BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Tail Light Malfunction

03-09-2021, 09:04 AM   #1
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Tail Light Malfunction

I know there is already a thread on the subject, but that thread got closed. Just wanted to share, in case it helps anyone else. One of the questions was, whether the error gets stored and based on the dealership info on the invoice it does (and counts the amount of it having happened). It took me several times to capture the error message, as it sometimes went away quickly. So, for those who encounter the issue, the dealership should see it.
Outcome was the same as for most, tail light assembly got replaced. The fact that it was in stock at the dealership suggests it is indeed a common issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
DanG10664.50
      03-09-2021, 09:09 AM   #2
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Mine was definitely stored. They redid the wiring harness about a year ago. I haven’t had a problem since.
Appreciate 1
      03-09-2021, 02:06 PM   #3
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Yup had to do both of mine, at different times. Had a quick popup the other day after a big storm but it went away right after.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
davidk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2018 M2

I am reviving this because I have had a left rear turn signal malfunction for a bit over a year (usually lasts less than a minute before it clears itself) now on my 2018 M2. I had the dealer look at it when it was still under warranty, but they were "unable to duplicate" (even though they were able to see the code, as well as my pictures of the error), and sent me on my way hoping it wouldn't return. Is there any one cause for this error? Since it clears itself fairly quickly, I haven't been too concerned, but it is beginning to irritate me.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:23 PM   #5
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Guess you found out why BMW Northwest is not the best service dealer in our area. BMW has service bulletins out on this problem. They were suppose to check the wiring harness first. If no problems found in the wiring then replace the taillight assembly.

Poochie thinks it is a software problem and has a fix by turning off the bulb check routine.

BMW Seattle replaced my rear right taillight and I have had no problem since then. By the way I had over 100 right taillight malfunctions that they could read.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2022, 02:24 PM   #6
JustAWhisper
Private
Rep
Drives: 2003.5 M3, 2018 M2

If the dealer is brushing you off you just need to be persistent. The dealers should know by now that it's a common issue. Many are replacing lights immediately without fuss (mine sent me away the first time it happened, but replaced it when I came back a second time with the light actively on, and they replaced the 2nd taillight immediately without question when the issue appeared there too). Maybe BMWNA is starting to get annoyed and your dealer is trying to wait out your warranty to make their lives easier, but that's purely speculative.

Either way, you just need keep bugging your dealer until they fix it. The issue will get progressively worse.

EDIT: Saw the poster brought up the software fix. You can do that, but it means other faults might be masked as well. Users have reported their taillights malfunctioning with no indications because they used the software change. I would definitely try to get the issue fixed by the dealer if you still have a warranty.

Last edited by JustAWhisper; 06-11-2022 at 02:47 PM..
Appreciate 0