BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Reconfirmed: FWD coming to new smaller BMW entry-level models

03-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #45
jeremyc74
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i Montego/Terra

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIM E92 View Post
BMW is further narrowing it's distinctive position in the market by platform sharing. In their efforts to lower their CO2 emissions they are making too many compromises. The decisions that are being made at the executive corporate level is sending the company down a slippery slope.

I agree completely. I feel that all this diversity is coming at the expense of them doing what they're known for doing best...building well made, world class RWD sedans.

I keep hearing people say that they need to do this to survive, and I'm not buying it. Were they in trouble before the SUVs?

Besides that, they've got the FWD brand Mini to take care of CAFE. I'd much rather see them further diversify that lineup than build FWD cars with a BMW badge on them.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:12 PM   #46
JIM E92
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyc74 View Post
Oh, ok, Volkswagon group. I was just thinking the VW brand.

Still, by doing that, you loose the major efficiency advantage to FWD, and that defeats the whole purpose.

The major driving force behind this move to FWD is because of the tougher mileage and emissions requirements. If you're still going to turn the power 90 degrees, you're using the same geartrain as a RWD, but with a shorter driveshaft.

From what I've read these Audis still have severe understeer problems, so I'm not really sure there's any point for BMW to do that.
That's exactly what BMW is thinking...the gains are marginal...it's not worth the expense. I can tell you from owning both types there is a world of difference. It's not RWD, but it's the next best thing.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:17 PM   #47
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Considering how great a VW GTI drives then a FWD BMW will not have any problem in exceeding that model by much if they just apply their standard approach to driving dynamics.

I don't see any problem in BMW achieving that.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #48
SCA
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Multiple BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by noro View Post
It's funny but the best car to get in the near future is probably going to be one from the past. I personally no longer really see "progress" in the automotive industry, watering down models to get more people to buy them is really hurting brand uniqueness.
+1
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:47 PM   #49
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

I won"t like a bimmer with front wheel drive
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #50
spellbmw
Feuertrunken
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY10 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
Please keep your posts constructive and helpful to the discussions. Enough with the hysterics for drama sake.
+1
      03-17-2010, 04:55 PM   #51
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post
There are 3 main reasons why people purchase a bmw:
1 - its driving dynamics
2 - its luxury
3 - exclusivity
I would say the vast majority of BMW buyers but it because it has a blue and white roundel on the hood. Only enthusiasts would care about its driving dynamics. And please, BMW exclusive? Let's not kid ourselves. Ferraris and Lamorghinis are exclusive. Veyrons are exclusive. A BMW is NOT anywhere near exclusive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHairsto View Post
Forgive me, but I don't get all of the hysteria over BMW introducing FWD cars. So long as BMW continues to offer other cars that meet your performance criteria, who cares? I see no indication that BMW intends to abandon the RWD architecture. It seems like some people may be getting a little too caught up in brand image as opposed to driving experience - those who truly appreciate the latter will continue buying BMWs performance-oriented RWD cars rather than languishing over BMW diluting the brand image. Besides, in the long run, this may be a good thing for BMW's RWD cars--once the FWD fans get a taste of the brand, they may be more easily converted to RWD enthusiasts and grow the brand even further.
+1

If it's just a new FWD line of cars below the 1 series, I see no problem with that. If it pads BMW AG's wallets enough to make even better RWD and M cars, then more power to them. If they start moving FWD into the 1 and 3 series, then I would get worried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Considering how great a VW GTI drives then a FWD BMW will not have any problem in exceeding that model by much if they just apply their standard approach to driving dynamics.

I don't see any problem in BMW achieving that.
+1

There are some great handing FWD cars out there, and if other automakers can do it, surely BMW can too. FWD really only shows its weaknesses at the limit, and in most daily driving situations the difference between FWD and RWD is pretty negligible.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:00 PM   #52
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

don't see why anyone's surprised.

-bmw now offers almost as many SUV's as they do cars
-there is an MX5 and an MX6
-they are now resorting to turbo's to keep up in the horsepower wars
-the 3 series is the size of an e39 5 series, and weighs upwards of 3500 lbs.
-the 1 series, supposed to be "small/performance oriented" is 3400lbs and does not offer that much performance advantage over a 3 series.
-their entire line looks japanese, from the 1 series all the way up to the 7
-interiors have been completely cheapened, e46 to e90 was just night and day

i saw it coming from a mile away. i'll buy an e30, e36, or e46 m3. for luxury i'd go with an e39 5 series. other than that i'll never touch another bmw product again. they are just not an enthusiast car anymore.. but they've done whats needed to survive in the US market.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:03 PM   #53
herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
There are some great handing FWD cars out there, and if other automakers can do it, surely BMW can too. FWD really only shows its weaknesses at the limit, and in most daily driving situations the difference between FWD and RWD is pretty negligible.
it also shows its weaknesses in driving dynamics, steering, handling, weight distribution, and drag racing... not to mention rabid, unavoidable understeer. there's a reason bmw has never made a FWD car.. because it sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:07 PM   #54
Antinontoxic
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

This isn't the new Isetta or is it? That wouldn't do any harm to the badge, if it is FWD.

Even Aston Martin has FWD city car, so why not BMW. I am sure that BMW will make it so much more different from the rest of its range that it will not harm the brand.

Maybe BMW is again the first to start a new trend which everone else is going to follow
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #55
chemgeek
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335/white-saddle/msport

It appears to be a move to more affordable cars, maybe for particular world markets. I remember reports of 3 and 4 cylinder hybrid engines, maybe those will be linked to the FWD configuration. People have to realize that a FWD car that BMW labels as an "entry level vehicle" is not going to handle or power down the road like a 335i with the sport package. Weight ratios are not as critical in entry level hybrid vehicles as people care more about their lame carbon foot print than how the car drives (e.g. ever driven a Prius?).
      03-17-2010, 05:10 PM   #56
panicos81
Colonel
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: a white bmw

Garage List
2010 BMW E92  [8.54]
2007 e90  [0.00]
ultimate driving machine turned to joy
now rwd to fwd
i love bmws.. but it just feels wrong..
honestly if i hadnt ordered an e92 i would go for an e46 just to have a car that in the future would become the last true bmw..
i dont know... i'm lost.. i mean remember the ad with the m5 running next to that rocket thing with the camera strapped on it.. now we have people jumpin to get into cars and little kids for joy is impatient bullshit..
bmw was the last resort.. mercedes makes 3443467386434632 models even they dont know how much they make.. now bmw starts doing the same.. zero series, come on... next thing is to start selling diapers.. hey they sell, bmw is a company who wants to make profit right..

keep your child happy.. joy is the new bmw diaper..

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #57
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
it also shows its weaknesses in driving dynamics, steering, handling, weight distribution, and drag racing... not to mention rabid, unavoidable understeer. there's a reason bmw has never made a FWD car.. because it sucks.
Right...at the limit. There's not much difference if at all when you're just putting around town at 30mph.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 05:55 PM   #58
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 993 911 View Post
Don't like the direction of the brand, will now stick to Porsche.
The funny thing is, I read the same kind of comments about Porsche when the released the Cayenne. "What is Porsche thinking making an SUV?" and "They are a sports car company". What it comes down to is BMW has to turn a profit. The Cayenne allowed Porsche to continue making the cars enthusiasts love. Now Porsche has a sedan as well.

If BMW keeps making sports cars and performance sedans, who cares if they make some FWD cars to go with them? The MINI is highly regarded for its FWD handling so we already know BMW can make FWD cars that handle.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 06:01 PM   #59
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason View Post
IMO, the exclusivity will still be there. The 1, 3, 5, 7, Z series will retain their RWD architecture and their great driving dynamics. Just because there will be FWD BMWs doesn't make their RWD cars any worse or less desirable.

BMW runs a business afterall, and if making FWD cars will allow them to continue operating as an independent company that continues making some of the best handling (and still some of the most desirable) RWD sedans, coupes, and roadsters, then I'm willing to live with whatever sacrilege a FWD BMW may be.

Seriously, did everyone buy a BMW because it's a brand that only has RWD cars, or did you buy your BMW because it happens to be a great RWD car? I would hope that it's the latter.
THIS

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 06:38 PM   #60
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I think this is a good move. Simply because I am looking for a small car with BMW quality to replace my fiance's VW with in a couple of years. This appears to be exactly what we are after!
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #61
Thud
Throbbing Member
Rep
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnokGnik View Post

This just ruins the exclusivity of BMW

I think the "exclusivity" is primarily an invention of American marketing. They certainly aren't very exclusive over in Europe. They're just good cars.
2008 BMW 135i / 6MT
2002 Z06 Corvette
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 07:57 PM   #62
GuyOh
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 LB M2 / 2020 X5 40i

Garage List
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
2020 Bmw X5 40i  [0.00]
the stupid "Joy" campaign..... and now news of FWD???
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:02 PM   #63
Master Deep
Captain
Rep
Drives: 06 325xi

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
BMW has to go with turbos if you guys want them to sell cars in the U.S. any longer. How else are they going to get nearer to averaging 41mpg across their fleet by 2016? A 12mpg V8 and V10 isn't going to work in today's world.

I love big NA engines, but they will slowly be dying. At least the gas ones will. You will only see turbo cars, low-powered 4-cylinders and maybe some 6's, and diesel, hybrid, electric cars.

That is the future.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:05 PM   #64
Steven L
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 09 335XI and 08 328i

I never hear that BMW coming to FWD!! In my opinion, FWD is not suitable for BMW, I perfer to RWD on BMW
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #65
Berduderunner
drk one
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
2008 135i  [0.00]
that's a tad scary I agree, but as long as it stays in very small "city cars" I can understand the logic.

let us all pray it doesn't spread... o jesus please
BMS JB3 v2.0 | BMS DCI | Berk Tech Sport Exhaust | UR * DPs | CoolingMist Meth Kit w/ CMGS | H&R OE Sport Springs | Breyton GTS-R | Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 Star Specs | GP Thunder 8000K Low Beams/Angel Eyes/Cornering Lights | LED Interior Light Kit | Window Tint | Smoked Tail Lights | Smoked License Plate Cover
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #66
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCA View Post

It began with with SAVs, then Motorsport SAVs, and now FWD.
Except the introduction of SAVs and Motorsport SAVs did nothing to reduce the quality of BMW coupes and sedans and non-SAV Motorsport products. The current 3, 5 and 7 series cars are clearly superior to their predecessors (we are talking about mechanical superiority; styling is more subjective). Ditto for current M models. In fact, X5 and X3 are hugely profitable and without them, BMW would have less money for R&D (not to mention, BMW's sales would fall behind Mercedes and Audi).

If you read the article carefully, you will understand that the FWD platform is for the upcoming subcompact model (the '0-series'). Most likely, it will share it's platform with the Mini. I don't see any chance of BMW switching to FWD with the 3-series and larger cars.

BMW is first and foremost in the business of making money. Currently, subcompacts are the hottest market segment in Europe and luxury brands are also entering it. We are talking about tiny cars with short wheelbases, high center of gravity, and weak 4-cylinder engines (i.e. Mercedes A and B class) designed for rush hour city driving. RWD would be a bit of a waste on a vehicle like that.
Appreciate 0