BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE Exhaust rattle on cold start

04-06-2018, 10:31 AM   #45
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
When it went in for it's run in service I asked if they could look into the rattle, they thought they had fixed the problem. They didn't.

I thought it could be a heat shield or something close to the exhaust.

I picked up the car for the second time and I didn't have a chance to speak with the tech guy as the sales guy who sold me the car sorted the Handover as I was chatting with him. He said the tech guy said they took off the exhaust and checked everything around the exhaust and it was solid so BMW UK said the exhaust was faulty. Google MPE M2 rattle and there is a number of owners who had the rattle state it was an internal valve.
Can you link to a video similar to what yours is doing? Here is what mine did. If I take the carbon tips off it does not make a noise. This it the same noice my F82 MPE made also with carbon tips
Hi

It sound the same, but it last a lot longer. There said they have stripped it down and still has the rattle.

I can't do a video at the mo, I'm away
      04-23-2018, 02:50 PM   #46
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

Took the M2 in today to replace the MPE.

They gave me a 440i gran tour, it was nice, I did like the new digital instrument cluster.

What difference and the exhaust note sounds different. The car pops on start up. Very happy .
      04-23-2018, 04:16 PM   #47
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

Quote:
Update

They gave me a 440i gran tour, it was nice, I did like the new digital instrument cluster.

What difference and the exhaust note sounds different. The car pops on start up. Very happy .
Great!! So the new MPE you just received has no rattle at cold start? All the problems are fixed?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2018, 04:26 PM   #48
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM2 View Post
Quote:
Update

Great!! So the new MPE you just received has no rattle at cold start? All the problems are fixed?
It didn't when I collected the car, I will see tomorrow morning. It sounded different, and it never popped ped before on start up
      04-28-2018, 08:24 PM   #49
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Hi all,

I also have the LCI and have had the updated MPE installed two days ago, and can confirm that the rattle on cold start is still there.

Although not as obvious and shorter when I don't start the the car with flaps open in Track mode.

Off topic, and only get the drone in Track mode. In Sport and Sport+ with flaps closed, zero drone.
Appreciate 1
RussM4263.50
      04-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #50
PAC
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Hi all,

I also have the LCI and have had the updated MPE installed two days ago, and can confirm that the rattle on cold start is still there.

Although not as obvious and shorter when I don't start the the car with flaps open in Track mode.

Off topic, and only get the drone in Track mode. In Sport and Sport+ with flaps closed, zero drone.
That's awesome, any clips?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 10:59 PM   #51
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C0YS View Post
That's awesome, any clips?
Hi mate.. Clips of the drone or exhaust rattle?

Either way, not at the moment as there are so many examples of these issues on youtube, and they are all the same..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 07:52 PM   #52
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
Here's mine. Installed last week.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:04 AM   #53
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

Had mine installed last week and have exactly the same as the above.

I'm not convinced it's a faulty exhaust as it only does it for the first 10 - 15 secs on cold start up, at no other time does it make that slight metallic noise.

It just sounds like it's too close to a heat shield or something, but I've not been under the car to see the design or what components are around the exhaust route.

I'm guessing there's been no acknowledgement from BMW or a fix?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2018, 07:07 AM   #54
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny73 View Post
Had mine installed last week and have exactly the same as the above.

I'm not convinced it's a faulty exhaust as it only does it for the first 10 - 15 secs on cold start up, at no other time does it make that slight metallic noise.

It just sounds like it's too close to a heat shield or something, but I've not been under the car to see the design or what components are around the exhaust route.

I'm guessing there's been no acknowledgement from BMW or a fix?
BMW changed mine and it perfect now
      05-30-2018, 03:50 PM   #55
TerryCTR
Rep

I had the latest slide on version fitted at the weekend just past and I get the same vibration on cold start then it goes.

I can live with that and even the droning but what I’m finding is in comfort and valves closed the drone is slightly hurting my ears even after a short journey. In sport/+ with valves open or closed it appears to be fine. Not much use for the long drives I’ve got with work at times so a bit disappointed after I decided on this for ease of purchase over importing and being stung at customs.

For anyone who has had the resonator spliced in, I’m assuming with the latest version of MPE that it won’t be possible to have it positioned in the oem position without cutting into the MPE itself - which is a no go considering the slip on design?

Edit: I also appear to be smelling more fumes - not normal I assume?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 04:17 AM   #56
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCTR View Post
I had the latest slide on version fitted at the weekend just past and I get the same vibration on cold start then it goes.

I can live with that and even the droning but what I’m finding is in comfort and valves closed the drone is slightly hurting my ears even after a short journey. In sport/+ with valves open or closed it appears to be fine. Not much use for the long drives I’ve got with work at times so a bit disappointed after I decided on this for ease of purchase over importing and being stung at customs.

For anyone who has had the resonator spliced in, I’m assuming with the latest version of MPE that it won’t be possible to have it positioned in the oem position without cutting into the MPE itself - which is a no go considering the slip on design?

Edit: I also appear to be smelling more fumes - not normal I assume?
Terry,

as per our PM exchange on BB forum, I'd take it back in and take a master tech out in the car to tell him your not happy.

BP
      05-31-2018, 05:00 AM   #57
renny73
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F87 DCT MG

Quote:

I just think it must be the way each exhaust is fitted.

There might be a slight different bend on a hanger or a small difference somewhere else, like on the tailpipes. There are far too many doing it for it to be a faulty exhaust - that said there's nothing stopping people going to their dealership and trying to get a different one, hoping to get lucky.

We'll see if I can live with mine. The dealership isn't exactly local so I have to weigh everything up. I've noticed a small blip of the throttle when it starts seems to helps sometimes.

Glad you got sorted
Appreciate 1
Wilsm2187.50
      05-31-2018, 10:21 AM   #58
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I guess I feel lucky that I have no problems. My MPE was port installed.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 10:23 AM   #59
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by renny73 View Post
Quote:

I just think it must be the way each exhaust is fitted.

There might be a slight different bend on a hanger or a small difference somewhere else, like on the tailpipes. There are far too many doing it for it to be a faulty exhaust - that said there's nothing stopping people going to their dealership and trying to get a different one, hoping to get lucky.

We'll see if I can live with mine. The dealership isn't exactly local so I have to weigh everything up. I've noticed a small blip of the throttle when it starts seems to helps sometimes.

Glad you got sorted
I agree, the report stated there was a faulty valve. The good news for me was as the exhaust was fitted from new it comes with full 3 years warranty with the car
      05-31-2018, 12:08 PM   #60
TerryCTR
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Terry,

as per our PM exchange on BB forum, I'd take it back in and take a master tech out in the car to tell him your not happy.

BP
BP,

Yeah I have now spoken to the dealer and missed a call after work to arrange did me to go in. I’m hopeful they remove metallic noise which I’m not too fussed about tbh. It’s more the fact of having to cut into the MPE in order to place the resonator back in the same spot but needs must!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2018, 03:50 PM   #61
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryCTR View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Terry,

BP
BP,

Yeah I have now spoken to the dealer and missed a call after work to arrange did me to go in. I’m hopeful they remove metallic noise which I’m not too fussed about tbh. It’s more the fact of having to cut into the MPE in order to place the resonator back in the same spot but needs must!
Terry

Some m2 MPE owners have welded their stock resonators back on trying to mitigate 3k rpm drone...

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1492606

http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ight=resonator
      05-31-2018, 03:58 PM   #62
TerryCTR
Rep

Yeah I’ve seen that mate but they are not fitting in the original spot so it’s still leaving drone. By the looks of it I need to cut into the MPE itself to get the correct spot so I need to decide if I want to do that or just return to oem.

On another note I think they have nicked something and there is some sort of leak near the centre of the car behind the front wheels. Not going well!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:40 PM   #63
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by qnet View Post
I just put this exhaust on and love it. Mine vibrates/rattles on cold start but, like others have mentioned; it doesn't last long.
but whats the solution?

does it go away or always does this???
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2018, 04:45 PM   #64
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

ill have to talk to the dealer

get a new one fitted in
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #65
M2joey
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2, 335is, X5 M50i

The noise you only hear at start-up is the exhaust pipe rubbing against a bracket about the middle of the car. The shaking is the same it's been since 2016, it is a result of the design.

On a side note, I now have approx. 30 track days on my M2. The MPE is a good big louder now than when new. I believe the packing starting to get some wear, sounds awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 02:46 PM   #66
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by isjoey View Post
The noise you only hear at start-up is the exhaust pipe rubbing against a bracket about the middle of the car. The shaking is the same it's been since 2016, it is a result of the design.

On a side note, I now have approx. 30 track days on my M2. The MPE is a good big louder now than when new. I believe the packing starting to get some wear, sounds awesome!
Not true. The video examples posted here are the carbon/Ti tips rattling. Correct/incorrect installation cannot fix this issue. Now if there is rattling from it hitting the support then that is a failed install. There should be 1/2-3/4 inch clearance between the top and bottom of the pipe and the tunnel and brace. Warm up temps causes the exhaust to move rearward due to eat expansion. Not it could be hitting the rear heat shield but it is at its shortest length at cold start
Appreciate 0