BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > MPE hitting the bumper/diffuser area heat shield when hot

05-13-2018, 05:56 PM   #1
Jsmooth65
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2-MPE-Dinan Stg 4

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
MPE hitting the bumper/diffuser area heat shield when hot

When the car gets hot after getting on it for awhile, the big muffler is getting pushed against the heat shield towards the rear. Makes a hell of a racket, scraping and stuff.

When cold, there is about a 1/2" clearance. This MPE was dealer installed at 0 miles, and this just started happening in the last 500 miles or so, I think. Or thats when I first noticed it. I'm at 3k miles.

Any easy fixes on this before I bring it to the dealership?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 09:37 AM   #2
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmooth65 View Post
When the car gets hot after getting on it for awhile, the big muffler is getting pushed against the heat shield towards the rear. Makes a hell of a racket, scraping and stuff.

When cold, there is about a 1/2" clearance. This MPE was dealer installed at 0 miles, and this just started happening in the last 500 miles or so, I think. Or thats when I first noticed it. I'm at 3k miles.

Any easy fixes on this before I bring it to the dealership?
Mine definitely does not do this and I've tracked the car extensively.

Definitely have the dealer check on this. I have a feeling the slip joint for the MPE isn't pushed in all the way, or the slip clamp itself isn't tightened 100%. If you have the means to get the car high enough in the air, you can do it yourself fairly easily. The back half of the exhaust is basically held on by a single slip joint. I had an issue with my clamp backing off after a track day due to the heat cycling and the exhaust rattling on the cross-member. Long story short the dealer ended up taking a ratchet strap and ratcheting the exhaust over the slip joint before tightening it down. No issues since!
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #3
Jsmooth65
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
I luckily have a Quick Jack, and I raised it up and checked out that clamp. I loosened both bolts, pulled as hard as I could on the back end of the exhaust, towards the front of the car, and retightend the bolts. Issue still there next drive. I think the dealership did not cut off the stock exhaust far enough forward?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a dimple on the pipe telling them where to cut it. If they cut it there and the pipe is all the way in it won't even be close to the shield
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 04:40 PM   #5
Jsmooth65
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
There is a dimple on the pipe telling them where to cut it. If they cut it there and the pipe is all the way in it won't even be close to the shield
OK. Guess I will loosen the shit out of that clamp, get a second person to help me push it together, and then retighten. Hope that works.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2018, 05:58 PM   #6
horsepower_and_hounds
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsmooth65 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by m2ruder View Post
OK. Guess I will loosen the shit out of that clamp, get a second person to help me push it together, and then retighten. Hope that works.
Or you could pull it back and see if there is a dimple and how much pipe is after the dimple if not cut correctly. The VDC us known for hack jobs unfortunately
Appreciate 0