BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Most common S55 / M2Comp issues

06-08-2022, 05:58 AM   #1
NCM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2020 M2Comp

Most common S55 / M2Comp issues

Hey all,

New owner of a 2020 M2 Comp with 20k miles on it.

I am still within warranty & wanted to know what the most common issues either:

A. on this platform
B. at this mileage

Obviously still being within warranty - i want to go to the dealer at the slightest inclination one of these issues may be starting to appear, either minimally or more obviously. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2022, 01:09 PM   #2
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Well, if you read this - or other forums covering the M2 - you should expect:
- the crankshaft pulley to spin the first time you downshift
- the engine management to have been coded or tuned such that the warranty is already Void
- the amplifier in the boot to be full of water (and therefore defunct) following the valeting the dealership gave the car prior to sale
- the front wheels to have been scored by stones trapped between the brake calliper and the wheel such that they are on the point of splitting in two
- the exhaust to have been cut up and then patched to 'make it sound better'
- the oil drain plugs on engine, transmission and differential to be cross-threaded through multiple changes between scheduled services by previous owners
- the oil/fluid to be something other than what BMW recommend as the people doing the changes above spoke to someone who said that there were better products available and they happened to have some going for less than BMWs (or the recommended manufacturers) price
- the instrument cluster to be extensively scratched by overzealous scrubbing with less than totally lint-free cleaning cloths by either obsessive previous owners or dealership valeting staff
- the rear springs to snap while the car is parked
and finally:
- some of the many cleaning products previously used on the car may have had an adverse effect on the surfaces they were being used on.

Welcome to M2 ownership and (one of the) online forums for owners - try not to worry and focus on enjoying the car as something to be driven.

Last edited by M Fifty; 06-09-2022 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 9
KPM2C139.50
RideM317.00
bentom2335.50
allinon724925.00
KevinM2935.50
      06-09-2022, 07:17 PM   #3
Saintjah
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post

- the instrument cluster to be extensively scratched by overzealous scrubbing with less than totally lint-free cleaning cloths by either obsessive

Welcome to M2 ownership and (one of the) online forums for owners - try not to worry and focus on enjoying the car as something to be driven.
You kidding... you can even look at the cluster wrong and it will get scratched.
Appreciate 1
PHX102160.50
      06-09-2022, 07:25 PM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

The oil opinions are based on comparing UOAs so I'd say the claims there is better oil out there than BMW branded oil is accurate depending on driving situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2022, 12:40 PM   #5
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

...which may not apply to the new owner.

But, this was intended as a light-hearted roundup of typical online M2 owner worry beads, rather than criticism.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2022, 11:01 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PackPride85 View Post
The oil opinions are based on comparing UOAs so I'd say the claims there is better oil out there than BMW branded oil is accurate depending on driving situation.
No not just UOA's, but the oil chemistry itself, aftermarket oils that you can find at walmart like PPE/QSE 5w40, castrol edge 0w40 and 0w30 are fantastic oil with incredible base stocks and additives that will blow away bmw's oil and other botique fancy oils. There is one exception though, BMW's old shell made LL01 TPT 5w30 was amazing oil to the point where you were on the level of aftermarket oil. Bmw's LL01FE oils absolutely suck imo, they're more optimized for fuel economy rather than protection.
      06-16-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
M Fifty
Banned
Rep

...still missing the point of the post.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Insane_Dawe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 White ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
- the crankshaft pulley to spin the first time you downshift
- the engine management to have been coded or tuned such that the warranty is already Void
- the amplifier in the boot to be full of water (and therefore defunct) following the valeting the dealership gave the car prior to sale
- the front wheels to have been scored by stones trapped between the brake calliper and the wheel such that they are on the point of splitting in two
- the exhaust to have been cut up and then patched to 'make it sound better'
- the oil drain plugs on engine, transmission and differential to be cross-threaded through multiple changes between scheduled services by previous owners
- the oil/fluid to be something other than what BMW recommend as the people doing the changes above spoke to someone who said that there were better products available and they happened to have some going for less than BMWs (or the recommended manufacturers) price
- the instrument cluster to be extensively scratched by overzealous scrubbing with less than totally lint-free cleaning cloths by either obsessive previous owners or dealership valeting staff
- the rear springs to snap while the car is parked
and finally:
- some of the many cleaning products previously used on the car may have had an adverse effect on the surfaces they were being used on.
That just about sums most of it up except he forgot the famous

-Left and Right rear turn signal spontaneously malfunction which has no solution. Often dealership will replace tail lights.

Not to discourage you from owning the car, I still very much enjoy mine and have grown to enjoy it as a daily driver. My gauge cluster was already scratched by previous owner but it doesn't bother me. I've had the HK amp replaced under warranty although I'm still concerned since I bought a MatchUp 7 Amp. Rear turn signal error comes and goes. Even after all of that, still love the car.
Appreciate 0