motorsport CP and BM3 Stage 1 to start with. Maybe an intercooler in the future, I know it's money well spent, but time will tell..
let us know how it goes

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 09:44 AM   #51
fanshu
Private
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: 2019 MB C43, 2016 BMW M2

For your data as well, my 2016 M2 had a CP break last Dec at 23,000km only. Completely stock no tune and occasionally run to 7,000rpm.

BMW change for me free as i just had the 3-year servicing 2 weeks ago. The power just gone when I was pushing at close to 7,000rpm!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2020, 12:11 PM   #52
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

I don't think the charge pipe breaking is a boost issue as much as it is a "how hard you drive" issue. When I swapped mine out I noticed two things:

1. The flange section that breaks is very thin in material. As in, between the end of the pipe and the slots that secure the clip.

2. The ribbed flex section, likely designed to account for engine movement, isn't very flexible.

I believe as the engine moves during hard shifting, acc/deceleration, etc... its that thin flange area on the pipe that takes most of that force and is the weak spot before the flex part actually flexes. You won't ever see the turbo to IC pipe break because its flexible rubber.
Appreciate 4
asbrr540.50
Fedorov160.50
Poochie9099.00
tranck499.00
      05-17-2020, 07:57 AM   #53
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I don't think the charge pipe breaking is a boost issue as much as it is a "how hard you drive" issue. When I swapped mine out I noticed two things:

1. The flange section that breaks is very thin in material. As in, between the end of the pipe and the slots that secure the clip.

2. The ribbed flex section, likely designed to account for engine movement, isn't very flexible.

I believe as the engine moves during hard shifting, acc/deceleration, etc... its that thin flange area on the pipe that takes most of that force and is the weak spot before the flex part actually flexes. You won't ever see the turbo to IC pipe break because its flexible rubber.
I think your theory is very interesting.
It would be interesting to know if the pipe is more prone to cracking on manual vs DTC because my feeling is that a DCT will be cause less "jerkiness". The manual is widely more popular also by drivers who refer to themselves as "enthusiasts" and more likely to take the car to the track.

But in general this pipe is built too weak and one can only assume that BMW puts this plastic in the car to save weight and money..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:36 PM   #54
Wattens
Private
Rep
Drives: OG M2, 4C, Bentley GT

For the record as this thread started off as a "m2's don't really have this issue", My 2016 M2 charge pipe failed earlier this year, BMW replaced it under warranty and 2 weeks later I finally had the time to install the VRSF charge pipe I got from Mike in November. Now I've got a spare pretty much brand new OEM charge pipe that no one wants lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 07:37 PM   #55
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

one can only assume that BMW puts this plastic in the car to save weight and money..
All charge pipes comes in plastic to prevent heat soaking and allow flexibility, there is not a turbo-charged vehicle on planet earth, that comes stock, with an aluminum charge pipe..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 09:22 PM   #56
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:

one can only assume that BMW puts this plastic in the car to save weight and money..
All charge pipes comes in plastic to prevent heat soaking and allow flexibility, there is not a turbo-charged vehicle on planet earth, that comes stock, with an aluminum charge pipe..
False. Civic type R uses a combination of reinforced rubber hose and cast aluminum. Cast aluminum for the pieces that have sensors mounted.

It's cheaper to use plastic mold when you have high volumes like the N55.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:24 PM   #57
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

False. Civic type R uses a combination of reinforced rubber hose and cast aluminum. Cast aluminum for the pieces that have sensors mounted.

It's cheaper to use plastic mold when you have high volumes like the N55.
Fine, you found the one vehicle that doesn't use plastic, so 99.999999999% of cars does, including the Nissan GTR.

Nissan has been using turbo-chargers since the beginning of time, I believe they know a thing or two about its efficiency.

Honestly, I rather have to change 10 different OEM plastic pipes, that put some heat-soaking, no-name, aluminum piece.

I'm on 32,573 miles and 4 years, with a Dinan stage 1 and my pipe is fine. So, like, whatever..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 10:59 PM   #58
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Fine, you found the one vehicle that doesn't use plastic, so 99.999999999% of cars does, including the Nissan GTR.

Nissan has been using turbo-chargers since the beginning of time, I believe they know a thing or two about its efficiency.

Honestly, I rather have to change 10 different OEM plastic pipes, that put some heat-soaking, no-name, aluminum piece.

I'm on 32,573 miles and 4 years, with a Dinan stage 1 and my pipe is fine. So, like, whatever..
The GTR uses metal charge pipes and silicone or reinforced rubber couplers. The RB series (BNR34 gtr, BNR33 GTR, BNR32 GTR) used metal on the TIC side and metal and silicone on the cold side boost pipes, SR20 used all silicone on the cold side and some metal on the hot side. That's the difference nissan doesn't use thin brittle plastic like bmw.

The amount of heat absorbed through the chargepipe is so small it is negligible. You could just coat a metal charge pipe with reflective tape and it would insulate it better than the thin factory charge pipe. So your comments on efficiency imo are such a small concern it is honestly just a non issue. The pipes are plastic to make it cheap to produce at large quantities with weird shapes, and they are easier to fit into multiple configurations.

I would rather have an aluminum piece made by a reputable company like CTS turbo over the garbage factory piece that could send plastic fragments into the motor when it breaks.

Edit - Also it is pretty impressive your factory charge pipes have lasted that long, especially if your car is tuned. Do you drive it hard? Just curious because my m2's factory chargepipes are still holding up despite my m235i's chargepipes blowing stock.

Last edited by F87source; 05-17-2020 at 11:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #59
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the nismo R34 gtr came with brushed micropolished aluminium chargepipes as an upgraded factory OEM part, so if nissan is the experts in efficiency like you said and is using aluminium charge pipes as an upgrade, then clearly the idea of metal pipes causing heat soak to the extent of it being an issue is non-existent.
      05-17-2020, 11:31 PM   #60
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the nismo R34 gtr came with brushed micropolished aluminium chargepipes as an upgraded factory OEM part, so if nissan is the experts in efficiency like you said and is using aluminium charge pipes as an upgrade, then clearly the idea of metal pipes causing heat soak to the extent of it being an issue is non-existent.
I'm no Nissan expert, I asked a friend I'm next to, who is and he told me it's plastic on his GTR but the pictures online shows that its only partially so..

I'm all for a better part but I have no issue with mines, so I really don't see a reason to put some "CTS" brand part on my car.

Like I said, I rather the stock pipe break, several times over, than put something on my car from some fly-by-night company.

Funny, the CTS brand aluminum pipe is cheaper than the weaker, plastic, OEM piece :

Maybe if a reputable company like Dinan or even BMW M Performance recommend it or offered something better, then I would swap it but since they don't, I'm willing to take a calculated risk and leave it as is.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-17-2020, 11:49 PM   #61
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm no Nissan expert, I asked a friend I'm next to, who is and he told me it's plastic on his GTR but the pictures online shows that its only partially so..

I'm all for a better part but I have no issue with mines, so I really don't see a reason to put some "CTS" brand part on my car.

Like I said, I rather the stock pipe break, several times over, than put something on my car from some fly-by-night company.

Funny, the CTS brand aluminum pipe is cheaper than the weaker, plastic, OEM piece :

Maybe if a reputable company like Dinan or even BMW M Performance recommend it or offered something better, then I would swap it but since they don't, I'm willing to take a calculated risk and leave it as is.
I think on the newer GTR's they switched to the reinforced rubber material like our factory turbo to intercooler pipes are made of, those things are fricken strong! Wish bmw made our chargepipes out of the same material. Also the image makes it look plastic, but I think it is rubber, espeically because you dont clamp plastic tubes to plastic or metal parts like that.

Fair enough, but I would personally change it out for a part that would not fail so you don't risk sucking in plastic. CTS turbo is not a "fly by night" company, they are a very well known company in the VW/AUDI world and are now entering the bmw world. Their pipes have perfect fitment at the welds are clean and do not have "stalactite" fragments on the inside of the pipe. There is little that can go wrong with these pipes, it literally is a metal tube.

Yes, the cts pipe is cheaper than the oem pipe, that is because they didn't charge crazy bmw M taxes or the crazy factory mark up prices that all oems charge. Hence why a bmw oem part sold by bmw is signficantly more expensive than if you go to the company that made the part for bmw. So imo thats a plus that it is cheaper.

Dinan may be a more reputable company but I wouldn't call their products better than every other company. For example imo the dinan intercooler sucks, you have to cut parts of the car (iirc) and it has a double core design that effectively stops alot of air flow to the coolers behind it. The CSF intercooler is much better in this regard. The dinan intake is another example of it requiring cutting, because they decided to reuse an old intake design instead of making a new one, and not fitting as good as other companies. Even the Dinan piggy back is a huge compromise vs. a flash tune. The dinan fuel pump thing for bmws is also a huge compromise, it does nothing to increase flow, it just enhances pick up slightly and they charge alot for it. I don't hate on Dinan (I had their stuff in the past) since they offer a warranty to back up their parts, but they are not the end all be all of bmw aftermarket. I also really like their sway bars and definitely plan to get it again. There are other better parts out there.

Last edited by F87source; 05-18-2020 at 12:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      05-18-2020, 12:03 AM   #62
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:

I think on the newer GTR's they switched to the reinforced rubber material like our factory turbo to intercooler pipes are made of, those things are fricken strong! Wish bmw made our chargepipes out of the same material. Also the image makes it look plastic, but I think it is rubber, espeically because you dont clamp plastic tubes to plastic or metal parts like that.

Fair enough, but I would personally change it out for a part that would not fail so you don't risk sucking in plastic. CTS turbo is not a "fly by night" company, they are a very well known company in the VW/AUDI world and are now entering the bmw world. Their pipes have perfect fitment at the welds are clean and do not have "stalactite" fragments on the inside of the pipe. There is little that can go wrong with these pipes, it literally is a metal tube.

Yes, the cts pipe is cheaper than the oem pipe, that is because they didn't charge crazy bmw M taxes or the crazy factory mark up prices that all oems charge. Hence why a bmw oem part sold by bmw is signficantly more expensive than if you go to the company that made the part for bmw. So imo thats a plus that it is cheaper.

Dinan may be a more reputable company but I wouldn't call their products better than every other company. For example imo the dinan intercooler sucks, you have to cut parts of the car (iirc) and it has a double core design that effectively stops alot of air flow to the coolers behind it. The CSF intercooler is much better in this regard. The dinan intake is another example of it requiring cutting, because they decided to reuse an old intake design instead of making a new one, and not fitting as good as other companies. Even the Dinan piggy back is a huge compromise vs. a flash tune. The dinan fuel pump thing for bmws is also a huge compromise, it does nothing to increase flow, it just enhances pick up slightly and they charge alot for it. I don't hate on Dinan (I had their stuff in the past) since they offer a warranty to back up their parts, but they are not the end all be all of bmw aftermarket. There are other better parts out there.
Thanks for your perspective, its human nature to want to be right but I can't deny your logical argument, on the subject.

I guess we have a stalemate and have to agree to disagree on this one but really, maybe I'm ignorant or vain for this but if an upgrade was something BMW officially recommended or actually changed, on their higher-tier models, I would be more inclined to make that leap.

Although, I would agree, if you're already pushing heavy boost numbers, past stock, then you maybe as well go with an aluminum pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 12:19 AM   #63
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your perspective, its human nature to want to be right but I can't deny your logical argument, on the subject.

I guess we have a stalemate and have to agree to disagree on this one but really, maybe I'm ignorant or vain for this but if an upgrade was something BMW officially recommended or actually changed, on their higher-tier models, I would be more inclined to make that leap.

Although, I would agree, if you're already pushing heavy boost numbers, past stock, then you maybe as well go with an aluminum pipe.
I think I can also explain why bmw may not want to advocate for an upgrade, because they are afraid of a class action law suit and recall.

Here is my logic behind this. With subaru (what I have heard in the community and being part of this community) they knew the EJ257 motor (current sti engine and has been in sti's since the early 2000's, also varients of this motor in the wrx and others) was fatally flawed, in that the car had extremely brittle hypereutetic pistons which were meant to not expand and contract so much resulting in better emissions. That coupled to a really poor tune to meet emissions standards resulted in heavy engine knock. This all added together resulted in EJ257 motors blow ring lands. Since these engines were in so many cars a recall would have costed subaru so much money so they decided to replace these motors no questions asked and with little hassle as they blew, so long as they were within warranty, which was cheaper than recalling all the motors (in a whole lot of cars) as not all cars blew within the warranty period or were as suceptible to blowing (detuned versions like the wrx or forester). This pretty much saved subaru a class action law suit and a massive recall where they would have to fix all these motors in sti's, wrx's, forester etc.

In my opinion I believe bmw is doing the same, by not admiting fault on the charge pipe and just replacing them as they fail within the warranty period, because not all cars are driven hard or tuned, so the amount of replacements would be low and cheaper than having to recall this pipe and fix it on the countless number of bmws with these chargepipes.

Oh and also they acknowledged this issue on the b58 by making the chargepipe a different design without the weak flange area, and made the plastic so tough it is insane.

Last edited by F87source; 05-18-2020 at 01:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 04:30 AM   #64
Fedorov
Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What you said makes it even more difficult for me to wait 1.5 months for my charge pipe install before I try out the BM3 Stage 1..

I also have a 2016..
Are you DCT or manual?
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2020, 09:18 AM   #65
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
What you said makes it even more difficult for me to wait 1.5 months for my charge pipe install before I try out the BM3 Stage 1..

I also have a 2016..
Are you DCT or manual?
I have manual with a stage 1 for years, drive like a maniac and my charge pipe is fine.

Now, to be fair, I heard a few stories here of them breaking but I really don't believe it's due to inherent weakness but the shifting motor rips it off, from the throttle body.

In fact, plastic is still used on all new model BMW motor including the B58 and S58.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov160.50
      05-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #66
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have manual with a stage 1 for years, drive like a maniac and my charge pipe is fine.

Now, to be fair, I heard a few stories here of them breaking but I really don't believe it's due to inherent weakness but the shifting motor rips it off, from the throttle body.

In fact, plastic is still used on all new model BMW motor including the B58 and S58.
The B58 has redesigned flex sections at the top and bottom of the pipe. Also, since both the B58/S58 are air to water, the charge pipe is now only mounted to items on the "engine package" itself (direct from turbo hot side to throttle body).

With air to air, you had the TB flange part connected to the engine package which can move, and the IC side connected to your IC which was fixed to the front of the car. The flex section was supposed to alleviate the engine movement and fixed IC, but it doesn't flex nearly as much as it looks like it should which puts more pressure on the flange as the weakest point.

All we know based on the data we have from these forums is that there is some kind of statistical risk that it will break on the N55. No idea what that probability is since we don't know the number of warranty claims vs total cars sold. It's likely to be a low number though. There's nothing wrong with not upgrading it based on the low risk, but there's also NOTHING wrong with using an aluminum replacement that can properly flex in the middle with the silicone coupler.
Appreciate 1
Fedorov160.50