BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > SCOTT26 - Questions For You

Closed Thread

08-14-2013, 02:53 AM   #1
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

SCOTT26 - Questions For You

Scott26, I have been part of this forum for a long time and wanted to ask you few question. People by your name have represented BMW for some time here. That is why I am directing my questions at you.

My first question is, do you ever take some feedback from here to your upper management or design teams or are you just a marketing puppet (no pun intended) just looking for clarification.

If you do take feedback from here and share. Then have you made BWM aware that a lot of enthusiast and fans are a bit disappointed in recent turn of events. These newer generation BMW's that are being designed to please masses at the expense of driving dynamics are dull and boring.

So the second part of my question is this.......From now on should we the enthusiast and fans expect the BMW to be known as a company that will be making cookie cutter cars for masses. All in the name of efficient dynamics where driving dynamics take a back seat majority of the time. Except for the case of weight reduction and improved MPG in few models their is not much exciting.

From the piped in engine notes to horrendous half baked electric steering systems that are more or less devoid of feel and feedback, to soft core cars that are on purpose dulled down. Also, why is their a need to on purpose make a concept versions more boring and generic such as the case with 4 series production vs concept.

Since, 1M their has been nothing to rejoice about. One after another plain and vanilla cars are being rolled out in name of efficient dynamics to please the masses. I am all for efficient dynamics as well as many others here. But not at the expense of driving dynamics taking a back seat. If BMW slogan is still "Ultimate driving machine" or similar in other markets. Then it sure has strayed far from it. Because there is not much ultimate left about it. In its attempt to cater to masses seems like BMW is becoming more of the next German Toyota.

So at the end are we going to see a redesign of this horrible electric steering system, will N55 engine get any upgrades in power as both all new 3 series and 4 series have been released without any update to engines. Are we to expect recorded engine notes being played in our future BMW's. Why is BMW now using cheaper hard plastic materials inside the 3 series and 4 series despite the price being increased. Oh one more why race a Z4 GT coupe when you have none for sale.

I hope you can answer these questions to the best of your ability. I have nothing against you just trying to get clarification on some of my questions. I hope you take it in good spirit as it is not intended as malicious or personal attack

P.S. To the administrators I am pretty sure one of you is going to ban me or restrict my access to this part for speaking my mind and asking Scott few question. If so once again it will be disappointing as this is a car forum and here we do come to discuss cars and issues associated with them. People should not be locked out or banned for sharing their thoughts just cause this is your high traffic area and you only want to keep discussion that are pro BMW and nothing else. I think locking out people for profanity and malicious personal attacks can make sense but not sharing thought and discussing cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
Sheer Driving Pleasure is the International phrase for BMW.
"The Ultimate Driving Machine" is used by specifically by the USA and UK.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.

Last edited by Kayani_1; 08-18-2013 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

LOL........I guess Scott26 is avoiding these type of questions.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:11 AM   #3
535DMSport
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
My first question is do you ever take some feedback from here to your upper management or design teams or are you just a marketing puppet (no pun intended).
I think he stopped reading right here.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

It said no pun intended. He must be extra sensitive about his role with BMW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 535DMSport View Post
I think he stopped reading right here.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 02:39 PM   #5
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

I have only come across this thread, I do not search every thread so ones like this sometimes are unknown to me.

I will answer your questions. But you will not like some of the answers.
I will do so shortly.
      08-18-2013, 02:45 PM   #6
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I understand you are busy man. I am glad that you did find time to read some of our concerns and are willing to answer our questions.

I am a great fan of BMW and it is always good to hear from people who represent BMW here on this forum. Please, be honest in your reply regardless of if I like them or not. I would love to hear from you. I have seen you post on this website for more then 5 years or so now. Always wanted to know your role and if you are interested in taking our feedback to the BMW upper management.

Thank you,
Scott26

Quote:
I have only come across this thread, I do not search every thread so ones like this sometimes are unknown to me.

I will do so shortly.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
BimmerMat135
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E82M/S213 E450 A/T

Awesome topic! I have the same concern as you have Kayani_1. I looking foward for the awnser as well!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

Garage List
Quote:
I understand you are busy man. I am glad that you did find time to read some of our concerns and are willing to answer our questions.

I am a great fan of BMW and it is always good to hear from people who represent BMW here on this forum. Please, be honest in your reply regardless of if I like them or not. I would love to hear from you. I have seen you post on this website for more then 5 years or so now. Always wanted to know your role and if you are interested in taking our feedback to the BMW upper management.

Thank you,
Scott26
I'll be damned, he replied! I actually chuckled when I read you post, but look who's laughing now!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #9
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

I'm more curious about what electric performance BMW is coming out on aug 22.
      08-19-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
I'm more curious about what electric performance BMW is coming out on aug 22.
The i8
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:04 AM   #11
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
I'll be damned, he replied! I actually chuckled when I read you post, but look who's laughing now!
+1 I thought this was hilarious
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
Rep

It's been 25 hours since Scott's first post...ehh.

Wonder what he'll say.

Kudos to the guy for saying that we won't like some of the answers. I'd much rather the guy tell us stuff we don't like to hear then he tell us false information.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
cipher5
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Donington Grey X3M Comp

PMs broken?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 08:40 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Subscribed!

OP, check out this cross post from the E89 forums..

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878521

Several forum members switched their Cayman S to Z4 because the Z4 was more comfortable, and had more luxury features. All of these people recognized the Cayman S was an amazing handler and a better all out sports car, and they are all happy to get the Z4 because it is a better daily driver.

My take away from that post is that modern BMWs are designed to be "softer / street" cars as opposed to "hardcore / track" cars because that is what people buying them (i.e. customers) as opposed to internet forum posters (i.e. fans) want.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
Subscribed!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878521" rel="" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://e89.zpost.com...p?t=878521</a>

Several forum members switched their Cayman S to Z4 because the Z4 was more comfortable, and had more luxury features. All of these people recognized the Cayman S was an amazing handler and a better all out sports car, and they are all happy to get the Z4 because it is a better daily driver.

My take away from that post is that modern BMWs are designed to be "softer / street" cars as opposed to "hardcore / track" cars because that is what people buying them (i.e. customers) as opposed to internet forum posters (i.e. fans) want.
Porsche Boxster sales are double Z4 sales so far this year. Thats before you add in the Cayman. If you add in the Cayman, its over triple the sales. So, I would say Porsche is on to something by making a sports car actually drive like a sports car.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I am not so sure if it is all that clear and simple.The BMW world wide sales for Z4 variants are in 15,000 units range and Porsche Boxster/Cayman variants are in 11,000 range. Considering the price point of brand new Z4 on average is lower then that of the Porsche Boxster/Cayman. I think the edge still belongs to Porsche. As they are able to earn still higher profits per unit thanks to price point edge and the volume difference is not night and day.

So all in all for every 1.5 owner who switches from Porsche Boxster/Cayman to Z4 there is a 1 owner who switches back from Z4 to Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

Head to head the Porsche variants are far superior to Z4 variants when it comes to driving dynamics. Now if I wanted to comfortable car with tons of gizmos I would shop for a Lexus or host of other soft core luxury car makers. If you like driving cars you come to makers like BMW and Porsche etc. If you like to play with toys and gizmos then you buy cars that are limo where you can driven. I am more of the driver type then driven type. On the side notes I have nothing against gizmos in a car but not at the expense of driving dynamics.

If I am buying a sports car and scarificing practicality then I want a proper sports car. To be honest my type of sports car is not even Porsche. It the Lotus Exige S. It is one hell of car that puts a smile on your face when you are driving. To bad it is not sold here in USA.

As for your comment that people who want comfortable cars buy BMW and fans on forums don't. May I suggest you check my profile. I put my money where my mouth is. I have had almost every iteration of BMW in my family in last 13 years from the E46, E39, E53, E60, E65, and E92. I am not trying to show off as that is not my nature just stating facts.

I am not so sure how many of these soft luxury car buying wannabe BMW owners have put their money where their mouth is as often as I have.

I hope no hard feelings just a simple discussion and hope you don't take it personally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Subscribed!

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=878521

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2013, 11:58 PM   #17
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Well, I am glad he replied as for posting it in M4 thread I got severe reprimand and 3 point infraction by moderator

However, upon hearing it was not malicious the moderator mkoesel who deserves a thumps up restored my deleted post here and giving me a second chance to ask the question. Thanks mkoesel

Now, with Scott replying I am hoping we all can have some positive discussion with him. I know not every thing we will hear is positive but his honest answers and replies would answer a lot of questions.

It will also be great for BMW community here.

We are waiting patiently for your honest unfiltered participation Scott26.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anodite10 View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #18
Vervain
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well, I am glad he replied as for posting it in M4 thread I got severe reprimand and 3 point infraction by moderator

However, upon hearing it was not malicious the moderator mkoesel who deserves a thumps up restored my deleted post here and giving me a second chance to ask the question. Thanks mkoesel

Now, with Scott replying I am hoping we all can have some positive discussion with him. I know not every thing we will hear is positive but his honest answers and replies would answer a lot of questions.

It will also be great for BMW community here.

We are waiting patiently for your honest unfiltered participation Scott26.
I can't believe that they initially banned you just for asking a few questions! Thanks for stepping up to ask, it will be quite interesting to see what Scott26 reveals.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #19
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

i can answer your question. the hardcore enthusiast is not really the target with BMW. they are looking to make nice cars for everyone. most people will get into anything BMW puts out and say wow this car is sweet! thats the true goal here.

The problem with the enthusiast feedback, is that most of the time we want unrealistic things from BMW. enthusiasts will never be 100% happy ! LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:17 AM   #20
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

No hard feelings at all and I think it is a great discussion.

I agree with what Ezio said, the hardcore enthusiast is not really the target with BMW, and I brought up the Cayman switching to Z4 post to support that.

On a related note, I believe your purchasing pattern is part of the answer as to why BMW is not more "hardcore". You got 3er and 5er variants and not 1 series M, E86 M coupe, E36 M3 or E30 M3.

Quote:
I am not so sure if it is all that clear and simple.The BMW world wide sales for Z4 variants are in 15,000 units range and Porsche Boxster/Cayman variants are in 11,000 range. Considering the price point of brand new Z4 on average is lower then that of the Porsche Boxster/Cayman. I think the edge still belongs to Porsche. As they are able to earn still higher profits per unit thanks to price point edge and the volume difference is not night and day.

So all in all for every 1.5 owner who switches from Porsche Boxster/Cayman to Z4 there is a 1 owner who switches back from Z4 to Porsche Boxster/Cayman.

Head to head the Porsche variants are far superior to Z4 variants when it comes to driving dynamics. Now if I wanted to comfortable car with tons of gizmos I would shop for a Lexus or host of other soft core luxury car makers. If you like driving cars you come to makers like BMW and Porsche etc. If you like to play with toys and gizmos then you buy cars that are limo where you can driven. I am more of the driver type then driven type. On the side notes I have nothing against gizmos in a car but not at the expense of driving dynamics.

If I am buying a sports car and scarificing practicality then I want a proper sports car. To be honest my type of sports car is not even Porsche. It the Lotus Exige S. It is one hell of car that puts a smile on your face when you are driving. To bad it is not sold here in USA.

As for your comment that people who want comfortable cars buy BMW and fans on forums don't. May I suggest you check my profile. I put my money where my mouth is. I have had almost every iteration of BMW in my family in last 13 years from the E46, E39, E53, E60, E65, and E92. I am not trying to show off as that is not my nature just stating facts.

I am not so sure how many of these soft luxury car buying wannabe BMW owners have put their money where their mouth is as often as I have.

I hope no hard feelings just a simple discussion and hope you don't take it personally.

Last edited by nicknaz; 08-20-2013 at 02:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 02:44 AM   #21
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:

I will do so shortly.
Easy question.

M235i debut within a month..yes or no?

What is taking so long?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:35 AM   #22
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Quote:
Scott26, I have been part of this forum for a long time and wanted to ask you few question. People by your name have represented BMW for some time here. That is why I am directing my questions at you.

My first question is, do you ever take some feedback from here to your upper management or design teams or are you just a marketing puppet (no pun intended) just looking for clarification.

If you do take feedback from here and share. Then have you made BWM aware that a lot of enthusiast and fans are a bit disappointed in recent turn of events. These newer generation BMW's that are being designed to please masses at the expense of driving dynamics are dull and boring.

So the second part of my question is this.......From now on should we the enthusiast and fans expect the BMW to be known as a company that will be making cookie cutter cars for masses. All in the name of efficient dynamics where driving dynamics take a back seat majority of the time. Except for the case of weight reduction and improved MPG in few models their is not much exciting.

From the piped in engine notes to horrendous half baked electric steering systems that are more or less devoid of feel and feedback, to soft core cars that are on purpose dulled down. Also, why is their a need to on purpose make a concept versions more boring and generic such as the case with 4 series production vs concept.

Since, 1M their has been nothing to rejoice about. One after another plain and vanilla cars are being rolled out in name of efficient dynamics to please the masses. I am all for efficient dynamics as well as many others here. But not at the expense of driving dynamics taking a back seat. If BMW slogan is still "Ultimate driving machine" or similar in other markets. Then it sure has strayed far from it. Because there is not much ultimate left about it. In its attempt to cater to masses seems like BMW is becoming more of the next German Toyota.

So at the end are we going to see a redesign of this horrible electric steering system, will N55 engine get any upgrades in power as both all new 3 series and 4 series have been released without any update to engines. Are we to expect recorded engine notes being played in our future BMW's. Why is BMW now using cheaper hard plastic materials inside the 3 series and 4 series despite the price being increased. Oh one more why race a Z4 GT coupe when you have none for sale.

I hope you can answer these questions to the best of your ability. I have nothing against you just trying to get clarification on some of my questions. I hope you take it in good spirit as it is not intended as malicious or personal attack

P.S. To the administrators I am pretty sure one of you is going to ban me or restrict my access to this part for speaking my mind and asking Scott few question. If so once again it will be disappointing as this is a car forum and here we do come to discuss cars and issues associated with them. People should not be locked out or banned for sharing their thoughts just cause this is your high traffic area and you only want to keep discussion that are pro BMW and nothing else. I think locking out people for profanity and malicious personal attacks can make sense but not sharing thought and discussing cars.
Just wanted to point out that much of your post seems to be centred around your own (slightly contradictory) opinions and experiences, with quite a lot of exaggeration thrown in too.. as such, they don't necessarily reflect the opinions of all enthusiasts, as some of us have broader minds <- don't take that as a personal attack, many seem to complain about things as though they think they are the only person who BMW should be targeting their cars at, and have a totally self centred idea of how BMW should operate as a company too - espically when they think the whole world still revolves around the US market.

Don't get me wrong, all these new models.... they're not all for me either, but I can appreciate different people have different wants and needs, and that's what BMW is servicing.

Just my two cents.

I agree on the Z4 GT3 / GTE thing though.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread