BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Track Forum General Chit Chat

09-21-2023, 02:03 PM   #1101
azacad
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by c0riolis View Post
I called them to ask if they were servicing those and they basically told me "go ask your BMW dealership".
Well we are calling them today. Actually the dealership installed the suspension you know “to keep warranty happy” but I am weary that if I show up with the blown shock they might just say NO WAY or come up with something else.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 05:35 PM   #1102
azacad
Rep

Update. I can order the (single) M Performance shock through BMW. Is around $1K and takes about 1 mo to arrive.

Thanks everyone.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 06:28 PM   #1103
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by azacad View Post
Update. I can order the (single) M Performance shock through BMW. Is around $1K and takes about 1 mo to arrive.

Thanks everyone.
Check a few of the online BMW parts places. They usually have significantly better prices than local dealerships if they can order the part. They are actually all bmw dealerships.

bmwpartswarehouse

bmwpartsworldwide

bmwpartssouthatlanta

Man, 1k for the 1 damper is ouch. The whole suspension can be had for $2200.

Last edited by medphysdave; 09-21-2023 at 06:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 07:23 PM   #1104
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

azacad we have some takeoff oem dampers if you need something to get you by while you find a replacement. Harris Hill is pretty rough - I won’t push hard out there anymore. Was so nice after they repaved couple of years ago but that crappy ground just plays hell on the track surface. Dampers with separate high speed adjustment really help out there. Even with them I’ll still ease up through the rough stretches more often than not.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 07:34 PM   #1105
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Friends don’t let friends pay $1000 for a single M Performance damper Lol
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 07:36 PM   #1106
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
Friends don’t let friends pay $1000 for a single M Performance damper Lol
Yeah no kidding - that’s pretty brutal
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2023, 11:09 PM   #1107
c0riolis
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 DCT

Use this as an excuse to upgrade to a set that is serviceable?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 11:16 AM   #1108
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Tell the wife it’s a safety issue
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 12:47 PM   #1109
azacad
Rep

Man, 1k for the 1 damper is ouch. The whole suspension can be had for $2200.[/QUOTE]

My though exactly…

Is $985 actually the cost to my shop from BMW so retail at the dealer must be even higher. Getting a whole new one the problem is the higher installation and set up re-do cost. I think they know it that’s why they can charge so much for a single.

I have changed my line dramatically around the bumps at several places at H2R rather than find a bump friendly suspension set up… and still I was sorta expecting this was gonna happen.

Last edited by azacad; 09-22-2023 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2023, 03:15 PM   #1110
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by azacad View Post
Man, 1k for the 1 damper is ouch. The whole suspension can be had for $2200.
My though exactly…

Is $985 actually the cost to my shop from BMW so retail at the dealer must be even higher. Getting a whole new one the problem is the higher installation and set up re-do cost. I think they know it that’s why they can charge so much for a single.

I have changed my line dramatically around the bumps at several places at H2R rather than find a bump friendly suspension set up… and still I was sorta expecting this was gonna happen.[/QUOTE]
Does 985 include the installation. If it does, then that isn't that bad in my opinion. Labor always costs $$$
      09-23-2023, 09:31 AM   #1111
azacad
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My though exactly…

I have changed my line dramatically around the bumps at several places at H2R rather than find a bump friendly suspension set up… and still I was sorta expecting this was gonna happen.
Does 985 include the installation. If it does, then that isn't that bad in my opinion. Labor always costs $$$[/QUOTE]

No the $985 is what BMW charges the shop for the part. I figure most shops also add a charge on top of the $985? It does not include labor. The shock is ordered with the VIN# and is position specific not just “any” shock So it takes time to source. I will see how much is out the door but all other options end up being more expensive. I had time to meditate last night and in that sense then yes considering the problem and the alternatives is not that “bad”.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 10:16 AM   #1112
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Need some input from folks smarter than me:

I’m running TCK singles up front and doubles in the rear with the 300/600 spring rate combo. I run Barber exclusively, which has a lot of elevation change.

In two high G right hand corners where the track compresses the car with elevation change I’m bottoming out the shocks despite being only 5-10mm below stock ride height. Its annoying, but doesn’t seem to be impacting lap times or unsettling the car too much.

Some say live with it, others say address it. The car is a dual duty tool that takes me to the office 4d a week.

Are 400/700 springs the solution here? CSR swaybars? Is it time to sell a kidney for MCS 2WR?

Oddly an instructor in a M2C (I’m in an OG) runs MP KW and despite those rates being the same or slightly lower he’s not having this same issue while being a second quicker than I am.

Help me BimmerPost you’re my only hope.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 10:34 AM   #1113
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Is your M2 tuned? If not, the added power of the C in experienced hands could easily account for the 1s. Shaike at fatcat motorsports has always been a go to for bumpstops. He could have some suggestions for shorter bumpstops and different compound. I'm sure he can set you in the right direction on spring rates too. OGshark has great feedback on his 1 way Nitron R1 setup. He'd be top of my list because I like that he's tuning suspension on the M2 platform. My . 2 cents. We should all be so like to have Barber as our exclusive track. I'll be reaching out to you one day for a trip down.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      09-24-2023, 11:00 AM   #1114
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks for the input. Happy to extend some southern hospitality when you’re ready to come.

The M2C is modified as well but stock power. Rubber, weight reduction, suspension and APs. Mine is BM3 S291 and he’s got the legs on me, but just bareeeely. Pure500 and ethanol should address that though.

He’s an instructor that competes in time attack with years more experience so I’m not sour about the 1s delta. He towed my dumb ass to a new PB so it’s all good

What does bother me is that despite generating the same or more lateral G he’s not having the issue on the MPerf KWs…
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 11:02 AM   #1115
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Got to be a difference in the valving? Maybe his are compressing more slowly on the initial high speed hit of compression in the corner?
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 11:30 AM   #1116
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the input. Happy to extend some southern hospitality when you’re ready to come.

The M2C is modified as well but stock power. Rubber, weight reduction, suspension and APs. Mine is BM3 S291 and he’s got the legs on me, but just bareeeely. Pure500 and ethanol should address that though.

He’s an instructor that competes in time attack with years more experience so I’m not sour about the 1s delta. He towed my dumb ass to a new PB so it’s all good

What does bother me is that despite generating the same or more lateral G he’s not having the issue on the MPerf KWs…
I'm guessing it has to do with the dampers. BMW specs theirs pretty dialed up to help control the body roll running softer springs and that carries over to the mperf line. My impression of the TCK setups is that they run a comparatively softer dampening than oem - so combined with the same spring rates that might be why the are bottoming out in those specific situations. My TCK experience is limited though to one customer's car (a forum member on here) that wasn't very happy when he got one of their setups and wanted my opinion so we ran a few laps in his car. Not trying to say anything negative about them - lots of people really like them - just that it is what it is with their approach.

Your comment on moving to a 2-way setup - if the budget allows I think you might want to consider a 3 way. And I'm not saying that because Nitron doesn't offer a 2-way - but adding in high speed compression adjustment is really a huge benefit and really not that much harder to dial in at all. My impression of Barber is all sim and youtube vid driven so far - but it seems like there are some pretty aggressive curbs in spots and having the adjustability in the high speed bump can really go a long ways to improving he cars compliance in those situations. Also they ultimately offer a bit better ride quality. MCS is an excellent option - I'm obviously biased towards what we offer but if I didn't go with my Nitron kits then MCS would be the clear next choice for me.

Anonymoose and I will be at Barber this weekend. I'm not bringing an M2 this time but he will have Nemo out there running one of my Nitron kits. I think I know which corners you are talking about but can you please confirm and we will both be looking for that with his car. Absolutely stoked to drive out there - it looks awesome!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 11:33 AM   #1117
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I'm guessing it has to do with the dampers. BMW specs theirs pretty dialed up to help control the body roll running softer springs and that carries over to the mperf line. My impression of the TCK setups is that they run a comparatively softer dampening than oem - so combined with the same spring rates that might be why the are bottoming out in those specific situations. My TCK experience is limited though to one customer's car (a forum member on here) that wasn't very happy when he got one of their setups and wanted my opinion so we ran a few laps in his car. Not trying to say anything negative about them - lots of people really like them - just that it is what it is with their approach.

Your comment on moving to a 2-way setup - if the budget allows I think you might want to consider a 3 way. And I'm not saying that because Nitron doesn't offer a 2-way - but adding in high speed compression adjustment is really a huge benefit and really not that much harder to dial in at all. My impression of Barber is all sim and youtube vid driven so far - but it seems like there are some pretty aggressive curbs in spots and having the adjustability in the high speed bump can really go a long ways to improving he cars compliance in those situations. Also they ultimately offer a bit better ride quality. MCS is an excellent option - I'm obviously biased towards what we offer but if I didn't go with my Nitron kits then MCS would be the clear next choice for me.

Anonymoose and I will be at Barber this weekend. I'm not bringing an M2 this time but [...]
Nemo also has a passenger seat ThreeStripes so bring your helmet (if not I have a spare) if you want to feel the difference in my car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 11:37 AM   #1118
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll be eagerly awaiting how the car handles going over the curb in the museum turn and hooking up at the bottom. I have a feeling I need to be replacing my carbon front lip with the CSR lip before going to Barber.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 11:41 AM   #1119
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep

Can’t wait to meet y’all both. I’ll see if I can work up a special lunch for y’all one day and will have my helmet.

It’s the exit of T3 before you go up hill and the entry to T13 on the back side of the tunnel. Curbing loooks aggressive here but you can clobber the shit out of everything but T1.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 12:04 PM   #1120
OG Shark
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'll be eagerly awaiting how the car handles going over the curb in the museum turn and hooking up at the bottom. I have a feeling I need to be replacing my carbon front lip with the CSR lip before going to Barber.
Which turn number is Museum?

Quote:
Can’t wait to meet y’all both. I’ll see if I can work up a special lunch for y’all one day and will have my helmet.

It’s the exit of T3 before you go up hill and the entry to T13 on the back side of the tunnel. Curbing loooks aggressive here but you can clobber the shit out of everything but T1.
Ok that is what I figured. You do feel the car recovers at the crest of the hills? Doesn't unload too much? Not sure if I'm bringing one with a passenger seat yet but if I do also welcome to ride along anytime. Always great to have someone familiar with the track in the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 12:05 PM   #1121
Anonymoose
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

Quote:
Ok that is what I figured. You do feel the car recovers at the crest of the hills? Doesn't unload too much? Not sure if I'm bringing one with a passenger seat yet but if I do also welcome to ride along anytime. Always great to have someone familiar with the track in the car.
Take him out in mine. After he feels my suspension he’s gonna want a set of nitrons
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2023, 12:15 PM   #1122
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
7a/7b in this image. Not sure what it's called now. It was over by the auto museum so that's what it was called years ago.
Attached Images