BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > N55 Extreme Engine Cooling

03-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #243
TargaM2
M///modifyer
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
2015 Renault RS275R  [9.50]
2019 Renault RS280  [10.00]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
2018 Audi Q2  [5.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TargaM2 View Post
Hey Gents, no data on the AFE scoop but for what it costs & the simple install its certainly worth a try imo.
As for the GTS vented bonnet i am certain it helps with cooling, the amount of heat you feel coming from the vent is proof its more than cosmetic.
I grabbed a scoop b/c I figure WTH, I'll give it a shot.

I'm getting more interested in the idea of the vented hood b/c they also look great. Thoughts on if the CS or GTS style would flow air better and let less water in?
The GTS hood vent opening is much more vertical in design & has no internal baffling as it's simply not needed. I get virtually no water ingress unless I high pressure wash the car & I still only get a few drops on the plastic inlet pipe which is no issue.
The CS hood is more purposeful in build & may extract hot air even better (though I'm only guessing), the vent on the CS is much more horizontal & thus is baffled & designed to divert the increased water ingress.
I personally went for the GTS hood as I'm trying to create my own version of what an M2 GTS might be (wheels, seats, cage, hood etc).
I wanted an aluminium hood as they are much more oem looking imo (underside has all the oem fittings & pressings), aluminium is also much easier to re-work than Carbon if required (thankfully this wasn't needed). The quality of the aftermarket Carbon hoods is also relatively poor from what I've seen requiring additional work before painting.
My aluminium hood required virtually no work apart from removing some excess sealant before paint, the fit & panel gaps etc are the same as the factory hood with very little adjustment needed (I do have a very good panel shop which is imperative imo).
ZM22810.50
      03-13-2021, 04:35 PM   #244
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

TargaM2

I have similar thoughts on aluminum vs carbon. Thanks for your input on the hood styles!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:08 AM   #245
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Looks like our man TargaM2 did this last month:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=7033

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...postcount=7035

Targa, notice any difference?
Finally got around to doing this. Reminded me of how much a b*tch those kidney grills are to get off.

The scoop def presses against the DCT cooler. I guess no one’s worried about this bc the most temp the cooler will see might be 225-250F?

Speaking of DCT & temps, my mechanic recommended replacing the OEM fluid with Redline. He said it’s solved some hot PDK issues in some Porsche’s he’s worked on.

Any input from you guys? Thx.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2021, 11:28 AM   #246
tenkies
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT

Quote:
Finally got around to doing this. Reminded me of how much a b*tch those kidney grills are to get off.

The scoop def presses against the DCT cooler. I guess no one’s worried about this bc the most temp the cooler will see might be 225-250F?

Speaking of DCT & temps, my mechanic recommended replacing the OEM fluid with Redline. He said it’s solved some hot PDK issues in some Porsche’s he’s worked on.

Any input from you guys? Thx.
I just installed that scoop last weekend. I found that driving the car around till it warms up and also leaving the car in the sun for a bit made the front bumper malleable enough where I could stick my hand in from behind and push down the tabs to get the grill out. I couldn't get the push clip to work on the scoop but I doubt it needs it to hold it in place.
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      04-20-2021, 11:35 AM   #247
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenkies View Post
I just installed that scoop last weekend. I found that driving the car around till it warms up and also leaving the car in the sun for a bit made the front bumper malleable enough where I could stick my hand in from behind and push down the tabs to get the grill out. I couldn't get the push clip to work on the scoop but I doubt it needs it to hold it in place.
Sweating from a warm/hot bumper & coolers definitely beats my torn up arm trying to squeeze behind the bumper! I'll remember that for next time!

Yeah, I just wrapped the OEM rubber gasket around the edge of the aFe scoop hole, and then put the OEM plastic grill piece back--seems like it'll hold fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 06:08 AM   #248
Mhuber
Austria
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS/ M2 F87

Hey.
Anyone ever tried to wrap (insulate) the coolant delivery line? My shop brought this up as we recently discussed about the differences N55+ to S55;
The main coolant line to the block on the N55 runs very unfavorable close alongside turbo and downpipe (probably the hottest area in the engine bay - maybe for quicker warm-up?)

[img]https://i.ibb.co/mC8fxHD/Main-hose-coolant-inlet.jpg[/img]

This might be not an issue on stock cars, but they definitely recommend to insulate this line on tuned cars.
Anyway, BMW moved this line on the S55 to the front of the block.
Could be a quick (and cheap) win for those fighting high engine temps...
Appreciate 1
ZM22810.50
      08-09-2021, 01:26 PM   #249
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhuber View Post
Hey.
Anyone ever tried to wrap (insulate) the coolant delivery line? My shop brought this up as we recently discussed about the differences N55+ to S55;
The main coolant line to the block on the N55 runs very unfavorable close alongside turbo and downpipe (probably the hottest area in the engine bay - maybe for quicker warm-up?)

[img]https://i.ibb.co/mC8fxHD/Main-hose-coolant-inlet.jpg[/img]

This might be not an issue on stock cars, but they definitely recommend to insulate this line on tuned cars.
Anyway, BMW moved this line on the S55 to the front of the block.
Could be a quick (and cheap) win for those fighting high engine temps...
Yes this is a really good idea. Wrapping that line and gettijg a turbo blanket would be really ideal.
ZM22810.50
      08-09-2021, 02:29 PM   #250
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

Mhuber F87source

Any suggestions for the wrap materials or kits for the coolant line and turbo blanket?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #251
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Mhuber F87source

Any suggestions for the wrap materials or kits for the coolant line and turbo blanket?
Yeah I'll link you what I have in mind for the coolant lines, I was going to use it on my oil catch can hoses.

For turbo blanket I was talking to some guys about a b58 blanket and modifying the waste gate section by cutting it larger. but fitment might not be good so a better idea is removing the entire turbo exhaust side and having someone ceramic coat it with heat rejecting ceramic coating, this stuff is super effective and should help keep the heat inside. This might actually yield some meaningful gains on coolant temps.
      08-09-2021, 03:02 PM   #252
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Does any one know if that's the return line to the pump or is that the feed line from the pump to the block?

If it's the return line I don't think it's worth it.
If it's the feed line I think it may absolutely be worth it. And I just had it off when I did my turbo lol
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2021, 03:10 PM   #253
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Mhuber F87source

I was going to use something like this for my oil catch can hoses: https://www.designengineering.com/he...ving-0-5-x-36/

If you can find anything with a larger inner diameter to fit the coant hose that would work best.
      08-10-2021, 03:00 AM   #254
Mhuber
Austria
Rep

Quote:
Mhuber F87source

I also haven't seen a turbo blanket for the N55 yet. But probably no big deal to have one made for the N55?

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
I was going to use something like this for my oil catch can hoses: https://www.designengineering.com/he...ving-0-5-x-36/

If you can find anything with a larger inner diameter to fit the coant hose that would work best.
I'm not sure if 260°C (500°F) is enough.
AFAIK my shop uses this (I'm not sure if it's exactly this one):
https://www.techflex.org/en/fire-pro...ca-sleeve.html

This one is flexible and withstands 980°C (1800°F) long term.
I think the 25.4mm variant should fit.
The coolant line has a diameter of 32 mm. The compressed areas have a max width of 42 mm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWC-F87 View Post
Does any one know if that's the return line to the pump or is that the feed line from the pump to the block?

If it's the return line I don't think it's worth it.
If it's the feed line I think it may absolutely be worth it. And I just had it off when I did my turbo lol
Its the main feed line from the pump to the block. But I think when the cooling system reaches its limit it doesn't really matter where the heat is applied...

Last edited by Mhuber; 08-10-2021 at 04:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 03:10 AM   #255
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I also haven't seen a turbo blanket for the N55 yet. But probably no big deal to have one made for the N55?

I'm not sure if 260°C (500°F) is enough.
AFAIK my shop uses this (I'm not sure if it's exactly this one):
https://www.techflex.org/en/fire-pro...ca-sleeve.html

This one is flexible and withstands 980°C (1800°F) long term.
I think the 25.4mm variant should fit.
The coolant line has a diameter of 32 mm. The compressed areas have a max width of 42 mm.

Its the main feed line from the pump to the block. But I think when the cooling system reaches its limit it doesn't really matter where the heat is applied...

With the coolant pipe your main concern is reflection of thermals (infrared, passive heat in that area of the engine bay etc) due to the heat generated by the turbo not really thermal insulation because the pipe is not touching the turbo directly. So a super high temperature rating is not necessary due to the lack of direct contact to the turbo. Since air is a really good insulator despite the close proximity of the coolant pipe to the turbo it will never get to those super high temps (the air around the coolant pipe will be hot but not 260C hot or you'll get engine bay fires and it will likely not be as hot as the coolant inside of the pipe so insulation should not be a concern), so 260C will be more than enough (if your coolant pipe is exposed to higher than 260C temps the coolant inside would likely be so hot that you'd see engine limp mode issues from lack of cooling).

So essentially I was looking for a reflective wrap rather than an insulating wrap suitable for super high temps which DEI also sells if you needed it.

Also IIRC clearance is super tight so try not to get a wrap that is too bulky or it may touch and now you are introducing conduction into the equation. I would even think a reflective thermal tape would be a really good solution, because like I said I think the major issue is thermal radiation so reflecting would be the best solution. Adding a reflective wrap would probably be even better because of the added insulation but again I don't think the ambient temperatures there would be high enough to make insulation a huge factor - you could always measure temps there to make sure.
      08-10-2021, 03:15 AM   #256
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Oh yeah turbo blanket, I looked around awhile back and no one was willing to make one. One company that pure turbos worked with made one as a prototype but they were going to charge like $1k for it if you wanted a one off.
      08-10-2021, 04:07 AM   #257
Mhuber
Austria
Rep

Quote:
With the coolant pipe your main concern is reflection of thermals (infrared, passive heat in that area of the engine bay etc) due to the heat generated by the turbo not really thermal insulation because the pipe is not touching the turbo directly. So a super high temperature rating is not necessary due to the lack of direct contact to the turbo. Since air is a really good insulator despite the close proximity of the coolant pipe to the turbo it will never get to those super high temps (the air around the coolant pipe will be hot but not 260C hot or you'll get engine bay fires and it will likely not be as hot as the coolant inside of the pipe so insulation should not be a concern), so 260C will be more than enough (if your coolant pipe is exposed to higher than 260C temps the coolant inside would likely be so hot that you'd see engine limp mode issues from lack of cooling).

So essentially I was looking for a reflective wrap rather than an insulating wrap suitable for super high temps which DEI also sells if you needed it.

Also IIRC clearance is super tight so try not to get a wrap that is too bulky or it may touch and now you are introducing conduction into the equation. I would even think a reflective thermal tape would be a really good solution, because like I said I think the major issue is thermal radiation so reflecting would be the best solution. Adding a reflective wrap would probably be even better because of the added insulation but again I don't think the ambient temperatures there would be high enough to make insulation a huge factor - you could always measure temps there to make sure.
I agree that protecting from radial heat is the most important here. But I havent found one with higher temp resistance. It's hard to tell how hot it really gets without actually measuring it. Assuming the exhaust side of the turbo reaches 600°C and the cooling line runs at a distance of lets say 50mm, then 260°C doesn't seem to be that much for me...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 04:29 AM   #258
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I agree that protecting from radial heat is the most important here. But I havent found one with higher temp resistance. It's hard to tell how hot it really gets without actually measuring it. Assuming the exhaust side of the turbo reaches 600°C and the cooling line runs at a distance of lets say 50mm, then 260°C doesn't seem to be that much for me...
The rubber would have degraded if it got to 260C, and the metal would start to show color shifts due to heat.

I honestly don't think it would get that hot, otherwise bmw would have put more shielding on the water hose.

If you ceramic coat the turbo exhaust side all these heat issues will be drastically reduced to the point where a turbo blanket might not even be needed. If you manage to get a turbo blanket on top of that then it would be icing on the cake and overall under hood temps would probably drop alot.
Mhuber6.00
      08-10-2021, 05:06 AM   #259
Mhuber
Austria
Rep

Quote:
The rubber would have degraded if it got to 260C, and the metal would start to show color shifts due to heat.

I honestly don't think it would get that hot, otherwise bmw would have put more shielding on the water hose.

If you ceramic coat the turbo exhaust side all these heat issues will be drastically reduced to the point where a turbo blanket might not even be needed. If you manage to get a turbo blanket on top of that then it would be icing on the cake and overall under hood temps would probably drop alot.
If we measure the surface temps on the pipe itself, we wont see these high figures due to the coolant flowing directly through it. But we want to keep the heat input into the coolant as low as possible. So the question is more like how hot would it get with proper insulation?

Yes, I´m sure ceramic coating the exhaust side and manifold would help alot. Any idea what costs we're talking about? Probably only makes sense if you want to upgrade the turbo anyway...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2021, 01:25 PM   #260
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
If we measure the surface temps on the pipe itself, we wont see these high figures due to the coolant flowing directly through it. But we want to keep the heat input into the coolant as low as possible. So the question is more like how hot would it get with proper insulation?

Yes, I´m sure ceramic coating the exhaust side and manifold would help alot. Any idea what costs we're talking about? Probably only makes sense if you want to upgrade the turbo anyway...
No, you'd measure a part near by to see the temp, like maybe a clamp.

It costs me about $100 locally to get heat rejection ceramic coating for a down pipe, it might cost $500 for the turbo exhaust side. So about the price of a turbo blanket. The only real concern is remov of the turbo and the costs involded in terms of bolts, coolant, oil, and time involved. If you're chasing every single degree it will be worth it.
      08-11-2021, 09:52 PM   #261
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep

I get where you guys are going with this, but if the objective it to remove heat from the cooling system in the engine bay I think a better alternative may be a vented hood vs reflective insulation and ceramic coatings.

I got no data on that tho.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 10:11 PM   #262
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I get where you guys are going with this, but if the objective it to remove heat from the cooling system in the engine bay I think a better alternative may be a vented hood vs reflective insulation and ceramic coatings.

I got no data on that tho.
A vented hood would be great, but the coolant going directly to the block would be heated up a bit by the hot turbo. So if every single degree counts you could likely save a degree or two with ceramic coating the turbo and covering the coolant inlet hose.

If you could get a turbo blanket that would make a huge impact on under hood temps.
      08-12-2021, 03:07 PM   #263
Habbe77
Rep
Drives: 330e, M2

Is there any gains in decreasing the backpressure and lower the egt with an aftermarket turbofold ?. Making the same boost on lower egt. Maybe some stage3 guys can chime in.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 08:08 PM   #264
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habbe77 View Post
Is there any gains in decreasing the backpressure and lower the egt with an aftermarket turbofold ?. Making the same boost on lower egt. Maybe some stage3 guys can chime in.
You'll get better cylinder temps resulting in lower coolant and oil temps.