BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Winter Euro Delivery, take a chance summer rubber?

02-03-2019, 09:36 AM   #1
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Picking up next week, weather is mid 40s and above freezing @ nights for the week

Just take delivery, give it a hug then go straight to the car rental place? or it's ok with temps above freezing (no snow)

Note: I'm going with my son and dad, 3 generations going to Germany the first time

Note: I looked at a video with summer tires on @ freezing temps, low to no traction

Rental wheel set NOT available on M2C just yet, (big brakes)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #2
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Picking up next week, weather is mid 40s and above freezing @ nights for the week

Just take delivery, give it a hug, after go straight to the car rental place? or it's ok with temps above freezing (no snow)

Note: I'm going with my son and dad, 3 generations going to Germany the first time

Note: I looked at a video with summer tires on @ freezing temps, low to no traction

Rental wheel set NOT available on M2C just yet, (big brakes)
I just spent the week in Bavaria and wouldn't suggest it. In fact my ED is 2/15 and I'm not. We had two snow days which weren't fully forecast. And it was cold. Of course YMMV. (posting from a Boeing 787 over Nova Scotia)
      02-03-2019, 10:16 AM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Personally with that forecast I would take it and avoid the mountains and do most of my driving during the daytime hours (or at least minimizing late night or crack of dawn driving). Of course driving sensibly. I would also keep an eye on the forecast. If the goal is to go to the Alps and stuff like that then I would rent a car. Just my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #4
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Personally with that forecast I would take it and avoid the mountains and do most of my driving during the daytime hours (or at least minimizing late night or crack of dawn driving). I would also keep an eye on the forecast. If the goal is to go to the Alps and stuff like that then I would rent a car.
Salzburg 1 day and the Disney castle? Both 2 hours'ish from Munich

No mountain passes, no Nuremberg (closed) just beer, bratwurst and tall blondes in Germany/Austria (itinerary)

My son is 13 (gummie bear store) father is 60 (restaurants) with shitty weather can't do much, just the Miller men going together on a trip will be memorable

Maybe a combination, drive 1 day around Munich (low speed) then rental for the day trips
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:26 AM   #5
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

You should be OK with conservative daytime driving at lower elevations as long as it doesn't snow. If I remember correctly BMW recommends winter tires for safety and insurance coverage. That means if you wreck a car without winter tires you may be responsible for repairs. I don't believe that it's technically legal to drive this time of year without winter tires there. I'd do my homework concerning insurance liability.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 11:38 AM   #6
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
You should be OK with conservative daytime driving at lower elevations as long as it doesn't snow. If I remember correctly BMW recommends winter tires for safety and insurance coverage. That means if you wreck the car without winter tires you may be responsible for repairs. I don't believe that it's technically legal to drive this time of year without winter tires there. I'd do my homework concerning insurance liability.
Last week weather forecast was colder for delivery week, now looks like a bit more mild

I'm still on the fence, yes my insurance will be void but I'm not planning on fast driving (60% cars ability) just driving on German roads in our M2 will be memorable

keep in mind I'm from Massachusetts, we have cookouts in March 40 degree days (shorts and hoodies)
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 04:35 PM   #7
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
You should be OK with conservative daytime driving at lower elevations as long as it doesn't snow. If I remember correctly BMW recommends winter tires for safety and insurance coverage. That means if you wreck a car without winter tires you may be responsible for repairs. I don't believe that it's technically legal to drive this time of year without winter tires there. I'd do my homework concerning insurance liability.

It is legal, at least in Germany. The law is written that it is only illegal when road conditions are poor/icy. In those cases is when I would bet insurance coverage would be dicey. However if you are not breaking the law and driving during non wintry conditions, it would be difficult to see how insurance would not cover. But definitely worth reading the terms of the insurance.
Appreciate 1
skiparock182.50
      02-03-2019, 05:01 PM   #8
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

What is considered bad weather? Literally snow and ice? I'm more worried about driving to the castle and Salzburg (elevation)

do I really want to drive 120 miles out then be nervous on the road @ night not fish tailing or skidding off exit ramps?

Btw: I've driven in Barcelona, Rome, Paris lots of major city's in Europe, Euro roads remind me of Boston USA (small) windy and lots of rotaries (roundabouts) I'm also from a cold climate driving in bad weather sometimes is white knuckle but doable

Issue is a high performance rwd car on summer rubber on non snowy roads but cold temps 45-35 degrees with 50% rain, will it feel like driving on wooden wheels?

My 6th Bmw but all had xdrive, never thought twice about safety on a winter drive 330xi 528xi 328xi X5 and another X5
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:18 PM   #9
five3three
Major
Rep

Quote:
What is considered bad weather? Literally snow and ice? I'm more worried about driving to the castle and Salzburg (elevation)

do I really want to drive 120 miles out then be nervous on the road @ night not fish tailing or skidding off exit ramps?

Btw: I've driven in Barcelona, Rome, Paris lots of major city's in Europe, Euro roads remind me of Boston USA (small) windy and lots of rotaries (roundabouts) I'm also from a cold climate driving in bad weather sometimes is white knuckle but doable

Issue is a high performance rwd car on summer rubber on non snowy roads but cold temps 45-35 degrees with 50% rain, will it feel like driving on wooden wheels?

My 6th Bmw but all had xdrive, never thought twice about safety on a winter drive 330xi 528xi 328xi X5 and another X5
Specifically icy conditions. I personally wouldn't go anywhere with elevation and risk it when weather could be hard to predict. I wouId however drive around town and possibly to other cities such as Frankfurt if the weather permitted. I've done winters with summer tires in the past and they are horrendous with any ice or snow.

I am not familiar with Austrian laws so not sure how that reads.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 05:46 PM   #10
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Quote:

Specifically icy conditions. I personally wouldn't go anywhere with elevation and risk it when weather could be hard to predict. I wouId however drive around town and possibly to other cities such as Frankfurt if the weather permitted. I've done winters with summer tires in the past and they are horrendous with any ice or snow.

I am not familiar with Austrian laws so not sure how that reads.
Fu*k it, every time I take a chance I get burned, I can see myself next week careful about speed, engine break in, checking weather, asking questions about road conditions, I have enough stress in my life I want to enjoy my trip

Renting a big fat luxury all wheel drive sedan, not caring about parking or wear n tear
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      02-03-2019, 06:00 PM   #11
five3three
Major
Rep

sounds like a good plan! enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 09:56 AM   #12
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

I just did ED mid Jan, I rented a M2C from BMW Welt and I didn't need to. It didn't snow/rain for my 3 days driving around Munich, Stuttgart, Salzburg, Berchtesgaden but it's a big gamble whether there's a random snow storm. BMW told me the ED insurance is void if you crash on summer tires and there's snow/ice on the ground. If I knew it was going to be dry the whole time I would have just driven my own car. I drive my car on summer tires all the time in Dallas in the winter when it's dry and 28-35 degrees.

The rental M2C's at the welt are all DCT, sunroof, small brakes, non M seats.

The only advantage is that I was cruising at 240 kph many times on the autobahn since there's no break in requirements on the rental car.

Last edited by CosmosMpower; 02-04-2019 at 10:13 AM..
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      02-04-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
I just did ED mid Jan, I rented a car from BMW Welt and I didn't need to. It didn't snow/rain for my 3 days driving around but it's a big gamble whether there's a random snow storm. BMW told me the ED insurance is void if you crash on summer tires. The rental M2C's at the welt are all DCT, sunroof, small brakes, non M seats.
TBD, my son told me just put all traction on, drive like I'm taking grandma to church with trays of lasagna in the back, break in period in effect so at best weather conditions I wouldn't drive above 80% power anyway

arriving the day before delivery, so I have time on the ground to decide
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2019, 07:53 PM   #14
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Be safe and keep your family safe. Have the folks at the Welt deliver your car to the drop off point in Munich. It's cheap - something like $75. Then rent something you can feel safe in during the winter season. High performance summer tires have terrible traction below 45 degrees, not to mention that the tires themselves are "green". Go rent an AWD 5er and be happy.
      02-04-2019, 08:21 PM   #15
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich8566 View Post
Be safe and keep your family safe. Have the folks at the Welt deliver your car to the drop off point in Munich. It's cheap - something like $75. Then rent something you can feel safe in during the winter season. High performance summer tires have terrible traction below 45 degrees, not to mention that the tires themselves are "green". Go rent an AWD 5er and be happy.
It's 85 euros, cash only for the truck carrier from Welt to the port.
rich8566608.50
      02-04-2019, 08:48 PM   #16
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Rodger that,

My father said don't mess with it, let's eat @ 5 places a day, buy junk and see pretty girls

Let's not worry about asphalt surface temps, let josh sit in the car take some pics, ship it on the carrier to the port 70 euro (wheels off the ground)

3 generations on a guy trip should not be concerned about making the nightly news, "American tourists ate the guard rail"

when my josh is 16, going back in September 2022! (Both birthdays same time as OctoberFest)
Appreciate 1
rich8566608.50
      02-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #17
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Rodger that,

My father said don't mess with it, let's eat @ 5 places a day, buy junk and see pretty girls

Let's not worry about asphalt surface temps, let josh sit in the car take some pics, ship it on the carrier to the port 70 euro (wheels off the ground)

3 generations on a guy trip should not be concerned about making the nightly news, "American tourists ate the guard rail"

when my josh is 16, going back in September 2022! (Both birthdays same time as OctoberFest)
You'll love the experience. We've done 4 EDs and one PCD. Enjoy.
      02-05-2019, 09:29 PM   #18
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I took my M2 w/ BM3 Stg1 tune out in 10F temps with 2-3" of snow on the road last week... Conti 5P summer tires. Had to be real light on the gas, only giving it 10% or so or else the tires would spin, and make sure I had enough momentum to get up hills and to slow down early going down hills... So yea, glad you decided not to risk it in a different country.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:34 AM   #19
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
TBD, my son told me just put all traction on, drive like I'm taking grandma to church with trays of lasagna in the back, break in period in effect so at best weather conditions I wouldn't drive above 80% power anyway

arriving the day before delivery, so I have time on the ground to decide
Might be worth it to go ahead and reserve a car with BMW on demand, you don't pay till you get there.

Even with TC on if there's snow and ice on the ground you're probably going to get into a bad situation even driving 50% on summer tires. If it looks completely dry I think you'll be fine but YMMV.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #20
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Rodger that,

Not a lot of pretty girls in Germany, but at least almost none of them are fat and almost all of them are tall. I'd say the average for German women is 5'7" at least and most are skinny.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
It's 85 euros, cash only for the truck carrier from Welt to the port.
It's about a 25 min drive from Welt to the LogInOut at the airport. It's about a 70 Euro taxi ride as well so if the weather isn't bad it's an easy 25 min drive on highways and you save about 175 bucks.

I took delivery of my M2C, left it underground at the Welt parking garage, took my rental M2C out for the weekend then returned to Welt to drop off my rental and then drove my own car to the Airport/dropoff area Sun night late
Appreciate 1
NEfan5082658.50
      02-06-2019, 11:44 AM   #22
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Quote:
Rodger that,

Not a lot of pretty girls in Germany, but at least almost none of them are fat and almost all of them are tall. I'd say the average for German women is 5'7" at least and most are skinny.
Compared to Massachusetts I don't think we will have a problem

Denise Aka ZaZoo #Snl
Attached Images

Appreciate 0