BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Performance Engine Software for the F87 M2 (N55)

04-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #89
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanen View Post
Hi I am considering my options, I have a Dinantronics Stg 1 piggyback on my 2017 M2 6spd with the Dinan intercooler and HJS 300 cell sport cat...I am getting ready to add the Dinan Turbo.

Two questions, 1)given your exchange program what is the cost to go from the Dinantronics Stg 1 to the Flash Stg 2?
2) Does the flash adapt to get the benefit of the 300 cell sport cat? (if not is the power gained from the sport cat nullified or simply not fully realized?)
1. Exhange program would give you credit for the stage 1 flash so you would just be paying the difference between stages ($50) + whatever install costs from the dealer.
2. Flash will not account for the sport cat but the lack of some restriction in the path will have some minor benefit to efficiency, etc. Put simply, it will not be fully maximized to its potential is all.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 02:58 AM   #90
martin-d
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Question

Hello!

In Norway, we only have 95 and 98 Octane. I dont see them listed at the website either. How would this flash tune work for those octane numbers?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2021, 07:25 AM   #91
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin-d View Post
Hello!

In Norway, we only have 95 and 98 Octane. I dont see them listed at the website either. How would this flash tune work for those octane numbers?
US fuel is based around AKI ratings (fuel grades we report in). Europe is typically measured in RON ratings. Rough conversion between the two is:

87 AKI = 91 RON
91 AKI = 93 RON
93 AKI = 98 RON
100 AKI = 104 RON
104 AKI = 108 RON
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 12:16 PM   #92
Q_Subsub
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW 6MT

I was waiting for a while for this to be released and I must have missed the announcement.

With that said, I just went through the Dinan website and I'm a bit confused; when I look at the dynos for each product am I correctly reading that both the Dinantronics Stage 4 and the electronic wastegate version of the Stage 2 flash are making (mostly) more power and torque than the one for the M2? (at 93 octane)

Also, the dyno graph lists stage 1 (93 octane) peak torque at 447 but the table at the bottom of the page lists 430. What's going on?

I understand that it was said all along that the Stage 2 flash was going to make very comparable numbers to the Dinantronics Stage 4, but I would like to know if the stage 2 flash is actually making slightly (but noticeably) less power than Stage 4 piggyback. If that is the case, is the case for upgrade to flash to gain some additional features (octane versatility, gauges, speed governor) at the expense of some power?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 09:04 AM   #93
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q_Subsub View Post
I was waiting for a while for this to be released and I must have missed the announcement.

With that said, I just went through the Dinan website and I'm a bit confused; when I look at the dynos for each product am I correctly reading that both the Dinantronics Stage 4 and the electronic wastegate version of the Stage 2 flash are making (mostly) more power and torque than the one for the M2? (at 93 octane)
They are basically identical peak numbers. What you are seeing are the 2 cars run on 2 different dynos. We have 2 mustangs, a dynapack, and a superflow (for emissions) in house and while we try to get them all synched up pretty closely there are some small deviations between them on reporting. In the case of the flashes at least, they are recent enough where the callibrator recalls which dyno they were run on. One of the Mustangs reads 4% higher then the other. The non-M2 (435i) was run on the slightly higher reading dyno whereas the M2 on the lesser. If you multiply the M2 numbers by 1.04 you get the comparable numbers to the 435i. 385/422 (M2) vs. 384/439 (435i).

Quote:
Also, the dyno graph lists stage 1 (93 octane) peak torque at 447 but the table at the bottom of the page lists 430. What's going on?
Not sure where you are seeing this to be honest. The table on the bottom is all in crank numbers (to compare directly with listed factory numbers) whereas the charts above it are defaulted at the wheel. You can change the chart types though so just make sure you are comparing the same types of numbers and looking at the right columns in the table. Maybe that is where the issue lies.

Quote:
I understand that it was said all along that the Stage 2 flash was going to make very comparable numbers to the Dinantronics Stage 4, but I would like to know if the stage 2 flash is actually making slightly (but noticeably) less power than Stage 4 piggyback. If that is the case, is the case for upgrade to flash to gain some additional features (octane versatility, gauges, speed governor) at the expense of some power?
Peak number wise they are basically identical. The flash has more robust control with better fuel and cooling management then the DINANTRONICS can provide so there is a small advantage to overall power with the flash at the low/mid range. However, at the top its non-existent given the limitation of the platform is fueling in general. As far as comparing the charts between the 2 (DINANTRONICS vs. Flash) its a bit decieving just because the datasets are years apart (2016 vs. 2020), on different dynos (Dynapack vs. Mustang), on different vehicles, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 02:14 PM   #94
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2024 M4 Comp X-Drive

Garage List
With these tunes are you able to turn off ASD, edit burbles, or other simple configuration options?
      04-28-2021, 03:00 PM   #95
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM2 View Post
With these tunes are you able to turn off ASD, edit burbles, or other simple configuration options?
Short answer, no. Generally speaking Dinan is more a set and forget type solution rather then a tinkerer's solution. That may ultimately change as time goes by and new products are released but as it stands today I think that statement is pretty accurate.

For those 2 mentioned specifically -- ASD is a coding function not calibration. In terms of burble settings we avoid altering intensity (minimum ignition timing) with the stock catalysts in the equation. Goes down a slippery slope with emissions. Typically the most we will do is implement CP burble settings on a non-CP car as an example so it is still deemed within acceptable factory tolerances. Duration is changed in some instances on platforms where the window for the burble is next to non-existant so you can at least enjoy a bit of sound but those instance usually only apply to 4-cylinder vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 07:12 PM   #96
Mosfry
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Z4 X3

Crap. I been waiting for this flash for months now. Been in Florida for winter and just came back north. Turns out my two local BMW dealers stopped selling DINAN products. It was so easy going to them for my maintenance and loaner.

I'll have to find another place now.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 03:48 PM   #97
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Short answer, no. Generally speaking Dinan is more a set and forget type solution rather then a tinkerer's solution. That may ultimately change as time goes by and new products are released but as it stands today I think that statement is pretty accurate.

For those 2 mentioned specifically -- ASD is a coding function not calibration. In terms of burble settings we avoid altering intensity (minimum ignition timing) with the stock catalysts in the equation. Goes down a slippery slope with emissions. Typically the most we will do is implement CP burble settings on a non-CP car as an example so it is still deemed within acceptable factory tolerances. Duration is changed in some instances on platforms where the window for the burble is next to non-existant so you can at least enjoy a bit of sound but those instance usually only apply to 4-cylinder vehicles.
Thanks, I was wondering if you could set it in the flash before you installed it. (Understanding I'd need Bimmercode or similar to change it)

Does your stage 1 93 tune leave the burbles stock?

Cheers,
Chris
      04-30-2021, 03:52 PM   #98
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I was wondering if you could set it in the flash before you installed it. (Understanding I'd need Bimmercode or similar to change it)

Cheers,
Chris
You coudl change the coding whenever. Pre / post. Doesn't matter. The coding side isnt changed.

Burbles are stock. IMHO, on the N55 M2, especially with the Dinan exhaust, they are pretty aggressive as is.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:43 PM   #99
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Any updates to the Stage 4 software?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:47 PM   #100
ChrisM4
Captain
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers,
Chris
You coudl change the coding whenever. Pre / post. Doesn't matter. The coding side isnt changed.

Burbles are stock. IMHO, on the N55 M2, especially with the Dinan exhaust, they are pretty aggressive as is.
Thanks, I'd actually prefer less burbles than stock to be honest haha
      04-30-2021, 04:55 PM   #101
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrKevM5 View Post
The Stage 2 Flash? HERE.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      04-30-2021, 04:56 PM   #102
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I'd actually prefer less burbles than stock to be honest haha
Shhhhh... them is fighting words for a lot of people. =)
Appreciate 3
      04-30-2021, 05:23 PM   #103
DrKevM5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 X5, F87 M2

Quote:
Quote:
The Stage 2 Flash? HERE.
No, I'm referring to the Dinan Performance Tuner Stage 4. I've had this package for three years and was inquiring about any updates for the software. https://www.dinancars.com/products/s.../D440-1649-ST4
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:34 PM   #104
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The Stage 2 Flash? HERE.
No, I'm referring to the Dinan Performance Tuner Stage 4. I've had this package for three years and was inquiring about any updates for the software. https://www.dinancars.com/products/s.../D440-1649-ST4
Contact tech support with your MAC address and they can see if there is an update from your current firmware. It would just be a patch for any problems though that may have affected isolated cars and not an update to power or features or anything.
Appreciate 1
DrKevM52274.50
      08-09-2021, 07:46 AM   #105
deosaa9
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Looking to purchase E90 M3 6MT

Hey Dinan_Engineering

A couple of quick questions for the M2 LCI I just bought:

1. Does the 93 octane dinan+ honor factory extended warranty as well? What about the Zurich extended warranty? The warranty on my LCI expires this Fall
2. Any concerns about the compatibility of 93 octane Dinan+ with the Fabspeed sport cat?
3. If I were to go from the Dinan+ tune to something more (IE stage4), am I interpreting right that I would have a credit for the tune associated with the stage4?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 09:54 AM   #106
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deosaa9 View Post
Hey Dinan_Engineering

A couple of quick questions for the M2 LCI I just bought:

1. Does the 93 octane dinan+ honor factory extended warranty as well? What about the Zurich extended warranty? The warranty on my LCI expires this Fall
2. Any concerns about the compatibility of 93 octane Dinan+ with the Fabspeed sport cat?
3. If I were to go from the Dinan+ tune to something more (IE stage4), am I interpreting right that I would have a credit for the tune associated with the stage4?
1. No. Dinan only matches the factory new car warranty (first 4yr/50k). Extended warranties / CPO warranties / etc. are a completely different animal.
2. No issues with compatibility but please be aware that running a non OEM Cat with Dinan+ could jeopordize coverage given the tune is technically being run "out of spec" (Dinan/OEM modifications only).
3. With Dinan+ you can switch over to Stage 1 at any time and there would be no cost from Dinan although the dealer may charge labor to perform the update. Once you go to Stage 1 however there is no going back to Dinan+. As far as a cost to upgrade to stage 2 from there it would be the cost difference between the 2 stages which is $50 currently.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:26 PM   #107
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
The Stage 2 Flash? HERE.
Good to hear. The last estimate I had heard was around Thanksgiving of 2020.

But in any event, is it still the case that actual performance with this flash is basically the same as performance with the piggy/IC set up we started with, all else being equal?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:36 PM   #108
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Good to hear. The last estimate I had heard was around Thanksgiving of 2020.

But in any event, is it still the case that actual performance with this flash is basically the same as performance with the piggy/IC set up we started with, all else being equal?
If you are just comparing peak numbers then yes they are basically the same considering the limitation in both cases is still the fuel system. The flash will give you a bit more juice in the lower RPM's and has the other inherent advantages such the top speed governor defeat, more control in general for smoother power delivery, enhanced safety mechanisms, and sport gauges rescaled to reflect correct output to name a few.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50
      08-10-2021, 01:42 PM   #109
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
If you are just comparing peak numbers then yes they are basically the same considering the limitation in both cases is still the fuel system. The flash will give you a bit more juice in the lower RPM's and has the other inherent advantages such the top speed governor defeat, more control in general for smoother power delivery, enhanced safety mechanisms, and sport gauges rescaled to reflect correct output to name a few.
Hmm. Ok, that's better than I thought. 500 bucks might be worth that...when you buy the flash, do you specify the octane level?

Only downside I can see is that if you like to update your ISTEP regularly, the piggy makes that a one-step process, instead of an update and a reflash....
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #110
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceM View Post
Hmm. Ok, that's better than I thought. 500 bucks might be worth that...when you buy the flash, do you specify the octane level?

Only downside I can see is that if you like to update your ISTEP regularly, the piggy makes that a one-step process, instead of an update and a reflash....
You already had the Stage 4 ELITE DINANTRONICS, no? If you did it would just be a trade in and would not incur any cost from Dinan.

When flashed you will specify which octane mapping you want to flash but you have access to all of them-- just a matter of reflashing to whatever mapping you want at any given time.
Appreciate 1
BruceM984.50