BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > VRSF 6.5" race intercooler

09-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

VRSF 6.5" race intercooler

Anyone here install one? I don't see any way to get it in there without pulling the front bumper cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 04:18 PM   #2
magha
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 AW 6 spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecaa850 View Post
Anyone here install one? I don't see any way to get it in there without pulling the front bumper cover.
I had it installed and yea there's no way that's happening. is a super tight fit and I didn't bother with putting the brace as it would've required some cutting (atleast that's what I was told)

Fair warning expect a bit of a lag though unless ur running a tune to compliment it

18 M2 6 Spd AW - VRSF DP / CP & Race FMIC, ER TIC & GFB DV+ with BM3 Stage 2
Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 2
      09-20-2019, 07:28 AM   #3
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by magha View Post
I had it installed and yea there's no way that's happening. is a super tight fit and I didn't bother with putting the brace as it would've required some cutting (atleast that's what I was told)

Fair warning expect a bit of a lag though unless ur running a tune to compliment it
That's what I thought. Thanks for confirming.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:54 AM   #4
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So the brace had to be left off correct?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 05:54 PM   #5
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So the brace had to be left off correct?
Yup

Retired 09 135 JB4 G5 ISO w/BEF, N54 Tuning Performance DPs, BMS DCI, ER Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2019, 10:37 PM   #6
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup
I ended up bending mine out and forcing it in as I didn't like the idea of complely leaving it off. Fitment on this POS is horrible. When the top of the cooling fan is in the grooves and the intercooler is bolted in the bottom the tabs on the cooling fan don't reach the brackets on the intercooler. It also makes hard contact with the front cross brace and the condenser so I'm sure I'll have rubbing issues eventually. When I contacted VRSF they first told me it could be installed from the bottom with the bumper cover on which is total BS. It can't be done. The intercooler is really about a half inch too thick at the top to fit properly and give correct clearance with other components also. If I wasn't in a bind for my car I would have sold it and bought something else. I even offered to send this one back at my expense and they could send me a smaller cheaper one but all I heard was crickets. Tomorrow I'll try to rig some sort of support up for the cooling fan at the bottom and start going back together with it. I'm sure it performs well but the design is piss poor in my opinion. I don't care how many they've sold or how they say it fits as I know better.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #7
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

This is the finished product. Cooling fan is in stock location and down as far as it will go. Intercooler is up as high as it can go and butted up to stock mounting tabs. Basically the fan can't go any lower and the intercooler can't go any higher.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 09:37 AM   #8
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Maybe a better picture. I'm having trouble with file size.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
magha
Lieutenant
Rep

yup the fit is extremely snug!! is maximizing use of the space though and providing a bigger surface to cool the air through so....

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2019, 10:36 AM   #10
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
yup the fit is extremely snug!! is maximizing use of the space though and providing a bigger surface to cool the air through so....
I'd rather have it fit properly and still get better than stock performance. Who cares how big it is if it rubs a hole in your condenser? It's so fat that the bottom of the cooling fan is about an inch away from the intercooler core. That's extremely inefficient. If this were a tool, I'd probably find it at Harbor Freight.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 04:03 PM   #11
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd rather have it fit properly and still get better than stock performance. Who cares how big it is if it rubs a hole in your condenser? It's so fat that the bottom of the cooling fan is about an inch away from the intercooler core. That's extremely inefficient. If this were a tool, I'd probably find it at Harbor Freight.
Curious, who did you buy it from? Do you think the 5" model is any better quality, or would you chose another manufacturer?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 08:11 AM   #12
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief1richard View Post
Curious, who did you buy it from? Do you think the 5" model is any better quality, or would you chose another manufacturer?
The CSF intercooler I ended up with appeared of a much higher quality. The VSRF would probably cool better due to it's larger size but I'm not planning on tracking my car and didn't need the extra size. From the appearance of the 5" it looks like it would fit without rubbing anything. The problem I ran into is that the top step was 3" deep and there's less than 3" between the front cross brace and the condenser.

As a personal observation (and YMMV) I'll never again buy from a manufacturer that only has e-mail for customer support.

Last edited by cecaa850; 03-04-2020 at 01:59 PM..
Appreciate 2
      10-23-2019, 09:43 AM   #13
chief1richard
Life is on the Track, the rest is just waiting.
United_States
Rep
Drives: At the point of 7,000 RPM's

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Almost all the ones I've looked at say they fit with no modifications. However, looking at some of the stepped ones, I can't believe they would fit in the same space as the OE.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:13 AM   #14
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Almost all the ones I've looked at say they fit with no modifications. However, looking at some of the stepped ones, I can't believe they would fit in the same space as the OE.
If the top step is narrow enough they will fit where the OE one was. The CSF one I currently have fits fine with no mods but the top step isn't 3" deep either.

Again, the 3" stepped ones will fit and probably cool better than what I have BUT no matter what they tell you , you'll have to modify or remove the front brace. If not, you can cram it in there but the brace will eventually rub a hole in the intercooler and the intercooler will rub a hole in the condenser.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 10:14 AM   #15
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

VSRF swears theirs will fit with no mods yet when you look at the installed pic on their website the vehicle has the brace removed.
Appreciate 1
243Racing1447.50