BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > M2 tire/rims protection $1295

08-10-2016, 12:11 PM   #23
zhihong.james
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 6MT

As far as I know BMW's tire and rim protection plan does not cover curb rushes.
It only covers physical damages, such as bends and cracks. The damages need to be serious enough that your tires can no longer hold airs. Otherwise, BMW will not fix any bends or cracks.
However, it will cover to repair your tires. Since the non run flat are repairable unless the damage is on the side wall. I don't think I need the protection plan at all.

Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 1
gk09133.50
      09-09-2016, 12:30 AM   #24
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhihong.james View Post
As far as I know BMW's tire and rim protection plan does not cover curb rushes.
It only covers physical damages, such as bends and cracks. The damages need to be serious enough that your tires can no longer hold airs. Otherwise, BMW will not fix any bends or cracks.
However, it will cover to repair your tires. Since the non run flat are repairable unless the damage is on the side wall. I don't think I need the protection plan at all.

Just my 2 cents
I agree with this statement - I've never seen them cover curb rash. I think you have to go 3rd party for that.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:46 AM   #25
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
The one and only time I ended up buying the insurance was the the 4 year span when I used almost every aspect of it. I was very lucky. I think Audi Car care was $1200 but that included PDR which I used once for two dents. Thats $100 right there. The coverage was excellent as it covered stock rims as well as winter setup so when my winter wheel suffered damage from an enormous pothole covered in water they replaced the rim and tire. $700 there. then it also covered curb rash so they re-did two oem Audi rims. $400 there. I lost my key fob in disney world which it also covered. $350 there. What made me purchase it though is it covered so many things and they discounted it. On my wife's GLK SUV they just offered tire and rim coverage on the 20 inch AMG wheels. They started at $1200 and I negotiated down to $499. For that price I took it. For $1200 at a well negotiated price for the M2 I will pass.

I always think it is interesting when a guy thinks they are lucky when things went bad and they got to take advantage of a warranty they paid for. Interesting way of looking at things. Personally I would never buy any extended warranty or protection plan, I just put my money in the bank and if something bad happens I spend a little of it. I win everytime. Consumer reports has studied these things extensively and they consistently find warranties don't pay off for the vast majority of folks. The way I see it is if you can't afford to replace a wheel or key fob it might make sense to look a more affordable car.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 01:51 AM   #26
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
I always think it is interesting when a guy thinks they are lucky when things went bad and they got to take advantage of a warranty they paid for. Interesting way of looking at things. Personally I would never buy any extended warranty or protection plan, I just put my money in the bank and if something bad happens I spend a little of it. I win everytime. Consumer reports has studied these things extensively and they consistently find warranties don't pay off for the vast majority of folks. The way I see it is if you can't afford to replace a wheel or key fob it might make sense to look a more affordable car.
For most folks in pothole based areas, the tire and wheel protection option is often a good bet. Something bad (a bubble for sure) will happen to you - over and over and you will spend a lot of your money. At $2K, maybe worth it - at $1,295, pretty good deal.

BTW, CR -is talking "extended warranties" - not tire and wheel protection - very different IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2016, 10:07 AM   #27
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruettfan View Post
To clarify the reason I put the 'very lucky' sentiment in my post was due to the fact that like you I don't purchase extended warranties. Not on a TV, not on my couch or whatever else they try to sell it to you on. It was my first purchase of a extended coverage plan (better name eh.. .. and I used more than I spent on it which is why I felt 'lucky' for lack of a better word. That being said it is the only time I will ever purchase it unless they do what they did with the GLK which was after I negotiated the lowest price I could on the vehicle they took the amount the tire and rim protection was off again to add it in making it a wash.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:09 AM   #28
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

I bought the wheel protection for about the same price because i thought I would keep the same rims and also i have scrap some rims in the past. So I was worried about this.

The only thing i regret now is that I didn't spend extra for the warranty that covers after market rims. I'm in the middle of purchasing some HREs.

This car is addicting to mod
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:49 PM   #29
maxsaint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI - BMW M2 LBB LCI -X5

I was quoted 3k for 4year coverage in NJ. I am tempted to get it since in first 3 years of ownership nothing everything was perfect and this past year 4th year of ownership I gotgot 2 blown tires at different time bend rims on two different wheels and curb rash all in 1 year.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2019, 09:50 PM   #30
maxsaint
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 335XI - BMW M2 LBB LCI -X5

I just bought a Bmw M2 today so I am thinking of getting it. Anyone any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2019, 09:08 AM   #31
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxsaint View Post
I just bought a Bmw M2 today so I am thinking of getting it. Anyone any thoughts?
That really depends where you live and what your roads look like.
I'm in Pacific North West and the roads are pretty good. If the deal covers curb rash I would think about it (I have curbed one) but other than that I can't imagine spending more than couple of hundred over 4 years on tire repairs.
Appreciate 1
maxsaint130.50