BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Coding Optical Audio Output to On? M2

08-22-2019, 05:30 AM   #1
John Kleis Car Audio
Shop Manager
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 x Vauxhall Astras

Coding Optical Audio Output to On? M2

Good Morning Everyone

Our first post here, hopefully first of many! I may document an M2 we are doing a few upgrades on at the moment (including removing all of the HK and replacing it with proper audio!)

I was wondering if anyone has done the above? For some reason in this M2 the HK Amp is copper cabling input, which is different to 3, 4 & 5 Series HK systems which are all optical.

I am assuming its something to do with this car being a S674 Spec and not the S688 spec?

I was wondering if anyone has got on ista or other tools and programmed the vehicle to give an optical audio output so you can then add a nice MOST to toslink audio adaptor for a full digital audio transfer?

Can anyone shed some light on this please?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2019, 03:16 PM   #2
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

You can program that with Bimmercode. Check out my audio build thread here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529438

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
I found some more time to do some updates. My OCD was kicking in and I wanted a full digital signal from the headunit to the amp/dsp. So I went ahead and ordered a Mobridge DA1.

I got my inspiration for installing the DA1 and running the MOST net to the trunk from 2addicts user gtmax500 His build thread is here: https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1350726

First step was to rip apart the dash to get behind the headunit to connect the MOST net Y-cable. I was sweating bullets the whole time scared I was going to scratch something.

Next was running the 4m MOST cable to the trunk. Once again, scary stuff to do to a new car.

DA1 in the trunk

Final product. I have the DA1 mounted behind the ASD amp. I know it looks like the MOST cable is being pulled too tight but it's not. It's pretty stiff cable and that's just the way it lays in there. There's about 3-4 inches of slack in the cable.

While I had the interior torn apart, I ran the control cable for the Director. I temporarily mounted the control unit in the center console until I can get a proper housing made for it.

Now I wish I could say my install went as easily as gtmax500's. I'm currently having a issue with the DA1 not wanting to be programmed to the "BMW" MOST net standard. When I use the Mobridge setup software, the DA1 always reverts to "Audi" no matter how many times I select "BMW". I'm still waiting for a reply from Mobridge support about that.

One the plus side, the Director is working beautifully.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
John Kleis Car Audio
Shop Manager
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2 x Vauxhall Astras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtboy View Post
You can program that with Bimmercode. Check out my audio build thread here: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1529438
Awesome! thanks for replying, sorry for my delayed reply. I will have a ready

Glad someone else has done it. What idrive do you have? 4 or 5/6? I read up that the NBT Evo idrive 5/6 is a lot harder to code for optical audio output than the 4.

I assume you car didn't have HK as standard then so no optical audio switched on from factory?

We need to look into this Bimmercode I think, we outsource all of our coding.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 08:32 PM   #4
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kleis Car Audio View Post
Awesome! thanks for replying, sorry for my delayed reply. I will have a ready

Glad someone else has done it. What idrive do you have? 4 or 5/6? I read up that the NBT Evo idrive 5/6 is a lot harder to code for optical audio output than the 4.

I assume you car didn't have HK as standard then so no optical audio switched on from factory?

We need to look into this Bimmercode I think, we outsource all of our coding.
I have idrive 6. Very easy to switch MOST digital audio on with Bimmercode. U.S. spec M2's come standard with HK audio, but the system uses analog differential balanced output to the amp.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2019, 02:05 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

None of the 2-series use the MOST bus.

I'm not sure why one would want to do this. Any improvements in sound quality are likely inaudible.

In fact, normally, you need to do the opposite: Use a MOST adapter to turn that digital signal into analog so that you can input to a DSP or amp. To me, it is a blessing that the 2-series is too 'low end' for BMW to use MOST.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2022, 07:54 PM   #6
LAFM2
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Did you have any luck? I’m trying to get a helix sdmi25 to work right now. I’ve got the magic red light back there but I’m not getting any signal into the helix DSP. I’m wondering if I need to turn on the audio signal on the MOST network
Appreciate 0