BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Coding in anti-dazzle on M2C

03-03-2022, 03:37 PM   #23
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxcamel View Post
I'd recommend having a friend drive in front of you and experiment with the GFHB. You'll likely find you are in fact blinding other drivers, just as I did. In my experimenting in this manner, I found there must be missing hardware in the headlights in USA vehicles which prevent light from being properly shielded.
Been meaning to do this, but haven't had a chance to. However, I did test this out a bit. I turned off the auto-high beam and just turned on the high beams manually, there was a clear difference between the two. Manually high beams clearly would be blinding to other drivers versus this coded version of GFHB.
      03-03-2022, 07:03 PM   #24
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Quote:
I'd recommend having a friend drive in front of you and experiment with the GFHB. You'll likely find you are in fact blinding other drivers, just as I did. In my experimenting in this manner, I found there must be missing hardware in the headlights in USA vehicles which prevent light from being properly shielded.
Been meaning to do this, but haven't had a chance to. However, I did test this out a bit. I turned off the auto-high beam and just turned on the high beams manually, there was a clear difference between the two. Manually high beams clearly would be blinding to other drivers versus this coded version of GFHB.
Let us know what you find when doing this. I am curious. As much as I want this feature to work properly I haven't been able to use it successfully without blinding others. I have the same issue in my 2021 X3.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2022, 11:59 PM   #25
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

This subject has been discussed many times as has already been noted. If you're using anti-dazzle, the oncoming traffic won't be blinded. Unfortunately the traffic in front of you will not be protected by the "tunnel" affect in US spec cars. Personally I think the hardware is different than the Euro versions. I turn off the anti-dazzle unless I have an open road in front of me. With the amount of road rage these days, I'd be careful about driving down a freeway with anti-dazzle on because from the rear view mirror of the car in front it looks like the high beams are on. I've checked it myself.

Last edited by AlpsRider; 03-04-2022 at 01:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2022, 11:01 AM   #26
David1
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 09 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
This subject has already been discussed many times as has been already noted. If you're using anti-dazzle, the oncoming traffic won't be blinded. Unfortunately the traffic in front of you will not be protected by the "tunnel" affect in US spec cars. Personally I think the hardware is different than the Euro versions. I turn off the anti-dazzle unless I have an open road in front of me. With the amount of road rage these days, I'd be careful about driving down a freeway with anti-dazzle on because it looks like high beams in a rearview mirror.
Yup, the hardware is different. On another note, if you just raise the aiming of the headlights up a little since they are aimed to low from the factory it makes a huge improvement without blinding people. The HID lighting in my OGM2 was better than the LED lighting in my comp.
      03-04-2022, 04:51 PM   #27
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Sorry guys, but I haven't seen any definitive proof that the headlight hardware between US and ROW specs cars are different. As I posted previously in this thread:

"I see the different PNs for the euro headlights vs the US ones, but that doesn't really prove anything, as it could be anything from a simple label change for us regulations vs euro, or more major with actual hardware changes. Someone even tried to post a side-by-side internals comparison of the US vs the Euro ones, but it turned out to be fake, as an image search turned out that the one headlight was from a MINI..."

Nobody has opened a US headlight and checked the LEDs in the actual housing to see how they compare. I welcome the information if someone has definitive proof, as I don't mind being proven wrong.

I will try and find time to go out and test this with another vehicle, but unfortunately won't be until next month most likely. As for the time being, I can clearly see that there was a difference between high beams turned on manually and the anti-dazzle function. The anti-dazzle dipped the beams to be low beams to the cars in front of me, while still maintaining the high beam off to the side of the road. I will try to get pictures when I test, but it may be difficult.
      03-04-2022, 05:34 PM   #28
bmxcamel
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F87 LCI, G01 m40i, E90 M3

Quote:
Sorry guys, but I haven't seen any definitive proof that the headlight hardware between US and ROW specs cars are different. As I posted previously in this thread:

"I see the different PNs for the euro headlights vs the US ones, but that doesn't really prove anything, as it could be anything from a simple label change for us regulations vs euro, or more major with actual hardware changes. Someone even tried to post a side-by-side internals comparison of the US vs the Euro ones, but it turned out to be fake, as an image search turned out that the one headlight was from a MINI..."

Nobody has opened a US headlight and checked the LEDs in the actual housing to see how they compare. I welcome the information if someone has definitive proof, as I don't mind being proven wrong.

I will try and find time to go out and test this with another vehicle, but unfortunately won't be until next month most likely. As for the time being, I can clearly see that there was a difference between high beams turned on manually and the anti-dazzle function. The anti-dazzle dipped the beams to be low beams to the cars in front of me, while still maintaining the high beam off to the side of the road. I will try to get pictures when I test, but it may be difficult.
Yes, I agree that the anti dazzle movement is enabled due to the coding changes made, and this part of the change appears to work properly. However the light will not shield correctly and cars in front of you will be blinded by what is effectively your high beams.

Can't confirm about oncoming traffic being blinded or not, as I never managed to test this, it is tricky timing to get right heh 😼
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #29
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
So, I've had anti-dazzle coded in my M2C for 2 winters now (when I actually get to use my headlights due to shorter days), and can say that it works fine, especially on low speed (30-50mph) backroads, even twisty ones. I hardly ever get flashed by oncoming traffic, and I look at the rear window of the car ahead of me to judge if I may be beaming into their car by chance, but it doesnt appear so. So, I cant say 100%, but I've not season a reason for me to reverse it out.

I dont use the feature on highways because I havent had a reason to generally.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 05:31 AM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:

Specifically on the 2 Series/M2, the underlying headlight technology is not that complicated and is all the same for the US and the rest of the world, thus, anti-dazzle can be properly coded to allow full activation on vehicles with adaptive headlights (i.e. Executive Package).

You are going to hear folks are claiming otherwise but that's just a broad generalization, since it is true that on some BMWs the headlight technology varies between difference regions but that's not the case on this specific model.

The glare free high beam feature is just decoded in the US because of some archaic lighting laws written around the time Nixon was in office, that doesn't allow the high and low beam to operate in a continuum, only either/or, which is why it is decoded, since GFHB requires both the low/high beam in a variation of patters to do its thing.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2022, 12:17 PM   #31
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
In my 2020>

IMHO coming up behind another driver I don't think there's a issue until your fairly close. The LED's do a good job of moving around the car in front of me. I watch the rear view mirror of the car in front. At no time is there a reflection of any of the LED's until I'm fairly close and then I can't tell anyways.

Another fact is when I do turn off the function approaching another car from behind I can see the LED's move back in from where they were split to either side of the car in front of me.

Cars driving at me occasionally will flash their lights at me, but its like one in 30 drivers. I think in this direction its nearly perfect.

I do turn off my auto function in certain situations where I am close to another car(s) in front of me to make sure I'm not bothering them.

My $.02
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0