BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > BMW dealers lost it?

08-23-2019, 11:59 PM   #1
bmwdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X5

BMW dealers lost it?

Has anyone else noticed that the quality at BMW dealerships has kinda gone downhill?

I went to a Porsche dealer to look at the Cayman. The guy there knew everything about the car and its history. Plus there was that vibe that I would have to prove myself before they allowed me to touch one of the cars.

The Tesla store looks like an Apple store where all the young sales people can explain every option and have all the information at their finger tips.

Then I went to BMW to test drive an M2. I'm not even sure the salesperson had seen one before. She was super impressed that I could drive a stick. The only thing she could tell me about the M2 was "I think this is a fast one." What? I'm test driving one of the best sports cars on the market and that's the best you can come up with?

After my test drive of about 5 minutes, driving in a straight line on an expressway, she came up with ludicrous lease terms and asked me if I'm ready to buy. The whole thing felt like I was at Joe's used car shop where I can get "great cars for a fair price."

What happened to BMW? This isn't the only dealership that I've noticed go downhill.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 12:36 AM   #2
NotMe
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335 & 2002 E46M3

she is on point with 99% of BMW buyers
Appreciate 4
akkando5863.00
Franzino860.00
10"4974.50
ASAP10157.50
      08-24-2019, 01:11 AM   #3
jayely1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

My dealer has gone WAY downhill. The service reps look like those at Ford or Chevy.. Rough looking and not very knowledgable. I figured it was just the area I live in has gone down.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 02:35 AM   #4
junx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

My sales person didn't know anything about the M2 at all. I don't even think she really knew what it was besides the model name.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 03:56 AM   #5
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Fortunately I still buy from a guy who knows his stuff. I'm sure the quality of the salesperson has changed with the customer base.
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2019, 05:12 AM   #6
Bimmed Out
There Is No Substitute
Rep
Drives: Several 911's

OP, you are off to the inductive fallacy races. There are very knowledgeable Bimmer dealerships. And there are clueless Porsche ones. (I’ll leave Tesla alone since I have zero interest in the brand.) One swallow does not a summer make.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23688.50
      08-24-2019, 06:19 AM   #7
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
OP, you are off to the inductive fallacy races. There are very knowledgeable Bimmer dealerships. And there are clueless Porsche ones. (I’ll leave Tesla alone since I have zero interest in the brand.) One swallow does not a summer make.
I haven’t been to many Porsche dealers but the six or so I have routinely spoken with definitely know their cars and vehicle history on instant recall if that’s their focus.

And yes, the three Porsche dealers in my area now will just throw me the keys and let me drive the cars. I own two so I guess it shows I can afford them or am not a tire kicker.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:07 AM   #8
COChris
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2C

When I took delivery of my M2C, my salesman said multiple times that his favorite part about my car was the competition badge.

And recently at another BMW dealer, I asked to be put on the CS list if they had one, and they claimed to have no knowledge of the car and no list. The same salesman called me back 4 weeks later saying he had a used 2017 M2 that he would hold for me. He really must have not been listening.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Part of the problem is that BMW has so many models that it is hard for a salesman to know them all. Most dealers see so few M2s that it is not surprising that they don’t understand the model.

I was lucky that the sales manager owned an M2. He is a real car guy. Since then he has traded his M2 for an M2C. Interesting that he told me that there wasn’t enough difference to justify the trade and discouraged me from buying an M2C.
Appreciate 5
tranck500.50
akkando5863.00
qnet681.50
Franzino860.00
      08-24-2019, 12:21 PM   #10
lax01
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

What annoys me is - and I understand this is probably not a high margin part of their business - I say I'm looking to buy the next upcoming model and can I get put on the list to be notified when a waitlist is available or they have openings to configure. I provide personal info and then NEVER get a follow-up

Part of the reason I didn't get a M2C is because nobody ever followed up...whatever
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Seems fine to me. I’m anti dealership model but the ones that I do work with seem relatively knowledgeable and the service staff has been great.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #12
gobuffs
Captain
Rep
Drives: E30 M3 S54 (race car)

It’s rare to find a car enthusiast that is a car salesman. So, you are dealing with a salesman- cars, refrigerators, services, pharmaceuticals...doesn’t matter what they sell. They know the product just enough they can talk somewhat intelligently to 99% of the people they encounter. Most customers don’t care about much other than the color and their monthly payment.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 09:23 PM   #13
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

I don't think it's changed much. The ability to sell and deep knowledge of a product are not necessarily overlapping skills when it comes to many products.

You're also asking about one of the lowest volume cars BMW sells. I bet they know what the options are for leather colors in an X5 though.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 11:58 PM   #14
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post
Has anyone else noticed that the quality at BMW dealerships has kinda gone downhill?
I went to a Porsche dealer to look at the Cayman. The guy there knew everything about the car and its history. Plus there was that vibe that I would have to prove myself before they allowed me to touch one of the cars.
The Tesla store looks like an Apple store where all the young sales people can explain every option and have all the information at their finger tips.
Then I went to BMW to test drive an M2. I'm not even sure the salesperson had seen one before. She was super impressed that I could drive a stick. The only thing she could tell me about the M2 was "I think this is a fast one." What? I'm test driving one of the best sports cars on the market and that's the best you can come up with?
After my test drive of about 5 minutes, driving in a straight line on an expressway, she came up with ludicrous lease terms and asked me if I'm ready to buy. The whole thing felt like I was at Joe's used car shop where I can get "great cars for a fair price."
What happened to BMW? This isn't the only dealership that I've noticed go downhill.
It varies by dealership but overall I have to agree that the quality has gone down

Sales reps just put most effort in trying to look good and professional rather than studying what they are selling. As soon as you start asking car related questions, they either **** their way through it or they read the spec sheet in front of you. They will occasionally highlight something stupidly obvious like "Oh it has quad exhaust pipes" or bait and switch you with stuff like "This is an M version, so very fast" when looking at a 116 with a half **** m sport package.

Aftermarket / M-Performance area is a joke too. They know nothing and when they know something they annoyingly insist on the most expensive unnecessary items. Add to the mix their 30% mark-ups and their subsequent pathetic 5-10% discount and you're just left rolling your eyes.

My theory is that as a result of easier lending and other financial formulas that make purchasing a BMW more accessible, the vast majority of owners nowadays are just average **** with a bit of money whom are in it mostly for the status symbol. Current Dealership workforce is pretty much on level with this new major clientele. Unfortunately, enthusiasts aren't big profit makers, so they only care so much.

More than dealership quality going down, I'd argue that it is the BMW brand that is suffering.
Gone: E92 M3 | RS3 8V | E82 1M | AMG GT-S | X3M Comp | F80 M3 | Juke Nismo RS | E85 Z4 M Roadster | R58 Coupe JCW | F87 M2C| F87 M2 | F22 M240i | F82 M4 | E89 Z4 2.0i | F56 Cooper S | E92 330i | R56 One
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:05 AM   #15
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by COChris View Post
When I took delivery of my M2C, my salesman said multiple times that his favorite part about my car was the competition badge.

And recently at another BMW dealer, I asked to be put on the CS list if they had one, and they claimed to have no knowledge of the car and no list. The same salesman called me back 4 weeks later saying he had a used 2017 M2 that he would hold for me. He really must have not been listening.

I laugh at the competition badge thing, but my favorite feature of the new G chassis cars is how the gas door opens fully once you press it.
Not even joking, don't care about I-drive 6.0/7.0 I love that dang gas door.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 02:10 AM   #16
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

But I have to be careful with how I approach this.
I haven't worked with BMW as long as some people have but even in my short 4.5 years the way they've trained us has changed DRASTICALLY!
When I wen't to genius training it was NOTHING but product knowledge, drill it into your brain.
Not it's literally nothing about product knowledge and all to make the customer experience better, for customer retention.
It's great to have a good customer experience, but product knowledge has definitely been thrown out as a bottom tier requisite.
I still try to pride myself in knowing every feature and how it works on a BMW. Yet my customer base the most complex question I get asked is, can you pair my phone and garage door.
That's my day.
I meet a car enthusiast MAYBE once every 3 months that I can just talk about the car to him/her.
Appreciate 1
COChris888.50
      08-25-2019, 02:41 AM   #17
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The salesman told me my OG m2 has the same engine as M3 and M4 lol
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2019, 04:55 PM   #18
VA Jay
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

I have been treated terribly at a few BMW dealers. Went to one dealer to check out the car and to get some information about European delivery. The sales person said, "oh, follow me right this way..." and walked me out of the dealership. Now, I have worked at a BMW dealer and really expected a much better experience. Really not the case for this one dealer.
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2019, 11:32 AM   #19
TemjinX2
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi e92

car sales is a crap job with a high turn over. So i doubt average person will invest a lot of time learning the products unless their a fan. Also depends on which sales person you get. i talked to a few people at the dealership that loves bmws so much we talk in engine and platform codes and to other people its just a job and they have no clue.

i just do all my research ahead of time, and negotiate with the sales manager directly ahead of time...i just use the sales rep to test drive and sign paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #20
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

The turnover really is incredible in the industry. I have frequented dealers that would turn over their entire staff every year or two. Without sounding too apologetic for dealers I do feel it can't be easy to provide an ideal experience for every customer when you are always hiring and training new people.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2019, 04:30 PM   #21
arciga18
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: LeMans/ Chestnut E90, RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TemjinX2 View Post
car sales is a crap job with a high turn over. So i doubt average person will invest a lot of time learning the products unless their a fan. Also depends on which sales person you get. i talked to a few people at the dealership that loves bmws so much we talk in engine and platform codes and to other people its just a job and they have no clue.

i just do all my research ahead of time, and negotiate with the sales manager directly ahead of time...i just use the sales rep to test drive and sign paperwork.
Even this is a stretch with the new bmw genius positions at most stores.

Last couple of times my CA has just sent me with the genius ...
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 03:32 AM   #22
F87EVO
Major
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2 CS (6MT)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by danf72 View Post

This is happening to a lot of dealers , maybe the wrong person picked you . It really depends on the person who serve you. But the most likely is to find more information about the M2 on the forums than in the dealership. I bet my dealer doesnt know what is the engine code of the OG M2 ! as well about suspension , cooling etc... But this is happening and at the Porsche dealer in my area , zero knowledge , doesnt even know the history behind those cars..Sadly most employees at the dealership do this because of a regular job than work with passion about something they love.
Appreciate 1