BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > How many miles is normal for ED?

04-02-2019, 10:08 AM   #1
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Honda Accord V6 Hybrid

Hey guys, my car arrived today with over 250 miles on the odometer. Definitely seems suspicious since that's over 4 hours of driving and I didn't spend a single minute driving it yet.

I did pick up the car at BMW Welt, but didn't actually drive it since it was in the winter and they didn't have tires available.

My question is, does anybody know how many miles is typical for doing an ED but not driving the car? I'm sure they have to do more driving than normal just to set up the ED experience, but 250 still seems absurd.

I am considering opening a ticket with BMW about this as I also had to wait for my car an extra month while it conspicuously sat at the port.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:47 AM   #2
kt22cliffjumper
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F87 M2

250 miles is definitely not "normal". Mine had less than 2 additional miles after being dropped off at the Munich airport dropoff location. I think if you drop it off in Italy, they drive the car to Munich so that would add some miles but not if you dropped it off at the Welt.
2005 Silver Grey M3 | SMG | Xenon | sunroof delete | manual nappa leather/cloth seats | TC Kline D/A coilover 450F/500R with TCK camber plates and TCK RSM | BMW Motorsports 4.10 LSD | Powerflex RTAB | Vibra-Tech engine/trans mounts | Stoptech 4 piston F/R BBK with slotted 2-piece rotors | BBS RS-GT 18"

Last edited by kt22cliffjumper; 04-02-2019 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: clerification
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:50 AM   #3
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kt22cliffjumper View Post
250 miles is definitely not "normal". Mine had less than 2 additional miles. I think if you drop it off in Italy, they drive the car to Munich so that would add some miles but not if you dropped it off at the Welt.
Yeah they were supposed to truck it from the Welt to the port (they even made me pay for transport).

I'm pretty nervous now.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 11:52 AM   #4
FD777
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Pickup at the Welt the car had 5 km.
Drive from the Welt to Munich Airport (closest drop-off), +25 miles. Less if they trucked it.
From drop-off at Munich Airport to pick-up at the dealership, +7 miles.

250 miles is excessive, I'd ask why.

Last edited by FD777; 04-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.. Reason: Correction for miles added.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
srwatters
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M340i, '16 X3

Garage List
Interesting... Here's my situation. I did the same as you and met the car at the Welt (on 2/15), but didn't drive it. I paid the 85 Euro fee to have it trucked to the drop off point (Munich airport). When it arrived in Galveston last Wednesday (3/27) and popped up on the BMW Connected app, it showed 29 miles on the clock. I took a screen shot and sent an email inquiry to BMW NA "special sales" (Euro Delivery) asking why. Here is what I received back:

Hello Mr. Watters,

I have heard back from our colleagues in Munich and we have been informed that they are doing some construction at the Munich airport and drop off location, so the vehicle was brought via flatbed truck to the Munich drop off location for inspection with a drop off agent and from there then had to be brought to a secure parking area as due to the construction of the airport, vehicles are not being left overnight, this did involve the vehicle to be driven to the secure location by a professional driver, and had to then be driven to the loading zone for transport to the port of exit.

They have expressed their apologies that the construction unfortunately hindered parking the vehicle at the drop off location.

I'm not going to complain about 29 miles as long as there is no damage to the car. Heck, it's 29 miles closer to break in. That, however, is far less concerning than 250 miles. I would send them a message and ask why there are so many miles on the car.
      04-02-2019, 02:16 PM   #6
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by srwatters View Post
Interesting... Here's my situation. I did the same as you and met the car at the Welt (on 2/15), but didn't drive it. I paid the 85 Euro fee to have it trucked to the drop off point (Munich airport). When it arrived in Galveston last Wednesday (3/27) and popped up on the BMW Connected app, it showed 29 miles on the clock. I took a screen shot and sent an email inquiry to BMW NA "special sales" (Euro Delivery) asking why. Here is what I received back:

Hello Mr. Watters,

I have heard back from our colleagues in Munich and we have been informed that they are doing some construction at the Munich airport and drop off location, so the vehicle was brought via flatbed truck to the Munich drop off location for inspection with a drop off agent and from there then had to be brought to a secure parking area as due to the construction of the airport, vehicles are not being left overnight, this did involve the vehicle to be driven to the secure location by a professional driver, and had to then be driven to the loading zone for transport to the port of exit.

They have expressed their apologies that the construction unfortunately hindered parking the vehicle at the drop off location.

I'm not going to complain about 29 miles as long as there is no damage to the car. Heck, it's 29 miles closer to break in. That, however, is far less concerning than 250 miles. I would send them a message and ask why there are so many miles on the car.
Quick update for you and everyone else:

I actually saw the car just now and it only has 33 miles on the odometer. I was seeing 251 on the BMW Connected App, I'm not sure why it was showing differently on the app but crisis is averted!
Appreciate 3
NEfan5082658.50
samsamdar569.50
      04-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

LOL, I drove my car from Welt to the Airport dropoff and it arrived with low 30's on the odo
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 02:50 PM   #8
Ceramic Rabbit
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
LOL, I drove my car from Welt to the Airport dropoff and it arrived with low 30's on the odo
Yeah mine got held up at the port for a month so I think it went through some extra inspection that properly put more miles on it
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 03:05 PM   #9
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
I'm glad it wasn't really 250 miles. I would be so livid.

Anyway, congrats!

We need to have a NOVA meetup soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
NOS4A2
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

Anyway, congrats!

This! I'll join you guys sometime in the fall!
Appreciate 2
      04-02-2019, 07:05 PM   #11
somberlaine
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (ED 6/6/19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post

Anyway, congrats!

This! I'll join you guys sometime in the fall!
Happy to join you guys when I get the car States side. Hopefully late July!
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      04-03-2019, 11:58 PM   #12
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceramic Rabbit View Post
Hey guys, my car arrived today with over 250 miles on the odometer. Definitely seems suspicious since that's over 4 hours of driving and I didn't spend a single minute driving it yet.

I did pick up the car at BMW Welt, but didn't actually drive it since it was in the winter and they didn't have tires available.

My question is, does anybody know how many miles is typical for doing an ED but not driving the car? I'm sure they have to do more driving than normal just to set up the ED experience, but 250 still seems absurd.

I am considering opening a ticket with BMW about this as I also had to wait for my car an extra month while it conspicuously sat at the port.
Thanks for now making me nervous, mine has been @ NJ port since 03/21, scheduled to reach CT dealer 04-12

Same as you, welt 02-12
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 12:24 AM   #13
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Hello Mr. Watters,

I'm happy you got your car but How the F did you get yours so quick when your EU delivery was after mine?

Jersey port since 03/21, just chilling, dealer is just another 100 miles
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 07:54 PM   #14
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEfan508 View Post
Quote:

Hello Mr. Watters,

I'm happy you got your car but How the F did you get yours so quick when your EU delivery was after mine?

Jersey port since 03/21, just chilling, dealer is just another 100 miles
There is no rhyme or reason. It the luck of the draw on shipping to port, loading on boat, route of boat, and time at VDC.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 01:00 PM   #15
NEfan508
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ask for the reason why the wait, Dealer contacted port, car manual needed to be updated

Car built late January, home April 12
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #16
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

My first ED I did right at 1,200 miles, my second one I did 21 miles (from BMW welt to Airport drop off)
Appreciate 0