BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Bmw M2 MPE two versions?

08-27-2019, 08:30 AM   #1
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Bmw M2 MPE two versions?

Hi everyone!

About to order my MPE exhaust from my dealer in USA. I'm reading through the forums and hearing there are new versions of this exhaust updated to fix rattle and other concerns. Can someone verify if this is true? Do I need ask my dealer for a specific model number or serial when order to ensure I get the newest version? Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:39 PM   #2
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

I can't speak to a version that addresses the rattle. I recently had one installed and it has a strong resonance on cold startup. There was an issue with the blue tooth controller. Here's an excerpt from a member that identifies the faulty controller:

"I had the same issue and got BMW to replace the controller module + Bluetooth switch

Check out the RA sticker (white sticker) on your module, if it’s a 15V Exx or Fxx its no good, a known faulty module. it needs to be a 17V F08 or other module.

Contact Kevin at BMW USA - super nice guy - you’ll get squared away in no time "

On ours, we have '17V G47'. I'm never one to assume, but it seems if BMW has to order the part it would be one that addresses the issue. Once installed, check the module and verify that the valves are opening.

Hope that helps,
Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Hi everyone!

About to order my MPE exhaust from my dealer in USA. I'm reading through the forums and hearing there are new versions of this exhaust updated to fix rattle and other concerns. Can someone verify if this is true? Do I need ask my dealer for a specific model number or serial when order to ensure I get the newest version? Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #3
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Okay thanks for the info. They don't have it in stock so I know it's coming from a warehouse locally in one to two days so hoping I get the new version. I don't want any issues lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:28 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

From what I remember, the revision was to use a different clamp to connect the MPE where the OEM was cut to resolve rattling.

Looking at realoem.com, this seems as the only revision as the MPE has a the MPE system (and all other of it's individual pieces) has a production start date of 1/1/2016 or earlier, but the clamp has a start date of 6/1/2017

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=18302412432

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/par...&q=18302456695
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I thought M2 MPE required no Cutting since the piping goes all the way back.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 05:04 PM   #6
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

They won't cut the MPE, rather the stock piping is cut at a specific offset (dimple). The MPE then slides over that area and the clamp (as mentioned by Anthony1s) joins the two systems.

Your SA may be calling you and asking if you want to keep the existing system (what's left of it). I declined as I had no way to transport it back home and it wasn't going in my X3. Something to consider nonetheless.

I can't emphasize enough for you to check that those valves are opening before driving off. I didn't and realized a week later that the controller wasn't actuating the valves. SA tried to convince me over the phone the exhaust was loud and therefore it worked. Yes, I'm female but not new to performance cars. Drove it directly to him and made him get on the ground and look at the valves. Oh look, they don't open. He tried to pair the controller to the module and that didn't work either. I asked him for the documentation and he claimed it didn't come with any. Yeah - OK. He then told me that he wasn't sure what to do at that point. That was weeks ago. I guess he wants my husband to deal with it (big mistake). Happy birthday husband (this was a gift).

My other advice is to make sure you check every inch of the car when you take delivery. The SA was acting strange the whole time, trying to maintain my attention towards the exhaust and CF tips. I then walked around the car and noticed they damaged the rear wheel. Something they weren't about to point out to me. I've hidden all this from my husband for weeks (his car). Luckily he travels and the car is parked at our other house.

Hope all of this helps and I'm sure everything will go great.

- Monika

Quote:
I thought M2 MPE required no Cutting since the piping goes all the way back.
Appreciate 1
akkando5863.00
      08-27-2019, 05:06 PM   #7
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks! I was reading about the controller a little bit. The controller goes in the cabin with you correct? I was reading about something going in the trunk too?
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2019, 07:40 PM   #8
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Thanks! I was reading about the controller a little bit. The controller goes in the cabin with you correct? I was reading about something going in the trunk too?
The trunk button is not on the USA version. It's only in the UK version and maybe other versions, because there is some law having to do with it. A law saying you can't open the valves from inside the vehicle or something.
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2019, 06:57 PM   #9
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Garage List
I have the latest version on my '18 LCI and it rattles. Local dealer and BMWNA have given up trying to fix it.

(SOLD) 2018 M2 BSM LCI, DCT, Executive, Drivers Assist, CarPlay
Appreciate 1
skiparock182.50
      09-07-2019, 09:10 PM   #10
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
I have the latest version on my '18 LCI and it rattles. Local dealer and BMWNA have given up trying to fix it.
Do you have CF exhaust tips or the titanium tips?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'm using cyba tips and it still rattles
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2019, 09:13 PM   #12
Cvale728
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI F87 M2

Has anyone come up with a solution for the vibrations/rattle at cold start? I recently installed an MPE on my car and I'm having the same issue....not sure if I have the revised clamp, but I have read on other treads that some members had the area where the 2 pipes join Welded together (instead of using a clamp) and that solved the issue.
2005 Orient Blue (rare) E46 330ci ZHP
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2019, 03:58 AM   #13
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvale728 View Post
Has anyone come up with a solution for the vibrations/rattle at cold start? I recently installed an MPE on my car and I'm having the same issue....not sure if I have the revised clamp, but I have read on other treads that some members had the area where the 2 pipes join Welded together (instead of using a clamp) and that solved the issue.
I had the later slide-over joint/clamp MPE on my 2016 M2, it had been fine for near 2 years, up until very recently.

Cold-start rattle came, removed CF tips to see it was cause, rattle still present.

In my case, it was nothing to do the mating clamp where MPE joins existing front pipe. Both valve stems were loose and were sole cause of my car's rattling MPE.

BMW techs thought there was a repair kit, but there wasn't. New MPE replaced under warranty no more rattling....so far.

Current '22 X3M LCI..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #14
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
Do you have CF exhaust tips or the titanium tips?
CF. Sorry for the delayed response. Here's a link the video I made and shared with two different dealerships.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 08:49 PM   #15
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
There is no official fix per my dealer and the corporate tech they worked with.

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2019, 10:50 PM   #16
Cvale728
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LCI F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 410 View Post
Quote:
There is no official fix per my dealer and the corporate tech they worked with.

I was experiencing the same exact vibrations/rattling in your video, but in my case i figured out what the problem was. My friend and I put the car on a lift 2 days ago and loosened up the clamp, and then pushed (with force) the MPE exhaust pipe further into the stock midpipe, re-tightened clamp...zero issues since.

The "M" engraving on the tips aren't as visible anymore obviously unless you are close up, but who cares....no more annoying vibrations at cold start! Based on what i've read on multiple treads, a few members have done what i have and this has solved their problem as well.
2005 Orient Blue (rare) E46 330ci ZHP
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2019, 09:44 AM   #17
HTTP 410
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I was experiencing the same exact vibrations/rattling in your video, but in my case i figured out what the problem was. My friend and I put the car on a lift 2 days ago and loosened up the clamp, and then pushed (with force) the MPE exhaust pipe further into the stock midpipe, re-tightened clamp...zero issues since.

The "M" engraving on the tips aren't as visible anymore obviously unless you are close up, but who cares....no more annoying vibrations at cold start! Based on what i've read on multiple treads, a few members have done what i have and this has solved their problem as well.
Thanks for the info. In my case, the dealers thought the entire exhaust was shifted too far forward. Who knows...

Appreciate 0