BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > VTT "GC" turbo upgrade

09-27-2019, 11:05 PM   #1
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a car

VTT "GC" turbo upgrade

So it looks like the Vargas turbo upgrade is finally available for EWG cars, anyone here thinking about going for it?
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 02:17 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Yeah I was very interested in their kit since the pricing was reasonable for a gtx 3076r CHRA and the housing was made so it is able to reuse all of the current parts, which is good if you have a downpipe, turbo to intercooler hot side pipe, GFB diverter valve and turbo inlet.

But I would rather wait on it until some data is published, and a bit of customer feedback is given.

All in all it's either this kit or the speedtech kit which imo is superior since it is utilizing the borgwarner efr series of turbo, but comes in at another $1K higher + the fact you cannot reuse any of the current parts you have.
      09-28-2019, 10:36 AM   #3
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

My feelings exactly. Except if not vtt I like bigboost because less needs to be relocated.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 12:47 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natek View Post
My feelings exactly. Except if not vtt I like bigboost because less needs to be relocated.
The only issue with big boost imo is they use master power turbos.

What do you mean? If you go with an internal waste gate efr turbo then it's bottom mounted just like the big boost kit and the same amount of components need to be swapped out.
      09-28-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

I'm probably mistaken. I was under the impression that BB didn't need to modify the engine mount but to be fair the last time I looked at speed tech they didn't even support the M2 because there was mention of cross member modification. So things have probably changed.

Brand of turbo isn't super important to me. If it works and the vendor is responsive and supportive that's good in my book. Plus there seem to be lots of cars running the BB kits with great success(and pushing them much harder than I would push my car) vs almost no one running the speedtech kit. But this is getting off topic.

The biggest reason why I'm interesting in VTT is because like you mentioned, the stock location of the turbo. California isn't the easiest place to modify a car so it's ideal to only replace the down pipe and flash a tune vs having to uninstall a bunch more stuff to pass emissions.
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably mistaken. I was under the impression that BB didn't need to modify the engine mount but to be fair the last time I looked at speed tech they didn't even support the M2 because there was mention of cross member modification. So things have probably changed.

Brand of turbo isn't super important to me. If it works and the vendor is responsive and supportive that's good in my book. Plus there seem to be lots of cars running the BB kits with great success(and pushing them much harder than I would push my car) vs almost no one running the speedtech kit. But this is getting off topic.

The biggest reason why I'm interesting in VTT is because like you mentioned, the stock location of the turbo. California isn't the easiest place to modify a car so it's ideal to only replace the down pipe and flash a tune vs having to uninstall a bunch more stuff to pass emissions.
I see, I think that might just be the E series because the spot where the turbo mounts is quite tight vs. the F series. But again, I am unsure about this fitment issue because I have never heard about it.

In regards to turbos it makes a huge difference, you have to consider the fact that if a failure were to occur vendors (likely every vendor) would try to sweep it under the carpet by offering warranty in exchange for silence, hence why you don't hear alot about failures in the F series n55 community. Next you have to consider the fact that if you do have a turbo failure it is quite an involved process to climb under the car, pull engine mounts to remove the turbo, and then reinstall a new one. This is alot more likely on a turbo with less reputation than from borgwarner which is a turbo giant, and even makes turbos for oems. Plus how many times will a company be willing to warranty a turbo, and how long will the life expectancy of said turbo be?

I've seen a few people run the speedtech kit, they tend to be the hard core modifcation guys that have also switched to the air to water intercooler setups as well. From what I have heard they have had some great success with the efr turbos. But the main reason why you don't hear about speedtech alot is because the bmw community is cheap, alot of guys don't even care about supporting mods they just want max power for as little money as possible and are not afraid to cheap out on even the most critical parts.

Yeah modding sucks in Cali, especially with the crazy laws they're passing all the time like the exhaust noise law.
M2OG399.00
      09-28-2019, 03:05 PM   #7
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

Flag on the play! I emailed VTT to ask about dyno figures and plots. They said that the kits still aren't available and they have no ETA. I guess being able to select them on their site and place an order isn't an indicator of it actually being available 🤦
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Flag on the play! I emailed VTT to ask about dyno figures and plots. They said that the kits still aren't available and they have no ETA. I guess being able to select them on their site and place an order isn't an indicator of it actually being available 🤦
That's weird, hmm guess they still need alot more testing.
      09-28-2019, 03:15 PM   #9
PLF69
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3

Quote:
Flag on the play! I emailed VTT to ask about dyno figures and plots. They said that the kits still aren't available and they have no ETA. I guess being able to select them on their site and place an order isn't an indicator of it actually being available
Classic VTT behavior, they have a history of selling stuff that is not ready for the market.. When I had my 135i and followed the N54 aftermarket developpement and saw a lot of shitty stuff happening with them..
Daily/Family: 2021 Atlas Cross Sport 3.6
Appreciate 1
963mw331.00
      09-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #10
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

They're trying to hype the product up before sale, but they still have some development to do. I personally like it alot more than a company not being transparent at all because it leaves you with a feeling of anxiety. In this case you know what they're making and you know that if you like it you will wait, if not move on, unlike companies that don't say much and you either end up waiting for something awesome, or you end up wasting your time waiting.

IMO this approach is better.
      09-28-2019, 11:34 PM   #11
M2OG
Lieutenant
Rep

I don't disagree but I've been reaching out to them for months. Mid August it was "30-45 days" now it's "no ETA", it's frustrating. Coupled with their less than stellar reputation it really makes me want to chalk them up as vaporware and go with another vendor who doesn't seem to be dragging their feet.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 12:01 AM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I don't disagree but I've been reaching out to them for months. Mid August it was "30-45 days" now it's "no ETA", it's frustrating. Coupled with their less than stellar reputation it really makes me want to chalk them up as vaporware and go with another vendor who doesn't seem to be dragging their feet.
Yeah I've been waiting since 2018 so over a year now and no results.

Sure they have a pretty iffy reputation but that particularily came from their GC n54 turbos where they used Chinese CHRA's which often failed. Their compressor and turbine blades seemed to be decent quality as they're cnc'ed machined in house out of aluminum, and their cast housings also Chinese sourced for the n54 but modified to their specs seemed to be ok as well. So in the case of the N55 where they're using genuine Garrett CHRA's the turbo should be fine and reliable. The compressor and turbine blades are made by them, and I think the housing was casted over seas (based on other forum discussion) but all these components that are moving tend to be reliable. So overall there shouldnt be too much issue with their GC option for the n55 compared to their option for the n54.

If you really wanted a top notch turbo it would have to be Borg Warner and their EFR series since they put so much engineering and quality materials into their turbos that it makes them (imo) second to none. They legitimately can be called the best turbo available, and that is evidently reflected in their hefty price.

Anyways if you're in a hurry to get a turbo kit and want to push over 600whp speedtech sells a 9,000 series EFR that should be able to flow enough for 1,000whp. Or their 8374 which should be able to hit 700whp.
M2OG399.00
      10-01-2019, 08:13 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Here's someone with an m2 running the speedtech kit:
https://www.instagram.com/p/B27nZ0-g...=171t00t0469ow

Maybe you can contact the shop if you want more details.
      10-02-2019, 08:51 AM   #14
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post

Here's a dyno plot from motiv of a dct m2 with the speedtech 8374 kit: https://www.facebook.com/27006142318...bstory_index=0
      10-02-2019, 09:16 AM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Here's a dyno plot from motiv of a dct m2 with the speedtech 8374 kit: https://www.facebook.com/27006142318...bstory_index=0
      10-04-2019, 02:28 AM   #16
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Was anything else done to that engine? Numbers are nuts.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 10:05 AM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
Was anything else done to that engine? Numbers are nuts.
Probably just supporting mods, unlikely to have a built motor since all of speedtech's development cars are stock motor and still make that level of power or more. Also all of the forum users I have heard from with the speedtech kit are also stock motor.
      10-04-2019, 02:56 PM   #18
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Probably just supporting mods, unlikely to have a built motor since all of speedtech's development cars are stock motor and still make that level of power or more. Also all of the forum users I have heard from with the speedtech kit are also stock motor.
If thats the case then who needs a second turbo lol

That is way more then enough for this car...maybe even too much.

But its great to see the envolope being pushed.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 08:09 PM   #19
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
If thats the case then who needs a second turbo lol

That is way more then enough for this car...maybe even too much.

But its great to see the envolope being pushed.
Twin turbos are there for response as you can have them in sequential or in parallel and make the same amount of power as a single but with better response.

If you're talking about power potential you could probably make more with a 9000 series EFR turbo than you could with twins due to the space limits.