BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Did Thor Flasher Close?

12-21-2021, 03:20 PM   #1
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F87 M2

Did Thor Flasher Close?

Has Thor gone out of business? I have their app and their DCT/TC settings on my car. I was looking into changing up some of the DCT settings (m2cs if available) when I noticed you can't buy anything of theirs and can't seem to find their app in store to check for new updates. If it has closed up shop will I be able to still change settings?

Are there any other DCT tunes that are better? Oddly I find the comfort manual shifting to be perfect its very quick and direct while the sport/sport+ has a weird lag between disengaging and reengaging gears.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Yup they are gone. I think BMW sued them or something I really don't know but that is what I heard.

But imo Thor was a huge rip off, because they didn't do anything special. All thor did was just change the FDL coding in the DSC, EPS, GHAS, EGS modules and call it a "flash" while charging an obscene amount of money to do it, and people bought it up. You can do the exact same thing in Esys for free - well you will need a launcher and that won't be free if you want to be able to do F87cs settings all others should be fine with token master's readily available launcher pro 2.8.2.

Just make sure you don't delete the app, because if it is gone then you're never getting it back and you essentially wasted your money. I heard alot of people got screwed over by thor once they left and some people never got refunds.
      12-21-2021, 04:05 PM   #3
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yup they are gone. I think BMW sued them or something I really don't know but that is what I heard.

But imo Thor was a huge rip off, because they didn't do anything special. All thor did was just change the FDL coding in the DSC, EPS, GHAS, EGS modules and call it a "flash" while charging an obscene amount of money to do it, and people bought it up. You can do the exact same thing in Esys for free - well you will need a launcher and that won't be free if you want to be able to do F87cs settings all others should be fine with token master's readily available launcher pro 2.8.2.

Just make sure you don't delete the app, because if it is gone then you're never getting it back and you essentially wasted your money. I heard alot of people got screwed over by thor once they left and some people never got refunds.
It was expensive although I didn't know any better but the TC "flash" has been a blast. I haven't heard of esys but thanks for introducing me to it, I'll look into it.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 06:20 PM   #4
BallHog5873
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Manual, 2016 328D Wagon

They were trash. Good riddance.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 07:40 PM   #5
Possessed
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i xdrive

Before I flashed xHP the first time I bought a “Thor Ethernet adapter” (out of ignorance) which was a random Wish/Alibaba adapter they had not even bothered to put their own logo sticker on.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 08:48 PM   #6
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I’ve been pretty happy with their DCT flash, much better than OEM.

What coding parameters have to be changed to match their DCT flash?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 10:37 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHog5873 View Post
They were trash. Good riddance.
I have heard some users were left with bricked cars when the flashing procedure failed which is unfortunate. It should be salvageable by manually reflashing each module that was affected by Thor or just flashing a new istep to the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possessed View Post
Before I flashed xHP the first time I bought a “Thor Ethernet adapter” (out of ignorance) which was a random Wish/Alibaba adapter they had not even bothered to put their own logo sticker on.
Wait so it wasn't just their special pink adapter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post

I think the egs is the only thing they did a bit different than just simple parameter changes, there might be a bit extra coding that they did in the egs module to attain better shifting feel on the m2 (eg MDM isn't the only coding you can do, you can change region for even more slip). I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't f82 GTS egs, and it was f87cs egs or maybe they found different shift parameters in the egs module. If you have esys you can open the ncd file and compare it to a stock version and see what's changed.

Otherwise the only thing I think Thor possibly does is flash newer firmware onto the modules that need to be updated in order to access something like f87cs steering or GHAS, and then just codes it in. There is no special code that they write for any of the modules, otherwise they'd literally have to crack the egs module figure out how BMW wrote and signed the code in order to have it function like stock and not cause errors. Or tear apart an entire chassis coding file and rewrite the entire manners of how the transmission shifts which is not an easy feat. I suspect there are other parameters in the egs module that allow for different behaviors in how the transmission shifts and that's what they altered.

Just like how many people thought custom firmware was needed to disable xdrive or rev matching but then someone figured out you can code it off. There's alot of stuff in these ecus that can drastically alter the behavior of the car and not much testing has been done to discover those features. Better braking coding has recently been discussed too and that wasn't thought to be possible earlier on.
      12-21-2021, 10:54 PM   #8
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I am also starting to think that the reason why just coding f82 gts EGS causes a rough shifting experience is because the car is looking for the transmission shift mode selector that the m2 does not have. Thor may have figured out a way to code that out and into a preset setting and that is why the C is no longer on the dash.

Also make sure you are careful with their flasher, I have heard alot of people end up with bricked cars. It could be due to their adapter being junk and failing because it does look like they bought a cheapo obd2 adapter and put a 3d printed shell on it.

Edit - So I suppose the dct option is the only thing that makes the thor flasher worth it, well I actually think the guys over on the coding forum have figured it out too. So we will see.

Last edited by F87source; 12-22-2021 at 01:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2021, 09:13 AM   #9
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

The DCT flash was the main reason I bought it b/c I had already done the steering, diff, and MDM coding. Altho, it was nice to be able to simply open the app on my phone and change those parameters in 5min.

That said, connecting the app to the car was a bitch. You didn't need their special dongle, but there was a pretty goofy way of needing an internet connection to authorize with THOR's servers, and then turning off the internet connection and bluetooth so that the ethernet connection would work correctly. Totally sucked and no where near as easy as connecting and flashing with something like BM3, but it worked easy and fast once I figured that out.

The F82 DCT flash for the M2 (even the one in BM3) totally sucks, and XHP is very expensive. The THOR DCT tune has been awesome, but they're no longer and like you said now we have the F87CS DCT flash option.

Those of us with older istep versions will need to update to get the latest F87CS coding, and I'll probably just use a coder for that work instead of trying to learn all the software.
Appreciate 1
F87source7251.50
      12-24-2021, 04:26 PM   #10
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Not had any problems with Thor flashing with their slow 3D printed dongle or the black MHD one which is much faster.

It had a use case for me, I can't update my car with official files due to guage cluster lci retrofit preventing it. I also don't know how to use or want to use esys.

I'll def keep the app on my phone.

Only thing I wasn't sure about was sometimes the car seemed to feel like it had gone back to normal steering after a while when I had flashed GTS
But I have no way of proving this and may easily have been me getting used to the heavier GTS steering very quickly.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:49 PM   #11
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I think those of us that have THOR can no longer use it even if we have the app bc they’ve shutdown their authentication servers.

Right/wrong?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:57 PM   #12
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think those of us that have THOR can no longer use it even if we have the app bc they’ve shutdown their authentication servers.

Right/wrong?
I think that's only if you want to buy a new license, but I could be mistaken.
      02-12-2023, 05:33 AM   #13
Carrera2RS
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I really liked my steering changes, I think I may lost the settings for some reason and wanted to set the steering and diff settings again. Is there an easy way of doing this ?

I see codes and 'flash' but I donuts have any software or ECU access other than the THOR wifi adapter
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 09:16 AM   #14
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I lost my THOR app access during my last phone upgrade. When you do a backup/restore from iCloud (vs iTunes on your PC) it redownloads each app and if the app is no longer in the App Store, then there’s nothing to download!

At least I have all my chassis & DCT settings flashed the way I want. Their DCT flash really is/was phenomenal.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 04:19 PM   #15
WedgeSalad
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I lost my THOR app access during my last phone upgrade. When you do a backup/restore from iCloud (vs iTunes on your PC) it redownloads each app and if the app is no longer in the App Store, then there’s nothing to download!

At least I have all my chassis & DCT settings flashed the way I want. Their DCT flash really is/was phenomenal.
Oh wow I am sorry to hear that. I appreciate you letting us/me know. Which settings are your favorite? I still have the app but I haven't upgraded phones yet.

I will say after some time the DCT settings are very good.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 04:59 PM   #16
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WedgeSalad View Post
Oh wow I am sorry to hear that. I appreciate you letting us/me know. Which settings are your favorite? I still have the app but I haven't upgraded phones yet.

I will say after some time the DCT settings are very good.
I have my chassis settings set to CS. GTS is fun around town, but if you ever push to the limit on track in MDM, the GTS settings intervene weirdly on the M2 bc they're really meant for the M3/4.

I usually run with DSC full off on track, but if it's wet or a new track for me I'll start in MDM and the CS settings work better at the limit.
Appreciate 2