02-07-2019, 10:22 AM   #1
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

M2 Comp insurance recommendations please

Afternoon all.

I am in the process of getting insurance quotes for my new M2C and have tried companies like SkyInsurance, Chris Knott, PerformanceDirect.co.uk, etc and I wanted to know if anyone can recommend some decent insurers who can cover modifications at a fair price.

I'm 39 next month with 9 years NCB and have had my license for 12/13 years. SkyInsurance called me back and said even they couldn't even find a quote for me, which is insane!

Cheers,

Karl
      02-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #2
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

No need for help on this now.
It seems the so called "performance car insurers" where you expect to get a better deal are actually highly overpriced compared to the larger and more well known insurers.
      02-08-2019, 02:49 AM   #3
Philb65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

LV seem to be one of the cheapest at the minute, which I’m sure you’ve found out.
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      02-08-2019, 03:22 AM   #4
Uzy00
G80 M3C
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G80C Toronto Red

I'm with admiral, they wanted an extra £149.12 for me to change my insurance from a 335d to the M2C. All in I'm paying £589.39 for the year
Appreciate 1
Karlosm2c290.50
      02-08-2019, 03:38 AM   #5
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Admiral multicar, Aviva and Elephant seem to be doing the best quotes for me. Elephant was the cheapest with the M2C coming out at £617 with mods and with my Merc costing £352, so under a grand for both. Performance Direct we're quoting £1200 for just the M2C. What a joke!!
      02-08-2019, 05:26 AM   #6
Uzy00
G80 M3C
Scotland
Rep
Drives: G80C Toronto Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Admiral multicar, Aviva and Elephant seem to be doing the best quotes for me. Elephant was the cheapest with the M2C coming out at £617 with mods and with my Merc costing £352, so under a grand for both. Performance Direct we're quoting £1200 for just the M2C. What a joke!!
I was quoted £1200 from the follow up sales guys at Arnold Clark.

Considering I have my licence clean for 12 years and no accidents.

I laughed at the guy on the phone.

As soon as they hear "M" "Competition", dollar signs appear
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 06:53 AM   #7
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uzy00 View Post
Quote:
I was quoted £1200 from the follow up sales guys at Arnold Clark.

Considering I have my licence clean for 12 years and no accidents.

I laughed at the guy on the phone.

As soon as they hear "M" "Competition", dollar signs appear
It's just pure greedy.
      02-08-2019, 06:57 AM   #8
AlexM666
Private
Rep
Drives: z4mc

Here is my insurance timeline for the last couple of years. 13+ years no claims.

Z4m - £ 399 per year

Z4m & eco boost Fiesta - £1150

Z4m, eco boost fiesta, M2 LCI - £1200

All of the above prices are from Admiral Insurance.

Now I just have the M2 and they have quoted £ 1900 for renewal....

Safe to say....I changed company....and im now with QuoteMeHappy for £1100 (which is still too expensive!!)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexM666 View Post
Here is my insurance timeline for the last couple of years. 13+ years no claims.

Z4m - £ 399 per year

Z4m & eco boost Fiesta - £1150

Z4m, eco boost fiesta, M2 LCI - £1200

All of the above prices are from Admiral Insurance.

Now I just have the M2 and they have quoted £ 1900 for renewal....

Safe to say....I changed company....and im now with QuoteMeHappy for £1100 (which is still too expensive!!)
That's still a lot for your recent quote. How old are you and where do you live? That must be affecting those prices.
      02-09-2019, 06:49 AM   #10
AlexM666
Private
Rep

29 years old. Milton Keynes. Still seems very expensive.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 06:53 AM   #11
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
That's still a lot for your recent quote. How old are you and where do you live? That must be affecting those prices.
I am getting delivery of mine on March 1st too!

The current cheapest quote I can get is around £1200.. But I guess that is fair because I am quite new to UK, and all my prior NCD are overseas.

35 years old, living in Wandsworth, London.

Really jealous of the quotes that you guys are getting!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #12
AlexM666
Private
Rep

That seems like a very reasonable price for London.
Appreciate 1
_debo12.00
      02-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #13
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenius View Post
I am getting delivery of mine on March 1st too!

The current cheapest quote I can get is around £1200.. But I guess that is fair because I am quite new to UK, and all my prior NCD are overseas.

35 years old, living in Wandsworth, London.

Really jealous of the quotes that you guys are getting!
Nice, what spec are you getting?

£1200 for London doesn't sound bad. I would probably be getting something near to that if I was still living in London.
      02-10-2019, 07:53 AM   #14
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nice, what spec are you getting?

£1200 for London doesn't sound bad. I would probably be getting something near to that if I was still living in London.
HS DCT
M2 Plus Pack
M2 Comfort Pack
2NH big brakes
M Driver's package
Through-loading system
Windscreen with grey band

I was on 6MT until the very morning that it went '5000 Confirmed for Production', and decided to switch to DCT! It went into '5055 - Confirmed by production control' the very same afternoon.

Have been waiting a long for this!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 07:57 AM   #15
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
HS DCT
M2 Plus Pack
M2 Comfort Pack
2NH big brakes
M Driver's package
Through-loading system
Windscreen with grey band

I was on 6MT until the very morning that it went '5000 Confirmed for Production', and decided to switch to DCT! It went into '5055 - Confirmed by production control' the very same afternoon.

Have been waiting a long for this!
Nice. I went for the DCT also. I was so close to getting the manual, but just didn't fancy it in the end. Did you register your keyless entry (as part of the Comfort Package) with your insurance company? That is one thing that drives insurance costs up and is one of the reasons I opted out of that feature. If you haven't registered that feature and your car gets stolen you might not be able to make a claim.
      02-10-2019, 08:05 AM   #16
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Nice. I went for the DCT also. I was so close to getting the manual, but just didn't fancy it in the end. Did you register your keyless entry (as part of the Comfort Package) with your insurance company? That is one thing that drives insurance costs up and is one of the reasons I opted out of that feature. If you haven't registered that feature and your car gets stolen you might not be able to make a claim.
I really fancied a 6MT at first. But after having a go on a 1M recently, I find that I really don't fancy the rubbery feel of BMW manual tranny. And DCT would be much more comfortable for my kids when I daily this car

I didn't register my keyless entry. I didn't see the site asking for that when I did my online quotes... Hope that don't drive up the cost later if this option came up when I actually buy the policy! But thanks for the heads up, I will research a little more about this.

I do think the risk is rather low for me as it would be parked in underground parking at home most of the time. I ordered some Faraday bags to keep my keys at home though. I work in the Cyber Security field, and had some experience around RF hacking stuff that car thieves has been using - definitely don't fancy someone else doing the same on my own car.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:13 AM   #17
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I really fancied a 6MT at first. But after having a go on a 1M recently, I find that I really don't fancy the rubbery feel of BMW manual tranny. And DCT would be much more comfortable for my kids when I daily this car

I didn't register my keyless entry. I didn't see the site asking for that when I did my online quotes... Hope that don't drive up the cost later if this option came up when I actually buy the policy! But thanks for the heads up, I will research a little more about this.

I do think the risk is rather low for me as it would be parked in underground parking at home most of the time. I ordered some Faraday bags to keep my keys at home though. I work in the Cyber Security field, and had some experience around RF hacking stuff that car thieves has been using - definitely don't fancy someone else doing the same on my own car.
I haven't had a manual since I owned a 2008 RS4 Avant, which was three years ago. Because I will be tracking my car as well I just feel that a DCT would be better for me, i.e. allowing me to concentrate more on the lines as opposed to having to change gears via a manual box. Using the paddle shifters is simply more appealing.

Hopefully it won't drive up the insurance much, but I think it's still worth letting the insurance companies know. You know what they are like with these things. Your car could get stolen and it might not be anything to do with the keyless entry, but they might use a loophole to get out of paying. Currently I am getting prices on Cat 5 trackers as I was able to get serious reductions in insurance quotes by stating I would have one of these installed. Looking at one of these:

https://www.cbscentres.co.uk/security/s5-vts-plus/
      02-10-2019, 08:20 AM   #18
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
I haven't had a manual since I owned a 2008 RS4 Avant, which was three years ago. Because I will be tracking my car as well I just feel that a DCT would be better for me, i.e. allowing me to concentrate more on the lines as opposed to having to change gears via a manual box. Using the paddle shifters is simply more appealing.

Hopefully it won't drive up the insurance much, but I think it's still worth letting the insurance companies know. You know what they are like with these things. Your car could get stolen and it might not be anything to do with the keyless entry, but they might use a loophole to get out of paying. Currently I am getting prices on Cat 5 trackers as I was able to get serious reductions in insurance quotes by stating I would have one of these installed. Looking at one of these:

I really love the 6MT on Porsches. I probably would have gotten a Cayman T or Cayman GTS if I didn't need those rear seats.

That's very true indeed about how insurance companies can put the blame back to me when the worst happen... How much of a reduction did you get with the tracker?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 08:24 AM   #19
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I really love the 6MT on Porsches. I probably would have gotten a Cayman T or Cayman GTS if I didn't need those rear seats.

That's very true indeed about how insurance companies can put the blame back to me when the worst happen... How much of a reduction did you get with the tracker?
I didn't actually get quotes without the tracker, but lots of insurance companies I spoke to initially wouldn't insure the car without the tracker. It's good to have it for my own piece of mind also.

If I was ever in a position to own a Cayman GT4 I'd gladly switch to a manual box 😎👌🏻
      02-10-2019, 09:19 AM   #20
Jenius
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I didn't actually get quotes without the tracker, but lots of insurance companies I spoke to initially wouldn't insure the car without the tracker. It's good to have it for my own piece of mind also.

If I was ever in a position to own a Cayman GT4 I'd gladly switch to a manual box 😎👌🏻
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Same here haha That thing was a blast to drive! Had a go at it a few years back.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:07 AM   #21
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Direct line or Hasting have been very cheap for me.

DL were only £300 per year for my last M6GC with 700bhp remap!

Currently with Hastings, 275 pa iirc.

Agree these "specialist insurers" are all rob dogs in my experience.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 11:10 AM   #22
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
Direct line or Hasting have been very cheap for me.

DL were only £300 per year for my last M6GC with 700bhp remap!
Thanks Doughboy. I'll give Direct Line a try. Why was the insurance so cheap for you? Do you live in a low risk area?