BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > F87 M2/M2C Future Classics?

09-01-2019, 01:50 AM   #45
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Since car ownership and caring about cars continues to decline among those under 25, I would not make a bet any current BMW is going to be worth a thing in 30 years. First Tesla might be worth more .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
DCT compared to any electric will seem slow. The manual offers a different kind of driving experience that electric cannot since there are no manual electrics other then one boutique electric company offering manual electric corvettes. 30yrs from now a basic electric car will seem faster then any gas car, so people will be driving gas cars more for the experience rather then performance.
Mechanical pocket & wrist watches ('timepieces' if it got a rather expensive price-tag): doomed to go extinct because of smartphones and computers showing the exact time.

Oh wait, most of us still wear those things (sometimes also for reasons unrelated to knowing the time).
Quote:
Since car ownership and caring about cars continues to decline among those under 25, I would not make a bet any current BMW is going to be worth a thing in 30 years. First Tesla might be worth more .
Thats not for everyone , i was 23 when i got my M2 , and said that this car will stay here forever , no matter the power of the next cars , no matter the problems if any ! Use this car only on Sundays , i had planned to make up to 5k km per year and not more (its a sunday car) Zero mods on the car , stock as it is , the car never ever stayed in the sun for more than 2 hours in one day, never rained on the car as well. There is still the factory smell as well in the garage because of the garage door which closes and keeps the temperature same. Cost me 102000 euro here in Cyprus , with every ticked box except the heated seats , and with all carbon kit , mpe exhaust , m performance steering wheel , as well the complete set of the M style mirrors which i retrofitted in My BMW dealer.. thats why i also opened this thread , to hear different ideas as well.
      09-01-2019, 03:37 AM   #46
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Mechanical pocket & wrist watches ('timepieces' if it got a rather expensive price-tag): doomed to go extinct because of smartphones and computers showing the exact time.

Oh wait, most of us still wear those things (sometimes also for reasons unrelated to knowing the time).
Yes, but it's because they are basically jewelry, excluding the horology nerds.

I am sure there will be some car nerds that want these. I just don't know that I would bet on them being worth big money or something that people dream longingly about owning.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      09-01-2019, 05:48 AM   #47
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcmac View Post
Original M2, yes. M2 Competition, no.
The M2C will struggle to shake its flatulent-M3-with-gaudy-touches tag thanks to its mario mustache grille, floppy cow udder and chintzy wheels.
However, the now discontinued OG manual in Mineral Grey, well... it will age like a fine Spanish rioja and keep tongues wagging well into our dystopian future that is soulless electric cars.
From a previous 'train of thought':

In the past I also gave the idea to replace my M2 with the M2C some consideration, but decided for a status quo. M2C as next of kin in the bloodline, no second generation M2: different and featuring several improved aspects. Tempting, definitely, but still too close to convince me to abandon the original M2 ship. Hang on to the good things you got. Though the original one isn't made anymore, it ain't blown out of the water by the new one. Lots of DNA of the original one lives on in the new one. Different hearts but the same heartbeat. Different minds but thinking and acting alike.

If I would not have owned an M2 as we speak, then, yes, likely I'd take the plunge for an M2C nowadays or check out what the rumored M2 CS(L) has on offer in the future. A pity though for the detail that the Mineral Grey skin got bleached way too much to a pearlescent-esque white that apparently indecisively mocks 'n hocks both silver (except for the metallic flaking) as well as its whiter shade of pale non-metallic Alpine White affiliate. Despite having seen it up-close, it didn't win me over yet, but, true, the HS sales galore shows that the color got a vast fanbase; de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum. But I digress.

Both the M2 and M2C are great driving fun facilitators. Both are good value for money. Both got accolades and révérences. The latest one got the 'Competition' moniker, maybe also because it got the orginal M2 as its main competitor ? Both pleasing manual transmission and M-DCT aficionados. When referencing the original M2, the N55 + M Performance Exhaust can squeal OPF-free songs that are no longer allowed airplay on new cars in the EU since late Summer. How does it feel to sometimes quench your aural thirst with a fine tasty piece of forbidden fruit, right up for grabs at the touch of a pedal ? Lightning at your feet - rumble echoing around the car - school kid-ish grinning & giggling inside the car...

Generally, as regards cars, latest may sometimes be greatest and wow, but sometimes it's simply astray or a let down (regardless the sales figures). Latest is supposed to (live up to the expectation to) be better (and equipping cars with the latest hi-tech features contributes in achieving this goal), but it ain't always. Sometimes it even lacks the potential to outdo previous.

True that previous is sometimes not as great as latest, but sometimes it is (or becomes) vintage, classic or oldskool over time, a benchmark or point of reference. And all this not only because of nostalgia reasons (let's admit it: most of us still use a physical calculator or a pen that may be many years old, although we can use our latest smartphones). As previous becomes a kind of its own, it can be compared to later or latest, for better or for worse.

Oh well, in the end it all comes down to (very) personal preferences. Each of us has a sweet spot for some aspect(s) of certain personal favorites. And even so, most of our personal choices inevitably evolve over time too, as each of us goes through phases, with circumstances modifying mindsets, manners and means, including (dis)liking certain cars. No-one remains the same person (s)he used to be. Pantha Rhei.

Ikester192124.00
SeanWRT3179.00
      09-01-2019, 05:49 AM   #48
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

In my opinion In 25-30 years cars like the M2 and M2C will definitely have a cult following but I doubt they will be "classics" in the same way the E46 CSL, E30 M3, or E82 1M are.

I think any smaller BMW with a manual and hydraulic steering and less tech are the cars that will be lusted after hence the increase of demand and value in those cars...

I don't think any DCT/Auto cars will be valued highly. The E46 CSL is the exception with its SMG since there was no other option offered. Since the SMG was essentially a manual gearbox underneath (with automation) they are fairly easy to convert into a proper manual.

The biggest problem with the M2 ever reaching a higher status of collectability is they made WAY too many of them...I see them everywhere where I live.
      09-01-2019, 06:00 AM   #49
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueF87M2 View Post
you can keep a BMW M2 and in 20 yrs you can just have 500miles - and that yes , thats a collectible , its the first gen M2 with low milage .
About the worry that racking up lots of miles on a car may plummet the value: likely the monetary value does. But what about the emotional value for you of all those thrills and great memories when spending some smokin' hot seat time behind the wheel, that feeling of being alive 'n kicking; memories that you can cherish and treasure forever.

Some people own a high performance car. Some people own and enjoy a high performance car. Automotive pleasure & patina hedonism or automotive chastity & (obsessive) preservation merely for resale purposes: it's all about personal choice & priorities; what purpose did you buy the car for in the first place ?
F87EVO4033.00
Sedan_Clan25094.00
      09-01-2019, 07:14 AM   #50
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
you can keep a BMW M2 and in 20 yrs you can just have 500miles - and that yes , thats a collectible , its the first gen M2 with low milage .
About the worry that racking up lots of miles on a car may plummet the value: likely the monetary value does. But what about the emotional value for you of all those thrills and great memories when spending some smokin' hot seat time behind the wheel, that feeling of being alive 'n kicking; memories that you can cherish and treasure forever.

Some people own a high performance car. Some people own and enjoy a high performance car. Automotive pleasure & patina hedonism or automotive chastity & (obsessive) preservation merely for resale purposes: it's all about personal choice & priorities; what purpose did you buy the car for in the first place ?
Yes yes yes.

Emotional value >>>> monetary value
      09-01-2019, 07:37 AM   #51
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Ofc not bought it in order to gain money or have a higher resale value ! I just use it on the weekends and every single weekend o drive it i really feel it a lot , those emotions you said before , those feelings that this car makes you feel is something special , i enjoy every single time a drive it and have some adventures with it ! I know its not just right not to drive it in the rain etc , i just prefer on the dry roads mostly . Im really glad that i enjoy the car , not planning to be 60yo and just have the m2 with low mileage and no memories ! Instead , i prefer exactly the opposite and this is what im going to do 23yo , really connected to this car , its my first bmw , also connected a lot with this brand , not finding my self watching other brands at the moment !
      09-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #52
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
I don't think so because I think the next gen m2 will do everything this generation m2 does with the exception of non digital gauges and DCT option. The g series m2 will still be rwd and 6 speed MT option, so what would make the F generation so special? Why is it unique in some way? Unless the G series car drives horribly.
Exactly!

For a vehicle to be a classic, it must possess something unique to the segment. The M2 is basically a parts-bin vehicle.

The next gen M2 will overshadow F-series in every way because BMW treat its development and gestation like the M4, by better preparing it for its projected demand. Maybe even throw in some Individual options.

I was so happy when I heard they were putting the M4 motor in the M2 with the Competition but after I was done playing with all the tech in the new G series, I've decided I'm going to hold out for the next get M2.
Parts bin! Many car manufacturers use some of the same parts across a range of their vehicles so I don't think that has anything to do with a car being a classic or unique, the 1M is an example of this.

There is always going to be new tech and upgrades in 'the next' model so if you wait for that you will be waiting forever. I say just buy what you like now and enjoy it for what it is. To me the M2 is just a fantastic car and yes there is a M2 comp which is arguably 'better' and a M2 CS around the corner which will be even 'better'. But I enjoy my OG M2 for what it is and I am grateful for being able to own an M car even if it's not the latest and greatest!
Not disputing that the M2 is not a great car, it the one of the best modern BMWs money can buy.

However, I sincerely doubt in 10 - 20 years it would be considered a "classic." It's a mass-produced M car, which really didn't break new ground expect for its bite-size.

I swore up and down that my favorite M car the V8 NA E92 M3 would have a long, fruitful legacy but now you purchase one for 20k and make it your hoopty. So there's that..

Not a dig at any model, merely calling it like I see it, based on history.
I think people are going to look back at the e9X m3 as great car. I don't think they will depreciate much more as people try to grab onto some NA V8 cars before everything is electric. The e90 m3 is especially unique in that even today you can't buy something similar. You can buy a mustang with a v8, but it doesn't come with 4 doors or scream quite like s65. They also made less e90 m3s than the e92 coup, and made zcp for only one year on the e90.

I've been on the search for the right e90.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      09-01-2019, 09:28 PM   #53
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
I think people are going to look back at the e9X m3 as great car. I don't think they will depreciate much more as people try to grab onto some NA V8 cars before everything is electric. The e90 m3 is especially unique in that even today you can't buy something similar. You can buy a mustang with a v8, but it doesn't come with 4 doors or scream quite like s65. They also made less e90 m3s than the e92 coup, and made zcp for only one year on the e90.

They might be collectible for that reason, but as a daily proposition, I think the E9x looks better on paper than in reality. I was so close to buying one several times, but the rod bearings, idle control valve, throttle actuators, etc. put me off along with the abysmal fuel economy and not-so-hot 6MT.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 09:38 PM   #54
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

They might be collectible for that reason, but as a daily proposition, I think the E9x looks better on paper than in reality. I was so close to buying one several times, but the rod bearings, idle control valve, throttle actuators, etc. put me off along with the abysmal fuel economy and not-so-hot 6MT.
They were all that but they looked and sounded so bitchin'..

One of my Bucket List misses is I never gotten an opportunity to do the "Lady Test" in one

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:04 PM   #55
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:

There are after market bearings that seem to have a zero or low chance to spin. Throttle actuator gears that are not plastic and hold up better. Extra cost for the preventive maintenance but it should solve those problems for the life of the car.

Gas milage still sucks, but it's bad in the m2 as well.

6 speed mt I don't know, is it worse than the m2?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 10:26 PM   #56
10"
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Reliability does not make a car desirable or "collectible". The driving experience does.
TemjinX2520.50
      09-02-2019, 01:29 AM   #57
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Naw, I don't think it will.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 09:34 AM   #58
booya_45
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

I tend to think it will. The overall driving experience, it’s a successful first generation car, motor sounds great, respectable performance, and good looks. I think it will age well. It will take some time (decades). Probably to the likes of the current e30 market (not to the extent of a e30 m3).

That’s only my opinion. Very happy with my car. Fun to drive and very capable car.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      09-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #59
TMR013
Opus Angelus
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2

This is an interesting question that I have wondered about. But I think the question really is, will there be classic/collectible cars in 20 years. Electric is coming faster than we all probably think And it makes me wonder what the infrastructure will look like in 20 years. Will we be able to get gas (or afford it) to run our petrol cars. And self driving is probably not far behind that. If you have a fleet of on demand vehicles, why have a personal car. And as others have pointed out, kids nowadays are not into cars much. They don't need them for the freedom like we did, they all have Uber and Lyft. And you can't work on new cars today. I think that has a lot to do with fading interest. Working on a car in your garage, even if you hated it, gave you a sense of satisfaction and bonding. That's gone now.

When all of us gearheads age out, I really wonder if the classic car hobby will completely fall apart. As I watch car auctions today, and see people paying STUPID money for cars (all old guys by the way), makes me wonder if they will be left holding the bag on a non drive-able, museum piece that nobody wants in the end.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
      09-02-2019, 12:03 PM   #60
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR013 View Post
This is an interesting question that I have wondered about. But I think the question really is, will there be classic/collectible cars in 20 years. Electric is coming faster than we all probably think And it makes me wonder what the infrastructure will look like in 20 years. Will we be able to get gas (or afford it) to run our petrol cars. And self driving is probably not far behind that. If you have a fleet of on demand vehicles, why have a personal car. And as others have pointed out, kids nowadays are not into cars much. They don't need them for the freedom like we did, they all have Uber and Lyft. And you can't work on new cars today. I think that has a lot to do with fading interest. Working on a car in your garage, even if you hated it, gave you a sense of satisfaction and bonding. That's gone now.

When all of us gearheads age out, I really wonder if the classic car hobby will completely fall apart. As I watch car auctions today, and see people paying STUPID money for cars (all old guys by the way), makes me wonder if they will be left holding the bag on a non drive-able, museum piece that nobody wants in the end.
Yeah those all you have mentioned above are important , and i think since electric is coming fast , we re gonna see faster appreciation on most high performance petrol cars , since factories will stop the production of those. For me its a matter of time.i think petrol cars that we are using today they will live until 2050 at least . So 30 years from now , we for sure we will be the last generation to live those thrills and enjoy those cars ! :
      09-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #61
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I don't think so because I think the next gen m2 will do everything this generation m2 does with the exception of non digital gauges and DCT option. The g series m2 will still be rwd and 6 speed MT option, so what would make the F generation so special? Why is it unique in some way? Unless the G series car drives horribly.
Exactly!

For a vehicle to be a classic, it must possess something unique to the segment. The M2 is basically a parts-bin vehicle.

The next gen M2 will overshadow F-series in every way because BMW treat its development and gestation like the M4, by better preparing it for its projected demand. Maybe even throw in some Individual options.

I was so happy when I heard they were putting the M4 motor in the M2 with the Competition but after I was done playing with all the tech in the new G series, I've decided I'm going to hold out for the next get M2.
Parts bin! Many car manufacturers use some of the same parts across a range of their vehicles so I don't think that has anything to do with a car being a classic or unique, the 1M is an example of this.

There is always going to be new tech and upgrades in 'the next' model so if you wait for that you will be waiting forever. I say just buy what you like now and enjoy it for what it is. To me the M2 is just a fantastic car and yes there is a M2 comp which is arguably 'better' and a M2 CS around the corner which will be even 'better'. But I enjoy my OG M2 for what it is and I am grateful for being able to own an M car even if it's not the latest and greatest!
Not disputing that the M2 is not a great car, it the one of the best modern BMWs money can buy.

However, I sincerely doubt in 10 - 20 years it would be considered a "classic." It's a mass-produced M car, which really didn't break new ground expect for its bite-size.

I swore up and down that my favorite M car the V8 NA E92 M3 would have a long, fruitful legacy but now you purchase one for 20k and make it your hoopty. So there's that..

Not a dig at any model, merely calling it like I see it, based on history.

They've been saying that ever since the dawn of the F8X. It hasn't happened!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 03:57 PM   #62
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

Quote:
I know its a joke buddy , the only thing that matters to me as i have the f87 og m2 is the engine , from a point , its special since they have reworked and make it last for hard driving , as well the sound is nice , but my thought really are on the CS , which ofc i find it as a marketing car , since there are few changes to the comp , ofc if you compare it with the og , there is a whole new engine , so rather taking the comp for the engine , why not waiting for the cs which yes its limited production model. The thing is , ill get a big punch if they release in 2021 an M2CSL ... as you know , the CSL is the one to have in terms of performance and exclusivity . But on the other hand all those models , have the code F87 which is that why the M2 is great. Never track the car , just street fun . But i dont think the OG will be the shit car because of the engiNe , 1m had a tuned n54 as well , and the engine wasnt the problem. Logic says to me that , the og cant be a sh*t car since is the first ever M2, so many reviewers lost their minds with that , jeremy clarkson etc. im really thinking the CS tho , but i dont want a mini m4 ... the og for me has more character instead for the same bulge , engine , and styling etc... really im a fan of the engine, but yes , the CS isnt that special as the CSL ... that was made me thinking . As well , the OG production was just for 2 years and 14k were produced , the E30 M3 had around 20k . And the current M4 has more than 85k produced . Yes the M2 continues with the comp but that is not the same , engine , grills , front end , interior etc. but in the end , after many years , what will be remembered is not the comp or cs , it will be the damn F87 chassis.
currently the OG m2 is the lightest as well until we know what the weight on the cs version will be. Some people even argue the og m2 is more balanced versus the s55 version. i know some reviewers are getting worst track times with the m2 competition versus the og m2 because they said the s55 engine overwhelms with rear with all the torque and causes alot of oversteer.

i'm stock and i can overwhelm the rear tires in top of 1st and bottom of 2nd gear.
Appreciate 2
F87EVO4033.00
      09-05-2019, 04:06 PM   #63
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

Quote:

exactly...i just bought a auto wind mechanical seiko watch...i paid the extra money for the made in japan version since i wanted to keep it for a long time.

one day i want to stepup to a rolex but i'm not in the point of my life where i think blowing 8-10k on a watch is ok.

i like the idea that the watch is powered by mechanical movement and doesn't need a battery to work.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 04:18 PM   #64
TemjinX2
Major
Rep

funny story...when i was driving back from lunch...i saw a kid in his early 20s in a beat altima sneaking a pic of my car with his phone at the stop light.

i remember i did the same thing when i had my crap civic in college of my friends brand new leguna seca blue e46 m3. made me feel old lol.
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      09-06-2019, 02:23 AM   #65
HawaiiShrimp
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2 (MT)

To me, my car will be a future classic. At least to me. I aim to keep it for a very long time. Same as BlueF87M2

Even if I buy other cars, I will still keep the M2. It's one of the only post 2000's BMW I am interested.
F87EVO4033.00
      09-06-2019, 08:36 AM   #66
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawaiiShrimp View Post
To me, my car will be a future classic. At least to me. I aim to keep it for a very long time. Same as BlueF87M2

Even if I buy other cars, I will still keep the M2. It's one of the only post 2000's BMW I am interested.
Exactly same feelings , its all about mixed feelings , emotional feelings too . Its a combined experience , its that unique feeling , the sound , the dynamics , the amazing look of the M2 where if you compare it with other cars , its unique , those curves etc , its not an ordinary car .. sure that will be a legend in a few years .