BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Uncontrollable iDrive System

10-26-2018, 02:54 PM   #23
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who? View Post
Is there a revised part number for us to mention when we bring this up with the dealer?
Its happened to me once, and want to fix it before warranty’s up
My car is in for service today and I showed them videos of my screen doing this.

Service Adviser told me that there is a tech bulletin out about this problem, and he is including it with my paperwork for the service. So when I get the car back, I'll scan or photograph the TSB and post it up here.

So it's apparently fairly common / common enough that they have a TSB for it.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 1
M2guru374.50
      11-11-2018, 10:53 PM   #24
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
If you're having the iDrive "self touching" (masturbating??) problem, ask your adviser to look for BMW SI "B65 26 17".

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of this, but this was noted on my invoice with the repair work.
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 2
bluez60.00
M2guru374.50
      04-04-2019, 09:54 PM   #25
bluez6
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

THANK YOU ALL! My M3 started doing that within a couple months of delivery over a year ago. It's been very intermittent, and haven't seen it all winter. I thought maybe since the car is connected to BMW, maybe they downloaded a software update to fix it. Then it happened today after sitting bright sunlight. Previously I thought maybe it was heat related, but as today was pretty cool, the sunlight theory seems more likely.
When it first happened I called the dealer service manager and he claimed at the time there was no service bulletin or known fix. Tomorrow I'm calling him with the info from this forum. This problem is really bad as there is so much controlled by the idrive. Thanks again!
BTW, Things like this are just not acceptable. When you spend so much money on a new car you expect it to be without issues. The fact its under warranty doesn't make up for the fact that something went wrong with your expensive brand new car.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #26
overlander
Registered
Rep
Drives: m240i

Thanks for this thread, great information! I have a 2018 m240i xdrive cabrio that has exhibited this exact problem about four times in the year I've owned it. I had assumed it was the iDrive controller, but now I know it is the touch screen; this will be helpful when I bring it into the dealer. Besides this issue, and a noisy fuel pump when the tank gets low, my first BMW has been pretty decent!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #27
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluez6 View Post
THANK YOU ALL! My M3 started doing that within a couple months of delivery over a year ago. It's been very intermittent, and haven't seen it all winter. I thought maybe since the car is connected to BMW, maybe they downloaded a software update to fix it. Then it happened today after sitting bright sunlight. Previously I thought maybe it was heat related, but as today was pretty cool, the sunlight theory seems more likely.
When it first happened I called the dealer service manager and he claimed at the time there was no service bulletin or known fix. Tomorrow I'm calling him with the info from this forum. This problem is really bad as there is so much controlled by the idrive. Thanks again!
BTW, Things like this are just not acceptable. When you spend so much money on a new car you expect it to be without issues. The fact its under warranty doesn't make up for the fact that something went wrong with your expensive brand new car.

I think it is heat related, if you touch the screen on a nornal.day you will see how it is hot af

Sunlight is heat btw, through glass its like a greenhouse effect
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2019, 07:01 AM   #28
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Update: Brought my 18 M2 in yesterday to have the dealer look at it. Thankfully it was warm enough for the dealer to witness it (they weren't going to trust my video of the uncontrollable device). Car will sit at the dealer all weekend and is predicted to be repaired by Monday afternoon by replacing the screen.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #29
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
If you're having the iDrive "self touching" (masturbating??) problem, ask your adviser to look for BMW SI "B65 26 17".

Unfortunately I don't have a copy of this, but this was noted on my invoice with the repair work.
I'm having the same intermittent problems for the past few months with my 2018 M240xi ragtop..
What did they end up doing to fix the problem (assuming that it has been fixed)???

TIA
      09-05-2019, 06:09 PM   #30
CryptoM2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfile View Post
I'm having the same intermittent problems for the past few months with my 2018 M240xi ragtop..
What did they end up doing to fix the problem (assuming that it has been fixed)???

TIA
Replace the screen
Appreciate 1
      09-05-2019, 09:30 PM   #31
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Yep, I had my screen replaced too. I happened to be driving past a dealership (not my normal one) while it was happening and got the service manager to take a look. It stopped doing it again after that, but they'd already agreed to replace it.

When I picked the car up, as usual with my experience with dealership repairs, they hadn't fitted it properly (it wasn't fully pushed down on one side), so I removed and re-installed it myself once I got home.

In the stack of papers they had me sign when I picked up the car was the cost of the screen. They took that paper back and my copies of the work order don't have that amount on them, but I do remember it being ridiculously expensive.

So if you have this issue EVER... get it replaced before your warranty expires!

Current Performance Mods:
CSF FMIC, ER CP, Fabspeed Cat, Aquamist WMI, GFB DV+, NGK 97506, BM3 (Stage 2 93 OTS), CDV delete, UCP, M2C/M3/M4 Strut Brace, M3/M4 Reinforcement Rings
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2023, 07:38 AM   #32
tgb1974
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F83 M4 (DCT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezil View Post
Yep, I had my screen replaced too. I happened to be driving past a dealership (not my normal one) while it was happening and got the service manager to take a look. It stopped doing it again after that, but they'd already agreed to replace it.

When I picked the car up, as usual with my experience with dealership repairs, they hadn't fitted it properly (it wasn't fully pushed down on one side), so I removed and re-installed it myself once I got home.

In the stack of papers they had me sign when I picked up the car was the cost of the screen. They took that paper back and my copies of the work order don't have that amount on them, but I do remember it being ridiculously expensive.

So if you have this issue EVER... get it replaced before your warranty expires!
Reviving this old thread. I have a 2016 F83 M4, and I recently retrofitted the NBTevo ID6 headunit and iDrive controller. Now I am swapping out the non-touch display for a touchscreen display. To avoid buying a touchscreen with this ghost/phantom touch issue, I bought BMW part no. 8709339 (also designated 6558709339), which according to realoem.com is the final version of this part. Mine came out of a 2020 F87 M2, as it happens.

My question: when the dealers changed out your touchscreens, did you receive part no. 8709339? I ask because it appears from your posts that the replaced screen does not exhibit the ghost/phantom touch problem, and I am trying to determine if part no. 8709339 is known to resolve this problem. Thanks very much!
2016 BMW F83 ///M4 Tanzanite Blue Metallic/Silverstone Full Merino // NBTevo ID 6 retrofit // G3x/F90 10.25" MGU display retrofit // GTS flash // SmartTOP // 437M + Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter) // 359M + ContiSportContact 5P (summer)
Retired: 2013 E93 M3 | 2015 F22 M235i xDrive | 2012 E70 X5 xDrive 35d | 2010 E90 328i xDrive
Appreciate 0