BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > What did you do to your M2C today?

07-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #4555
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
Installed Zunsport grills for extra radiator protection.
Thanks for this.. I think this actually looks pretty good. I may just splurge
      07-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #4556
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Quote:
PM me for a 15% discount code if you decide to go ahead.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 1
SebsM2652.00
      07-25-2021, 01:22 PM   #4557
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkonblk View Post
Quote:
Perfect, now I see how it will look on my LBB. I ordered both center and side grilles about a week ago, how long to arrive? easy to install?
I love the Zunsport front grill setup, really not too bad to install. Watch this vid for tips, helped me a lot

07-25-2021, 01:29 PM   #4558
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Speaking of the protective grill, does anyone else make a protective mesh for the kidney grill?

I swear, prior to the Zunsport on the lower part, I was 'ingesting' all bunch of crap: bugs galore, locusts, leaves, twigs, even a little frog if I recall- so HIGHLY recommend the Zunsport, just that I want to also protect the kidney section as well. I get the functionality aspect: more air, better cooling, but not a fan of possibility of puncturing the radiators or the intercooler.

PS the shipping was ZUPER fast; placed an order on a Friday, arrived in Texas the next Tuesday/Wednesday. Impressive given that it's coming from Great Britain…
      07-25-2021, 01:32 PM   #4559
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
It's not a splurge IMO, it's a necessity to protect the radiators and IC; well worth the admission price. The added benefit is the bonnet also looks meaner, gives it a more uniform appearance
      07-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #4560
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It's not a splurge IMO, it's a necessity to protect the radiators and IC; well worth the admission price. The added benefit is the bonnet also looks meaner, gives it a more uniform appearance
I think it's a bit pricey for what it is and why I want it (mostly interested in appearance) but I understand your point. Do you think it's a necessity if you don't track?
      07-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #4561
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I think it's a bit pricey for what it is and why I want it (mostly interested in appearance) but I understand your point. Do you think it's a necessity if you don't track?
Seeing a frog inside (how in the world???), digging out some long tongs/pliers to scoop it out, well that sealed it. A small price to pay for extra piece of mind.

I don't track either, yet still selected to buy them.
      07-25-2021, 02:35 PM   #4562
(K)
Captain
Rep
Drives: '21 M2C 6MT (R.I.P.)

I believe the CS Racing offers a mesh screen for the kidney grill. Albeit it sits behind the grill so you'd likely have have to remove the bumper cover.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:20 PM   #4563
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Quote:
You'll definitely appreciate if for the bug-catching value, even if you don't track. And they look fantastic, well worth the cost.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2021, 05:44 PM   #4564
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Lowered the rears a bit to get the height dialed and added the AutomotivePassion CF mud flaps. Took the opportunity as a little photo op

Last edited by rcouchh; 07-25-2021 at 06:09 PM..
Appreciate 6
s4cars140.00
redgs4320.00
JV973304.00
      07-25-2021, 10:42 PM   #4565
GarageMadness
MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
Lowered the rears a bit to get the height dialed and added the AutomotivePassion CF mud flaps. Took the opportunity as a little photo op

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...8dbd7b5c_h.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f0136be4_h.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...dfe15d10_h.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...f5326721_h.jpg[/img]
[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...01ccce19_h.jpg[/img]
Titan wheels? Car looks bad ass for sure.
      07-25-2021, 10:52 PM   #4566
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by (K) View Post
I believe the CS Racing offers a mesh screen for the kidney grill. Albeit it sits behind the grill so you'd likely have have to remove the bumper cover.
Thanks for that! Do you per chance have a link? Dr Google gives me motorcycle racing stuff…
      07-25-2021, 11:20 PM   #4567
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Quote:
Thanks for that! Do you per chance have a link? Dr Google gives me motorcycle racing stuff…
I think..... *think*..... that I remember reading that particular grill had to be drilled to the rear of the bumper to be mounted, and that it was basically just two pieces of mesh. I may well be wrong, but it's worth researching before ponying up for it.
(K)1278.00
      07-26-2021, 03:14 AM   #4568
(K)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
I think..... *think*..... that I remember reading that particular grill had to be drilled to the rear of the bumper to be mounted, and that it was basically just two pieces of mesh. I may well be wrong, but it's worth researching before ponying up for it.
When I was looking into the kidney mesh I believe it was the lower grills that needed to be drilled. The kidney mesh is held together with zip ties from what I vaguely recall.

I say "vaguely" because after seeing Stefan's (BMW DIY Guy) order come in I pretty much gave up on the OEM CSRacing part (see Stefan's post below)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=68

The OEM part appears...lacking...to say the least. You could probably make a more robust screen using chicken wire and for less than what the OEM parts cost.

For reference the p/n is 51118323994 and item #5 in the diagram on the below link; you'll need two plus the zip tie(s) (#12).

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/a/BMW...t/51_Z156.html
Appreciate 1
      07-26-2021, 10:37 AM   #4569
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Danke mein Herr!

Honestly, I'm kind of surprised that no aftermarket vendor came up with a kidney grill set that has the wire mesh welded at the back. All we would need to do is pop out the OEM kidney grills and insert the new ones in. All this drilling, removing, zip-tie this, wire up that...sounds like unnecessary effort.
      07-26-2021, 10:45 AM   #4570
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I was looking into the kidney mesh I believe it was the lower grills that needed to be drilled. The kidney mesh is held together with zip ties from what I vaguely recall.

I say "vaguely" because after seeing Stefan's (BMW DIY Guy) order come in I pretty much gave up on the OEM CSRacing part (see Stefan's post below)

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...9&postcount=68

The OEM part appears...lacking...to say the least. You could probably make a more robust screen using chicken wire and for less than what the OEM parts cost.

For reference the p/n is 51118323994 and item #5 in the diagram on the below link; you'll need two plus the zip tie(s) (#12).

https://parts.bmwnorthwest.com/a/BMW...t/51_Z156.html
Geez, looks a little steep: used the link you provided, I added them to the cart.

P.S. I presume one would need 4 zip-ties? Certainly they don't look like the garden variety zip-tie, much more robust, and wouldn't want the mesh to fly off during 'spirited driving'.
Attached Images

07-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #4571
(K)
Captain
Rep

My experience with zip ties leads me to believe that no amount of spirited driving will break those loose. If something is going to knock the mesh out, it will likely take the kidney grill out first.

I would recommend against the parts but let us know either way if you move forward with the purchase. Just a reminder on what you're paying close to $100 usd for:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:22 PM   #4572
blkonblk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Quote:
I ordered mine without their logo on it so delivery time might have been inflated. Still it arrived in 9 days. Not bad at all. Installation of the center grill is easy and straight forward. The side grills are a bit more fiddly to install if you do it by yourself. You must apply pressure on the grill while screwing in the screw and at the same time prevent the clip from spinning. It's not hard, but a third hand would make this much easier. I ended up using two screwdrivers. One to prevent the clip from spinning the other to screw in the screw. I applied pressure with the back of my hand that was holding one of the screwdrivers. Took maybe 10 minutes to get both sides secured.
Quote:
I love the Zunsport front grill setup, really not too bad to install. Watch this vid for tips, helped me a lot

Thank you marcw and No_curebimmer for your tips, your posts couldn't have come at a better time.

Ordered the grilles through Amazon 5 days ago, just received from Zunsport this morning. Logo came in separately which you can attach to center grille if you desire. Zunsport offers a 15% discount to friends, pm me if you decide to purchase.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:32 PM   #4573
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you marcw and No_curebimmer for your tips, your posts couldn't have come at a better time.

Ordered the grilles through Amazon 5 days ago, just received from Zunsport this morning. Logo came in separately which you can attach to center grille if you desire. Zunsport offers a 15% discount to friends, pm me if you decide to purchase.
That's very interesting. The logo used to be welded on and it wasn't possible to remove. Looks like they have changed their design so the grills come with logo and the customer can decide to put it on or not.

Retired: 2016 328i xDrive SportsWagon, 2010 Z4 sDrive 35i, 2006 530 xiT, 1999 323i
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #4574
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
My experience with zip ties leads me to believe that no amount of spirited driving will break those loose. If something is going to knock the mesh out, it will likely take the kidney grill out first.

I would recommend against the parts but let us know either way if you move forward with the purchase. Just a reminder on what you're paying close to $100 usd for:
You have a point...100 pesos for some chicken coop wire.

What is everyone else doing about this? Leave the massive gaps and potentially ask for a damaging rock to hit your IC? I mean, my daughter can almost fit her whole hand through the gaping slats...
      07-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #4575
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I ordered mine without their logo on it so delivery time might have been inflated. Still it arrived in 9 days. Not bad at all. Installation of the center grill is easy and straight forward. The side grills are a bit more fiddly to install if you do it by yourself. You must apply pressure on the grill while screwing in the screw and at the same time prevent the clip from spinning. It's not hard, but a third hand would make this much easier. I ended up using two screwdrivers. One to prevent the clip from spinning the other to screw in the screw. I applied pressure with the back of my hand that was holding one of the screwdrivers. Took maybe 10 minutes to get both sides secured.
Quote:

No worries mate - Zunsport grille set are worth it. Glad I was able to pass on the information (not my video)

I actually emailed them asking if they have a solution for the kidney grilles…they said nope, so no dice!

Back to drawing board as I don't feel like purchasing raw materials & making a template. It's too freaking hot in TX now to be outside to rig anything (107+ hot enough??? )
      07-26-2021, 12:58 PM   #4576
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
Titan wheels? Car looks bad ass for sure.
Thanks, yes TS-5
Appreciate 0