BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Guess who made Yahoo's top 6 Ugly Cars???

04-06-2009, 06:43 PM   #67
Inspired
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSong View Post
Every car ever made is ugly in every way.

/THREAD
btw, what happened to your 328?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:01 PM   #68
1BMW4fun
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 12 X3 2.8, 11 550

Throw the new 7 on the list of uglies.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:02 PM   #69
Gumball
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: A45

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2fire View Post
What are you smoking?
Nothing mate, I cant stand the RX8 - its just so wrong from so many angles. E93 is terrible, looks good with roof down but its hardtop is easily the worst I have seen - may have looked good with a soft top.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #70
NewSong
Just another jerk in a hat...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Ford Focus

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinturbo335 View Post
btw, what happened to your 328?
Gave it to my parents. Now I'm still looking for my "weekend car".

And he hath put a new song in my mouth.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 07:22 PM   #71
TK-421
Registered Sex Offender
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 | 1JZ S13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
And to my eyes the ugliest current sports car is the RX8. 1 series look 10 times better.
Agreed. It tries way too hard and still looks like something a 5th grader draws while bored in class
      04-06-2009, 08:06 PM   #72
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i,911,ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
Big engine + little car + great handling + great braking + easy to drive + easy to live with, pretty good mileage + great visibility + oooh so much fun + ooh such an ugly duckling = what?
A TRUE BMW!

You can pretty much say that about a Neon SRT4 also.....
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:08 PM   #73
CaptainDang
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i,911,ISF

I'm a BMW lover through and through, Every single model looks good to me until the 1 series. Honestly though, I cringe everytime I see a 1 series on the road. Thats NEVER happened with ANY BMW before.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:24 PM   #74
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

I find it amusing that the e90 3 series owners calling 1 series ugly, the e90 is horrendous beast itself, the worst looking 3 series to date since inception. E92 is the only decent looking one but both are inferior to the A4 and A5. If aesthetic is such a factor, Audi should have been the choice. No one likes an ugly girl talks trash about other girls.

Last edited by Robert; 04-07-2009 at 01:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 08:44 PM   #75
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

To me it's almost like the 3 owners are on the defensive to protect their almighty 3. With the exception of a very few members, the 3 owners seem to unilaterally attack the 1 and of course the styling front is the easiest one. There must be something to the 1 that strikes fear in the eyes of the 3 owners!
      04-06-2009, 08:55 PM   #76
scorcherjf
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
Honestly I thought the 5 was horrible when it first came out. Still think it looks bad, except for maybe the M5, which looks ok. The 3 series sedan doesn't look that great, especially the back. The 3 coupe is hot though. I think the 6 series is the ugliest.

I guess I like my 1 because it's the one that looks most like my old E46.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #77
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

1.Seems like a lot of 3series owners attack 1 series styling because thats the only place where 1 is possibly worse than the 3.
2. 128 is not exactly a looker but sumhow 135 with the M aero kit looks much better especially in black it looks very nice and clean. I didn't like the styling of 1 series until I saw a black 135 in person it totally changed my view towards 1 series. That being said though i still don't think 1 series is a pretty car i like it more for what it can do. Personally i woudn't wanna be seen in a 1 series it just doesn't have much class and presence a bmw should have.
3. Yahoo is definitely on crack for putting 1 series first on the list....
      04-07-2009, 11:02 AM   #78
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Well, you can certainly tell the shallow, vain, elitists in here.

No wonder BMW owners have always been held in such high regard by the general public.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:31 PM   #79
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
No way, new 7 is smokin hot.
      04-07-2009, 12:52 PM   #80
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

"BMW's new 1-Series sedan"

Stopped reading after that

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 12:55 PM   #81
Midgad
Free Skier
Rep
Drives: 128i Coupe, 6MT, M-Sports

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder!
My brother was recently checking out my 1er and said of it..."its like sex!"
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:10 PM   #82
135Eye
Accountants have fun 2!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i Silber

You know, i always thought (and so did most of the automotive press and the world) that the Z3 Coupe was one ugly as sin car. Really ugly. With horrible sales figures.

But you know what, it was also one of the best cars made by BMW, super fun to drive and very hardcore. I never had a dull moment behind the wheel of that car and still think about it to this day.

So how important are looks anyways? All I remeber is the drive behind the wheel. And even when they are important, it should only matter to the driver.

So relax people, drive and have fun, what do you get out of bashing someone elses car? ....
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #83
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Eye View Post
So how important are looks anyways? All I remeber is the drive behind the wheel. And even when they are important, it should only matter to the driver.

So relax people, drive and have fun, what do you get out of bashing someone elses car? ....
Because bmw fan base has changed from performance enthusiast to image enthusiast. It is more important how the car is perceived to perform rather than how it actually performs. The bark is now more important than the bite. Now, one can correlate that group of people who values image can only improve their image by belittling others. Because if they can't are they really better? Probably not.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #84
135Eye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Because bmw fan base has changed from performance enthusiast to image enthusiast. It is more important how the car is perceived to perform rather than how it actually performs. The bark is now more important than the bite. Now, one can correlate that group of people who values image can only improve their image by belittling others. Because if they can't are they really better? Probably not.
I think thats a complete myth. I remember in the '80s BMWs were known as Yuppie-mobiles. Especially the E30s. Now the E30 is venerated as BMWs true soul. Our fan base hasn't changed much IMO, I just think human memory sanitizes the past and glorifies the good. No car company is filled with only performance enthusiasts as you label it.

BMW has always had owners from all sorts of life, and its completley juvenile to expect every owner to conform to one set of philosophies on what makes a car special.

If someone calls my car ugly, then he probably thinks its ugly. Theres nothing wrong with that! For me to sit here and say hes not a true enthusiast because he called my car ugly is just plain stupid to be honest. He has a differnent set of tastes then me, I can accept that and move on with my life. I am happy with my car, so why do I need someone else's validation? Guess what I think alot of Ferraris are ugly. To judge my love of cars or enthusiasm for cars based on my dislike of Ferrari's styling would be really off base.

On the same token, I dont find the true value of the 135i to be in its styling, not even close. So if someone doesn't care for its styling, no sweat off my back
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:09 PM   #85
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Modern BMWs in general are ugly as corn-laden shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:17 PM   #86
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
While it's true that styling is subjective, people should realize that and not state that their idea of what's ugly is a universal fact, which is what ugly car lists tend to be. People thinking that their opinion of mechanical attractiveness is universal truth.

The other side of that coin is this fact: cars are mechanical devices, and fairly new to the human experience overall. We don't have a natural tendency toward an attractive automotive form, unlike a natural tendency towards human beauty or what colors we like (which is based as much on physiological factors as anything). What that means is that our appreciation of an automotive form is a learned trait, not a natural one. And that learned trait is based as much on knowledge of the subject as it is on any natural impulses. Since it's learned, it can be unlearned, as well, and base it as much on the function of a mechanical device as anything else.

We associate certain car shapes with beauty due to what we learn early in life. As such, a simply box vehicle, like a Scion xB might be considered unattractive, while a high end stainless steel refrigerator very likely will be considered attractive, even though it's a plain box. Why? It's due to our knowledge of what the mechanical function is.

That's why a well built Jeep CJ7 can be considered attractive, as well as a '60's Ferrari 275, a sedan like my E38, or a custom '59 Corvette. And yet none of them look anything like each other.

Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 03:19 PM   #87
135Eye
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
While it's true that styling is subjective, people should realize that and not state that their idea of what's ugly is a universal fact, which is what ugly car lists tend to be. People thinking that their opinion of mechanical attractiveness is universal truth.

The other side of that coin is this fact: cars are mechanical devices, and fairly new to the human experience overall. We don't have a natural tendency toward an attractive automotive form, unlike a natural tendency towards human beauty or what colors we like (which is based as much on physiological factors as anything). What that means is that our appreciation of an automotive form is a learned trait, not a natural one. And that learned trait is based as much on knowledge of the subject as it is on any natural impulses. Since it's learned, it can be unlearned, as well, and base it as much on the function of a mechanical device as anything else.

We associate certain car shapes with beauty due to what we learn early in life. As such, a simply box vehicle, like a Scion xB might be considered unattractive, while a high end stainless steel refrigerator very likely will be considered attractive, even though it's a plain box. Why? It's due to our knowledge of what the mechanical function is.

That's why a well built Jeep CJ7 can be considered attractive, as well as a '60's Ferrari 275, a sedan like my E38, or a custom '59 Corvette. And yet none of them look anything like each other.
Excellent post! I never thought of it that way, but very true.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2009, 06:14 PM   #88
cougfan335
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe MT, Montego/Saddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1BMW4fun View Post
e92 335i: Montego, Saddle Brown, Burl Walnut, MT, Sport, Prem, CW, PDC, Rear Shade. Mods: JB4, BMS Dual Intake, Cyba Scoops, Beyern Mesh Chrome 19" wheels, 15% F1 tint, LeatherZ weighted shift knob, body color reflectors, Matte black grill with Montego surround, middle lower grill removed, left and right lower grills painted black.
Appreciate 0