akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
With options they can get over $100k, almost double a base M2, so whats your point?

Buy the Vette if you are looking for the performance and a 2 seater is fine with you.
Lets be honest here. The M2 rear seats are basically in name only. Unless you are 5 feet tall and have the front seats forward all the way only very small children can fit in the back.
That's not true, you can easily get pretty 5'9 and under back there easily. I wouldn't recommend it for road trips but for 20 minutes or less it works in a pinch.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 04:32 PM   #46
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlas View Post
If I didn’t need a backseat I’d definitely take the C7. I drove one for 2 weeks and it was simply superb. Easy to drive daily, no issues getting in or out, the targa roof is fantastic, and it simply looks gorgeous.

Interestingly enough, I would wager the vette has a bigger boot than the M2. I managed to fit 2 large Samsonite cases (about 80cm) and 2 smaller carry-ons in the Vette, as we were on holiday. The M2 I’d have to put the rear seats down to even attempt the same load.

It's funny when I read some of the comments that claims the Corvette is a horrible daily driver and that it has no trunk space because it's obvious that person is just making assumptions without ever driving one or even checking it out.

The Corvette actually has more trunk space than the M2 and it's a good DD. Germans aren't the only ones that can make good cars and we should keep an open mind to all. Heck, the C7 is probably among the most comfortable daily driving sports car with supercar level performance out there.

Corvettes have always been fast but the C7 has come a long way as far as improvements to the interior and overall refinement.
Appreciate 1
Polo088161610.00
      07-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #47
Motivate
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Shopping for a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockit2 View Post
well I thought hard about this and placed my order with my BMW dealer last night. I tried to find a good picture of the sunset orange and decided to go with the hockenheim silver instead . I really like the c7 but at the end of the day I am not a pro driver and a M2C with some Dinan goodies I am sure will kick my a%s. So the M2c offers a brand new car vs a used vette. The m2c is also a bit more exclusive c7 vetts are everywhere. But the main reason I feel is that it will just make a better street car as far as practicality. I also like that it is low key compared to the C7 I will blend in as just another bimmer and I like that as being the center of attention with a yellow Zo6 makes me feel uncomfortable . I feel I made the right decision for my self. Now the price, I got it for MSRP not a penny less or a penny more plus dealer fee and tax/tag so I am ok with that as in south Florida everyone wants over msrp so my dealer I feel did ok . build below

Hockenheim silver w-blue stiching
Zep package
black wheels

the only other options are sunroof and DCT I believe which I rather have the 6mt and am open to the roof but feel it is not worth to pay 1k for adding weight to the roof of the car and taking away headroom but that is just me. I wanted 6mt to enjoy it while it lasts as maybe in the future it might not exist anymore and besides 3k for it is a bit much again in my opinion but I am aware it is an excellent trans. Does anyone have a suggestion to the auto or roof ? for resale or fun factor please post up
You honestly can't go wrong with either choice but from what I sense, you are more of a BMW guy who was intrigued/surprised by the level of performance that the Corvette is capable of and got caught up for a second. But once that wore off, you went with your heart and that's good.

The only thing is since you said this will be a weekend and track car, street driving shouldn't play a big role in your decision. If anything, you should go a little wild with a weekend car if you know what I mean. But that's just me and the M2C will be wild in it's own right.

If this is a track car, forget about sunroofs. As far as transmission, M2 buyers have been about 50/50 between MT/AT. So I don't think it will make a difference as there will likely be plenty of buyers for either one.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 07:32 AM   #48
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Lets be honest here. The M2 rear seats are basically in name only. Unless you are 5 feet tall and have the front seats forward all the way only very small children can fit in the back.
beg to differ...I've had 4 adults in my '18 and they were fine. Obviously you couldn't have 4 people over 6' too comfortably but it is usable...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 07:15 AM   #49
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

Wow, for a pro BMW website this is quite polite. American Muscle vs. German Uber Auto, what a grudge match, and minimal insults, cussing, and no fisticuffs? What are you, a bunch of sissies? I must laugh, because the level of intolerance in today's political climate makes this look like a group of frustrated old maids at a tea and crumpets tasting party. It's good to see how knowledgeable, sincere, and fair the comparisons have been. Car guys should be running this world, right!

Ridiculous jokes aside, this is a very serious matter and a difficult choice for car guys. But I must admit that I don't see the comparison between the Z06 (80K-ish usd.) and the M2C (60K-ish). *Based on new prices, here in Arizona anyway. 650HP compared to 400HP and 20K difference?

Honestly, I have only been researching this for a short time, so forgive my ignorance. However, I see the Z51 Stringray (62K-ish) or the Grand Sport (68K-ish) as a little better contender and more due to price than performance, but please tell me what I fail to see.

Sure, the Z06 has more power and is a bit better in performance, but it's at least 20K USD more than the M2C. And for my money that is a deal breaker on what will be a kid brother to the M4 (70K-ish). Hence, I would go with the M2C. But make it a Z5 Stingray or GS and I am in a tailspin as to which to purchase.

I think what makes it so difficult is that the M2C has not been around very long. We must evaluate this all based upon the first gen M2 in hopes that the M2C will shine like the M4, and it probably will.

But for two cars that are anticipated to be objectively “close” in performance, they are so unequal in price. That is what makes this comparison so difficult, and in my humble opinion, an even more difficult subjective decision between the Z51 Stingray and the M2C.

Cheers Lads and drink up, the night has just begun!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2018, 02:05 PM   #50
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: R

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post

But for two cars that are anticipated to be objectively “close” in performance, they are so unequal in price. That is what makes this comparison so difficult, and in my humble opinion, an even more difficult subjective decision between the Z51 Stingray and the M2C.

Cheers Lads and drink up, the night has just begun!
Neither are the answer for performance/$, its the SS1le far cheaper but better performer than the stingray.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 02:08 AM   #51
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerworld View Post
Neither are the answer for performance/$, its the SS1le far cheaper but better performer than the stingray.
I don't think the SS 1LE is faster than Z51 Stingray on track? Could be wrong. I am sure it is close.

One of these two is a fat coupe that is hard to see out of, and the other is a properly shaped 2 seat sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 08:35 AM   #52
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
I don't think the SS 1LE is faster than Z51 Stingray on track? Could be wrong. I am sure it is close.

One of these two is a fat coupe that is hard to see out of, and the other is a properly shaped 2 seat sports car.
With the same driver; the SS beat the stingray clearly on 2 tracks:
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm

It does make sense, the SS 1le is the best handling camaro(including the ZL1 1LE and Z28) whereas the stingray is the most basic c7.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:16 PM   #53
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
With the same driver; the SS beat the stingray clearly on 2 tracks:
http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/upszzo4f17hm

It does make sense, the SS 1le is the best handling camaro(including the ZL1 1LE and Z28) whereas the stingray is the most basic c7.
It's unclear if those C7s had the Z51 package. Don't think the SS 1LE can beat Z51 (magnetic dampers and other upgrades) C7.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 09:45 PM   #54
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
It's unclear if those C7s had the Z51 package. Don't think the SS 1LE can beat Z51 (magnetic dampers and other upgrades) C7.
On leguna seca atleast it was the z51 package
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsche/911/2013/chevrolet-corvette-stingray-z51-ferrari-f12-berlinetta-porsche-911-carrera-4s/
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 11:34 PM   #55
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
On leguna seca atleast it was the z51 package
https://www.motortrend.com/cars/pors...11-carrera-4s/
Impossible to compare different conditions. In the same vein the C&D lightning lap results show the Z51 is faster, but they were not tested on the same day. At least they are in the same ballpark, and one of them is a much better looking car and will have better resale value.

Yeah, I know the Camaro is cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 06:45 AM   #56
PaulAZ
Rep
Drives: Tecoma

Value, the Camaro SS is objectively better. Appearance, well this is a subjective criteria.

I prefer the Corvette styling, but does it warrant the added cost of almost 20K? That is a difficult personal choice!

The attraction of the M2C may be the increased performance, a reasonable price, and fairly attractive styling.

These are the challenging criteria, but we should have such gratitude that we can find so many variations when considering the limited past automotive selections plus modern safety and performance standards. Deo gratias
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 07:49 AM   #57
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Impossible to compare different conditions. In the same vein the C&D lightning lap results show the Z51 is faster, but they were not tested on the same day. At least they are in the same ballpark, and one of them is a much better looking car and will have better resale value.

Eh not really weather was similar for both tests with the same driver. Lightning lap on the other hand is completely useless as an indicator of performance, on the driver team some are great while others are complete shit.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #58
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulAZ View Post
Value, the Camaro SS is objectively better. Appearance, well this is a subjective criteria.

I prefer the Corvette styling, but does it warrant the added cost of almost 20K? That is a difficult personal choice!

The attraction of the M2C may be the increased performance, a reasonable price, and fairly attractive styling.

These are the challenging criteria, but we should have such gratitude that we can find so many variations when considering the limited past automotive selections plus modern safety and performance standards. Deo gratias

A Camaro SS 1LE vs a C7 Grand Sport (without Z07) package.

I think the C7 GS is significantly faster and it was using MPSS tires, not a near R compound tire like the SS 1LE.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:25 AM   #59
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post

A Camaro SS 1LE vs a C7 Grand Sport (without Z07) package.

I think the C7 GS is significantly faster and it was using MPSS tires, not a near R compound tire like the SS 1LE.
First of all we were talking about the C7 Z51 stingray not the 70k grandsport.
Secoundly, the supercar f1 tires are not "near r compound" and the GS has michelin sport cup 2's not MPSS.

EDIT:

You're right about the MPSS but i dont see why the camaro's tires are kuch better.

Last edited by Towerworld; 08-09-2018 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 11:10 AM   #60
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
First of all we were talking about the C7 Z51 stingray not the 70k grandsport.
Secoundly, the supercar f1 tires are not "near r compound" and the GS has michelin sport cup 2's not MPSS.

EDIT:

You're right about the MPSS but i dont see why the camaro's tires are kuch better.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...formance%20Pkg

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires have a treadwear rating of 220. That's in line with a Bridgestone RE-71R with a treadwear rating of 200. Even the Michelin PSC2 tires have a treadwear rating of 180. I consider those "relatively" near R-compound tires.

The MPSS is a different class of tire as a max performance summer tire with a treadwear rating of 300.

Also the actual sale price of a C7 1LT GS is about $60k. The actual sale price of a SS 1LE is around $42k.

I think there's no question the C7 GS (non Z07) is a substantially faster car than the 1SS 1LE. Same treadwear tires would increase that gap.
Appreciate 1
ceedawg467.50
      08-10-2018, 01:22 AM   #61
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

I'd pass on a Vette, until I see what the mid-engine C8 is all about.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2018, 08:30 AM   #62
Towerworld
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...formance%20Pkg

The Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar 3 tires have a treadwear rating of 220. That's in line with a Bridgestone RE-71R with a treadwear rating of 200. Even the Michelin PSC2 tires have a treadwear rating of 180. I consider those "relatively" near R-compound tires.

The MPSS is a different class of tire as a max performance summer tire with a treadwear rating of 300.

Also the actual sale price of a C7 1LT GS is about $60k. The actual sale price of a SS 1LE is around $42k.

I think there's no question the C7 GS (non Z07) is a substantially faster car than the 1SS 1LE. Same treadwear tires would increase that gap.
the treadwear rating doesn't mean much the bridgestone potenza REO50 has a 140 rating yet its relatively average in its performance for a summer tire.
Not to mention the SS1le comes with the regular eagle f1 Supercar Tires not supercar 3, that's for the ZL1 1LE. The regular f1 supercar tires are also max summer performance and are consistently rated worse than MPSS or MP4S in dry performance handling.
I do however agree that the GS is easily the better track car but the starting price on it is $65,495 https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ort-sports-car

Last edited by Towerworld; 08-10-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 06:57 AM   #63
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Based on your initial post Z06 all the way. The beauty of the M2 is the "one car" jack of all trades ability. But its not a sports car.

The Vette will offer the performance you want. And will feel more special when you take it out for the weekend. Its a sports car by design. Just make sure to get the manual!

Past Performance Cars: 01 M3, 05 M3, 06 M5, 08 M6, 08 M3, 11 M3, 13 M3, 15 M3, 911 C4S, 911 GTS, 17 M2,R8 V8, R8 RWS
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 08:04 AM   #64
Slaney
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

I'm forever tainted from liking a Corvette thanks to all the guys with the chrome wheels, chrome lens trims, cheesy vinyl stripe packages (see Indy 500), etc. It's the step you take when you're done with your Cadillac or vice versa.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2018, 11:41 AM   #65
ceedawg
Major
Rep
Drives: 2k15 335i xdrive MSport 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaney View Post
I'm forever tainted from liking a Corvette thanks to all the guys with the chrome wheels, chrome lens trims, cheesy vinyl stripe packages (see Indy 500), etc. It's the step you take when you're done with your Cadillac or vice versa.
You're missing out! These new vettes are animals and look great. Go to Chevys website and see what the vettes look like vs the 70s 80s 90s where chrome was the thing.
      08-13-2018, 02:04 AM   #66
chris719
Major General
Rep

Quote:
the treadwear rating doesn't mean much the bridgestone potenza REO50 has a 140 rating yet its relatively average in its performance for a summer tire.
Not to mention the SS1le comes with the regular eagle f1 Supercar Tires not supercar 3, that's for the ZL1 1LE. The regular f1 supercar tires are also max summer performance and are consistently rated worse than MPSS or MP4S in dry performance handling.
I do however agree that the GS is easily the better track car but the starting price on it is $65,495 https://www.chevrolet.com/performanc...ort-sports-car
Yeah the tire treadwear ratings mean just about nothing. They are only even comparable across a single brand and even then they're questionable.

You can probably get 10k off a Corvette at least at this point; still more expensive but worth it for me. Kerbeck actually has some Z06s listed in the low 70s.
Appreciate 0