BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE Exhaust rattle on cold start

04-04-2018, 02:12 PM   #23
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2018

A video of my exhaust a couple days after picking up the car from new.

04-04-2018, 02:21 PM   #24
qnet
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Jeep Wrangler, 18 M2 LBB

I just put this exhaust on and love it. Mine vibrates/rattles on cold start but, like others have mentioned; it doesn't last long.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #25
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RussM2 View Post
I need the factory warranty
Dinan has a factory matching warranty and other brands like Remus and Armytrix etc. have their own warranties that vary in length anywhere from 1-4 years. Also, installing an aftermarket exhaust does NOT void your cars warranty. The only time warranty claims are denied is if they can prove that an aftermarket part you installed caused the failure you brought the car in for. So if you get an aftermarket exhaust and your radiator starts leaking, you'll be fine.

Quote:

Also I have to hear it in person if the drone is really horrible. Fellow member mentioned you can code it out?
You can code out ASD or get a bypass harness, but that's only part of the issue. The MPE will still drone at 3000rpm regardless.

Quote:

I have to meet up with someone with a m2 here in NJ to hear it for myself before i make the decision.
That's the right idea. You should 100% hear it in person before buying so you know if you'll be happy with it. I'm from Northern NJ if you ever want to hear what a Fabspeed sport cat + Remus catback exhaust sounds like in person.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #26
RussM4
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BmwM3 M2, F80 , E46, 335,G82m4

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Dinan has a factory matching warranty and other brands like Remus and Armytrix etc. have their own warranties that vary in length anywhere from 1-4 years. Also, installing an aftermarket exhaust does NOT void your cars warranty. The only time warranty claims are denied is if they can prove that an aftermarket part you installed caused the failure you brought the car in for. So if you get an aftermarket exhaust and your radiator starts leaking, you'll be fine.

You can code out ASD or get a bypass harness, but that's only part of the issue. The MPE will still drone at 3000rpm regardless.

That's the right idea. You should 100% hear it in person before buying so you know if you'll be happy with it. I'm from Northern NJ if you ever want to hear what a Fabspeed sport cat + Remus catback exhaust sounds like in person.
Thanks Bud,
i have not heard the MPF in person yet, but on video sounds perfect. I have heard if you get the MPF installed at the port they cover everything if any problems. Also the performance package is about $4,550 when you get it install at the port so i will save some money getting at delivery. I am thinking about going to a dealership and test driving one with MPF. I have to see if i can live with the drone lol Thanks you for the offer, i live in north bergen.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 09:51 PM   #27
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I have heard if you get the MPF installed at the port they cover everything if any problems. Also the performance package is about $4,550 when you get it install at the port so i will save some money getting at delivery.
Here's the thing...

The two major issues, (drone and cold start rattle) both (unofficially) require welding to permanently fix.

To deal with the drone, people have rewelded/reinstalled the OEM secondary resonator that is normally cut away from the factory exhaust when the MPE is installed, and for the rattle/shaking at cold start they've welded the MPE to the stock pipe where the clamp connecting the two halves of the exhaust normally goes.

If you go with a port install they will cut off the stock secondary resonator and toss it in the trash, and will simply cut and clamp your exhaust together. That's standard procedure. You have no say in that. When the car rattles later, the dealer will just tighten screws or clamps and this isn't a good or permanent fix. They will loosen over time and rattles and shakes will return. The drone they won't be able to do anything about, you'll just be stuck with it.

This is why it might actually be a better idea to purchase the MPE yourself after you get the car so you can have your installer keep the secondary resonator and have the exhaust welded together from the get go. It might actually save you time and money in the long run. Idk, to me that just seems like the smartest way to go about it if you want the MPE but don't want to deal with the drone or cold start rattle.

Just food for thought.

I live in Montclair btw. Feel free to PM me if you need anything.
Appreciate 2
      04-04-2018, 11:23 PM   #28
usafmike
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 On Order (Aug Delivery)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilsm2 View Post
I told them its a know fault and is on the net, BMW HQ said there is no known fault. I will update tomorrow
No "know fault." BMW knows about it. When the car was at the dealer up on the lift, I made sure all the brackets were tight and it was not sitting on the cross bar. Still rattles. It's only 10-20 seconds and only on cold starts. Doesn't bother me anymore, plus I love the sound.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 01:16 AM   #29
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

I am having the MPE installed next week by the dealer.

Can the dealer / installer, leave the OEM resonator in place and connect up the MPE at the resonator, instead of cutting off.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 03:49 AM   #30
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tip,
After having the vibration & noise on both the M4 and M2 I took the carbon/ti tips off and the vibration is still there but no rattle noise. I think it is the 2 piece tips that are causing the noise. Flash tune gets rid od f the cold start
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 06:40 AM   #31
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Update

Just had a call today from dealer, brand new exhaust ordered Rattle is in side the box . No MPE in the country and I'm busy so it will be a cpl of weeks.
      04-05-2018, 06:44 AM   #32
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Just had a call today from dealer, brand new exhaust ordered Rattle is in side the box . No MPE in the country and I'm busy so it will be a cpl of weeks.
It a bit of a pain going back, I can't complain I think they have looked after me from day one.
      04-05-2018, 07:10 AM   #33
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

To deal with the drone, people have rewelded/reinstalled the OEM secondary resonator that is normally cut away from the factory exhaust when the MPE is installed...
I have a stock exhaust and ASD. The drone was horrible in Sport from ~2300-3000. Put the car in Comfort and it was better.

So is the lack of the resonator the part of the issue or mainly the ASD?

Quote:
When you say box do you mean something is loose in the muffler?

BTW, I didn't hear a rattle in the video. At what time stamp is the noise?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 08:22 AM   #34
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post

I have a stock exhaust and ASD. The drone was horrible in Sport from ~2300-3000. Put the car in Comfort and it was better.

So is the lack of the resonator the part of the issue or mainly the ASD?
The stock exhaust already has a resonator built into it. What you're probably hearing is just the active sound. Code out the ASD or buy a bypass harness and you'll get a dramatic decrease in cabin noise.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/
      04-05-2018, 08:45 AM   #35
omasou
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
The stock exhaust already has a resonator built into it. What you're probably hearing is just the active sound. Code out the ASD or buy a bypass harness and you'll get a dramatic decrease in cabin noise.

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/
Sorry, what I was trying to say/ask. Is that the stock system drones at the same range. So will adding the stock resonator to the MPE setup really help that much?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 09:02 AM   #36
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Sorry, what I was trying to say/ask. Is that the stock system drones at the same range. So will adding the stock resonator to the MPE setup really help that much?
look585

and

monochrom3

can answer that question better than I can since both of them have welded a resonator into their MPE's
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 11:47 AM   #37
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

So, I take it that there is no vibration or metallic noise problem with yours, right? I listened to it now a few times and would think "all good!"?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 11:52 AM   #38
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downunder99 View Post
Quote:

So, I take it that there is no vibration or metallic noise problem with yours, right? I listened to it now a few times and would think "all good!"?
Sorry the video was a cpl days after it is a lot louder now, they believe it's an exhaust issue and bmw UK have approved a replacement. I will add s video when my wife picked up the car, you can here the rattle

04-05-2018, 12:48 PM   #39
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

I have just seen a member on Facebook has a rattle and there dealer is replacing the exhaust.
      04-05-2018, 02:47 PM   #40
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

It looks like one of the valves broke in the exhaust from my research
      04-05-2018, 09:37 PM   #41
monochrom3
Former P-Car Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 (TBD)

Quote:
Quote:
look585

and

monochrom3

can answer that question better than I can since both of them have welded a resonator into their MPE's
Drove 400 miles today and definitely have drone. I don't know how it compares to the MPE without a resonator though.
      04-06-2018, 06:52 AM   #42
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
How did you trouble shoot this on the M2.....they function pretty differently then the others. MPE drones more than stock or MPE with the resonator put back
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2018, 07:38 AM   #43
Wilsm2
Mini Beast
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
Quote:
How did you trouble shoot this on the M2.....they function pretty differently then the others. MPE drones more than stock or MPE with the resonator put back
When it went in for it's run in service I asked if they could look into the rattle, they thought they had fixed the problem. They didn't.

I thought it could be a heat shield or something close to the exhaust.

I picked up the car for the second time and I didn't have a chance to speak with the tech guy as the sales guy who sold me the car sorted the Handover as I was chatting with him. He said the tech guy said they took off the exhaust and checked everything around the exhaust and it was solid so BMW UK said the exhaust was faulty. Google MPE M2 rattle and there is a number of owners who had the rattle state it was an internal valve.
      04-06-2018, 07:50 AM   #44
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
When it went in for it's run in service I asked if they could look into the rattle, they thought they had fixed the problem. They didn't.

I thought it could be a heat shield or something close to the exhaust.

I picked up the car for the second time and I didn't have a chance to speak with the tech guy as the sales guy who sold me the car sorted the Handover as I was chatting with him. He said the tech guy said they took off the exhaust and checked everything around the exhaust and it was solid so BMW UK said the exhaust was faulty. Google MPE M2 rattle and there is a number of owners who had the rattle state it was an internal valve.
Can you link to a video similar to what yours is doing? Here is what mine did. If I take the carbon tips off it does not make a noise. This it the same noice my F82 MPE made also with carbon tips
Appreciate 0