BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Turner motorsports titanium magnetic drain plug

04-03-2023, 06:06 PM   #45
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
Your input certainly helped - received notification that this drain bolt will fit M2 Competition…it evens shows up correctly on the website

Thank you for your diligence!
Glad I could help!

I did talk to Turner about this, and went over part numbers and images with them, and they did say they would check this out further. So I guess the issue has been resolved!

Edit - I did want to clarify this a bit further, but their fitment team did understand that the N55 m2 does have the same oil pan as the S55, however some customers reported fitment issues for whatever reason (apparently it was hitting an internal baffle). Turner did say they would investigate this further and would update the site accordingly.

So I guess they have done some more investigation and it does indeed fit!

Last edited by F87source; 04-04-2023 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2024, 06:06 AM   #46
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: OG F87 M2

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Planning to do reliability mods to my OG M2, looking to buy a few things from Turner Motorsport online, since I live in Sydney, I have to ship it to my friend's place in FL and then arrange shipment from there, just want to be sure to get everything I need at one go ;-)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ch-bmw-m12x15/

It includes a brand new copper washer.
Additional washers can be purchased individually for future oil changes. (T#582644)

I use OEM BMW oil filters (MANN?) that comes with washer, as per your review, it should be fine to use the washer in the oil filter pack, correct? So for the first oil change, should I use the one come with the plug, or the one with the oil filter?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your review on the oil drain plug (and a lot more, to be read ;-)
      02-11-2024, 06:54 AM   #47
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrywang View Post
Planning to do reliability mods to my OG M2, looking to buy a few things from Turner Motorsport online, since I live in Sydney, I have to ship it to my friend's place in FL and then arrange shipment from there, just want to be sure to get everything I need at one go ;-)

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...ch-bmw-m12x15/

It includes a brand new copper washer.
Additional washers can be purchased individually for future oil changes. (T#582644)

I use OEM BMW oil filters (MANN?) that comes with washer, as per your review, it should be fine to use the washer in the oil filter pack, correct? So for the first oil change, should I use the one come with the plug, or the one with the oil filter?

Thanks in advance, really appreciate your review on the oil drain plug (and a lot more, to be read ;-)
Yes the TMS titanium drain plug can be used with the copper washers that come with the mann filters. I have changed my oil like 3 times now and have used the mann washer each time.

It's up to you what washer you want to use for the first oil change, I just used the mann one straight from the get go.

I also recommend a crank seal plate, i personally use the malo industries one.
      02-12-2024, 04:20 AM   #48
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Yes the TMS titanium drain plug can be used with the copper washers that come with the mann filters. I have changed my oil like 3 times now and have used the mann washer each time.

It's up to you what washer you want to use for the first oil change, I just used the mann one straight from the get go.

I also recommend a crank seal plate, i personally use the malo industries one.
Thank you so much for the input, I'll simply use the washer comes with MANN filter.

I actually watched Fritz Ramos' video on this but it wasn't on the top of my list - it now is! (somehow I thought the OCC is more important). I'd rather purchase BM3 later and spend $ on reliability mods since I plan to keep the OG M2.

BTW: WRT Oil Catch Can, what do you think of the Turner Motorsport one? I read the install manual and it seem to fit very well and has unique design.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...catch-can-kit/
      02-12-2024, 05:01 AM   #49
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thank you so much for the input, I'll simply use the washer comes with MANN filter.

I actually watched Fritz Ramos' video on this but it wasn't on the top of my list - it now is! (somehow I thought the OCC is more important). I'd rather purchase BM3 later and spend $ on reliability mods since I plan to keep the OG M2.

BTW: WRT Oil Catch Can, what do you think of the Turner Motorsport one? I read the install manual and it seem to fit very well and has unique design.

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...catch-can-kit/
No problem, glad I could help.

I tried the TMS occ before and it had some fitment issues on my car - I think my coolant expansion tank bracket is a bit off and that threw off the entire can by a tiny bit so it caused clearance issues. TMS thinks its limited to my car because alot of people run the can without issue. other than that their can is excellent and id run it if I could.
      02-13-2024, 05:36 AM   #50
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
No problem, glad I could help.

I tried the TMS occ before and it had some fitment issues on my car - I think my coolant expansion tank bracket is a bit off and that threw off the entire can by a tiny bit so it caused clearance issues. TMS thinks its limited to my car because alot of people run the can without issue. other than that their can is excellent and id run it if I could.
Thanks again, so lucky to have a great place like bimmerpost which accessible from anywhere with invaluable information and crowd wisdom ;-)

BTW: My mechanic is impressed with the TMS OCC after reading the installation guide (I read it first and found some unique design details that I haven't seen with any other brand). My car is pretty much stock so I'll give it a go (will email and check with TMS).
      02-13-2024, 08:30 AM   #51
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again, so lucky to have a great place like bimmerpost which accessible from anywhere with invaluable information and crowd wisdom ;-)

BTW: My mechanic is impressed with the TMS OCC after reading the installation guide (I read it first and found some unique design details that I haven't seen with any other brand). My car is pretty much stock so I'll give it a go (will email and check with TMS).
No problem glad I could help. Yeah the turner can is very impressive, and the baffle setup is very unique. I wish it fit my car because I would have loved to run it.
      02-13-2024, 11:41 PM   #52
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
F87source some more questions you may be able to answer

When adding items into shopping cart, I also find the plugs for DCT oil drain plug / Rear Diff (OG M2)

- DCT oil drain plug
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...n-plug-m24x15/

- rear diff drain plug
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...x-socket-head/

Does it make sense (are they made of accuracy and quality as the engine oil drain plug) to get all these with the engine oil drain plug at one go (purchase and forwarding to AU) since they don't cost much but will contribute to the car's overall health in the long run. I'll use them when DCT oil and rear diff oil is due for replacement.

Thanks!
      02-14-2024, 06:33 PM   #53
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
F87source some more questions you may be able to answer

When adding items into shopping cart, I also find the plugs for DCT oil drain plug / Rear Diff (OG M2)

- DCT oil drain plug
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-2...n-plug-m24x15/

- rear diff drain plug
https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-5...x-socket-head/

Does it make sense (are they made of accuracy and quality as the engine oil drain plug) to get all these with the engine oil drain plug at one go (purchase and forwarding to AU) since they don't cost much but will contribute to the car's overall health in the long run. I'll use them when DCT oil and rear diff oil is due for replacement.

Thanks!
I'd assume they're just as good quality as the oil drain plug, but I haven't got them myself and really tested and measured them. I'm looking to review the rear diff drain plugs this summer but we will see.

Also if you're buying drain plugs, make sure you buy extra O-rings as you have to replace them each time.

For the diff you have to replace the jet pump and internal filter which is a huge pita. You also have to replace the entire pan iirc.
      02-14-2024, 07:46 PM   #54
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
For the diff you have to replace the jet pump and internal filter which is a huge pita. You also have to replace the entire pan iirc.
For the DCT…?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2024, 07:53 PM   #55
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
For the DCT…?
Yeah for the dct, it's literally a $1k USD job, jet pump, filter, oil pan gasket and iirc that isn't sold separately so you need an entire pan (also because I think the pan gets damaged when you pry it off because the pan is plastic.......), and then like 10-12 bottles of fluid. This all adds up to an insane amount of money and makes me glad I got a manual.
      02-15-2024, 06:21 AM   #56
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd assume they're just as good quality as the oil drain plug, but I haven't got them myself and really tested and measured them. I'm looking to review the rear diff drain plugs this summer but we will see.

Also if you're buying drain plugs, make sure you buy extra O-rings as you have to replace them each time.

Thanks again!

I've searched and read this: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1914005

My OG M2 is a weekend car, don't even get driven every week after COVID.

Only done 16000km, street / back road drive only, no track.

It'll take quite some time to hit 50000km mark, in this case, for DCT is it OK to wait until it hits the mileage to do a proper DCT fluid change, or once it reaches x years?

For now, I'll buy the OCC and oil drain plug first and get it done. I am not too worried about the DCT fluid or rear diff oil at this stage, almost considered selling it due to lack of use (downsize to a Swift Sport ZC32S Manual, or NC2/ND2 MX-5 Manual).
      02-16-2024, 06:44 AM   #57
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks again!

I've searched and read this: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1914005

My OG M2 is a weekend car, don't even get driven every week after COVID.

Only done 16000km, street / back road drive only, no track.

It'll take quite some time to hit 50000km mark, in this case, for DCT is it OK to wait until it hits the mileage to do a proper DCT fluid change, or once it reaches x years?

For now, I'll buy the OCC and oil drain plug first and get it done. I am not too worried about the DCT fluid or rear diff oil at this stage, almost considered selling it due to lack of use (downsize to a Swift Sport ZC32S Manual, or NC2/ND2 MX-5 Manual).
No, you should do it either at a certain time interval or mileage - whatever comes first. Personally I think it should be done every 50,000km or 4-5 years whatever comes first. This is because oxidation breaks down oil even if you don't drive much.

You should do the diff oil, it's cheap, and these diffs are finicky so if you want the car to last you should do it.
      02-19-2024, 05:26 PM   #58
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
No, you should do it either at a certain time interval or mileage - whatever comes first. Personally I think it should be done every 50,000km or 4-5 years whatever comes first. This is because oxidation breaks down oil even if you don't drive much.

You should do the diff oil, it's cheap, and these diffs are finicky so if you want the car to last you should do it.
Thanks, I've placed the order for the F87 OCC and all 3 oil drain plugs, hooray! I wish it was the $443 well spent looking back.

Totally agree, that's why the ask (to confirm). Oil is cheap, engine/transmission/diff are expensive.

I am not capable of doing rear diff oil change (at least not yet), I'll get a quote from my trusted mechanic (independent workshop who fitted FTP Motorsport charge pipe, boost pipe and turbo inlet pipe) and take it from there, will at least first do the diff oil change, now ~ 6 years since the running-in rear diff oil change (I heard some dealership service didn't do this as per the manual...).

WRT DCT oil, would 30,000~40,000km / 7~8 year a for low mileage weekend car (no track)?

I plan to update i-step (activate iDrive 6 Lite, and try F087CS steering) myself using e-sys, since I am on pretty old original i-step, will see if it changes (improve) the DCT shifting behaviour (don't have problem with its current status anyway). Then I'll get the DCT oil change done, with the new Tuner plug ;-)
      02-21-2024, 03:42 PM   #59
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I've placed the order for the F87 OCC and all 3 oil drain plugs, hooray! I wish it was the $443 well spent looking back.

Totally agree, that's why the ask (to confirm). Oil is cheap, engine/transmission/diff are expensive.

I am not capable of doing rear diff oil change (at least not yet), I'll get a quote from my trusted mechanic (independent workshop who fitted FTP Motorsport charge pipe, boost pipe and turbo inlet pipe) and take it from there, will at least first do the diff oil change, now ~ 6 years since the running-in rear diff oil change (I heard some dealership service didn't do this as per the manual...).

WRT DCT oil, would 30,000~40,000km / 7~8 year a for low mileage weekend car (no track)?

I plan to update i-step (activate iDrive 6 Lite, and try F087CS steering) myself using e-sys, since I am on pretty old original i-step, will see if it changes (improve) the DCT shifting behaviour (don't have problem with its current status anyway). Then I'll get the DCT oil change done, with the new Tuner plug ;-)
Yeah I personally think supporting mods are always worth it for car longevity, despite not yielding very tangible performance benefits.

Personally I think the rear diff fluid service is the easiest service you can do, and learn to work on the m2. Because it's just 2 plugs and a simple drain and fill and quite easily accessible. Even if you mess up and strip the drain or fill plugs, a new diff cover is cheap and not too hard to replace.

No, that time period is too long imo, but the only way to know for sure is a UOA with the additional TAN test. But honestly 7-8 years is far too long.

Make sure you use a quality micro processor controlled power supply when flashing with esys, because if voltage drops then you'll brick your car.
      02-22-2024, 05:50 AM   #60
terrywang
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah I personally think supporting mods are always worth it for car longevity, despite not yielding very tangible performance benefits.

Personally I think the rear diff fluid service is the easiest service you can do, and learn to work on the m2. Because it's just 2 plugs and a simple drain and fill and quite easily accessible. Even if you mess up and strip the drain or fill plugs, a new diff cover is cheap and not too hard to replace.

No, that time period is too long imo, but the only way to know for sure is a UOA with the additional TAN test. But honestly 7-8 years is far too long.

Make sure you use a quality micro processor controlled power supply when flashing with esys, because if voltage drops then you'll brick your car.
Thanks for reminding me of the power supply, I'll do my research, I have a CTEK charger but that's not a power supply.

Rear diff oil - you encouraged me to DIY, the only concern is the smell (heard it's terrible, now I am curious to know how terrible it is). TheHunterHofman shared a great video on his channel, thanks!

For DCT oil change, based on this video

seems to be a job too complicated for beginners. I'll just get my trusted indie workshop to do it, do you recommend replacing the filters (2) and the transmission oil pan (DCT) every time (I'd assume so)? I've heard people doing transmission oil flush in between 2 proper jobs, don't think it's worth the risk.
      02-22-2024, 06:50 AM   #61
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for reminding me of the power supply, I'll do my research, I have a CTEK charger but that's not a power supply.

Rear diff oil - you encouraged me to DIY, the only concern is the smell (heard it's terrible, now I am curious to know how terrible it is). TheHunterHofman shared a great video on his channel, thanks!

For DCT oil change, based on this video

seems to be a job too complicated for beginners. I'll just get my trusted indie workshop to do it, do you recommend replacing the filters (2) and the transmission oil pan (DCT) every time (I'd assume so)? I've heard people doing transmission oil flush in between 2 proper jobs, don't think it's worth the risk.
Gear oil smells horrible, sewage and garbage smells way worse so it's bad but tolerable. Probably best to be in a well ventilated space because these fumes are likely not good for your health.

Yeah change the filters every time just to be safe. For the pan, the only reason why you have to replace it is if you're unable to source the seal separately or damage the plastic pan. If you upgrade to an aluminum pan then it's only a matter of finding a new gasket everytime. I think rock auto sells it but I am not certain since I haven't bothered looking (i own a 6mt so I honestly don't put too much effort in learning about the dct).
      02-23-2024, 09:45 AM   #62
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Yup, diff is easy. The smell isn't great but doing it in a garage with the door open is perfectly fine.

Changing the DCT fluid is definitely much more involved, especially with the refilling and leveling procedures. It's a bit of a pain if you're doing the diff change on a QuickJack (and probably even on jack stands), when you need to get into the vehicle to run the ISTA process etc and then crawl under the vehicle and deal with the fill plug while also working near a warm exhaust. Also it's very important to consider ambient temps and transmission temps before you start the process, I made the mistake of draining the fluid on a hot summer day (31C/88F) and after driving 40 minutes which meant the transmission was waaaaayyy too hot to run the level procedure and I had to leave the vehicle to cool overnight.

I am pretty sure I had seen RockAuto selling the gasket separately now but I only saw that after having already bought a full replacement pan from the dealer. With my next fluid change I probably will be looking at swapping to a metal pan instead, especially with tracking so frequently.
Appreciate 2
F87source7251.50
      03-16-2024, 06:34 PM   #63
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

is the torque on this the same as the oem drain plug?
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 07:04 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
is the torque on this the same as the oem drain plug?
Yes
MooMooM21819.00
      03-16-2024, 09:59 PM   #65
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Personally I think the rear diff fluid service is the easiest service you can do, and learn to work on the m2. Because it's just 2 plugs and a simple drain and fill and quite easily accessible.
Agreed! It was one of the first DIY projects I did on my M2.

Quote:
Even if you mess up and strip the drain or fill plugs, a new diff cover is cheap and not too hard to replace.
I’d love to learn more about the procedure to replace the cover, if you have any pointers. I’m one of those that used the too-high drain/fill plug torque spec indicated on FCP Euro’s site and many popular YouTube videos before @Tes’s PSA about the actual, correct torque spec and we got it updated at FCP Euro and elsewhere. So, I don’t know what I’m gonna find in ~35 months at my next diff drain’n’fill. But I do know the plugs are on there too tight at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2024, 11:26 PM   #66
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
Agreed! It was one of the first DIY projects I did on my M2.

I’d love to learn more about the procedure to replace the cover, if you have any pointers. I’m one of those that used the too-high drain/fill plug torque spec indicated on FCP Euro’s site and many popular YouTube videos before @Tes’s PSA about the actual, correct torque spec and we got it updated at FCP Euro and elsewhere. So, I don’t know what I’m gonna find in ~35 months at my next diff drain’n’fill. But I do know the plugs are on there too tight at the moment.
You should be able to remove it just by taking off all of the outer bolts, gently prying off the cover after unplugging the sensor, clean the mating surface, add a bead of sealant to the new cover (bmw uses loctite 5970 but typical Permatex RTV should be fine), move the new cover over, move over the sensor and plugs, and retorqe all bolts, let the rtv cure, then fill it up and test for leaks. This is just standard oil pan replacement stuff (obviously check ista for the exact torque specs and procedures), and I did alot of that on subarus due to their crap oil pickups always cracking.

The cover itself is ~$100: https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...n/33132284835/

so it is very cheap for a BMW oem part, so like I said before, if you had to strip something this would be it, since it is so cheap and easy to replace.
jefe2000739.50