BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M2 6MT hp limit with forged internals?

01-17-2023, 09:32 PM   #1
Alex_M2Hell
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 PureTurbos

Lightbulb M2 6MT hp limit with forged internals?

Hi, this is my first thread and question - I’m currently running PureTurbos Stage 2 kit upgrade with custom map, forged internals from VAC motorsports and practically full bolt-on as far as the rest goes (air intake, charge pipes, intercooler etc.)

My PT turbo died after like 10.000 km, waiting for mechanic to pull it out and see if we’re gonna file a warranty claim with PureTurbos but that’s another story…

What I am interested in is this:
With a bigger turbo, what do you guys think is the HP limit? With a nice power curve, no crazy peaks.
And what are potentially problems/limitations along the way? Meaning what else would I need to upgrade?

Thanks in advance!
Alex

• 2016 M2 6MT • PureTurbos Stage 2 • Custom tune 505hp 680nm • VAC Motorsports Forged internals • Porsche GT3 Carbon Pole Position Seats • Rear seat delete • HRE FF01 19” wheels
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2023, 09:40 PM   #2
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

1000whp

But just once.
Appreciate 1
      01-18-2023, 03:51 PM   #3
Liukk89
Italy
Rep
Drives: F87 m2 lci

Garage List
2017 Bmw M2 lci  [9.67]
Limit would be the turbo itself, hybrid turbos can't push more than 520/550 hp on pump fuel (no ethanol) you have to switch to a turbokit
The second limit would be the open deck engine
Everything depends on what you have to do with your car, it's a bit different if you use the car for heavy track use, occasional pulls or drag
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 04:32 PM   #4
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Are you still open deck?
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:36 PM   #5
Alex_M2Hell
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson kop View Post
1000whp

But just once.
Haha I bet but that's not what I am going for really
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:39 PM   #6
Alex_M2Hell
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liukk89 View Post
Limit would be the turbo itself, hybrid turbos can't push more than 520/550 hp on pump fuel (no ethanol) you have to switch to a turbokit
The second limit would be the open deck engine
Everything depends on what you have to do with your car, it's a bit different if you use the car for heavy track use, occasional pulls or drag
Yeah I know the limitations of hybrid turbo, I have an ethanol kit ready to be installed as well but I am considering just buying a bigger turbo instead of pureturbos again and tune 700-800 whp possibly, preferably multimap because 700-800 whp at all times would be useless on a racetrack
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 05:41 PM   #7
Alex_M2Hell
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Eidos View Post
Are you still open deck?
Yes still open-deck, I'd rather settle for lower hp rather than convert to closed-deck I guess... do you have an idea how much is it roughly? I did not look into it yet
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 06:13 PM   #8
-Eidos
@lbb_kev
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 (LBB)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_M2Hell View Post
Yes still open-deck, I'd rather settle for lower hp rather than convert to closed-deck I guess... do you have an idea how much is it roughly? I did not look into it yet
Being open deck will limit how long you can run at high torque for so I recommend doing that first if you're looking to beat on the car. While the block is out, you might as well do an upgraded crank hub with the crank bolt capture for insurance. You're going to be modded to a point where it doesn't make sense to skimp out on things because replacing/upgrading will cost more than just doing it right the first time.

Closed deck conversion will probably cost between $2-$3k without all of the other labor. Most go with cylinder support systems.
Speedtech Stage 3 (8474) | Remus Exhaust | Wagner EVO 3 | XClutch | DS2 + Lift Kit | Nostrum S2 Injectors | TI E5LM | Torqbyte EKP | Intrax 1K2 | SPL | Drexler GT Race Light LSD by limitedslip.de | Schirmer Diff Lift Kit

Full E85 DI-Only 717WHP Flex Fuel tuned by BendCalibration (ECUTek) | Built by SD Garage
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 08:09 PM   #9
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_M2Hell View Post
You are probably already close if you want long term reliability. The Apex ring taxi had an S55 fail with a hairline crack in a cylinder at around 500 WHP after about 23k miles on track. Could be a one-off, and obviously they run it hard, but it's also an S55.
Appreciate 1