BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Fueling for upgraded turbos

06-07-2019, 03:41 PM   #1
Bghayes95
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Fueling for upgraded turbos

Hi All,

Planning on going with a Pure Stage 2 or a Big Boost 3.3 kit here in the next few months

The goal is a reliable ~500whp on 93.

I have read through a great deal of threads regarding fueling, some of which state with WMI you can get by without upgrading lpfp/hpfp. Others say an xdi hpfp is mandatory or both.

Who has first hand experience to tell me what fueling combination is going to support my goal with one of these big turbo kits
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:43 PM   #2
cecaa850
Captain
United_States
Rep

[QUOTE=Bghayes95;24883989]Hi All,

/QUOTE]

I didn't think that was possible.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:35 PM   #3
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bghayes95 View Post
Hi All,

Planning on going with a Pure Stage 2 or a Big Boost 3.3 kit here in the next few months

I have read through a great deal of threads regarding fueling, some of which state with WMI you can get by without upgrading lpfp/hpfp. Others say an xdi hpfp is mandatory or both.

Who has first hand experience to tell me what fueling combination is going to support my goal with one of these big turbo kits
500wHP can easily be achieved with port-WMI. You also get the benefit of added octane and cooling with WMI. You do not require the XDI pump in this case. The downside to WMI alone is that you're adding another system in play with the OEM systems and as such requires some "maintenance" if you will. But in all honestly, the maintenance is a moot point - I've been running port WMI for just over a year now and haven't had any issues that make me regret my choice of direction.

The XDI pump has more than enough flow to fuel 500wHP - I'm just not certain if you will be octane limited rather than fuel volume limited to hit your goal with the XDI pump alone. I've seen a few cases where being octane limited has occurred and I'm not well versed enough to say "Yes, the XDI pump alone will fulfill your goal".
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:41 PM   #4
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
500wHP can easily be achieved with port-WMI. You also get the benefit of added octane and cooling with WMI. You do not require the XDI pump in this case. The downside to WMI alone is that you're adding another system in play with the OEM systems and as such requires some "maintenance" if you will. But in all honestly, the maintenance is a moot point - I've been running port WMI for just over a year now and haven't had any issues that make me regret my choice of direction.

The XDI pump has more than enough flow to fuel 500wHP - I'm just not certain if you will be octane limited rather than fuel volume limited to hit your goal with the XDI pump alone. I've seen a few cases where being octane limited has occurred and I'm not well versed enough to say "Yes, the XDI pump alone will fulfill your goal".
When are you gonna strap that monster on a dyno already!

With what I was quote to get into an M2c, I'd rather go your route
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Bghayes95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardzM View Post
When are you gonna strap that monster on a dyno already!

With what I was quote to get into an M2c, I'd rather go your route
I just got a quote to move into a very lightly used m2c....very appealing but call me crazy, I’m just sick of buying cars.... N55 is lacking power and “out of the box” tuning potential for sure.

Last edited by Bghayes95; 06-07-2019 at 08:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #6
Bghayes95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

I appreciate the response. Certainly helps. Still torn between MWI or HPFP just the 2k for HPFP Kills me. Call me cheap!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #7
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
I just got a quote to move into a very lightly used m2c....very appealing but call me crazy, I’m just sick of buying cars.... N55 is lacking power and “out of the box” tuning potential for sure.
The used part most certainly helps. Nothing but new here.
Certain they are trying to steal the trade in.

I could basically deck out the m2(current) with the carbon fenders, hood, and truck for what I'd have to put down to even have the same monthly....that M2c ain't worth it.

Single turbo will keep things easy...catch some s55s off guard with a Pure Stage 2 haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 03:29 PM   #8
Bghayes95
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

What port WMI kit are you using/can recommend? I'm most likely going down this route
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 03:43 PM   #9
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
What port WMI kit are you using/can recommend? I'm most likely going down this route
I started off using the Fuel-It kit and it worked well. The only complaint I had is that if you ever had a leak at an injector or needed to get in to service the injectors you needed to remove the intake manifold completely. Aside from that small point the kit is phenomenal both performance wise and fit and finish.

I have since switched to using a "hybrid" setup I guess. I have the Phoenix Racing intake manifold with all of the Fuel-It kit goods attached to it minus the injector spacer plate obviously. The full on Phoenix Racing intake manifold puts the injectors and the fuel-rail on top of the intake manifold making it super easy to service. It also makes running the methanol line a tad bit easier, and it looks pretty cool which is a nice bonus!

As far as PI controller and WMI kit - I've always used the JB4 WMI kit with the JB4 and PI controller combo.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2019, 08:53 PM   #10
nothingman
Private NumNuts
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 GT4

Garage List
I have the PS2 with the XDI-35 HPFP making 517whp @22psi but I also run 100 octane race gas exclusively. I know of a couple of people making between 450-500whp @19psi on 93 octane, but they both also have the XDI pump.