BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > EDC "Retro-fit" w / DSC SPORT Active Suspension System

04-12-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
jetbill
Captain
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

EDC "Retro-fit" w / DSC SPORT Active Suspension System

https://www.dscsport.com
https://www.dscsport.com/product/stand-alone-kit/

While transitioning from my F80 M3 to a wonderful F87 M2 the one thing and only thing I missed was the adaptive suspension (EDC) of the F80. Had gone through various iterations of aftermarket suspensions on both cars I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.

F80 Suspension Migration path:

1) Swift spring on stock dampers:
Understeer and sits on bump stops...looked ok and rode ok just didn't handle as good as stock

2) Dinan HAS with EDC dampers and Dinan Sways on the F80

3) TC Kline Koni Double Adjustable kit:
Great but too noisy up front with the foot valve in the shock.

4) JRZ RS2 Double Adjustable kit:
Blew rear shock third lap at Sebring, removed the whole setup

5) Originally went back to the Dinan HAS with EDC dampers and ZCP tune

F87 Suspension Migration path:

1) Stock
2) KW Clubsport
3) MPS
4) PSS10

I was looking for the ability to drive the kids to school comfortably while taking the car to AutoX and track days at my local track, Sebring with the ability to tune and taylor to my requirements...on a relatively small budget...(<$3k).

I talked to the guys (Jeremy) at DSC Sport for a solution to retro-fit OE BMW EDC dampers into the M2. Pretty cool tech provided by DSC SPORT, relies heavily on the provided 3 axis G sensor that's included in the stand alone kit (SA) which also includes the switch (Discreetly mounted by handbrake) and wiring harness. The system included a connection for Canbus (BMW calls FlexRay I believe). DSC plans to use this integration in the future as they do with the other platforms (Porsche etc) they offer solutions for.

Ive been eyeing the DSC stuff for at least three years but never had the opportunity to put together a solution for the various plethora of BMW cars I've been blessed to own.
The guys at DSC Sport / TPC racing offer some really nice Tractive adaptive dampers for the F8X cars but since the budget was a bit tighter than normal I thought about BMW OE dampers.

After having connected with another member (thank you Racer20 regarding his shock dynos for the OE shocks, I was pleasantly amazed at both the up and down scale flow capability of the stock OE BMW EDC shocks (non-ZCP).

So I picked up some lightly used EDC dampers from a fellow F80 M3 member (thank you TTGator for under $300 bucks shipped! Practically a donation to this project.. They measure the same in the front and fit perfectly. The rears are actually 0.5" shorter which ironically is a benefit in that it allows for a bit more bump travel (0.5" stock). In the event I planned to lower he vehicle using a HAS KIT you could ideally maintain the stock bump travel.

After a few discussions with Jeremy @ DSC sport I had a box on my door step and a calibration file to upload to the DSC controller within three days. I started out with installing the dampers before it arrived , I used the stock M2 springs and Ground Control Camber plates with my already installed Front H&R and Rear Dinan Sway bar.

After about 8 hours total I had the dampers installed and the DSC sport "stand alone" system wired and mounted. The calibration file was shipped with the controller and the software to adjust the calibration file is free to download on the DSC site. The system comes with a momentary push bottom which selects between three user configurable maps (Normal,Sport,Track). Pretty awesome stuff.

I've dyno'd most of the suspension setups I've had on both the F80 and F87 in this link (Spring / Shock Dyno's https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1590553) and surpassingly the OE OG M2 stock shocks had less dampening than I expected, which isn't bad but interesting to note.

After the install, backing out of the garage I could immediately tell it was working. Within minutes I could notice how comfortable and flat the car was with a noticeable amount of increased mechanical grip. Don't get me wrong, the stock M2 suspension was pretty good IMO, just a bit bumpy, a bit of roll but seems to rely heavily on the OE bumpstops during normal driving and definitely during cornering (0.5" bump travel measured stock front and rear).

I'm not usually one to review things and I wouldn't call this a proper review but wanted to share the info with some of you guys in case any had the interest. Also, in full disclosure I have no connection to DSC Sport or TPC racing and have paid for the kit...as I did with the plethora of other suspension setups I've had and shock dynos.

What I like about DSC Sport / TPC Racing is that these guys really try to support they're products. I've gone through some remote tuning with them and they have provided feedback in a timely manor. I've since then created various calibration files on my own with they're support. Mike Levitas, owner of TPC is a racer and from what I can tell an outstanding gentleman. Tom Chan has been helping Jermey with support in providing the calibration files etc. There is various of other reviews on other platforms , specifically Porsche , Viper and Vette forums which I've been using to try to educate myself with different tuning strategies as well.

I believe once they are able to fully develop canbus integration to BMW they will then offer a plug and play solution for the F8X M3/4 factory EDC controller so it will only get better (more predictive I'd say).
Attached Images

Last edited by jetbill; 04-23-2019 at 04:29 PM..
Appreciate 2
qmp122.00
///Mobbin1474.50
      04-12-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
jetbill
Captain
Rep

The one single red line that stops at 10 inches per second is the M2 dampers. All others represent 1.8 to 0 amps in 0.2 amp increments, front then rear shown below. You can clearly see how much up scale and down scale capabilities the stock EDC dampers have compared to the stock M2 dampers.

Again if it wasn't for the data files that racer20 had sent me it would be very difficult to create a calibration file.
Attached Images

///Mobbin1474.50
Aeko41.00
      04-12-2019, 03:20 PM   #3
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Screen shots from the software which uses a windows operating system. I use and old Windows Stream tablet which works pretty effectively while in the car to make changes and datalog for tuning.

First is the G table , second is the shock calibration ranges you can define or limit. In this case the normal is set from 1800 to 600mA; Sport 1600 to 500mA; Track 1400 to 200mA. Each mode has its own G table and shock calibration screen as well as a few others not shown. You can edit and write the data to the controller pretty quickly.
Attached Images

Last edited by jetbill; 04-12-2019 at 10:52 PM..
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1474.50
      04-12-2019, 11:00 PM   #4
jetbill
Captain
Rep

After testing the EDC stock M3 shocks with stock M2 springs and the DSC Sport Controller for a while (which worked great) I've decided to try to lower the car a bit and increase the spring rate by installing a Ground Control HAS kit from the M3 as well using standard 2.5" linear springs. 300# 7" Front and 800# 8" rears. Using my existing Dinan sway bars set to full soft as well as Ground Control camber plates. The rates above provide the following ride frequencies : 1.79hz / 1.82hz, which in turn still provide a bit of "flat ride" with no pitch (no headrest whaling in the back of the head!)

I've lowered the car 0.5 inches front and rear to allow for proper suspension travel and used the bumpstops that come in the Dinan HAS kit which are BMW M5 stock bumpstops I believe. I'll have to get the part numbers on those...they are 0.5" shorter than stock M2 bumpstops , which with a 0.5" drop allow for the same suspension travel (bumpstop to shock body clearance).

I suppose if one had a Dinan HAS KIT or any HAS KIT one could do the same.

The ride quality thus far is very good with very good initial turn in. Steering is precise and the car feels well balanced. I'm working on a revised DSC Sport calibration file to accommodate the higher rate, one nice thing about DSC sport is there's no more turning knobs which I'm really enjoying not getting those weird looks by people climbing under the car in random public places! Actually laying under a car one time adjusting the rear rebound for thousand time on a set of MPS I was asked if I was alive...I guess it looked like I had gotten backed over! Fun times! Now I can sit in air conditioning and upload a revise file with 3 different test maps to the controller in 27 seconds and test them back to back. I'll follow up with some pictures.

Added a selfless pic from the last Autox first time testing the DSC SPORT / EDC, stock M2 spring combo. Got a Fancy Trophy "cup", which I use as a shot glass for the beer. :
Attached Images

04-14-2019, 02:15 AM   #5
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 328d Wagon, M2 Comp, i4 eD35

Garage List
Cool plots! The F8x EDC dampers are a lot more digressive than the F3x Tenneco EDC dampers (more linear). The Tenneco front has pretty even compression/rebound, but the rear is rebound biased. I need to get a spare set of cables to hack up to measure what voltage and current the car typically feeds the dampers so I can dyno them with a power supply to see "real world" conditions.
Appreciate 1
jetbill196.50
      04-16-2019, 04:47 PM   #6
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

This is just awesome!

Can you elaborate a little more. Since DSCsport doesn't offer their module yet for the F80 M3/4 EDC you are using their cables to run their controller on the F87 M2?

Is the install complicated on the M2?

Are you planning on using lowering springs like eibachs or KW HAS kits?

Last edited by swifty; 04-17-2019 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2019, 07:50 AM   #7
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Edited to add some testing with a HAS kit and standard linear coil over springs ! Absolutely loving this thus far.
      04-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #8
jetbill
Captain
Rep

[QUOTE=swifty;24663542]This is just awesome!

Can you elaborate a little more. Since DSCsport doesn't offer their module yet for the F80 M3/4 EDC you are using their cables to run their controller on the F87 M2?
Correct, its the standalone sysem

Is the install complicated on the M2?
I didnt think so..but I've done it more than few times..wiring up everything wasn't too bad but you'll need to wire through the firewall in an existing grommet on the driver side and drill through for each rear shock

Are you planning on using lowering springs like eibachs or KW HAS kits?
Yes sir, see the update..GC HAS with standard linear springs but any HAS would work made for the F8X cars that maintain proper ride height clearances to bump stops... /QUOTE]
      04-20-2019, 04:41 PM   #9
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Very impressive stuff but I’m wondering why you didn’t consider KW’s DDC?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2019, 05:21 PM   #10
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
Very impressive stuff but I’m wondering why you didn’t consider KW’s DDC?
That's a good question. At one point or another I probably did consider them until I saw the price and availability in the US etc.

Priced out of my budget and I'm not sure you'd be able to compare the two systems. The DDC is probably a good product but for over $4k that's KW clubsport territory and I've had the Clubsports already.

I do like the idea of the DDC if it had the capability the DSC sport system has in terms of user adjustability. I think I'd like to try one , one day.
      04-22-2019, 09:17 AM   #11
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

How did you find the Clubsports out of curiosity?

Here’s a vid showing DDC on the M2:
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 12:10 AM   #12
qmp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 15F80

Jeremy@DSC Sport mention your project on my visit today. This is awesome and so outside the box thinking.

Did you have to retrofit the connections between the OE shocks and DSC harness?

Racer20 has been an asset on my suspension project and I hope to get him behind the wheel soon for a thorough review.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 01:45 AM   #13
swifty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80, Levante & Tesla 100D

Has DSC confirmed if they'll add a tractive option for the M2?
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #14
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by qmp View Post
Jeremy@DSC Sport mention your project on my visit today. This is awesome and so outside the box thinking.

Did you have to retrofit the connections between the OE shocks and DSC harness?

Racer20 has been an assist on my suspension project and I hope to get him behind the wheel soon for a thorough review.
ya know... your post partially influenced me pulling the trigger on this crazy little project, then i saw racer20's info on the shock dynos for the stock edc shocks and thought...we'll this could work.

Without Racer20 support i likely would be helpless. We are great-full to have him as a resource, he is a professional engineer willing to share...

Once DSC get's full integration to BMW's canbus (flexray) it will be a game changer...the Porsche guys have been using this stuff since at least 2014, with i believe was the first integration of this controller in its early stages going back to 2005.. but i could be wrong.

In terms of the wiring , i just cut the SA kit's plug off and wired it to the factory edc plug, solder and heat shrink. I believe this is what DSC /TPC does on the systems they use for Rally Racing.

Last edited by jetbill; 04-23-2019 at 04:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 04:14 PM   #15
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by swifty View Post
Has DSC confirmed if they'll add a tractive option for the M2?
Good question, i cant speak for DSC but im sure the kit they already have for the F80 would be fine....they're are some notable minor changes from the F80 to the F87 in the rear...you can see this is why the Ohlins R&T system is slightly different shock body lengths in the rear...but very minor.

Atm, the tractive stuff is out of my measly little budget (spent too much $$ on shock dyno's )otherwise I'd be all over it without a doubt....

It would be nice for Jeremy or Tom from DSC to chime in but I'm not sure they're active on this forum.... yet.

Last edited by jetbill; 04-23-2019 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #16
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetbill View Post
It would be nice for Jeremy or Tom from DSC to chime in but I'm not sure they're active on this forum.... yet.
DSC had someone on the forum last year (DSCsportJeremy), but I think he got banned because they didn't pay to become a forum sponsor. I wonder what magic they could work on the F3x Tenneco EDC dampers...

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 07:15 AM   #17
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Never even thought about the Tenneco EDC dampers which are on a good amount of DHP cars, specifically the M235. I had a new F30 335 I ordered a while back specifically for the DHP package with the Tenneco EDC dampers, then added the Dinan springs and Dinan Shockware and was good.

At one point i disconnected all of the shocks to install coilovers, any i noticed that they went full stiff (normally closed solenoid internally) and still felt good at full stiff (0.0Amps).

Last edited by jetbill; 04-24-2019 at 09:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2019, 10:48 AM   #18
FaRKle!
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Never even thought about the Tenneco EDC dampers which are on a good amount of DHP cars, specifically the M235. I had a new F30 335 I ordered a while back specifically for the DHP package with the Tenneco EDC dampers, then added the Dinan springs and Dinan Shockware and was good.

At one point i disconnected all of the shocks to install coilovers, any i noticed that they went full stiff (normally closed solenoid internally) and still felt good at full stiff (0.0Amps).
I've dyno'd the Tennecos with no power (full stiff), and am working on being able to measure the voltage and current the car sends them in comfort and sport modes so I can dyno them again in their actual "operational" ranges.

I tried driving around with them unplugged and body control was excellent, however bumps were quite harsh!

Please don't PM me for suspension recommendations unless interested in paid private consultations.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2019, 09:04 AM   #19
e30uteJeremy
Registered
Rep
Drives: 87 BMW 325is UTE, M50 Turbo

Hey Guys!

Chiming in on jetbill awesome thread, after Bills fantastic discovery of the M3 OEM EDC dampers being compatible for the M2, there is always the opportunity for someone to take the leap to Tractive RT dampers on their M2 based on Bills experience currently. Thanks to Bill, qmp, and DSC Sport, the BMW community has the opportunity to go active on vehicles BMW neglected.

The DSC Sport SA kit I am planning one day to install on my e30 with Tractive RT dampers to test my theory for drifting with active electronic suspension and the versatility what can be accomplished. There is no comparison to the DSC Sport active suspension system technology to any traditional passive coilover suspension in the market IMO. Many may argue and stick with their past passive ways, but technology is always advancing and why ignore this technological advancement when it has been proven to be successful in many different examples.

I am excited for the BMW community because this opportunity has been long overdue. I feel I needed to chime in because this opens up a vast amount of possibilities for MANY different BMW models including my own thanks to the DSC Sport SA kit.

I am sure for the Tennecos the same can be accomplished with the DSC Sport SA kit as long as the shocks are dynoed to confirm their operational range and mA value. For all we know, they could be very similar to the OEM EDC M3 Dampers...but only one way to find out!

Look forward to more on this thread as we all progress on BMW active suspension development!

Cheers!

Jeremy
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
jetbill196.50
      05-08-2019, 07:38 AM   #20
jakeg104
Rep
Drives: 11 458, 91M3, 986BoxS

jetbill, this thread gives me hope!

I live in Houston, which should be known as having the worst roads in the US, might be a contender for the worst in the world when it comes to major Metropolitan areas.

Drove a M2, absolutely LOVED the car; the size, the look, the wheelbase. Felt a lot like the e30M3 that is playing daily driver currently, except for the way the car behaved over bad roads.

You confirmed my instincts, which is that the springs felt linear up front; the way the whole car would dive/dip into a bump vs the actual wheel articulating into the road...

It is literally the only thing keeping me from getting one. Getting beat up every day on the road isn't fun..

Researched quite a bit online, most folks recommend the Dinan setup to help ease the behavior, but that setup is still linear springs with manual adjustments (as you had said, time will be spent under the car, with panicked bystanders wondering if i got run over!). Not sure if this is the way to go, at least for me.

This hybrid setup of using a F8X M3 EDC damper with DSC Sport controller could be the solution. I looked into the company in earnest for my 997.2S, really seem to be passionate about what they do.

Car will spend 90% on Houston roads, 10% at the track (typically COTA), so priority will be on comfort and how the car can handle undulations on the road.

A few questions for you-

1. Ideally, for daily usage, i think front and rear Progressive springs will be the way to go. Do you know if the F8X M3 springs up front are progressive or linear? If they are progressive, do you know if they would fit in the M2?

2. Same for the rear F8X M3 springs. Do you know the spring rate and whether they are a bolt on to the M2? Assuming its progressive as well?

2. The rear spring rates for all the brands you tested seem really high. I remember many years ago setting up a e36M3 for track use, and we got Ground Control Coilovers with 450/650 spring rates and that rear felt like rock, with no give. Are all the manufacturers using higher spring rates in the rear due to the car's relative weight?

3. The MPS Suspension- Pictures of the system online 'seem' to suggest that the front springs are progressive (they usually are fatter in the middle, no?), so its interesting to see that your findings actually point to them being linear.

Thanks again for all the research you have done and for sharing this valuable info!
Attached Images

05-09-2019, 06:53 AM   #21
jetbill
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeg104 View Post

I live in Houston, which should be known as having the worst roads in the US, might be a contender for the worst in the world when it comes to major Metropolitan areas.

Drove a M2, absolutely LOVED the car; the size, the look, the wheelbase. Felt a lot like the e30M3 that is playing daily driver currently, except for the way the car behaved over bad roads.

You confirmed my instincts, which is that the springs felt linear up front; the way the whole car would dive/dip into a bump vs the actual wheel articulating into the road...

It is literally the only thing keeping me from getting one. Getting beat up every day on the road isn't fun..

Researched quite a bit online, most folks recommend the Dinan setup to help ease the behavior, but that setup is still linear springs with manual adjustments (as you had said, time will be spent under the car, with panicked bystanders wondering if i got run over!). Not sure if this is the way to go, at least for me.

This hybrid setup of using a F8X M3 EDC damper with DSC Sport controller could be the solution. I looked into the company in earnest for my 997.2S, really seem to be passionate about what they do.

Car will spend 90% on Houston roads, 10% at the track (typically COTA), so priority will be on comfort and how the car can handle undulations on the road.

A few questions for you-

1. Ideally, for daily usage, i think front and rear Progressive springs will be the way to go. Do you know if the F8X M3 springs up front are progressive or linear? If they are progressive, do you know if they would fit in the M2?

2. Same for the rear F8X M3 springs. Do you know the spring rate and whether they are a bolt on to the M2? Assuming its progressive as well?

2. The rear spring rates for all the brands you tested seem really high. I remember many years ago setting up a e36M3 for track use, and we got Ground Control Coilovers with 450/650 spring rates and that rear felt like rock, with no give. Are all the manufacturers using higher spring rates in the rear due to the car's relative weight?

3. The MPS Suspension- Pictures of the system online 'seem' to suggest that the front springs are progressive (they usually are fatter in the middle, no?), so its interesting to see that your findings actually point to them being linear.

Thanks again for all the research you have done and for sharing this valuable info!
Hi Jakeg, I've asked Racer20 to plug into this to help when he has some time, I'm far from a suspension engineer.

1/2: The M3/4 springs are close to the same rates , a bit less and linear front and rear. M2 rates are definitely higher up front. Not sure if spring rates would help in your situation, sounds like more of a byproduct of damper tuning / bump stops , tires...
3: Higher rear rates are a byproduct of wheel rates derived from the motion ratio, plus a small percentage to create "flat ride" and alleviate pitch front to rear.
4: I've seen linear springs look like progressive , barrel shaped etc. one other example of this might be Swift Spec R lowering springs.

Interesting about your track experience at COTA- first time out there about a few months ago attending the Carrera's of the America's and it was awesome. Quite a contrast to my home track (Sebring). I did run into a few individuals that were running DSC Sport in a few Porsche's. Ahhh the glazing over they're eyes when I told him about retrofitting the system into an M2.
Attached Images

05-10-2019, 01:38 PM   #22
jakeg104
Rep
Drives: 11 458, 91M3, 986BoxS

Quote:
Quote:

A few questions for you-

Hi Jakeg, I've asked Racer20 to plug into this to help when he has some time, I'm far from a suspension engineer.

1/2: The M3/4 springs are close to the same rates , a bit less and linear front and rear. M2 rates are definitely higher up front. Not sure if spring rates would help in your situation, sounds like more of a byproduct of damper tuning / bump stops , tires...
3: Higher rear rates are a byproduct of wheel rates derived from the motion ratio, plus a small percentage to create "flat ride" and alleviate pitch front to rear.
4: I've seen linear springs look like progressive , barrel shaped etc. one other example of this might be Swift Spec R lowering springs.

Interesting about your track experience at COTA- first time out there about a few months ago attending the Carrera's of the America's and it was awesome. Quite a contrast to my home track (Sebring). I did run into a few individuals that were running DSC Sport in a few Porsche's. Ahhh the glazing over they're eyes when I told him about retrofitting the system into an M2.
Quote:
Quote:

A few questions for you-

Awesome info, thanks!! Good point on the other factors that need to be played with. I might also go drive a m2 comp, reading that it's a bit more compliant on the roads. Your retrofit still seems like the best of all worlds; would just need to play with spring choices, tire sizes (18" wheels)..
looking forward to hearing Racer20 input as well!