BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Q re: Extended Warranty

06-17-2022, 11:47 AM   #1
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Hey gang…so, my '19 M2C factory warranty is due to expire in September. I have (gently) toyed with the thought of extending the warranty…the general consensus is that the S55 motor has been pretty solid and unless one is looking for that extra piece of mind, it isn't worth it.

However, I was curious if the warranty is only valid in USA? What if I were to locate to say, Canada, would it be applicable in the Great White North? How about western Europe?

Lastly- Would it be transferable should I sell it?

Cheers!
      06-17-2022, 12:18 PM   #2
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Not helpful to your question, but if you find a good deal on a factory extended warranty, please post. I've been toying with the idea as well, but BMW is quite pricey. On my Supra, I was able to find a dealership that dealt with volume and had rates over half off of what other dealerships had. Same with the C7 corvette, but no such luck with BMW.

I only have 2k miles on my M2C, but warranty up in September.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2022, 04:53 PM   #3
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post

However, I was curious if the warranty is only valid in USA? What if I were to locate to say, Canada, would it be applicable in the Great White North? How about western Europe?

Cheers!
I asked the question to my dealer when I bought the car initially about warranty repairs in Canada/outside the US and I was told that the warranty would only be honoured in the US. I would assume that this would also be applicable to the extended warranty.

Coming from the BMW corporate world, this also make sense, as the warranty programs between Canada and the US are different, so it would only make sense for the company to offer warranty repairs in the country that the vehicle was sold in. Kind of unfortunate for me especially since I travel to Canada every couple months
      06-17-2022, 06:50 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post
Not helpful to your question, but if you find a good deal on a factory extended warranty, please post. I've been toying with the idea as well, but BMW is quite pricey. On my Supra, I was able to find a dealership that dealt with volume and had rates over half off of what other dealerships had. Same with the C7 corvette, but no such luck with BMW.

Done some investigative research…you'd have till just before the odometer rolls 20k or BEFORE the OEM warranty expires to purchase it. Also, just found out…it is NOT TRANSFERABLE, unlike the factory warranty. So if you purchase it now, then end up selling the car, you're out 1,000's of gold coins.

Here is what I've seen pricing trend towards:

60 months/100k miles $4xxx

72 months/100k miles $5xxx

84 months/100k miles $6xxx

All this for the platinum warranty, which carries no deductible. So, for example, the 84 months/100k package will extend the manufacturer's warranty by 3 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Unfortunately, it is not an additional 7 years...

Hope this helps.
      06-17-2022, 07:00 PM   #5
H2O_Doc
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, GLB-250, C7 Z51

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O_Doc View Post

Done some investigative research…you'd have till just before the odometer rolls 20k or BEFORE the OEM warranty expires to purchase it. Also, just found out…it is NOT TRANSFERABLE, unlike the factory warranty. So if you purchase it now, then end up selling the car, you're out 1,000's of gold coins.

All this for the platinum warranty, which carries no deductible. So, for example, the 84 months/100k package will extend the manufacturer's warranty by 3 years or 100k miles, whichever comes first. Unfortunately, it is not an additional 7 years...

Hope this helps.
This is what I've been seeing as well. I wish I could just add time and not extended milage to my warranty at a reduced cost. Only 2k miles but only 3 months of warranty left. Alas, no such option and aftermarket warranties are amongst the worlds biggest scams.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
bbadillo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 09 Black 135i, JB+

So what to do. I’m also at 40k miles and nearing that 50.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 05:31 PM   #7
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:

Hope this helps.
At those prices I would self insure.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 12:30 AM   #8
Oliv
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition 6mt LBB

The F87+S55 platform is pretty reliable as far as BMW goes, as a road car non tuned I wouldn't bother with extended warranty (and if you track/tune it, well warranty will be rejected anyway )
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 08:29 AM   #9
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I recall an older post on this that went into huge detail about the available aftermarket options, so do a search (might have been in a tracking subforum, one Q was if they honor it for track cars). Some were very happy with one of them (IIRC it was from a big auto insurance comapny like GEICO?).
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2022, 11:04 AM   #10
m0g24
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: S2K to M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
I recall an older post on this that went into huge detail about the available aftermarket options, so do a search (might have been in a tracking subforum, one Q was if they honor it for track cars). Some were very happy with one of them (IIRC it was from a big auto insurance comapny like GEICO?).

Yup. Mechanical Breakdown Insurance (MBI) from GEICO. An absolute must. I've read many horror stories that MBI coverage rescued people from.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      06-21-2022, 12:16 PM   #11
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Yep I went with geico MBI. Mainly as an insurance policy against the crankhub. Price wasn't too bad and will easily recover the cost if the crankhub decides it no longer wants to be a crankhub.
Appreciate 2
Maynard3848.00
ROASTM163.50