BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Clicking noise when releasing clutch

07-20-2021, 08:03 PM   #1
meeeeks
Private
Rep
Drives: '19 PB X3 M40i // '18 BSM M2

Clicking noise when releasing clutch

Hey guys,

I started this thread in another section, but probably belongs here.

I just bought a used '18 M2 with 2400 miles on it from a BMW dealer yesterday. Everything has been fine except…

Today during a drive to a ppf/tint shop I started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking/ticking sound.

Once the clutch is fully engaged it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal and I'm just worrying over nothing? (My previous manual car never did this though so…..yeah)

Here's a video of the noise -

I put it into 1st from N and then slowly let out the clutch (releasing extra slow in the vid) as I would if moving from stand still/in traffic, etc. and as the clutch is trying to engage it is making that clicking (rattling?) noise. Same thing when going in reverse and I think going 1st to 2nd? (Harder to tell with the 1>2 shift). But seems like anytime clutch is slightly riding/slipping/going slow speeds or something.

Any idea what it could be?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
meeeeks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeeeks View Post
Hey guys,

I started this thread in another section, but probably belongs here.

I just bought a used '18 M2 with 2400 miles on it from a BMW dealer yesterday. Everything has been fine except…

Today during a drive to a ppf/tint shop I started to pay attention to one particular noise that worries me a little. Let's say I am at full stop, clutch pressed and first gear in. Ready to go. Then, I start moving slowly by accelerating softly and releasing the clutch gently. This is a typical situation when parking, at traffic lights in the city, in a traffic jam, etc. The issue is that when I am releasing the clutch while accelerating, and the car starts to move, I can hear a fast paced rythmic clicking/ticking sound.

Once the clutch is fully engaged it is not audible anymore, so you can only hear it when you start to move gently from full stop in first gear or when releasing the clutch in second gear when driving really slow. Basically, at urban driving when the engine starts pushing the car forward.

The clutch seems to be working completely fine. The car moves really smoothly. The pedal doesn't vibrate or make strange noises. Also, if I am in neutral and press and release the clutch, nothing strange happens, no noises or vibrations. So the only problem is... that strange noise when I am starting to move. It is not something very noticeable and I think it can't be heard from outside the car. Maybe it is something normal and I'm just worrying over nothing? (My previous manual car never did this though so…..yeah)

Here's a video of the noise -

I put it into 1st from N and then slowly let out the clutch (releasing extra slow in the vid) as I would if moving from stand still/in traffic, etc. and as the clutch is trying to engage it is making that clicking (rattling?) noise. Same thing when going in reverse and I think going 1st to 2nd? (Harder to tell with the 1>2 shift). But seems like anytime clutch is slightly riding/slipping/going slow speeds or something.

Any idea what it could be?
Found this video and looks like it might possibly be the same issue? But I only hear that ticking when I'm trying to engage in a gear though so yeah…

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2021, 11:06 PM   #3
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
I would say it's pretty normal, and don't let it irk ya…just drive it like you stole it (especially of you have an EL midpipe to wring it and let it scream to redline every once in a while).

Same happened to me: when clutch is engaged (pedal NOT pressed), clicking noise was existent. Disengaging the clutch (press clutch pedal in), noise went away.

Perfectly normal; Although not my first manual transmission car, this ///M car made me hyper aware…and took it to dealer, just in case. No issues found - some ticking is considered normal per the shop foreman (it will never be quiet like a Lexus LS460).

If you're still concerned, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. How many miles/yrs is your M2C, are you still in warranty ?
      07-21-2021, 11:12 PM   #4
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
PS that noise you heard is normally called "clutch chatter"…research it and you'll find tech description as to why it occurs in ALL MANUAL transmission cars, albeit some more pronounced than others

PPS the other vid of the subaru, well, that had a lot going for it, prolly multiple issues going on, and sounded nothing like your video.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry…just enjoy the car and don't go looking for issues (because you might find them,
      07-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #5
meeeeks
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
I would say it's pretty normal, and don't let it irk ya…just drive it like you stole it (especially of you have an EL midpipe to wring it and let it scream to redline every once in a while).

Same happened to me: when clutch is engaged (pedal NOT pressed), clicking noise was existent. Disengaging the clutch (press clutch pedal in), noise went away.

Perfectly normal; Although not my first manual transmission car, this ///M car made me hyper aware…and took it to dealer, just in case. No issues found - some ticking is considered normal per the shop foreman (it will never be quiet like a Lexus LS460).
Thanks for your insight! I only hear the ticking when slowly releasing and clutch is trying to engage/bite. When fully engaged I hear nothing so I guess that's a plus?

Quote:
If you're still concerned, take it to the dealer and have them check it out. How many miles/yrs is your M2C, are you still in warranty ?
It's actually an OG '18 M2. Bought it this past Monday with 2400 miles on the odometer and luckily it still has the manufacturer's limited warranty until 05/2022

Quote:
PS that noise you heard is normally called "clutch chatter"…research it and you'll find tech description as to why it occurs in ALL MANUAL transmission cars, albeit some more pronounced than others

PPS the other vid of the subaru, well, that had a lot going for it, prolly multiple issues going on, and sounded nothing like your video.

If I were you, I wouldn't worry…just enjoy the car and don't go looking for issues (because you might find them,
Yeah, I asked an old friend about it as well and he mentioned the same thing regarding clutch chatter.

Thanks again, really appreciate it! Time to go enjoy the car
Appreciate 0