BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Electrical noise in cabin

02-19-2022, 06:32 PM   #1
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Audi S4

Electrical noise in cabin

Hey all. I recently coded out ASD using Bimmercode and started noticing a very high pitched electrical noise in the cabin. The noise is not too loud, but definitely can be heard over an idling engine. It's a high pitched noise that you'd normally get from electronics power adapters. Like current flowing through or something.

I tried to trace where it's coming from. I'm roughly guessing it's either the center speaker, the center screen, or the gauge cluster, but I can't pinpoint the exact location.

I get this noise with the engine on or off. I tried rebooting the iDrive system but the sound is still there even during the reboot. Fwiw I don't think coding out ASD caused the problem - it just let me hear it more clearly.

Does anyone have the same issue? Or know how to solve it?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 06:36 PM   #2
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Weird. I too have coded out ASD with Bimmercode, no such issue. Is it possible there's another electronic device there someplace causing this - like a dealer lot tracker left in the car? It's obviously not in the OBD port or you'd have already stumbled on it.
      02-19-2022, 09:11 PM   #3
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
I would pull the fuse on the amp and see if the noise goes away. Sounds like an amp problem to me.
Appreciate 1
chris7197334.00
      02-19-2022, 09:54 PM   #4
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Start with some basic troubleshooting. Reenable ASD and see if the issue goes away. If it does you're on the right track. If not then it might be something else that was coded or some other coding potentially conflicting with the ASD disable. In that case I would reverse every change back to stock and see if it goes away. If it does work your way back up one change at until you find the culprit. GL
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2022, 09:56 PM   #5
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep

I found a similar thread on X5: https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1589172

This person uploaded a video https://g05.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=37 which sounds very close to what I'm hearing.

I'll try pulling the amp fuse and report back.
By the way I think there are a couple fuses related to infotainment and amp, do you know which one it is?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2022, 10:13 PM   #6
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the replies! Here are the experiments I did so far:

1. turn off the center screen - doesn't help
2. turn down interior light (both through the dial left to the steering column, and also through "Vehicle Settings") - doesn't help
3. restore ASD through Bimmercode - doesn't help

4. Pull fuse 121 - noise goes away! (see pics for the exact fuse I pulled)
Of course after pulling the fuse the center screen stops working, and the speakers as well. At least I didn't hear the "gong" at start up.

At this point I'm suspecting the noise is coming from the speakers. I listened very closely by literally glueing my ear to all the speakers, and I'm quite certain that the noise is coming from the speakers mounted on the door inside of the side mirror. (Not sure what the technical name is for the speaker, but it's the one on the door, the upper one, with "Harman Kardon" on it). Both left and right speakers are making the noise.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 12:32 PM   #7
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpxl View Post
(Not sure what the technical name is for the speaker, but it's the one on the door, the upper one, with "Harman Kardon" on it)
Tweeter
Appreciate 1
hotpxl9.00
      03-10-2022, 11:41 PM   #8
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Reporting back, TLDR is I resolved the issue with ASD harness.

It turns out that ASD was the problem after all. Even if I coded back the ASD I still get the noise (albeit slightly different frequency). I googled it more and found some posts on X3 forums about this issue, that's when I suspected ASD. I installed a TechnicPNP harness and the noise is fully gone. Of course there's still tube rush in the tweeter (like any other audio system), but it's very minimal and within normal range, and the tone itself is not annoying anymore.

I don't care about fake engine noise either way, but one great benefit of installing the harness is the audio quality is now much much better. The resolution is much better than before, and now finally it sounds like a decent "premium" audio system. I don't have to crank up the volume to hear all details, bass is clear and well defined, treble is now precise.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 07:28 AM   #9
Deezyc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C

This is some great information for what seems like a very isolated issue. Thanks for your follow-up!
Appreciate 1
hotpxl9.00
      03-11-2022, 07:50 AM   #10
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:

It turns out that ASD was the problem after all. Even if I coded back the ASD I still get the noise (albeit slightly different frequency). I googled it more and found some posts on X3 forums about this issue, that's when I suspected ASD. I installed a TechnicPNP harness and the noise is fully gone. Of course there's still tube rush in the tweeter (like any other audio system), but it's very minimal and within normal range, and the tone itself is not annoying anymore.

I don't care about fake engine noise either way, but one great benefit of installing the harness is the audio quality is now much much better. The resolution is much better than before, and now finally it sounds like a decent "premium" audio system. I don't have to crank up the volume to hear all details, bass is clear and well defined, treble is now precise.
I read some 2 series chatter from a few years ago that they lost base sound after using the harness. Anything you observed? It referenced this product and company specifically but it was from 2016. I'm guessing it may have gotten better sincerely then.
      03-11-2022, 09:02 AM   #11
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleinacus View Post
Quote:

I read some 2 series chatter from a few years ago that they lost base sound after using the harness. Anything you observed? It referenced this product and company specifically but it was from 2016. I'm guessing it may have gotten better sincerely then.
No. The bass is actually better than before. Much more well defined and controlled. The improvements are significant.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2022, 09:08 AM   #12
Kleinacus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT Build Week 33

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

No. The bass is actually better than before. Much more well defined and controlled. The improvements are significant.
Stupid question... On their website, it asks for your car and then factory audio system. Which audio option one did you pick? It may not matter or apply to the asd bypass but it's how you get to their products.
      03-11-2022, 06:25 PM   #13
hotpxl
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Stupid question... On their website, it asks for your car and then factory audio system. Which audio option one did you pick? It may not matter or apply to the asd bypass but it's how you get to their products.
It doesn't matter. Any choice will get you to the same ASD harness
Appreciate 1
Kleinacus671.00