BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ceramic coating for alloys

02-03-2019, 12:36 PM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Ceramic coating for alloys

Can anyone recommend some good ceramic coating brands that can be used on alloy wheels? I saw Joe Achilles talk about this (he applied it to his new wheels) and he talked about it helping to prevent brake dust sticking to the wheels, or something like that. If anyone has applied ceramic coating to their wheels and can highlight the benefits it would be good to hear.

Cheers,

Karl
      02-03-2019, 04:15 PM   #2
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

All the major ceramic coating brands have wheel specific coatings. They don't prevent brake dust from sticking to the car they just make cleanup much MUCH easier. It's important to keep your expectations in check.

I have my wheels coated and maintenance washes are so quick and easy now. I just use a brush and standard car shampoo. Takes me just a few minutes now compared to no coating. blowdrying is also much better with the coating on.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 03:54 AM   #3
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nioh_lbbm2 View Post
All the major ceramic coating brands have wheel specific coatings. They don't prevent brake dust from sticking to the car they just make cleanup much MUCH easier. It's important to keep your expectations in check.

I have my wheels coated and maintenance washes are so quick and easy now. I just use a brush and standard car shampoo. Takes me just a few minutes now compared to no coating. blowdrying is also much better with the coating on.
Ok great, thanks for the input. I'll do some research on this.
      02-04-2019, 10:08 AM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Gtechniq! I am getting mine done with their product, called C5 Wheel Armour.

MR
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      02-04-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
Cheers Marc, I will take a look
      02-16-2019, 12:19 AM   #6
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post

MR
Cheers Marc, I will take a look
Marc,

The reviews on the C5 Wheel Armour sounds good, especially it's resistance to higher temperatures.

Do you have any idea how much of the liquid will be needed to coat all 4 wheels? Will you be applying two applications also?

Thanks,

Karl
      02-20-2019, 06:01 AM   #7
Bruuuce
the me
Rep
Drives: 01ZCoupe, 08M3Coupe, 21M2C

I did the entire car, and wheels, with the McKees37 products. Very easy to use. I pulled the wheels and did the entire wheel off the car. There is still brake dust, but doesn't feel like as much as before the coating. Very subjective though, I did them almost new.

Overall the car feels clean most of the time with very few washes to keep it up. Vs me washing the a car every week to two, now its every couple months at the most.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      02-20-2019, 08:30 AM   #8
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruuuce View Post
I did the entire car, and wheels, with the McKees37 products. Very easy to use. I pulled the wheels and did the entire wheel off the car. There is still brake dust, but doesn't feel like as much as before the coating. Very subjective though, I did them almost new.

Overall the car feels clean most of the time with very few washes to keep it up. Vs me washing the a car every week to two, now its every couple months at the most.
I've bought some Gtechnic C5 now. As I bought some separate 763M alloys (currently in a spare room) I'll be applying the C5 to those as soon as it arrives. Need to buy a few other bits to help apply the coat in the most effective way.

Car is getting a front end PPF and all over ceramic coating after it arrives anyway 👍🏻