BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Stupidest reason to go to jail?

12-11-2023, 07:04 PM   #45
3.0L
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M235i, 20k miles

I've done some stupid shit, just didn't get caught.

The worst one was tossing a fake stick of dynamite from a 20 foot cliff onto a hobo camp near the RR tracks. The two hobos toasting their Campbells pork and beans broke the 100 yard dash record getting away from their campfire. Don't know what happened to the beans. Our gang was in high school at the time.

Then there's the time I hit 125 MPH in my 2004 Mazda RX-8 on highway 1. That was the top end of 4th gear in a 6-speed gear box. Top speed for that car occurred in 5th. Never had the nads to try it. 148, I think.

When writing your life's plan, use a pencil with an eraser
Appreciate 2
      12-11-2023, 08:59 PM   #46
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Hey, I am always down for a rehash of a decades-old celebrity drama.

As far as the bux go, some have it, some don't, and some know how to pile the stuff up without even appearing to work very hard for it.

Based upon her Sports Illustrated Swimsuit 2023 cover, I'd have to agree with you!
Just admit you somehow have a fetish of her and end it lol.

I guess if you wanna consider being majorly-airbrushed on some silly mag cover being comparable to what she could've been sans conviction, alrightythen.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:18 PM   #47
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Just admit you somehow have a fetish of her and end it lol.

I guess if you wanna consider being majorly-airbrushed on some silly mag cover being comparable to what she could've been sans conviction, alrightythen.
I forget. Who raised the subject of this 81-year old has-been again? Help me out here!

Seriously – we are having fun here, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:43 PM   #48
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I forget. Who raised the subject of this 81-year old has-been again? Help me out here!

Seriously – we are having fun here, right?
I raised it but I didn't expect you and some other dude to CONSTANTLY defend the hag...."but but but...." lmao.

Sure, we're just having fun if ppl can stop being ridiculous saying that her conviction had *absolutely no effect* on her.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 09:59 PM   #49
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
I raised it but I didn't expect you and some other dude to CONSTANTLY defend the hag...."but but but...." lmao.

Sure, we're just having fun if ppl can stop being ridiculous saying that her conviction had *absolutely no effect* on her.
Let's just agree that you're right and we're wrong - will that work?

P.S. As for the "hag" part, the kids tell me that we've moved on from those sorts of no longer acceptable characterizations. Do you know - are they right?
Appreciate 1
Esteban43770.50
      12-11-2023, 10:29 PM   #50
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Let's just agree that you're right and we're wrong - will that work?

P.S. As for the "hag" part, the kids tell me that we've moved on from those sorts of no longer acceptable characterizations. Do you know - are they right?
No, no, you're entitled to your opinion and I'm sure there are many who agree w you, just that I don't see it.

Ya, my bad, I shouldn't have called her a 'hag', the airbrushing was quite spectacular. Cheers.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4413.00
      12-12-2023, 01:13 AM   #51
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a slow car fast

I always thought highly of Martha. Maybe I just don’t get it. I dunno.
      12-12-2023, 01:19 AM   #52
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0L View Post
I've done some stupid shit, just didn't get caught.

The worst one was tossing a fake stick of dynamite from a 20 foot cliff onto a hobo camp near the RR tracks. The two hobos toasting their Campbells pork and beans broke the 100 yard dash record getting away from their campfire. Don't know what happened to the beans. Our gang was in high school at the time.

Then there's the time I hit 125 MPH in my 2004 Mazda RX-8 on highway 1. That was the top end of 4th gear in a 6-speed gear box. Top speed for that car occurred in 5th. Never had the nads to try it. 148, I think.
Fastest I’ve ever been is 120mph on the 210 freeway in a slightly tuned 135i, which could go faster but I didn’t see any reason to push it.
      12-12-2023, 03:40 AM   #53
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
I always thought highly of Martha. Maybe I just don’t get it. I dunno.
Before and after her conviction?

Good on her for getting famous/rich for making crafts/fussy stuff popular, I guess, not my cup of tea though. Sometimes, less is more (imo).
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 08:53 AM   #54
Watching The World Burn
Lengthy but not a Girthy Member
Rep
Drives: 1971 Honda Civic

Quote:
Fastest I’ve ever been is 120mph on the 210 freeway in a slightly tuned 135i, which could go faster but I didn’t see any reason to push it.
I've *allegedly* done just a little over 120mph in the Welland Canal tunnel (roughly 205-210 km/h). Had I wrecked, they'd just be mopping up the pieces, no way to recover from that when you are in a concrete tunnel.

Fastest I've been is 154 mph on the autobahn...praying that I read the signs right and it was the unrestricted portion of it. No international tickets were sent my way after I got home, so I believe I was.

Was young and dumb enough to take one hand off the steering wheel at this speed and grab the camera and point it at the general area of the speedometer and snap random pics hoping one would turn out. It did. But dumb.

Older now. Somewhat wiser, but definitely older.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43770.50
      12-12-2023, 01:37 PM   #55
JMcLellan
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 M2

For really attractive elderly women for me Helen Mirren takes it.

Now to breaking the law behind the wheel: was a passenger in my buddies 1978 Trans Am and we went about 130 down a hill. Not a safe feeling at all! Fastest I've been on my own was 137 in my 2003 Mazdaspeed Protege; 137 is when the governor kicked in. I hit 130 in a Ferrari 488 but that was on a closed track, not illegal, and felt very safe and stable.. Most I did in my previous M240i was about 120.

I feel for all the people that have been jailed for possessing marijuana while there are now I believe 26 states where pot is legal.
      12-12-2023, 02:08 PM   #56
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Garage List
i once went to jail for like 2 hours because i couldnt pay my traffic ticket on the spot at the court. jackass judge. luckily my brother came with my checkbook.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 02:09 PM   #57
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
i've done 130 and got caught but it was on the toll road and the cop reduced it to 80mph

for those folks that are getting huffy, it's a near abandoned road and you can see well ahead if there are any cars.
Appreciate 1
Esteban43770.50
      12-12-2023, 02:31 PM   #58
Leucosticte
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi E92 6mt swap

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erickonphoenix View Post
How about the stupidest reason you weren't arrested?

In Louisanna I was cruising at 90 mph on I-10 when a Silver lexus pulled up behind me and had a red and blue flashing light on his dashboard. Assuming it was some dork with eBay police lights trying to be funny I took off on him.

A mile or so down the road is a Louisanna State patrol SUV waiting for me with all the his police lights on. Needless to say I was thinking of who to call when I got to jail.

The statie got me stopped then the lexus pulled up and a uniformed officer got out. Quietly wrote me a ticket for 90/65 and dismissed me with no other comment.

Still have no idea why they didn't pin me for fleeing but they got $700 out my wallet.
I had something similar happen with a Toyota Corolla undercover cop car, yes, it literally looked identical to the millions of corollas driving around, no distinguishing features.

I was driving back home from college in upstate NY, I would usually leave late at night to avoid traffic (New Jersey traffic is absolutely disgusting, anyone whos driven there will know). By the time I was near my house it was around 1AM, having left at 11PM. I noticed a random corolla start tailgating me in the residential streets near my house and I decided to book it and lose him. I figured he wanted trouble and that he wanted to follow me home.

Anyway, I pull into my garage and then a minute later the corolla pulled up on my street with red and blues on. I guess he got my address from my plate, anyway he didn't give me a ticket or anything despite me going a ridiculous speed in a residential, I told him that I had no idea that he was a cop. Surprisingly he sympathized with me and said he was chasing some other white BMW and that he mistook my car for it, overall it was an ok interaction, no ticket or anything for me.

However, I really don't like the idea of these deep undercover cop cars that totally blend in with normal traffic with 0 ways of identifying them. At least with an undercover explorer or charger or crown vic or whatever you know that it's very likely that it's actually a cop and not an impersonator. So I hope that these cops understand why you'd assume that they're impersonators at first and choose to flee or not take them seriously. This likely happened in your case too and why the cop chose to have mercy lol.
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2023, 02:38 PM   #59
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekidM2C View Post
i've done 130 and got caught but it was on the toll road and the cop reduced it to 80mph

for those folks that are getting huffy, it's a near abandoned road and you can see well ahead if there are any cars.
When I did it it was in the late morning when it was at its most emptiest (didn't want to do it at night where visibility is not as good) and I scouted out the freeway first by going a few miles a couple of times in a particular section to make sure it was safe, relatively speaking.

Really, those kind of things should be done on a race track and not on public roads, except of course, the autobahn as mentioned here already, where it's legal to drive at those speeds. Did it once and don't plan on doing it again.

Last edited by Esteban; 12-12-2023 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 03:36 PM   #60
infinitekidM2C
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
When I did it it was in the late morning when it was at its most emptiest (didn't want to do it at night where visibility is not as good) and I scouted out the freeway first by going a few miles a couple of times in a particular section to make sure it was safe, relatively speaking.

Really, those kind of things should be done on a race track and not on public roads, except of course, the autobahn as mentioned here already, where it's legal to drive at those speeds. Did it once and don't plan on doing it again.
I call it the orange county autobahn but ok yeah i only did it once
Appreciate 1
Esteban43770.50
      12-12-2023, 03:48 PM   #61
Car-Addicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M4 CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M4 CS  [9.87]
How about the smartest reason to go to jail?
Sit in at university admin office to protest Vietnam war. We were right but we still went to jail.
Appreciate 2
Llarry15981.50
vreihen1615280.00
      12-12-2023, 04:59 PM   #62
Murf the Surf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watching The World Burn View Post
I've *allegedly* done just a little over 120mph in the Welland Canal tunnel (roughly 205-210 km/h). Had I wrecked, they'd just be mopping up the pieces, no way to recover from that when you are in a concrete tunnel.

Fastest I've been is 154 mph on the autobahn...praying that I read the signs right and it was the unrestricted portion of it. No international tickets were sent my way after I got home, so I believe I was.

Was young and dumb enough to take one hand off the steering wheel at this speed and grab the camera and point it at the general area of the speedometer and snap random pics hoping one would turn out. It did. But dumb.

Older now. Somewhat wiser, but definitely older.
I know that tunnel.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2023, 05:11 PM   #63
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Scared straight at about age 5. Dad was the Assistant DA in the local town. He and the chief took me to see the holding cells. Then they put me in and closed the door. No others were present.

Since then, I've never even worn the silver bracelets, even in the privacy of my own bedroom. . .
      12-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #64
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Scared straight at about age 5. Dad was the Assistant DA in the local town. He and the chief took me to see the holding cells. Then they put me in and closed the door. No others were present.

Since then, I've never even worn the silver bracelets, even in the privacy of my own bedroom. . .
Haha. No comment about me.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2023, 06:17 PM   #65
Esteban
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha. No comment about me.
Come on now, tranquility, spill the beans.
      12-12-2023, 06:38 PM   #66
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Come on now, tranquility, spill the beans.
Pleading the fifth like UncleWede
Appreciate 0