BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Weird Sludge in the Chargepipe?

01-10-2023, 09:29 PM   #1
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Weird Sludge in the Chargepipe?

Was finally swapping out my chargepipe and intercooler today; got the pipe out and found this weird looking brown sludge in the chargepipe on the throttle body side... also found a good amount of moisture in the intercooler... the turbo to intercooler pipe seemed clean though; how bad is this and how fucked am I lol?
Attached Images

01-10-2023, 09:59 PM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
Was finally swapping out my chargepipe and intercooler today; got the pipe out and found this weird looking brown sludge in the chargepipe on the throttle body side... also found a good amount of moisture in the intercooler... the turbo to intercooler pipe seemed clean though; how bad is this and how fucked am I lol?
The sludge could be bmw's O-ring grease which is a very heavy silicone style grease, and it is brown because it is contaminated with oil and/or debris. However it could also be blow by, or something else. It is hard to tell by photos and without feel/smell.

However, that is alot of white spots and splattering in the charge pipe, so it is kind of concerning. The large amount of moisture is also concerning to me.

I have some questions for you to help diagnose this:

1) Are you running an aftermarket intake?

2) What does the inside of the turbo inlet look like? If there is alot of stuff there too, that could mean your pcv vapors are excessive.

3) Does your car burn alot of oil?

4) Can you wipe the liquid onto a white paper towel? It is hard to tell its true color on your skin.

Also you should get MAF cleaner to clean up your TMAP sensor, that stuff probably isn't good for it.
      01-11-2023, 01:34 PM   #3
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
The sludge could be bmw's O-ring grease which is a very heavy silicone style grease, and it is brown because it is contaminated with oil and/or debris. However it could also be blow by, or something else. It is hard to tell by photos and without feel/smell.

However, that is alot of white spots and splattering in the charge pipe, so it is kind of concerning. The large amount of moisture is also concerning to me.

2) What does the inside of the turbo inlet look like? If there is alot of stuff there too, that could mean your pcv vapors are excessive.

4) Can you wipe the liquid onto a white paper towel? It is hard to tell its true color on your skin.

Also you should get MAF cleaner to clean up your TMAP sensor, that stuff probably isn't good for it.
1. Stock intake and stock turbo
2. the turbo inlet looks to be clean - i'll take it off later to double check the turbo too.
3. car has never burned any oil as far as I'm aware
4. Will do that later!
      01-11-2023, 11:36 PM   #4
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:

Just checked again and the turbo inlet does indeed have a bit of oil in it - my buddy who's a bmw tech said that this amount of oil was normal for a tuned N55... Now I'm just wondering what to do about the fact that it looks like there was moisture (water) in the chargepipe. It's supposed to be sealed from outside water isn't it? I mean I did just drive the car in the rain but I wasn't expecting to find any water in there...
      01-12-2023, 12:28 AM   #5
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Just checked again and the turbo inlet does indeed have a bit of oil in it - my buddy who's a bmw tech said that this amount of oil was normal for a tuned N55... Now I'm just wondering what to do about the fact that it looks like there was moisture (water) in the chargepipe. It's supposed to be sealed from outside water isn't it? I mean I did just drive the car in the rain but I wasn't expecting to find any water in there...
Yeah it's normal for there to be some oil (which explains the brown sludge), but in your case it looks like there's alot of blow by or moisture entering the charge pipes.

Yeah it's supposed to be fully sealed from the outside, so if you don't have a boost leak your o-rings are good.

It could be that your engine is making a lot of moisture or condensation in the crank case, but that's an excessive amount if you found that much moisture in there. I'm not sure where it could come from tbh.

How's your coolant levels? Are they stable? How does the turbo's compressor wheel look?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 12:17 PM   #6
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Yeah it's normal for there to be some oil (which explains the brown sludge), but in your case it looks like there's alot of blow by or moisture entering the charge pipes.

Yeah it's supposed to be fully sealed from the outside, so if you don't have a boost leak your o-rings are good.

It could be that your engine is making a lot of moisture or condensation in the crank case, but that's an excessive amount if you found that much moisture in there. I'm not sure where it could come from tbh.

How's your coolant levels? Are they stable? How does the turbo's compressor wheel look?
The coolant is slightly overfilled at the moment but stable (thanks dealership) and the turbo looks good to me... I think I'll just monitor this and check over it every now and then. Anyone know what OCC to get for the f87?
      01-12-2023, 01:13 PM   #7
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
The coolant is slightly overfilled at the moment but stable (thanks dealership) and the turbo looks good to me... I think I'll just monitor this and check over it every now and then. Anyone know what OCC to get for the f87?
Yeah, it's probably condensation and blow by, but it's strange that the moisture still remains in your intercooler - seeing that it does get pretty hot and sees alot of air flow. Are you sure that's water and not just oil?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2023, 01:16 PM   #8
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Yeah, it's probably condensation and blow by, but it's strange that the moisture still remains in your intercooler - seeing that it does get pretty hot and sees alot of air flow. Are you sure that's water and not just oil?
I'm thinking it was water because I had just driven the car in heavy SoCal rain before taking it all apart...
      01-17-2023, 10:50 AM   #9
Info@mad-us.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: bmw

Looks like oil mixed with water to me.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 01:25 PM   #10
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Determined that it was just blowby! Car is doing just fine lol
      01-19-2023, 01:33 PM   #11
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Determined that it was just blowby! Car is doing just fine lol
Great to hear!

But that's alot of blow by.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2023, 04:01 PM   #12
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Great to hear!

But that's alot of blow by.
Talked to a BMW master tech buddy of mine and he assured me it’s normal on tuned cars (he has a lot of experience with tuned N55s)
      01-19-2023, 04:30 PM   #13
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Talked to a BMW master tech buddy of mine and he assured me it’s normal on tuned cars (he has a lot of experience with tuned N55s)
Yes blow by is a common thing that occurs on these cars, but your scenario has blow by going through the intercooler and to the cold side pipes and onto the tmap as well.

That is ALOT of blow by.

I would personally consider getting an OCC at that point, because you will lose intercooler performance if there is alot of oil in there. Blow by also can cause knock as the oily vapors lower octane.
      01-21-2023, 03:32 AM   #14
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Yes blow by is a common thing that occurs on these cars, but your scenario has blow by going through the intercooler and to the cold side pipes and onto the tmap as well.

That is ALOT of blow by.

I would personally consider getting an OCC at that point, because you will lose intercooler performance if there is alot of oil in there. Blow by also can cause knock as the oily vapors lower octane.
Definitely getting an OCC lol - thanks for the help bro!
      01-21-2023, 04:54 AM   #15
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Definitely getting an OCC lol - thanks for the help bro!
You got it!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 04:25 PM   #16
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

This is completely normal. My 2016 M235 that I've owned since new had this exact look inside and oily residue inside the OEM charge pipe when I upgraded the pipe years ago. At the time, the car wasn't tuned. My FTP charge pipe and stock intercooler had some oily residue in them when I had them off two years ago for an IC upgrade and that was after two years of running Stage 2. My M235 runs very strong, doesn't burn any oil, smoke, lose coolant, etc.
      01-31-2023, 06:14 PM   #17
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
This is completely normal. My 2016 M235 that I've owned since new had this exact look inside and oily residue inside the OEM charge pipe when I upgraded the pipe years ago. At the time, the car wasn't tuned. My FTP charge pipe and stock intercooler had some oily residue in them when I had them off two years ago for an IC upgrade and that was after two years of running Stage 2. My M235 runs very strong, doesn't burn any oil, smoke, lose coolant, etc.
Blow by is indeed an occurrence on these cars, but this level is excessive and should probably be delt with an oil catch can. Otherwise sensors are going to get gummed up, the intercooler will become a lot less effective with oil coating it, intake valves will accumulate carbon, and octane values will be negatively affected.

My m235i had minimal blow by (some oil in the pipes but not to the level where it coated the pipes and even made it through the intercooler to the cold side). My m2 upon last checking 3 years ago is bone dry, you can wipe a piece of tissue paper and not pick up a single drop of oil.

In terms of sludge the op was reporting, I thought he meant near the flange, which typically could be BMWs silicone grease. Bmw generally applies alot of that to the o-rings (the throttle body side has a lot of this, and even the oil filter housing).