BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Front grill replacement issue - tabs

01-29-2019, 08:50 PM   #1
Tazer999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 DCT

Front grill replacement issue - tabs

I've tried for quite awhile now, and after removing the old grills, I just can't seem to get the new ones to fully clip in. I can get a few clips on each grill engaged, but the bottoms just won't go! Anybody else run into this? Any tricks to get them to fully engage? I feel like if I push any harder I will end up caving in the bumper or breaking a grill slat.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:14 PM   #2
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer999 View Post
I've tried for quite awhile now, and after removing the old grills, I just can't seem to get the new ones to fully clip in. I can get a few clips on each grill engaged, but the bottoms just won't go! Anybody else run into this? Any tricks to get them to fully engage? I feel like if I push any harder I will end up caving in the bumper or breaking a grill slat.
I had the same problem, very frustrating, took me longer to get the bottom tabs snapped in than to remove the grilles. I think having the temperature warm might help. Eventually got them to engage with one hand in behind to supply pressure and wiggle, push from the front. Had a buddy to hold the fender away made a difference. Not not not as easy as the IND video suggests!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2019, 11:34 PM   #3
Tazer999
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2 DCT

I have spent way longer trying to clip them back in than I spent taking them out. Taking them out was fairly easy once I figured out how to position my hands (although I do have small forearms which really helps here), maybe 20 minutes.

It was -2 in my garage when I did it. Maybe I'll let it sit in a heated garage one of these nights and try again the next day. Having someone to hold the bumper away would likely really help also.

Thanks for the hope that they will still clip in. Maybe I will try the mirror caps at the same time the. I make plenty of trips to Van, we will have to meet up sometime in the spring. There isn't any other M2's around here that I have seen.
Appreciate 1
      01-30-2019, 12:22 AM   #4
necoblitz
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Sapphire Metal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tazer999 View Post
I have spent way longer trying to clip them back in than I spent taking them out. Taking them out was fairly easy once I figured out how to position my hands (although I do have small forearms which really helps here), maybe 20 minutes.

It was -2 in my garage when I did it. Maybe I'll let it sit in a heated garage one of these nights and try again the next day. Having someone to hold the bumper away would likely really help also.

Thanks for the hope that they will still clip in. Maybe I will try the mirror caps at the same time the. I make plenty of trips to Van, we will have to meet up sometime in the spring. There isn't any other M2's around here that I have seen.
For sure, I think warmer will definitely help. can also try a hairdryer to warm the plastic but sitting in a warm garage overnight would probably help. But worth the effort, I put the CF grilles in but black or CF a major improvement to the front end.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0