BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > M2C - Removal of OPF and Limp mode coding out

03-20-2019, 03:16 PM   #1
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi guys,

Being from the UK we have to endure the OPF filter within the M2C exhaust coming as standard.

I'm interested in swapping the exhaust to a full system from the downpipes back. This will obviously entail removal of the OPF which I believe will then throw up a fault and put the car into limp mode.

I'm considering a BM3 tune and was wondering if this will clear this fault. If so would I need to map the car remotely at the shop after fitting the exhaust or will the tune prevent the fault if it's mapped prior to exhaust change?

Just looking for possible solutions to this issue as I'd like to change out the stock exhaust right after RIS is complete.

Thanks in advance.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 04:39 PM   #2
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

This is very much the position I’m in. RIS due next week. The OPF’s are coming off! Once you’ve heard the M3/4’s then keeping the stock midpipe (source of silencing) isn’t really worthwhile.

BM3 seems to be the best option. I’ve asked various well-known UK tuners and prices vary from £600 through £2k plus depending on just removing the OPF sensors from the software, through to stage 1 tuning 500hp+.

From what I’ve read, BM3 OEM CS tune doesn’t look for the OPF sensors so can be good to go. Alternatively, you can raise a ticket with PTF and they will be able to apply a fix to delete the OPF software from whichever map you choose.

I’d be happy 460hp (CS) map in all honesty. Just anything to get rid of those filters...

Edit: make sure to remove the OPF’s from the ECU before changing the exhaust. Once the filters are removed, any WOT over 5k causes limp mode.
Appreciate 1
DazC902.00
      03-20-2019, 11:33 PM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
This is very much the position I'm in. RIS due next week. The OPF's are coming off! Once you've heard the M3/4's then keeping the stock midpipe (source of silencing) isn't really worthwhile.

BM3 seems to be the best option. I've asked various well-known UK tuners and prices vary from £600 through £2k plus depending on just removing the OPF sensors from the software, through to stage 1 tuning 500hp+.

From what I've read, BM3 OEM CS tune doesn't look for the OPF sensors so can be good to go. Alternatively, you can raise a ticket with PTF and they will be able to apply a fix to delete the OPF software from whichever map you choose.

I'd be happy 460hp (CS) map in all honesty. Just anything to get rid of those filters...

Edit: make sure to remove the OPF's from the ECU before changing the exhaust. Once the filters are removed, any WOT over 5k causes limp mode.
Thanks for the reply.

So essentially you'll need to map the car to the CS map for example prior to fitting the full system exhaust?

This would then tide you over until an effective and cost efficient mapping solution is found?

Such a bloody hassle compared to our friends across the pond.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:21 AM   #4
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Any map that disables the sensors effectively. But if you’re doing that, you may as well map for performance as well.

Very much a nuisance but what can you do! 😕
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #5
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_BMW View Post
Any map that disables the sensors effectively. But if you’re doing that, you may as well map for performance as well.

Very much a nuisance but what can you do!
Yeah if the CS map is 460hp I'm sure that would do meantime.

Do you raise a ticket to Pro tuning freaks to have the OPF delete added to the Stage 1 map for instance? Is this something you intend to do?

Thanks for your help btw!
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 05:16 AM   #6
Josh_G
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

From what i have read from BM3 none of the M2C OTS maps remove the OPF warnings just the DP CATs. If you decide to remove the OPF you need to ask BM3 to add the OPF sensor removal from the map.they can do this on any of the maps even the standard one.

I'm currently running Stage 1 OTS map from BM3 and it is night and day from the standard car.

when i finally decide to pull the trigger on a turbo back exhaust i will get the BM3 guys to adjust the map to remove the OPF warnings and limp mode
Appreciate 1
DazC902.00
      03-21-2019, 06:04 AM   #7
Billy_BMW
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Josh do you have the OPF’s still on your car? If so, do you still get the “full power available shortly” message on cold start?

Daz, precisely. But I’ll be sticking to the CS map initially. I don’t need more than that in all honesty. Maybe later down the line, I may consider the higher tunes. The dreaded ‘crank hub’ is still causing some pause for thought.
Appreciate 1
DazC902.00
      03-22-2019, 05:38 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You don't absolutely have to remap before returning removing OPF. Just take it easy if it's not convenient. Get an OBD fault reader / clearer.

I'm replacing OPF with mid cats (milltek) so I can remove primary cats later on. I'll be tssting to see what / how different fault codes come up and remap accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2019, 01:35 AM   #9
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You don't absolutely have to remap before returning removing OPF. Just take it easy if it's not convenient. Get an OBD fault reader / clearer.

I'm replacing OPF with mid cats (milltek) so I can remove primary cats later on. I'll be tssting to see what / how different fault codes come up and remap accordingly.
I'm thinking of the Milltek full race system. Had it on my M4 CP and found it great value for money and the quality and sound was spot on.

Do keep me posted on your findings. Will be keen to hear how you get on.
Lotus Emira (on order)
Appreciate 0